Gas Assisted Double Action Only Rifle

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Gas Assisted Double Action Only Rifle

Post by Crazy » 20 Nov 2018, 3:41 pm

I have seen the lever release firearms that have come up on the market such as the Veney Carron Speed Line and the Savage A22R i have also seen the Double action, Single action revolving carbines on the market such as the Alfa Proj and the Rossi Circuit Judge. So it got me thinking, what if someone created a Australian made semi-auto where the bolt cycles the rounds but doesn't reset the hammer. So the trigger would reset and fire the hammer just like a double action revolver. So that got me wondering some more if it would even be legal. What are your thought's about this and would anyone know if it would be legal? Cheers.
Last edited by Crazy on 20 Nov 2018, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Gas Assisted Double Action Only Rifle

Post by bladeracer » 20 Nov 2018, 3:56 pm

Crazy wrote:I have seen the lever release firearms that have come up on the market such as the Veney Carron Speed Line and the Savage A22R i have also seen the Double action, Single action revolving carbines on the market such as the Alfa Proj and the Rossi Circuit Judge. So it got me thinking, what is someone created a Australian made semi-auto where the bolt cycles the rounds but doesn't reset the hammer. So the trigger would reset and fire the hammer just like a double action revolver. So that got me wondering some more if it would even be legal. What are your thought's about this and would anyone know if it would be legal? Cheers.

Would be hard to make it not easily convertible to semi-auto I would think.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Crazy » 20 Nov 2018, 4:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Crazy wrote:I have seen the lever release firearms that have come up on the market such as the Veney Carron Speed Line and the Savage A22R i have also seen the Double action, Single action revolving carbines on the market such as the Alfa Proj and the Rossi Circuit Judge. So it got me thinking, what is someone created a Australian made semi-auto where the bolt cycles the rounds but doesn't reset the hammer. So the trigger would reset and fire the hammer just like a double action revolver. So that got me wondering some more if it would even be legal. What are your thought's about this and would anyone know if it would be legal? Cheers.

Would be hard to make it not easily convertible to semi-auto I would think.

That is true but the same could be said for the lever release firearms on the market. :thumbsup:
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 20 Nov 2018, 6:26 pm

So a rifle version of a Glock..................Nah no way that would get through.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Crazy » 20 Nov 2018, 8:49 pm

Wombat wrote:So a rifle version of a Glock..................Nah no way that would get through.

Something along the lines of a Glock, but i was thinking more like a physical hammer rather then a striker. I was thinking something along the lines of a double action revolver where a hammer that is lifted rather then a striker. But then again i can see why it wouldn't be legal, but then that raises the question of how double action revolving carbines are allowed.
:unknown:
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 20 Nov 2018, 10:04 pm

Crazy wrote:
Wombat wrote:So a rifle version of a Glock..................Nah no way that would get through.

Something along the lines of a Glock, but i was thinking more like a physical hammer rather then a striker. I was thinking something along the lines of a double action revolver where a hammer that is lifted rather then a striker. But then again i can see why it wouldn't be legal, but then that raises the question of how double action revolving carbines are allowed.
:unknown:

I own a circuit judge, and its my understanding that it all depends on the finite definition of 'semi-auto' which naturally varies by state. Most "normal" states (those except WA and NSW) define semi-auto as a single state trigger fire, eg pull trigger - bang - trigger reset - pull trigger - bang etc etc

So a double action rifle is technically a two stage trigger, pull it half way and the hammer cocks, pull it the final way and it sets off the hammer, then release the trigger to turn barrel..

At least thats how i understand the laws.. could be wrong.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JWD40 » 21 Nov 2018, 10:31 am

I'm not convinced it would be worth it. Why would you want to do this?
If the answer is just for s**ts and gigs, then each to their own I guess

But if you're hoping for it to serve some kind of practical need, I don't know that it would. At least, i'm not convinced anyway.

Thinking about pistols first, you've got:
single action
double action, and
semi-auto's (which come in both single or double action, both of which are almost the same thing)

Single action (semi-auto or not) generally results in higher accuracy. Who doesn't want better accuracy...

Double action generally is less accurate, due to a firmer, longer trigger pull. Although in some cases will decrease the chances of accidental firing, something that could be beneficial, at the cost of accuracy. This might be useful to someone who needs a pistol for work, but isn’t highly trained.

Unless a competition requires otherwise, most people who use a double action pistol for sports shooting will likely use the pistol in signal action mode to increase their accuracy.

Going back to rifles, the primary reason to use a rifle instead of a pistol is accuracy over range, so it seems counterproductive to then introduce a feature that reduces the accuracy. Agreed that you could over spec your rifle on range capability and shoot closer range targets with next to no difference in accuracy. But rifles capable of longer range are generally higher quality and more expensive or higher powered.
I would argue that it’s generally better to obtain a rifle suited to the environment (with hunting in mind). It would be unnecessarily expensive and potentially dangerous to pick a high quality .308 only to use it on rabbits at 25m.

I’m only arguing from a practical point of view, I can't see it being a popular feature.
But if it’s just for a laugh, then by all means, carry on vaporising rabbits at 25m with your double action .308. As long as it ends up on YouTube for me to laugh at too.

PS. I should add that I've never used a double action rifle, only a double action pistol. But i didn't like the trigger feeling in double action mode, and i definitely wouldn't want it on my rifle.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 20 Jan 2019, 12:02 pm

This- https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... rovidence/ Is a new non semi auto, that fires on trigger pull only.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GojiraSteve » 21 Jan 2019, 12:20 pm

Wombat wrote:This- https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... rovidence/ Is a new non semi auto, that fires on trigger pull only.

Dude! that looks awesome. Good luck ever seeing them approved for sale in NSW though. :x
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 21 Jan 2019, 12:28 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:
Wombat wrote:This- https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... rovidence/ Is a new non semi auto, that fires on trigger pull only.

Dude! that looks awesome. Good luck ever seeing them approved for sale in NSW though. :x

Importing them would be a no go. The banned the OAF - an orange gun - by comparing it to a scary black rifle. They will find a way to do the same to this too.

I know of a few Australian manufacturers who are attending Shot Show this year and no doubt they will have a close look at this very gun, and maybe it plants a seed :allegedly:
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws