FAR NOT IMPRESSED

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

FAR NOT IMPRESSED

Post by Rider888 » 29 Nov 2018, 7:03 am

OMG so the FAR sent me all my paperwork to get my full licence from my PPL in Sept. I sent it all back in Oct via express post and the online tracking system at AusPost said it was received in Oct.
As of yesterday, my licence details had not been updated on the FAR Portal so I called them, after 90 minutes on hold, they said they couldn't help me as they don't have any records of my paperwork being received and that I need to submit the application online via Service NSW.
The firearms application through Service NSW is having issues and doesn't seem to log into the FAR Individual Applications.
Everyone is blaming the other while my PPL expires in 2 weeks.

Any ideas?

Im desperate as I am going away tomorrow. My plan is to post another copy of my application to them today but until the Service NSW application link is fixed, there is not much more I can do
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: FAR NOT IMPRESSED

Post by JSS » 29 Nov 2018, 7:45 am

I'm not sure if you can in NSW, but are you able go into your local copshop and hand the paperwork over in person? If so, get a receipt and explain your situation (even take in your old post tracking info as proof of the stuff-up) and see if they can assist in getting the paperwork through to FAR asap.
Sucks that they have shafted you, but moving forward that would be what i'd do, or post a copy and keep trying the website too. Hopefully one copy will make it to them.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 29 Nov 2018, 7:47 am

JSS wrote:I'm not sure if you can in NSW, but are you able go into your local copshop and hand the paperwork over in person? If so, get a receipt and explain your situation (even take in your old post tracking info as proof of the stuff-up) and see if they can assist in getting the paperwork through to FAR asap.
Sucks that they have shafted you, but moving forward that would be what i'd do, or post a copy and keep trying the website too. Hopefully one copy will make it to them.

Unfortunately I don't have the previous tracking number anymore as once it said "delivered" i trusted that it was so I disposed of it. I will call the local coppers and see if that can also assist

Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 29 Nov 2018, 8:29 am

sucks big time
when you send the next copy ring when you expect them to receive it and keep the tracking info for it
good luck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Nov 2018, 9:14 am

Foil hat territory I know, but this is sounding more and more like a deliberate tactic.

Even government departments aren't this dysfunctional by accident.

Thankfully I've got a couple of years left before my next renewal, I hope if it is just institutionalized stupidity they have their poop in a group by then.

Commiserations Rider, that's fvcking outrageous.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 29 Nov 2018, 11:30 am

Rider888 wrote:
JSS wrote:I'm not sure if you can in NSW, but are you able go into your local copshop and hand the paperwork over in person? If so, get a receipt and explain your situation (even take in your old post tracking info as proof of the stuff-up) and see if they can assist in getting the paperwork through to FAR asap.

Unfortunately I don't have the previous tracking number anymore as once it said "delivered" i trusted that it was so I disposed of it. I will call the local coppers and see if that can also assist

Cheers

For future reference, it's a good idea to track it on-line. Keep that in your records and even if you've disposed of the tracking label you'll still have record in you pc, or wherever you keep that on-line "stuff".
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 29 Nov 2018, 1:27 pm

All sorted now. Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 30 Nov 2018, 10:47 am

Rider888 wrote:All sorted now. Cheers

Sorted, how so ? what ended up happening
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 30 Nov 2018, 11:17 am

JWD40 wrote:
Rider888 wrote:All sorted now. Cheers

Sorted, how so ? what ended up happening

I’m curious as well
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 30 Nov 2018, 11:33 am

I send all correspondence to Far by registered letter and have a file for all tracking numbers :
same as pistol club attendances i keep a copy of all receipts and weather or not it was a comp or shoot in own time , if i submit a target or not and a copy of rifle shoots
Only cause i don,t trust the buggers :
Interesting thing with far they say received say on the 12th but Aust post say delivered on the 5th never had one match
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 30 Nov 2018, 11:35 am

pomemax wrote:I send all correspondence to Far by registered letter and have a file for all tracking numbers :
same as pistol club attendances i keep a copy of all receipts and weather or not it was a comp or shoot in own time , if i submit a target or not and a copy of rifle shoots
Interesting thing with far they say received say on the 12th but Aust post say delivered on the 5th never had one match

Looking more and more like deliberate policy, huh?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 30 Nov 2018, 11:56 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:
pomemax wrote:I send all correspondence to Far by registered letter and have a file for all tracking numbers :

Looking more and more like deliberate policy, huh?

Trust me.
My name is "Plod".
My evidence will trump yours, every time.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Nov 2018, 11:58 am

Yep Gaz the more pain the more numbing is required the more numbing the longer it stays as in the case of FAR
with their numbing by forgetfulness and who gives a fek and the more they give the less people expect
I'm going out to the bin to look for some tin foil I think I need some
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 30 Nov 2018, 12:00 pm

You're not wrong there Granddad.
As the old saying goes " Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get you"
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 30 Nov 2018, 9:36 pm

pomemax wrote: Interesting thing with far they say received say on the 12th but Aust post say delivered on the 5th never had one match

FAR don't generally tell you when it's been received, they tell you when they have processed it. It can sit with them for a week for more (and generally does) before they process it.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 01 Dec 2018, 4:23 pm

I’ve had an issue of Registered Post going missing on the way to the FAR, then being found and delivered months later.

Either gets lost at the post office, fallen somewhere inside the postal van, or just misplaced at the FAR.

Must keep a close eye on the tracking details!

Curious how you got it sorted out Rider888
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 18 Dec 2018, 5:07 am

I managed to get a "internal and direct" email address from a friend. Had to pull some strings to get it and received a call back the same day after I fired off the email and it was sorted within 24h.

bullzeye wrote:I’ve had an issue of Registered Post going missing on the way to the FAR, then being found and delivered months later.

Either gets lost at the post office, fallen somewhere inside the postal van, or just misplaced at the FAR.

Must keep a close eye on the tracking details!

Curious how you got it sorted out Rider888
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by byadbo boy » 12 Jan 2019, 8:05 am

I have always sent ALL correspondence to FAR via registered mail- and then tracked it up until when received by them at the locked bag address in Murwillumbah.
You know then they have it - it is well worth the extra $$$.
I would also advise spending the extra money when sending in a paper PTA and using an Australia Post money order for the permit.
For some reason they always seem to get processed quicker than by credit card or personal CHQ.
That's just my experience and it could just be a coincidence but it works every time.
Mind you, we really shouldn't have to do any of this- It is all about control and additional indirect taxation.
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jan 2019, 1:07 pm

What does FAR stand for ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland