lithgow recall

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

lithgow recall

Post by albat » 25 Jun 2018, 7:33 pm

just a heads up for the lithgow owners here the la102 in .223 has a recall for cracked barrels and must be returned for rebarrelling !!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: lithgow recall

Post by JimTom » 25 Jun 2018, 9:50 pm

Here is hoping it is only an issue with the .223 and the other caliber don’t have the same issue.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 25 Jun 2018, 10:30 pm

From their FB page and link for those affected https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4428831/PRODUCT-RECALL-LA102-223-Calibre

PRODUCT RECALL
LA102 CROSSOVER RIFLE IN .223 REM CALIBRE

It has come to our attention that there is a potential barrel defect affecting the LA102 CrossOver rifle in .223 REM calibre.

The potential defect is isolated to LA102 CrossOver rifles in .223 REM calibre only, which have been available for sale between November 2016 to present. Accordingly, Lithgow Arms is taking precautionary action to recall all of the rifles meeting that description.

WHAT IS THE DEFECT?
Over time small cracks may develop in the barrel of the LA102 CrossOver rifle in .223 REM calibre.

WHAT ARE THE HAZARDS?
Potential injury from escaping gas from the failed barrel.

WHAT SHOULD THE OWNER OF A LA102 CROSSOVER RIFLE IN .223 REM CALIBRE DO?
Owners of a LA102 CrossOver rifle in .223 REM calibre should STOP using their rifle immediately and arrange for the return of the rifle to Lithgow Arms via their local gun shop.

Gun shops will send the rifles to the Lithgow Arms factory, who will inspect and replace the rifle’s barrel as necessary and return the rifle to the gun shop for return to the owner.

There will be no cost incurred by the owner during the barrel replacement process.

Once you have returned your rifle to your local gun shop please register the return via the following link: https://www.surveygizmo.com/…/PRODUCT-RECALL-LA102-223-Cali….

Registration via the above link will ensure that we are able to keep you up to date on the barrel replacement process and schedule, and will allow you to receive email updates throughout the process.
Lithgow Arms will contact you upon receipt of your rifle to the factory to confirm the barrel replacement and rifle return schedule.

Lithgow Arms has over 100 years’ experience in the design and manufacture of superior military and sporting shooter rifles. We stand by the quality and reliability of our products and service. Again, the safety of our customers is paramount.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Best Regards

THE TEAM at LITHGOW ARMS
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 26 Jun 2018, 8:02 am

What a way to establish a worldwide reputation for quality!
What use is bragging about all the most modern CNC, CAD, FEA and metrology equipment when this happens.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by albat » 26 Jun 2018, 8:14 am

you do now get a 10 year guarantee though now the horse as bolted ha ha !
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 26 Jun 2018, 8:15 am

you do now get a 10 year guarantee though now the horse as bolted ha ha !, needs to be transferable though or your resale will be crap
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 26 Jun 2018, 8:26 am

I believe the warranty is transferable.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 26 Jun 2018, 11:45 am

straightshooter wrote:What a way to establish a worldwide reputation for quality!
What use is bragging about all the most modern CNC, CAD, FEA and metrology equipment when this happens.

Seems to me that they have done the right thing. They've identified a fault which they have put their hand up for, recalled them and will replace the faulty barrels. What would their reputation be like if they didn't?
That reminds me; what about the "quality" of the Remlin lever actions (Marlins)? How is their reputation going? Not as good as Lithgow I would bet.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 26 Jun 2018, 2:03 pm

No1_49er wrote:
straightshooter wrote:What a way to establish a worldwide reputation for quality!

Seems to me that they have done the right thing. They've identified a fault which they have put their hand up for, recalled them and will replace the faulty barrels. What would their reputation be like if they didn't?
That reminds me; what about the "quality" of the Remlin lever actions (Marlins)? How is their reputation going? Not as good as Lithgow I would bet.

Well put. +1

I'd much rather deal with a company who recognises a problem and recalls the issue rather than dealing with it on a individual warrantee basis as other do...

They must have learned their lesson after the LA101 feeding issue and the bad rap they got from that.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Cryptic » 26 Jun 2018, 6:39 pm

Update from Lithgow on FB for call centre.

Screenshot_20180626-183730.jpg
Screenshot_20180626-183730.jpg (239.2 KiB) Viewed 8672 times
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 26 Jun 2018, 8:25 pm

Got to give them credit for putting heir hands up and admitting there is a problem.
Wouldn’t be much of an operation if they swept it under the carpet.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 28 Jun 2018, 8:04 am

No1_49er wrote:

Please... I am not criticizing Lithgow in any way. Of course they have acted swiftly and appropriately as they should have.
I am lamenting the fact that a promising Australian firearms manufacturing export operation may now be seriously impaired by malicious WWW jibbering, to the possible extent that it may eventually be abandoned.

As for the the comparison with latter day Marlins, their problems have been and generally are due to the quality of work by Remlin's Mexican assembly robots and their lax standards of final inspection.
I have owned numerous Marlins since the 70's and only 1 has been so completely problem free that it didn't need some kind of tinkering to set it right. I still own three. This was never a big deal until WWW became commonplace then, one man's jibber became the next person's gospel truth.
But that is not the the real issue.
I don't recall that any of the numerous manufacturing complaints about Remlins involved a potential blow-up right next to the users face.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 28 Jun 2018, 10:54 am

straightshooter wrote:I don't recall that any of the numerous manufacturing complaints about Remlins involved a potential blow-up right next to the users face.

A friend of mine had a 17hmr Marlin do exactly that... blow up in his face. Lucky it wasn't worse and he was lucky not to be injured.

If all the Marlins you have owned, bar one, have needed significant work to operate as intended; why the hell do you keep buying them!??!

You go on to blame 'internet jibber' for destroying a company's reputation while engaging in 'internet jibber' that could be construed as disparaging Lithgow.

Lithgow have done the right thing in this recall and extending their warranty. As long as they follow up with prompt turn around and good customer service, their reputation will only benefit from it.

All they need to do now is stick to their advertised release dates! :lol:
Last edited by Gwion on 28 Jun 2018, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by marksman » 28 Jun 2018, 11:33 am

good for them for the recall

hey straightshooter have you seen this one :unknown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS_GDpZM3ak

it has been pushed to the wayside as user neglect by Remington :thumbsdown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 28 Jun 2018, 12:14 pm

Good on them for the recall, in this day and age of corporate expediency and "deny,deny,deny" , never seen a manufacturer not make a mistake , its how they respond to them that is more important.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Jun 2018, 5:58 pm

No matter what , you can't condemn honesty and that is exactly what Lithgow have done
Admitted to the nation that they slipped up in some way and offer to fix it for nothing
I take my hat off to them and commend their management for being so honest
We have to get the priority right a couple of weeks without our rifle is far better than loosing a loved one and this is what
Lithgow believes by the recall
Member-Deleted

Post by straightshooter » 29 Jun 2018, 7:17 am

Gwion wrote:
A friend of mine had a 17hmr Marlin do exactly that... blow up in his face. Lucky it wasn't worse and he was lucky not to be injured.

So what part of the 17HMR Marlin actually failed in this blow up?
What was the outcome?
How did your friend follow up the failure with the importer?
How did they honour their warranty obligations?
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 29 Jun 2018, 8:39 am

marksman wrote:good for them for the recall
hey straightshooter have you seen this one :unknown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS_GDpZM3ak
it has been pushed to the wayside as user neglect by Remington :thumbsdown:

No I generally don't bother with this sort of youtube stuff so I watched about the first 10 minutes and it was clear what the real issue is.
If you have an older Winchester 70, lee Enfield, BRNO 1 or 2 or a Military Mauser all without modifications observe how the safety works.
You will see that some effort is required to apply the safety and if you look carefully you will see that applying the safety retracts the striker assembly somewhat.
So pulling the trigger while the safety is applied means there can be no loss of sear engagement when the trigger is again released and the safety can be released with no fear of accidental discharge.
This is an example of good and almost foolproof design although that does not preclude faults being introduced by negligence or inexpert modification.
Now contrast this with the trigger block safety found on many modern rifles.
This kind of safety works by preventing any movement of the trigger. Even the slightest movement of the trigger will reduce sear engagement and in the right circumstances simply releasing the safety can produce an unwanted discharge due to the now dangerously reduced sear engagement.
In the video what was being demonstrated was that there was enough sear engagement to restrain the striker assembly but not enough to prevent even the slightest disturbance causing an unwanted discharge.
This situation can arise for a number of reasons.
Inexpert setting of the interrelated trigger adjustments being one, but wear and unfortunate buildup of tolerances being others.
The original Mike Walker designed twin sear trigger had less of a problem in this area but was not immune.
Now at this point I have to say that I don't have a particularly high regard for the Rem700 even though I own two older models. Briefly it is a combination of absolute cheapness of manufacture combined with a fairly impressive exterior intended to sell in the high medium price range.
Not having watched the video all the way through I don't know how it all relates to the trigger recall a few years ago.
Little wonder that Remington filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy a few months ago.
As for the poor individuals involved you would now need the wisdom of Solomon to fairly apportion blame.
How much is the fault of the big money hungry corporation and how much is the fault of the operator failing to observe the most common safety procedures.
One further observation.
Again not having watched the video all the way through, is there any hint that the programme is a 'trojan horse' for more US gun control.
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 29 Jun 2018, 10:09 am

Straightshooter, I suggest you watch the video all the way through and pay attention to the number of documents revealed under freedom of information, the brief but revealing interview with Mike Walker, and the many instances of slip and slide that Remington engaged in, and continue to do. The documentation is there, as is the acknowledgment by the designer of a fundamental fault.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Jun 2018, 2:38 pm

No1_49er wrote:Straightshooter, I suggest you watch the video all the way through and pay attention to the number of documents revealed under freedom of information, the brief but revealing interview with Mike Walker, and the many instances of slip and slide that Remington engaged in, and continue to do. The documentation is there, as is the acknowledgment by the designer of a fundamental fault.

+1
you really should watch it all Straightshooter :thumbsup:
your interpretation does not agree with what Mike Walker has to say :wtf:
it would be ignorant to not have all the facts about the trojan horse :lol:
what have you got to loose :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by the big man » 12 Sep 2018, 8:39 pm

Anyone else having probs getting any info about there la102 223 back from lithgow?

The only time i get an email is when i call and harass them and then all i get told is the same lip service that there sorry and want to provide a product of great quality back to me and they have had mine for 2.5 months now :x :x :x :x :x
dont let the apprentice touch anything but the broom!!!!
the big man
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by dazz1975 » 01 Oct 2018, 7:17 pm

Just read a comment on the lithgow arms facebook site and someone who has received his 223 back said that the pattern on the barrel is hardly noticeable. If that is the case I will be disappointed.
dazz1975
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by the big man » 17 Oct 2018, 8:22 pm

yep can confirm that picked mine up today the barrel looks totally different and also no second box mag when i opened the box will have to chase them up on it tmoz :( just about what ive come to expect from la
dont let the apprentice touch anything but the broom
dont let the apprentice touch anything but the broom!!!!
the big man
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Crankycant » 24 Oct 2018, 10:10 pm

I'm not pissing on lithgow I believe there doing the right thing here. I fully support Aussie manufacturing especially firearms. After hearing about barrels cracking I recall my brother and I having a conversation that there was quite and issue with barrels splitting a couple of years ago with there service rifles :allegedly: . I know we are talking different temperatures more wear and tear on military equipment but lithgow do state that the same steel composition,manufacturing processes and quality standards are used when manufacturing civilian and military components. In my experience with American rifles I may had to fix up some fussy little things to make them operate in an optimal way, but have never personally experienced a catastrophic failure. Like I said Australian manufacturers are great. But put simply I don't have the money to spend on a rifle that I cannot use.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Oct 2018, 10:39 pm

Yeah Cranhycant I think we all are in that boat as far as money goes with buying something and not being able to us it
But after thinking about it a little I think it would have been the last thing on Lithgow's mind to put out a bad batch of rifles
If you go through some forums in Australia and America you will see others complaining about many brands of rifle
Nutfancy is one site where they trial rifles and comment on the faults and nearly all have some sort of mostly small defect
I stick to sako because I've had a good run with them but I've owned other brands just as good
This last sako I have bought has a stock on it so soft you can twist it by hand by about 4-5mm put it on a bipod and the stock touches the barrel
I had to take 3mm out of the stock under the barrel and stiffen it ''piece of junk'' but the rest is very good and it shoots well
Member-Deleted

Post by Crankycant » 25 Oct 2018, 9:14 am

Totally agree bushy I don't believe any Aussie manufacturers would want to put out a defective products let alone a rifle.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Archie » 25 Oct 2018, 9:22 am

I haven't really been following this - I don't own a Lithgow - although have considered buying them in the past, I didn't like them because the sporters where a bit heavy so I ended up going with a Sako for my last one. But I had been wondering about a LA105 in 6.5 Creedmore for Christmas. So on balance, how do people feel about them after all this?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 25 Oct 2018, 10:14 am

Archie wrote:I haven't really been following this - I don't own a Lithgow - although have considered buying them in the past, I didn't like them because the sporters where a bit heavy so I ended up going with a Sako for my last one. But I had been wondering about a LA105 in 6.5 Creedmore for Christmas. So on balance, how do people feel about them after all this?

Mate I actually had LA102 in 6.5 Creedmoor on order however due to the uncertainty of when they would actually arrive I cancelled and purchased a Sako instead.
Mate I would still buy a Lithgow without any hesitation whatsoever but that’s just me.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Oct 2018, 5:36 pm

I had a feel ib a 102 in 308.... I prefer tactical type guns and not into hunting, but the lithgow felt so balanced and just right, comfortable, thought of the 105 but was advised I'll be waiting till next year... that was before the recall.

No doubt when it comes out it will be a awesome rifle and very accurate. But not sure if it was be here by Christmas
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by axio » 24 Nov 2018, 1:16 pm

Anyone heard if LA102 308s will be added to the recall? I'm keen to pickup one for hunting but holding off for the moment since 243s were added without much notice
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics