Some say history repeats itself

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Some say history repeats itself

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Nov 2018, 5:05 am

A good american friend posted it, I thought it was interesting, maybe some will see the similarities. Maybe what it says will not happen. But the logical (not emotional) part of your brain may just wonder.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... -an-empire
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Some say history repeats itself

Post by straightshooter » 27 Nov 2018, 6:47 am

When you see a 'figurehead' exhibiting arrogance and hubris then it is because those that enable that 'figurehead' are filled with the same characteristics.
Poor old 'Kaiser Bill' had an unamiable personality due to a severe inferiority complex brought about by his withered arm. To believe that he had absolute control over the events that transpired is extremely naive.
Now in reality the article is pointed at Mr. Trump and is meant to wind up both his detractors and supporters.
Let the logical part of your brain contemplate what has actually changed under the Trump regime.
Other than the WWE style political theatre, nothing.
USA is behaving both internally and externally in the same fashion as it has for the last 50 years.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Nov 2018, 6:58 am

I like the comparison to WWE theatrics. Probably why some Americans get so involved in it. I would like to see a match between Abbott and K Rudd ! :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Nov 2018, 9:54 am

Mate I have read articles where the administration guys are saying that while trump is doing his crazy antics the are plenty of people in his administration that are working very hard to keep relationships normal and "undo" his "fkups". But a large part of the country believes that he is their savior and the best thing. Unfortunately when America is the so called leader of the free world, actions taken by their president do effect the world not just the present but the future.

And yes things are changing, case in point GM announced 14,000 redundancies this week, and many other manufacturers have recently announced major job shredding. Yes in GM case they mothballing some factories due to older vehicles they will not produce, but they also clearly make reference to the traif war (imposed by china and US on each others exports) as a contributory factor.

If America chooses to move away from its leadership role in world politics to concentrate (internally) on being great again, who will take its place?..... looks like china is keen, even if it might not be ready yet.

Not that it really matters to me...in a way
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 28 Nov 2018, 7:15 am

bigrich wrote:I like the comparison to WWE theatrics. Probably why some Americans get so involved in it. I would like to see a match between Abbott and K Rudd ! :lol:

My first inclination is to say my money would be on Abbot who keeps fit and has boxing training.
But then again Rudd does have the capacity to bore somebody to death with virtue signalling speeches.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 28 Nov 2018, 7:37 am

I want a bout between Julia Gillard and KRudd; I reckon Jules will slap Mr Sheen around that ring like there's no tomorrow!

THEN, we can have the Abbot/Turnbull grudge match, as there is obviously a LOT of unresolved emotions between that pair..
And the winner gets to slap a confused ScoMo around for a while!

Then, we can hold the veteran matches, where Howard and Costello get to slap it out, and then if they can both stand upright, get Hawkie and Keating to bash wheelchairs for a while.

Sadly, we have passed up the chance to get Mal Fraser and Gough to do a few rounds...

The really annoying part is; I seriously doubt ANY of them would learn anything about their own shortcomings...
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Nov 2018, 8:47 am

Rod_outbak wrote:I want a bout between Julia Gillard and KRudd; I reckon Jules will slap Mr Sheen around that ring like there's no tomorrow!

THEN, we can have the Abbot/Turnbull grudge match, as there is obviously a LOT of unresolved emotions between that pair..
And the winner gets to slap a confused ScoMo around for a while!

Then, we can hold the veteran matches, where Howard and Costello get to slap it out, and then if they can both stand upright, get Hawkie and Keating to bash wheelchairs for a while.

Sadly, we have passed up the chance to get Mal Fraser and Gough to do a few rounds...

The really annoying part is; I seriously doubt ANY of them would learn anything about their own shortcomings...

Yeah, I reckon the red haired witch would have it all over Mr Sheen, Howard and Costello, sounds like a old comedy team :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 28 Nov 2018, 9:10 am

Howard v rudd in a cage match with bishop v gillard in a jelly ring for the undercard...I'd pay to see that!! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Nov 2018, 10:54 am

Pollies fighting it out, I like it.

My only proviso would be that they had to use nice sharp hatchets.

They love doing a hatchet job, let the games begin
8-)
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 28 Nov 2018, 12:09 pm

Yeah, I reckon Bishop'd take no prisoners in a scrap.

Mr Sheen would scream like a girl while cowering in the corner...
I'd pay to see that...

I wonder who we could get to smack Piney Whiney around as well....hmmm.

Hatchets sound a good idea!
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 28 Nov 2018, 12:45 pm

Ok hows about whiney piney (that cracks me up! :lol: :drinks: ) v Penny "even when I'm right im always" Wong . :unknown: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 28 Nov 2018, 12:58 pm

Yeah; That'd work... Should be some good laughs in there...
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Nov 2018, 2:24 pm

Lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SteamedHam » 28 Nov 2018, 3:43 pm

Julia Bishop would be terrifying in a no-holds-barred fight. Something about her is simply repulsive.
SteamedHam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Nov 2018, 4:38 pm

SteamedHam wrote:Julia Bishop would be terrifying in a no-holds-barred fight. Something about her is simply repulsive.

It's those snake eyes, so beady and so close together.

Bet she closes them while the boyfriend's "on the job" just so she doesn't have to see him enjoy himself.

Damn, went and creeped myself out
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 28 Nov 2018, 4:55 pm

get bob hawk in for beer skulling games :drinks: :lol: if any one looks like a heartless hit man/hatchet man, it would have to be paul keating :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Nov 2018, 4:58 pm

[quote="Daddybang" bishop v gillard in a jelly ring for the undercard...I'd pay to see that!! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :drinks:[/quote]

mate, just the thought of that is enough to give me nightmares :shock: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Nov 2018, 4:59 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
SteamedHam wrote:Julia Bishop would be terrifying in a no-holds-barred fight. Something about her is simply repulsive.

It's those snake eyes, so beady and so close together.

Bet she closes them while the boyfriend's "on the job" just so she doesn't have to see him enjoy himself.

Damn, went and creeped myself out

betcha she kills after mating gaz........ :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Nov 2018, 5:23 pm

Well the Matthew is no longer the liberal guy in vic, which was expected to happen... but it's it right?

Then the greens screaming murder cuz cory and others have forgotten manners and calling her a sweet sweet momma.

You think these are not politicians on very high salaries but school kids.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 29 Nov 2018, 6:27 am

Maybe I will try and keep my trump in one thread.

But this is the latest from my favorite dictator wannabe. Maybe my american Republican friends can tell me the benefits. But let's look around which countries have state run tv channels and what do they do.... north Korea, china, even Iraq and Iran come to my mind... and all are/were dictatorships. Some others come to my mind as will and all of them are extremely corrupt governments

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... on-network
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Nov 2018, 9:23 am

Like all cockroaches, he's afraid of the light.

I have a love hate thing with the Donald. He has some very good ideas, like putting China on notice for their behaviour and getting some realistic border control among others, but he's such a knob-jockey most of the time I just want to bitchslap him.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics