Roo ammo

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Roo ammo

Post by Archie » 28 Nov 2018, 11:26 am

So here's where I might go wrong as well but for what its worth I'll give you my understanding. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, this is just what I have always been told re hunting bullets

- A frangible hunting bullet is not made from a specific material (i.e. a powder etc). Rather it is designed to do a specific thing. That thing, is to basically shatter into razor sharp shards on impact. So you could divide hunting bullets (simplisitically) into solids (punch through an elephants skull and stay in one piece), expanding (softs, controlled expansion in various forms - think something that punches into a deers or pigs engine room, maybe after going in through the leg, expands to cause maximum damage, but aims to stay as much as possible in a single piece (max weight retention)), and lastly frangible.

The idea with the frangible one is to hit and shatter near the surface. Shreds rabbits, foxes etc. Hit a big heavy boned animal with one and depending on where it hits you cause a really nasty fleshwound and probably don't get to the vitals. So I use frangible bullets in my 223, and expanding ones in my 308.

This is a good article on the effective difference

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/fran ... -big-game/
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 28 Nov 2018, 11:50 am

Archie wrote:
The idea with the frangible one is to hit and shatter near the surface. Shreds rabbits, foxes etc. Hit a big heavy boned animal with one and depending on where it hits you cause a really nasty fleshwound and probably don't get to the vitals. So I use frangible bullets in my 223, and expanding ones in my 308.

So what projectiles are you using in the 223 and does the manufacturer label them as frangible?
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Archie » 28 Nov 2018, 12:19 pm

Peter988 wrote:
Archie wrote:

So what projectiles are you using in the 223 and does the manufacturer label them as frangible?

No. I use Sierra 55g blitzkings and sierra describes them as having "explosive expansion" - those are just factory loads from OSA - in the past I used Hornady which are described as having "rapid fragmentation on contact".

Anyway, having done more reading on it I now realize I've got the wrong end of the stick here and Rod, Gaz etc are correct- there are bullets that are designed to be frangible (which is what I was describing), and there is a specific form of ammo called frangible ammunition designed to minimize ricochets and pass through, and its not the same thing.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 28 Nov 2018, 2:37 pm

Archie wrote:
Anyway, having done more reading on it I now realize I've got the wrong end of the stick here and Rod, Gaz etc are correct- there are bullets that are designed to be frangible (which is what I was describing), and there is a specific form of ammo called frangible ammunition designed to minimize ricochets and pass through, and its not the same thing.

Which takes me back to my quandary! To which of those two examples of “frangible” do the regulations refer? If it is the former then that rules out heaps of projectiles for culling jobs.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 28 Nov 2018, 2:46 pm

Seriously??

Here's a thought....

Why not use 'Roo-Load' projectiles?

Pretty darned sure they will be just fine to use....

You are over-thinking this way too much...
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 28 Nov 2018, 4:35 pm

Because I getter better accuracy with the ballistic tips. But some people tell me they are frangible. Just trying to put that to bed one way or another.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control