rabbits and hares with the 17

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

rabbits and hares with the 17

Post by marksman » 20 Nov 2018, 5:43 pm

I have been going out and getting into the rabbits a bit lately but keep forgetting the camera so this time I just took a photo at home
this is one of my favourite rifles and rounds, a brno zkw 465 in 17 ackley hornet with a vx1 4-12 scope
inspired by photos bigfellascott posted a little while ago head shooting rabbits at distance and wanting some more southern fried rabbit
here is what I kept after a two hour session on a warren ranged at 255, the hares were shot along the fence line close to the warren

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: rabbits and hares with the 17

Post by Gaznazdiak » 20 Nov 2018, 6:00 pm

Marksman, you lucking fegend!

Truly, we are not worthy.

:thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Nov 2018, 6:12 pm

Nice shooting mate, did you keep any for the pot or just turn em into dog tucker?

Edit just realised you mentioned eating em - nothing wrong with a good feed of bunnies but ya can keep them bloody hares, way to strong for my tastes :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 20 Nov 2018, 11:17 pm

Ah thats great stuff marksman...just bludy great stuff. :thumbsup:

i have to ask...is that 255 imperials or metrics...?

Either way thats some mighty fine lead flinging,...& with a hornet at that range... :shock: .. :clap: :clap:

Also, you say thats what you kept...so what did you throw away...?...(& why...?)

Dam i gotta go visit a patch now...this just gave me instant withdrawls...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 21 Nov 2018, 7:01 am

marksman wrote:

It's pictures like that that fill me with envy.
I haven't seen a rabbit in my area for 10+ years although occasionally you see a hare but never when you have a rifle to hand or if you go looking for them.
The worst of it is that my wife makes a truly unique and excellent rabbit pate and she has been in a mood to make some lately.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 21 Nov 2018, 7:14 am

Nice work!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Reminds me of the old joke. ..how many animals can ya fit.on the toilet seat??
One pussy and a thousand hares!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Nov 2018, 11:13 am

What a haul :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 21 Nov 2018, 12:31 pm

Nice one Marksman.
I'll have to take a photo myself next time seeing as a few of you get so excited lol. I took 12 bunnies on Sunday just gone for a farmer I'm helping out and 2 weeks before that, 9 bunnies and 5 hares on the same block.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Nov 2018, 3:27 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Nice one Marksman.
I'll have to take a photo myself next time seeing as a few of you get so excited lol. I took 12 bunnies on Sunday just gone for a farmer I'm helping out and 2 weeks before that, 9 bunnies and 5 hares on the same block.

And no pics ya selfish bustad...!! :thumbsdown:
:sarcasm:

Share the love man....!!! :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pete1 » 21 Nov 2018, 4:16 pm

While I'm no fan of 17hmr, but thats a good shooting :)
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 Nov 2018, 4:57 pm

Stix wrote:Ah thats great stuff marksman...just bludy great stuff. :thumbsup:

i have to ask...is that 255 imperials or metrics...?

Either way thats some mighty fine lead flinging,...& with a hornet at that range... :shock: .. :clap: :clap:

Also, you say thats what you kept...so what did you throw away...?...(& why...?)

Dam i gotta go visit a patch now...this just gave me instant withdrawls...

that's 255 yards Stix
my scopes are all moa so it just seems strange to adjust in yards and shoot in meters like so many do at the range :unknown:
I do have one heathen milrad scope but its not this one
and this is what it's all about

and Pete1
it's a 17 ackley hornet not a hmr :drinks: its a wildcat made from the 22 hornet :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Nov 2018, 6:41 pm

Is that there rabbit deep fried marksman...?
(It looks it)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 21 Nov 2018, 8:14 pm

deep fried southern fried rabbit, bigfellascott style :thumbsup: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 11 Dec 2018, 2:59 pm

Trip to the farmers block this morning, yielded 10 bunnies. Only 6 in the photo - 2x I could not recover (thick prickly bushes, 1x had his guts blown out so he stayed where he was and I was not picking up what was left of the last which I annihilated with the .243 :violin: .
Attachments
20181211_105010.jpg
Dog food
20181211_105010.jpg (485.65 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Dec 2018, 10:28 pm

What makes me envious is that green stuff you've got em laid out on.
Lucky bustard.

Good shootin by the way
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 Dec 2018, 11:17 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Trip to the farmers block this morning, yielded 10 bunnies. Only 6 in the photo - 2x I could not recover (thick prickly bushes, 1x had his guts blown out so he stayed where he was and I was not picking up what was left of the last which I annihilated with the .243 :violin: .

Yea baby...!! Nice one... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 12 Dec 2018, 7:13 am

Nice work YB :thumbsup:
Like others I do get jealous of people who have the opportunity to take rabbits. While there are plenty of them up here there are f@#kall in my immediate area and the only place I could access was sold to a corporation last year :violin: :violin:
:thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 13 Dec 2018, 8:58 am

I must admit that I am a bit envious of your rabbit haul but I have been seeing them around a little lately and so I may actually get ONE this year. It seems they are around and then just disappear.
Our wallaby population is very high though and the 17H is also perfect for this task. Went out last night and got some dog tucker. Fast and flat shooting.
What weight projectile are you running? I am running a 17gn projectile but we have very still nights with little wind. Placement is a must, but the cartridge is so easy to shoot it make for high confidence shooting.
Head shooting rabbits at that range is no small task, nice haul.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control