Which Electronic Ear Plugs?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Which Electronic Ear Plugs?

Post by JSS » 11 Sep 2018, 4:08 pm

Hi Guys,

The other day my Mrs asked me what i want for my birthday which is still a couple of months away so i was impressed with her forward planning (she must want something).
But then she made the terrible mistake of saying "but no guns, i'm not buying you a gun" needless to say she doesn't love them like we enlightened people do, so i thought that's fair enough but her comment was still like a red flag to a bull, so no gun that's fine, but she didn't say no accessories :D

So I've got some electronic ear muffs for the range and some custom moulded ear plugs with those pressure activated things in them but i was thinking what about some electronic custom moulded plugs which would work for both range and hunting.
These were recommended and i think are what i'll be going for https://www.earmold.com.au/cens-digital-electronic-earplugs/cens-proflex-digital-2.htm but i just thought i'd ask if anyone had any other suggestions or recommendations of anything similar or better that's out there.

Cheers
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Which Electronic Ear Plugs?

Post by groundhog » 11 Sep 2018, 4:17 pm

I have a set of the CENS DX-5's and they are good. Very comfortable and the sort of thing you don't take out. They can be a bit annoying in wind as the mics tend to play it back as white noise (Might be soothing to some) but they are graet when spotlighting as you can hear a conversation and still be instantly ready for a shot.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 11 Sep 2018, 4:54 pm

I bought some of these https://www.sportear.com/products/ghost ... -essential Dealer/trader in Melbourne - less than 200 if I remember correctly. There's also a version that connect with Bluetooth to other devices.
I like them. USB recharge - not replaceable battery type.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 11 Sep 2018, 4:54 pm

Thanks Groundhog, i was wondering about them getting annoying leaving them in for hours so it's good to know that they're ok. Do you make use of the extra settings on the dx5? I did have a look at them too but wondered if i'd really only use the 2 settings anyway, although the idea of comms is pretty cool if your mates have them too. You might have just cost the mrs an extra couple of bucks :lol:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JSS » 11 Sep 2018, 4:58 pm

Thanks 49er, but those kind of plugs never seem to fit my ears properly & always want to fall out after a bit, I've tried so many different types over the years that i gave up on them.
I just want something i can throw in and leave in all day or night and forget about them.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by groundhog » 11 Sep 2018, 5:50 pm

JSS wrote:Thanks Groundhog, i was wondering about them getting annoying leaving them in for hours so it's good to know that they're ok. Do you make use of the extra settings on the dx5? I did have a look at them too but wondered if i'd really only use the 2 settings anyway, although the idea of comms is pretty cool if your mates have them too. You might have just cost the mrs an extra couple of bucks :lol:

I am still playing around with the settings, but mainly use Range and Hunter modes at the moment. I am guessing the more I have them in the more I will play with the settings and find the ones that I like. I have a major comp coming up so I will see what I like there.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by smithy18772 » 13 Sep 2018, 1:56 pm

JSS wrote:Thanks 49er, but those kind of plugs never seem to fit my ears properly & always want to fall out after a bit, I've tried so many different types over the years that i gave up on them.
I just want something i can throw in and leave in all day or night and forget about them.

these sit in your ear a bit differently to normal ear buds and are quite secure.
i have tried them in my ears and like you can't handle normal earbuds but these were good but i haven't brought a pair of my own yet to comment on quality and effectiveness but will be soon.
smithy18772
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Sep 2018, 2:45 pm

If only there was something we could attatch to our firearms to easily and safely protect our hearing and still maintain our situational awareness.

Oh wait......
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 13 Sep 2018, 4:40 pm

Thanks Smithy i'll check them out.

Gaznaz the creation of such a thing would only be possible by pure witchcraft, and would surely be the most evil thing ever invented and would twist the very minds of those (Aussies) who possessed them into homicidal mass murderers. Oh i shudder to even think of such an invention.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Sep 2018, 4:45 pm

JSS wrote:Thanks Smithy i'll check them out.

Gaznaz the creation of such a thing would only be possible by pure witchcraft, and would surely be the most evil thing ever invented and would twist the very minds of those (Aussies) who possessed them into homicidal mass murderers. Oh i shudder to even think of such an invention.

:lol: :lol:
Yeah, you're right, I'm feeling my inner Milat coming on just suggesting such heresy.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 13 Sep 2018, 5:21 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
JSS wrote:Thanks Smithy i'll check them out.

:lol: :lol:
Yeah, you're right, I'm feeling my inner Milat coming on just suggesting such heresy.

Yep me too, i'm googling "bell towers in crowded locations" as we speak. :lol: :lol:

Come to think of it, none of those crazy mass shooting American f@#kwits ever used suppressors did they.........
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Sep 2018, 5:53 pm

Yes it's strange, is it not, given that one of the reasons given for banning is that those naughty criminals would take advantage and commit all sorts of "silent" killings with them.
Because it's only logical that the only reason they aren't already is that it's illegal.

I mean, that's why nobody takes drugs, right?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 15 Oct 2018, 4:31 pm

Well after doing some more searching i haven't been able to beat the Cens DX5, so went in and got the moulds done today, they get sent off & do whatever they do, should have them back in about 4 to 5 weeks.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JSS » 22 Nov 2018, 7:08 am

Well got a call yesterday that my Cens were ready and waiting at my local GS. I have to say first impressions are pretty good. I also got the comms kit with them which goes around your neck and plugs into your phone & allows you to talk to & hear another person and listen to music through you phone. The music volume isn't very loud but then again that's not what i got them for anyway so is an ok little bonus.
Now i need to get out and test them with some bang bang.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grumpy » 21 Dec 2018, 1:25 pm

No1_49er wrote:I bought some of these https://www.sportear.com/products/ghost ... -essential Dealer/trader in Melbourne - less than 200 if I remember correctly. There's also a version that connect with Bluetooth to other devices.
I like them. USB recharge - not replaceable battery type.

I’ve been using these for a couple of months now & quite happy with them. About the only thing that I can fault with them is lowest setting on the volume is still a bit high for my liking when shooting at the indoor range.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by FNQ » 15 Mar 2019, 9:24 pm

How are the Cens???
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 15 Mar 2019, 9:36 pm

FNQ wrote:How are the Cens???

??? Cens?
Maybe you can expand on that a little?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 23 Mar 2019, 8:42 am

FNQ wrote:How are the Cens???

They're bloody awesome, not cheap but awesome!! Super comfortable, better noise cancelling than anything else i've used, and so sensitive you can hear a mouse fart at 100 meters.
I recommend them 100%
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 24 Mar 2019, 6:21 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:If only there was something we could attatch to our firearms to easily and safely protect our hearing and still maintain our situational awareness.

Oh wait......

Totally agree, personally I'd rather have access to suppressors than semi-autos. Just sayin'
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 24 Apr 2019, 7:34 pm

I agree about sliencers. Just some random information is that there is still nothing that truly protects ears from gun noise.

Guns run at 150-170DB( and there is debate amont experts whether we can even accurately measure impulse noise that high yet, it may be even higher). Hearing protection reduces noise 20-35DB. If you do the math you can still be getting very loud impulses getting through....

Wearing two sets of hearing protection does not add both reduction values together. Aka plugs at 25db and muffs at 25db does not equal 50DB reduction. You only get an extra 5-10db reduction for the extra set.

The reason is even when the auditory canal is blocked, sound still penetrates to the ears as vibration through the teeth, front of the face and skull, particularly the bones around the ear. This is called bone conduction.

There is no way to block most bone conduction, though old school ear muffs with heavy clamping force will at least reduce it to the bones around the ear.

Also worth noting the canal blockers( foam plugs and cens etc) ratings are considered to be most accurate for continual industrial noise, not impulse noise.

Sorry to play devils advocate, of course any hearing protection is better than none and its great to see the young generation wearing them as ours was very lax. I wish someone would have mentioned the above back when I was 20. I probably wouldn't have listened but anyway :D
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment