Any aussie shooting slugs through a PCP?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Any aussie shooting slugs through a PCP?

Post by in2anity » 07 Nov 2018, 10:40 am

Looking at picking up a PCP - (actually a high-powered pcp with 40ft/lbs++ at the muzzle to shoot RMS silhouettes). Was all geede up for the FX Streamline .25, but am a little discouraged at the cost of factory pellets... plus I want to get into casting for it to save some money.

This has lead me on an investigation into casting and shooting slugs through PCPs, which seems to indicate the factory smooth-twist barrels on the FX rifles might not be so good for slugs...?

QUESTION: are there any pcps available in aus that are known to shoot slugs well out of the box? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
In2.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Any aussie shooting slugs through a PCP?

Post by bigpete » 07 Nov 2018, 11:44 am

A mate of mine has an air force Texan 45 which he has used to shoot 1moa groups using 405gn .458 lee projectiles I made for my 4570
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 07 Nov 2018, 12:24 pm

bigpete wrote:A mate of mine has an air force Texan 45 which he has used to shoot 1moa groups using 405gn .458 lee projectiles I made for my 4570

Wow that is impressive BP - although it might be a bit of overkill for the poor little rimfire silhouettes :o I'm more looking a slug-thrower in the 40ft-lbs to 100ft-lbs region...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by eddahenry » 07 Nov 2018, 10:30 pm

FX make a slug barrel kit why not get one of those ?
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 08 Nov 2018, 8:52 am

eddahenry wrote:FX make a slug barrel kit why not get one of those ?

definitely an option - cheers :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Nov 2018, 8:02 pm

I thought PCP was angle dust and this thread has me scratching my head. What are you looking to pick up to shoot slugs into?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 09 Nov 2018, 8:01 am

SCJ429 wrote:I thought PCP was angle dust and this thread has me scratching my head.

Lol what are you smoking!? ;)

SCJ429 wrote:What are you looking to pick up to shoot slugs into?

Sorry I'm not exactly sure what your asking here - I don't know which (Australian-available) PCP air rifles natively support slugs, that's the point of this thread. As I said in the op, I've got my eye on the FX Streamline .25cal, potentially with the slug liner, if that answers your question.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 09 Nov 2018, 4:51 pm

:?: I thought all air rifles shot slugs... :?:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 13 Nov 2018, 10:02 am

bigpete wrote::?: I thought all air rifles shot slugs... :?:

Possibly. With respect to terminology these days a distinction is being made between traditional skirted pellets, and classical "projectile-looking" slugs that are much more easily cast, not to mention have significantly higher BCs. Most air guns are designed for the skirted pellets, but manufacturers are seeing the demand for slugs and are starting to make guns/barrels/barrel-liners that are designed to shoot the ballistically superior slugs. That's what I'm looking for; a PCP in Australia that is known to shoot the slugs well.

At least this is my current understanding; admittedly this is all new territory for me so I might be wrong! :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Nov 2018, 9:35 am

The new Steyr PCP's in .22 cal are the current flavour in air rifle silhouette. No-one is casting their own pellets, they aren't that expensive.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 14 Nov 2018, 11:01 am

Gamerancher wrote:The new Steyr PCP's in .22 cal are the current flavour in air rifle silhouette. No-one is casting their own pellets, they aren't that expensive.

It's funny you mention that specific rifle - a bloke brought exactly one of those to our RMS setup, and the 22cal pellet couldn't knock down the 100m rams. Of course normally air rifle distances are only out to 41m, in which case the 22 would suffice, but I want to plink the RMS targets for practice. Therefore I will need the power of at least the 25cal. Indeed 17 and 22cal pellets are cheap, but 25cal and 30cal on the other hand - not so much :(

A 22cal shooting slugs however... that's a whole other kettle of fish... they would have significantly better knockdown and ballistics. Casting slugs would also be a considerable cost-saving.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by groundhog » 14 Nov 2018, 3:26 pm

in2anity wrote:
Gamerancher wrote:The new Steyr PCP's in .22 cal are the current flavour in air rifle silhouette. No-one is casting their own pellets, they aren't that expensive.

It's funny you mention that specific rifle - a bloke brought exactly one of those to our RMS setup, and the 22cal pellet couldn't knock down the 100m rams. Of course normally air rifle distances are only out to 41m, in which case the 22 would suffice, but I want to plink the RMS targets for practice. Therefore I will need the power of at least the 25cal. Indeed 17 and 22cal pellets are cheap, but 25cal and 30cal on the other hand - not so much :(

A 22cal shooting slugs however... that's a whole other kettle of fish... they would have significantly better knockdown and ballistics. Casting slugs would also be a considerable cost-saving.

I don't know what pressure he is running but a properly set up Steyr Hunting 5 SA will take down rams every time at distances greater than 100m.

As for a cost saving, 500 22 cal pellets is $25. You reckon you can cast cheaper?
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 14 Nov 2018, 4:22 pm

Umm, isn’t shooting air rifle silhouettes practice for shooting rimfire silhouettes which is practice for shooting centrefire silhouettes, sorry but I think you are looking for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist but if you want to go down that path then maybe invest in a FX Crown, order the new 22cal XTwist slug liner and see if you can import slugs from Nielsen in the States, can't see that being a money saving exercise.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 14 Nov 2018, 5:36 pm

Strikey wrote:Umm, isn’t shooting air rifle silhouettes practice for shooting rimfire silhouettes which is practice for shooting centrefire silhouettes, sorry but I think you are looking for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

Umm, yes it is, that’s exactly what it is, a new/novel way to have some fun with a new toy and to practice for other classes. I didnt realize there was a problem with me wanting to do that...
Last edited by in2anity on 14 Nov 2018, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by groundhog » 14 Nov 2018, 6:19 pm

in2anity wrote:
Strikey wrote:Umm, isn’t shooting air rifle silhouettes practice for shooting rimfire silhouettes which is practice for shooting centrefire silhouettes, sorry but I think you are looking for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

Umm, yes it is, that’s exactly what it is, a new/novel way to practice for other classes. I didnt realize there was a problem with me wanting to do that...

I think what Strikey is referring to is that we use Air Rifle (1/10th Scale) to practice for Rimfire (1/5th scale) to perfect our Centerfire (Full scale).
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 14 Nov 2018, 6:46 pm

groundhog wrote:
in2anity wrote:

Umm, yes it is, that’s exactly what it is, a new/novel way to practice for other classes. I didnt realize there was a problem with me wanting to do that...

I think what Strikey is referring to is that we use Air Rifle (1/10th Scale) to practice for Rimfire (1/5th scale) to perfect our Centerfire (Full scale).

Ok - but where I shoot, there’s only a RMS setup. Anyways we digress, my reasons for wanting one are a bit off topic - I also want to hunt with slugs.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 15 Nov 2018, 12:19 am

I still reckon go the Texan airforce 45 lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ecobogan » 13 Dec 2018, 9:51 pm

bigpete wrote:A mate of mine has an air force Texan 45 which he has used to shoot 1moa groups using 405gn .458 lee projectiles I made for my 4570

The Texan caught my eye too the other day. What would you liken the muzzle report to? Heard they were on the loud side
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 14 Dec 2018, 4:55 am

The video he sent me it sounded pretty bloody loud. Guess you don't get anything for nothing though
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ecobogan » 14 Dec 2018, 5:46 am

Yes indeed true enough. Saw this the other day
https://youtu.be/Tdvsv6cRacU
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles