Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Nov 2018, 7:57 pm

I bought a $190 K&M primer seater with a dial indicator, I find I do a pretty good job with my old RCBS bench mounted primer seater. RCBS impressed me when they sent me new primer holders for free. I do most of my priming with the RCBS and only occasionally use the K&M.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by PoorShot300 » 18 Nov 2018, 10:32 pm

Thanks for your input SCJ429, that sounds like great service from RCBS...

COOPER...sorry, somehow I missed the pic you included, must have been around when my comp. was freezing up...
Thanks for painting the picture of how that works, much clearer in my mind now...added to blades info,.
As much as I hate the big smoke, sometimes the larger shops have the advantage of being able to see hands on just what's involved.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by eddahenry » 20 Nov 2018, 10:21 am

yep Hand prime for me I use the Lee ERGO prime and can easily do 500 cases at a time
the Auto hand prime that comes with the kits is a lot less comfortable (a mate has one) as you are kinda stuck using your thumb
But i say get the Press with the hand prime because it comes with a full set of hand prime shell holders , so you can upgrade to a ergo prime later on i think it was the Breech Lock Challenger Kit that comes with the auto hand prime
THe first upgrades you will be chasing is
Digital scale and the Ergo prime :)
this is my Ergo prime
ergo11.jpg
ergo11.jpg (898.52 KiB) Viewed 5177 times
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by PoorShot300 » 20 Nov 2018, 1:20 pm

Thanks eddahenry, I have been leaning in that direction for the shell holders as well, but am curious to read about the new handloader which apparently is capable of being operated with just one finger... there is a 60th Anniversary kit out now, but not much by way of availability in Aus as yet.

I already own a cpl of digital scales i use to weigh jewellery etc so that's not an issue..

Cheers
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ob1 » 21 Nov 2018, 10:58 am

Do some Youtube research to help you make a decision about what equipment you want.

Here is one Youtube video about the reloading process on a single stage press.

https://youtu.be/v2ldwFVtm08

If you are going to load hundreds of rounds at a time you may want a progressive press. Youtube, again.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by PoorShot300 » 21 Nov 2018, 11:08 am

Thanks ob1, I have limited download due to wireless, but have a cpl of ytube vids already...I like the look of progressive, but don't imagine I'd make full use of it and the additional cost. It looks like it will be single stage for my needs.

Cheers
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ozidingo » 21 Nov 2018, 7:16 pm

I use Lee stuff & prime on the press without dramas. It takes a while to get the hang of the primer feed, but once you do it works fine. (Classic turret press) IMHO Lee is good gear for the price, but like any hobby you’re always going to upgrade bit by bit. I started with a single stage kit.. I’ve now changed most of it & have a lot of entry level stuff I won’t use again.. (chamfer/deburr tool etc.) I’ll use the single stage for sizing/depriming & then again for case trimming when necessary (way better with a cordless drill than by hand!) You can always spend a fortune for the optimum kit, but mine was relatively cheap and it works for me..
ozidingo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by PoorShot300 » 22 Nov 2018, 3:57 pm

Thanks ozidingo for your perspective, my issue is I have limited room, and as this is a hobby for me, also a limit to my funds for efficiencies sake. It looks like I will go with the hand primer Challenger breech lock kit atm, unless a cheaper used alternative becomes available in the next few weeks...

Cheers
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 25 Nov 2018, 4:14 pm

I was taught to only use a h and primer and his reasoning was to better feel it happening right rather than the big clunky press action So the hand primer is all I have ever known
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by axio » 25 Nov 2018, 6:04 pm

Most of my Lee accessories ended up in the bin. Total cheap garbage

The breach lock press works well but the handle rusted :/ The dies are good however
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by PoorShot300 » 25 Nov 2018, 6:13 pm

Thanks Blr243, another vote for hand priming. It's looking more like the way I will begin also as the press prime kit doesn't have the shell holders and replaced them with a reloading manual, which I already have in the Hornady manual (#8) and current online ADI reloaders guide.

On primers, I read much of the CCI #400 for .223, so who can tell me the best place for 'components' like primers, projies, powder and cases, or alternate primers? I'm in Victoria if that helps narrow the field?

I have done a bit of a search, but many places don't list prices or postage costs. Who looks after YOU best? Do they combine purchases & offer postage savings etc?

Looking @ OSA brass, 2206H powder, CCI primers and likely Speer projies (55gn) unless otherwise advised. This will just be barrel burn in & press operation familiarisation ammo to begin with, looking at 500 rnds worth of each.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 25 Nov 2018, 6:54 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:Thanks Blr243, another vote for hand priming. It's looking more like the way I will begin also as the press prime kit doesn't have the shell holders and replaced them with a reloading manual, which I already have in the Hornady manual (#8) and current online ADI reloaders guide.

On primers, I read much of the CCI #400 for .223, so who can tell me the best place for 'components' like primers, projies, powder and cases, or alternate primers? I'm in Victoria if that helps narrow the field?

I have done a bit of a search, but many places don't list prices or postage costs. Who looks after YOU best? Do they combine purchases & offer postage savings etc?

Looking @ OSA brass, 2206H powder, CCI primers and likely Speer projies (55gn) unless otherwise advised. This will just be barrel burn in & press operation familiarisation ammo to begin with, looking at 500 rnds worth of each.

When you say Victoria. I assume you mean Melbourne? powder is pretty much the same everywhere price wise. I run Sellior & Bellot primers. Mainly because I can get them for 5 cents each. But they preform perfectly fine. OSA brass is good. My first choice for projectiles would be Sierra Super Roos then Hornady Z-max. Not that there is another wrong with Speer.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Nov 2018, 6:58 pm

Mate, unless you are able to travel, your Local Gun Shop is going to be your source for powder & primers. Getting anyone to ship powder or primers to you is going to be horrendously expensive, whereas your LGS will already have the freight arrangements in place for dangerous goods.
[Even if you do travel, make sure you understand the law about transporting powder and primers yourself, and what storage you might need to do such.]

The others (brass, projectiles etc) can likely be sourced from whomever is offering a good deal online, or you might find your LGS can do a half-decent price as well.
I buy most of my gear through my LGS (shop local if possible), but some items I source elsewhere if they dont stock it.

I use (mostly) OSA brass, Benchmark 2, and CCI 400 primers, with a 55gn Vmax/Zmax pill. Works a treat for me.

From 2 of my distance-shooting mates:
"In every .223 I have owned I have always had great success with 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips over 24.5 grains of Benchmark 2.
Velocity is generally around 3100fps and accuracy sub MOA. Out of a little 18" carbine they still clocked 3000 fps.
I found AR2208 to be a little too slow with 55 grainers and AR2206H is pretty close to AR2208 so it may also be a bit too slow.
The other benefit of BM2 is it meters really well. So well that you can throw it straight out of a powder measure."
And:
"22.5gr AR2219 behind a 55gr Nosler BT has been accurate out of all mine, not sure on velocity, but VERY destructive...AR2219 is in between BM1 & BM2 for burn rate and meters well too."

For our .223 loads here(hunting - no benchrest work), I have stuck with the BM2 load of 24.5, and have never found any need to alter it.

I really like the OSA brass; the 1000 new cases I bought a few years back have proven to be very consistent.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by PoorShot300 » 25 Nov 2018, 8:47 pm

Cooper... nah not Melbourne mate, out bush, local town about 10-13,000 pop., one small LGS who has 'fixed' ideas (he'd be in mid 60's) and inflexible in many ways (see below). Thanks for the projie recommendations, and yeah, they too were on the list.

Confused the Speer purchase on that being what OSA/Aussie Outback rounds are loaded with, which get great reports from a range of rifle makes. I see now on second glance they are Sierra, but no 55gn listing for Sierra on the ADI data sheet. :crazy: (my bad). Will look again at pricing/availability of both once more. :thumbsup:

Rod_outbak...Seems I'm stuck with the LGS for primer/powder combo's then, unless I want a 2hr return trip to a larger centre...
I like to keep it local as much as I can, but my LGS sure makes it difficult when he doesn't want to sell me what I want. Case in point, I am buying a CZ and he keeps pushing the Howa down my throat, likely as he has it on the shelf...and has to order the CZ in.

I have read reports where the BR#4 is also a contender for primers (among benchrest guys) and chose #400 for my list based on popularity, though as stated, my selections are not set in stone.

Reading your mates experiences I was somewhat confused by "..AR2206H is pretty close to AR2208 so it may also be a bit too slow." in comparison to 3000fps when the ADI chart lists 2206H/2208 as being from 1:12 a 24" bbl, mine will be a 1:9 24"....

55 GR. Speer Soft Point, Spitzer, Spire Point AR2206H .224" 2.200" 25.0 grain 3176 fps 39700 cup 26.0 grain 3315 fps 49000 cup

55 GR. Speer Soft Point, Spitzer, Spire Point AR2208 .224" 2.200" 25.5 grain 3174 fps 41300 cup 27.5 grain (C) 3384 fps 49700 cup

but then again, no listing for the Nosler projie & running a lighter load in a shorter bbl of manufacturer unknown...perhaps therein lays the difference? Also, I don't have access to a chrony, so it will just be a matter of which recipe groups best, regardless of speed.

It's a given every rifle will be different in what recipe/components each likes 'best', but due to $$ limitations, I figured i had a reasonable medium all round entry level combo to start out with to start my testing, I stand to be corrected.

Over time as funds allow, I can obviously change things up one at a time to see any variances, beginning with experimenting with the range of projies, then powders as most primers appear to be within set parameters to a degree with the least variety.

Glad to hear I at least got the brass well chosen... :allegedly: :P :lol:

Thanks for the input folks.

Cheers
Last edited by PoorShot300 on 25 Nov 2018, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Nov 2018, 9:10 pm

I didnt pay too much attention to what they said about the powders; just went with their recipe for BM2, and tested that in my rifle as a starting load(as it was within .5gns of the starting load anyway).
So far, I havent seen any need to tweak the load.
These 2 shooting mates do a lot of benchrest and distance shooting, as well as a fair amount of hunting when they get the chance.
But that doesnt mean they have it right; you should start with the ADI-reccomended safe starting load, and work up from there.
What works in your rifle will likely vary anyway.
Is your new CZ a 24" or a 22" barrel? Hard to work out from what you've written above. If it's a 22" barrel, the ADI table is based on a 24" barrel, so you'd likely come up ~ 30-40fps below whats listed. But there are other factors that might vary this, so a chrony is about the only way to be certain about muzzle velocity. However, MV isnt really what you need; how well they group is more relevant.

I went with BM2 as my powder for the .223, but I have used AR2206H in .223, but it was a while back, and so I dont recall how well it worked.
I use AR2208 in most of my other rifles (.243, 7mm-08, .308, .30-30, .303Brit).

Yes; I am very lucky to have a great LGS who actually try to meet their customers needs. It makes it easier to shop locally.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by PoorShot300 » 25 Nov 2018, 9:28 pm

Being a virgin reloader, of course my main concern will be safety first, and starting on the lower end of things and work up.

My rifle will be a 24" w/1:9 twist, so may even begin .5-.75gn lower than suggested minimum. Sorry, i did have ADI bbl as 22", but went back and corrected it.

My focus will be on groups as I don't have a chrony anyway, so won't get lost down THAT rabbit hole at least lol.

AR2208 does get quite a lot of mentions also, so I guess it will come down to availability at the LGS, and any price variations at a given point in time. Having read a few threads now on .223 loads, I basically went with the most mentioned (perhaps other than the projies which I confused myself with after much data to & fro) that appears to be regularly available, so all in all, I wasn't too far off the mark in most cases.

Appreciate your input & sharing.

Cheers
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Nov 2018, 9:51 pm

So as a VERY rough guide, you should expect fairly close to the same muzzle velocities as printed in the ADI loading manual.

My suggestion would be to begin at the starting load listed by ADI for that projectile.
I wouldnt suggest going below that unless you have rock-solid advice you can trust to the contrary.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but your faster twist barrel isnt likely to reduce your muzzle velocity to an appreciable amount. A shorter barrel will, but a tighter twist doesnt look to make a huge amount of difference (very slight reduction, if anything).

The starting load listed by ADI is usually pretty mild, and if you go too far below it, you might cause additional pressure problems.

Chronographs are nice, but clustering all those little holes in a tiny area is even more exciting...

I've read a lot of places that some rifles dont like a particular powder and/or projectile.
So dont stock up big on a particular powder until you find it's working for your rifle...

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by PoorShot300 » 25 Nov 2018, 10:05 pm

Thanks for that added info., I wasn't sure about the variance due to twist, but had read threads about it, and that the minimum recommended are 'conservative' in the same breath. Understood about the pressure issues I may induce...

By all accounts the factory ASO/Aussie Outback ammo goes well in the CZ's, so I was just basing as much of my recipe as close to that as a start point, and vary from there.

Rethinking now, I may just get enough for 50-100 rnds for the burn-in and mix it up from there, taking in all supplied info. to date as a guide to 'alternatives' to what I begin with.

I will also cross reference my Hornady guide as well and hope to find some middle ground, as the gun will likely shoot better than me, regardless of the recipe lol.

Most of my shooting will be against myself, and not a trophy, so most game will be safe in the early days at any rate.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 12:57 am

My 223 is a 1:9 and 24 inch varmint barrel and it loves AR2206H. this powder is very versatile and was the first words from my local shop when I mentioned my needs and rifle characteristics.
The 1:9 will stabilise heavier projectiles - mine will stabilise 77gns and probably heavier but I’ve personally not gone heavier..yet . A 1:7 will stabilise 90’s or so I’m told but then the lighter, more common projectiles start to be compromised.
When I do go heavier, I’ll look to a slightly slower powder and might then consider 2208.
Hope this helps.

24gn of this powder pushing 55gn vmax places 5 holes all touching at over 100m...a 13-15mm group.
25gns blew that at inch higher and out to an 26mm group.
26gns replicates that of 24gns but the group was slightly taller again.

But, 26gns works with the 60gn max projectiles like a laser.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by PoorShot300 » 26 Nov 2018, 7:21 am

Thanks Tassie for that input, much the same I'd heard, though my LGS fella tells me the 1:9 is only good up to and including 69gn, but hey, it's physics and each gun is different.

I read of an owner who had 1:9 stamped on his barrel shooting 80gn but when he did a rod measure himself, it came out at 1:8.5.
Nice to hear those groups, and it sounds like you've fine tuned your own recipe now.

I do want to move up in weight eventually to stretch the legs so to speak, but as noted this is just the start point for breaking in the rifle, and my reloading skills. May as well try and keep any fubars on my behalf cost to a minimum eh? I could start projie weight lower as well, but figured around 55gn as the all round median weight for plinking and hunting for this twist.

At some point I will be re-barrelling for a faster rate and focus on the heavies and distance primarily, and when funds allow.

Cheers
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 26 Nov 2018, 1:29 pm

Poorshot300,

Unless you've shot the original barrel out, you might find it cheaper to buy a larger-calibre rifle, if you are chasing heavier projectiles than 69gns.

[Some literature suggests you might find you can stablise up to 75gn pills in a 1:9" twist, but it really depends on the projectile composition/length, as well as your particular rifles preferences].

If you do find you want heavier projectiles than 69gns or so, you might get better value to plan for a second rifle in something like 6mm (.243) or 6.5mm, at some point in the future?
6mm with a tighter twist will allow for projectiles from 55gn, up to ~105gn or therabouts.
Lets face it; you can never have too many guns...
Just a thought.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by PoorShot300 » 26 Nov 2018, 2:36 pm

Loved the sales pitch lol, but $$$ & space prohibit how many I can have. With all my combined hobby's I'm runnin outta room here mate. Reality is, I have the small to extreme range covered, but nothing in this calibre range that is affordable, for me, to feed.

rofl.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2018, 2:43 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:Thanks Blr243, another vote for hand priming. It's looking more like the way I will begin also as the press prime kit doesn't have the shell holders and replaced them with a reloading manual, which I already have in the Hornady manual (#8) and current online ADI reloaders guide.

Poweder you can only buy over the counter so ask your local dealer. Primers and ammo you can buy online, but dangerous goods permits are expensive so it's certainly cheaper to buy over the counter as well, unless you are buying a lot. Rebelgunworks charge $60 for DG which is remarkably cheap. My dealer closed shop two months ago and I'm hunting for two cases of CCI Std Vel currently as my stock is dwindling rapidly. I've paid $550 for the last three, but it now seems the price is over $600 around here. I may end up ordering two cases from Brisbane for $1110 delivered, instead of having to drive up to Melbourne to get it at a higher price. Adding several thousand primers to the order further negates the shipping fees. But I'll still have to go somewhere to get my powders. I may have to drive a friend's wife up to a specialist in Melbourne as he finds the city a challenge, which is an opportunity to stock up.

Bullets and brass you can order from lots of places. I favour Rebels and Projectile Warehouse myself. Your dealer can order them for you as well, but has to play the distributor's games, meaning you'll likely get them online cheaper and quicker than he can supply them. You can also buy once-fired brass from somewhere like Australian Once-Fired Brass, but I would recommend starting with new brass. Prepping brass from a different firearm is a little more involved than new stuff.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 3:13 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:Loved the sales pitch lol, but $$$ & space prohibit how many I can have. With all my combined hobby's I'm runnin outta room here mate. Reality is, I have the small to extreme range covered, but nothing in this calibre range that is affordable, for me, to feed.

rofl.

Just my opinion obviously.
There is not much in AU that you cannot take with some good 223 loads with good shot placement and given the laser type accuracy from most 223’s out to say 400 - shot placement becomes reliant on confidence. That being said - common sense dictates your not going to try and shoot a larger animal at longer distance - be ethical when hunting.
The other bonus with the 223 is that whilst it’s still definitely a centr fire - it does not scare the crap out of every living organism within 1klm...
I now have 3 centrefire rifles and I’m learning about all of them - but there is so darn much to learn - it’s going to take time. If I had have stuck with the 223 alone for a while at least, I would have perfected various aspects by now and well on my way to a deeper understanding of the Calibre.
If target shooting is your thing, some shooters are really pushing the limits of the 223 and knocking circles over 1000 yards...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by PoorShot300 » 26 Nov 2018, 3:34 pm

I've watched the video's of a guy running 77 +80gn in a 527 Varmint out to a 1000yd. I have something big to get me there now, but nothing under a .30 cal.

First read of 1000yd+ on a US long range forum a couple of years ago, which set the bug. Don't know if I'll ever go that far, but 5-600 mtr sure. Reloading is also an area i've toyed with in my mind, but starting on my larger calibre's is too expensive atm, hence the lower mid range choice.

Focus now just getting the kit built up, roll a few recipes, and go shoot in the new bbl and have some fun.

Cheers
Last edited by PoorShot300 on 26 Nov 2018, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2018, 3:34 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
PoorShot300 wrote:Loved the sales pitch lol, but $$$ & space prohibit how many I can have. With all my combined hobby's I'm runnin outta room here mate. Reality is, I have the small to extreme range covered, but nothing in this calibre range that is affordable, for me, to feed.

rofl.

There is not much in AU that you cannot take with some good 223 loads with good shot placement and given the laser type accuracy from most 223’s out to say 400 - shot placement becomes reliant on confidence. That being said - common sense dictates your not going to try and shoot a larger animal at longer distance - be ethical when hunting.
The other bonus with the 223 is that whilst it’s still definitely a centr fire - it does not scare the crap out of every living organism within 1klm...
I now have 3 centrefire rifles and I’m learning about all of them - but there is so darn much to learn - it’s going to take time. If I had have stuck with the 223 alone for a while at least, I would have perfected various aspects by now and well on my way to a deeper understanding of the Calibre.
If target shooting is your thing, some shooters are really pushing the limits of the 223 and knocking circles over 1000 yards...

.223 is not legal for deer in Victoria though, even point-blank.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 26 Nov 2018, 3:38 pm

Yeah, nah...have .30 cals for that, this was for vermin/target shooting.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Nov 2018, 6:02 pm

Have you considered a Lee loader? Super cheap way to dip your toes into reloading.

https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-308-win.html
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 6:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

rofl.

.223 is not legal for deer in Victoria though, even point-blank.

Correct if wrong but 243 def isn’t either and for some species 6.5 is illegal....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by PoorShot300 » 26 Nov 2018, 8:36 pm

Iirc, in Tassie it's .270 as a minimum?
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition