Hunting and ear plugs

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting and ear plugs

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Nov 2018, 9:27 pm

Couple days ago, whilst walking 200m to my 30-06 target - I took out my ear plugs and put some iPhone earphones in and listened to a bit of a podcast - Steve Rinella by chance.

When I got back to the vehicle and reloaded up the 06, made some adjustments - I stupidly sent a shot downrange thinking I had plugs in.
Immediately - all I could hear was a high pitched - OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....that went for about 5 minutes. I’ll be honest, it farken hurt.
So the question - when hunting with an 06 or similar, how do you listen for animals without damaging your hearing when you find them? Walking with ear plugs is not really the answer, I like...no I need to hear to hunt...Do I need to harden up and acknowledge that come blauch time - Adrenalin will help nullify the boooom? And I should just prepare those around me to start yelling now?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Hunting and ear plugs

Post by Bent Arrow » 28 Nov 2018, 9:32 pm

Spend some money on electric plugs or muffs. You'll still hear, probably better than without them and be protected when the time comes to pull the trigger. .
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 28 Nov 2018, 9:49 pm

I tried hunting with noise cancelling muffs but the “oversensitive hear everything amplified situation” was too unnatural to the point where my sense of hearing during the stalk but prior to the shot was useless to me. And it’s no fun running through the bush and climbing thru fences with trad shaped muffs ....Now I use the plugs that come on a big u shaped piece of plastic that hugs the back of my neck. I hunt with them un fitted and if I have time I flick them on before the shot But because sometimes I don’t have time and I have to shoot unprotected I find myself having to deal with the noise about 4 times out of ten
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Nov 2018, 11:06 pm

what are you hunting that you're close enough to locate them by sound and get a quick shot off, but that hasn't already seen, smelled or heard you first and bolted? I'm genuinely curious, not trolling you. I've only located the general vicinity of wild dogs by their howl but needed to find them with my vision, and the distance involved in the shot always gave me time to slip on the muffs. Culling roos is the same. Pull up, muffs on and shoot. Is this deer or pigs in thick country you mean?

Regardless TT, look after your ears. My hearing is affected now from unprotected shooting as a kid and young man (and motorcycle helmet wind noise). I can not hear those higher frequencies now, like ringtones. Thankfully no tinnitus
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Nov 2018, 1:02 am

Hunting deer and roo predominantly and plantation forests - that are heavily undergrowthed and not clean of ground litter.
There are 2 aspects I guess - the practicality of listening, do I really need to hear my quarry to be ultimately successful and the ‘natural’ aspect meaning I like to be fully aware of my surroundings and enjoy that part of it. Being in a natural environment is healthy but take away a sense and that feeling is compromised kinda thing.

I still enjoy motorcycling now later 40’s but I’ve already noticed I hear less now...either that or ppl farken mumble more now lol

I was actually watching a hunting doco the other day where they were using 300 win mags...zero hearing protection what so ever...I was thinking, not really setting a great example... but maybe there is nothing available to resolve the issue to their satisfaction...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 29 Nov 2018, 7:18 am

See shooting that .223 has made ya soft when it comes to the real calibers!!! :sarcasm: :drinks: :lol: :friends: :drinks:
Maybe try wearing one plug in the ear closest to the shot . I know its not ideal but it does help. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 29 Nov 2018, 7:52 am

I just got a some cens earplugs (DX5) they have several settings and the 'hunting" and "game" settings amplify everything around you so it's like you have no earplugs and have super hearing (or you can adjust the volume to be like normal hearing), then they cut out the bang.
They weren't cheap but were the best solution to save my hearing from getting any worse, and i'm glad i got them now.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Nov 2018, 9:51 am

Daddybang wrote:See shooting that .223 has made ya soft when it comes to the real calibers!!! :sarcasm: :drinks: :lol: :friends: :drinks:
Maybe try wearing one plug in the ear closest to the shot . I know its not ideal but it does help. :thumbsup:

Haha.
The braked 260 is nearly as loud as the 06 and you wouldn’t catch me shooting too many of those soft 223’s without plugs either. I still remember my first shot of my 223 thinking it was just an upspec .22....”surprise mother $&@:$7&?”
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Nov 2018, 9:55 am

JSS wrote:I just got a some cens earplugs (DX5) they have several settings and the 'hunting" and "game" settings amplify everything around you so it's like you have no earplugs and have super hearing (or you can adjust the volume to be like normal hearing), then they cut out the bang.
They weren't cheap but were the best solution to save my hearing from getting any worse, and i'm glad i got them now.

They are very cool but as you say $1500 odd - but up there....do they also clean your firearms? Lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Nov 2018, 10:11 am

Howard Leight muffs are what I use, love them.
Contrary to Blr's experience, I find the amplified input has taught me how to move with a bit more Ninja in my step.

The last time I went without I blew 60% of the hearing in my left ear, gone forever. A serious pain in the arse when there is confused noise like a room full of people.

The HL's are around $80-$90 depending where you get them.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 29 Nov 2018, 10:28 am

TassieTiger wrote:
JSS wrote:I just got a some cens earplugs (DX5) they have several settings and the 'hunting" and "game" settings amplify everything around you so it's like you have no earplugs and have super hearing (or you can adjust the volume to be like normal hearing), then they cut out the bang.

They are very cool but as you say $1500 odd - but up there....do they also clean your firearms? Lol

Yes they do, then they give you a happy ending :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Nov 2018, 11:33 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Howard Leight muffs are what I use, love them.
Contrary to Blr's experience, I find the amplified input has taught me how to move with a bit more Ninja in my step.

The last time I went without I blew 60% of the hearing in my left ear, gone forever. A serious pain in the arse when there is confused noise like a room full of people.

Cheers Gaz. Had a look and a lot of different models - can you let me know what recommend?
Thanks.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by tom604 » 29 Nov 2018, 11:41 am

Earmold Australia they can be electric or plain, you can wear them all day and they are comfortable :thumbsup: the electric ones are expensive about a grand the plain ones about $85,and you can get the electric's put in at a later date, only have the plain,good bit of kit :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Nov 2018, 12:04 pm

TassieTiger wrote:

Cheers Gaz. Had a look and a lot of different models - can you let me know what recommend?
Thanks.

Hey Tas,
The only ones with which I have any experience are the Howard Leights, and I'm well pleased with them. I can't stand ear plugs and these are a fraction of the price.

If you buy them from ebay, be sure to check the seller is actually in Australia, as below.
:drinks:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Howard-Leig ... SwdvNbWHR7

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Nov 2018, 12:30 pm

Thanks mate. I’m on em. Cheers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigpete » 29 Nov 2018, 1:53 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:what are you hunting that you're close enough to locate them by sound and get a quick shot off, but that hasn't already seen, smelled or heard you first and bolted? s

Really ?
:D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 29 Nov 2018, 3:59 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

Thanks.

Hey Tas,
The only ones with which I have any experience are the Howard Leights, and I'm well pleased with them. I can't stand ear plugs and these are a fraction of the price.

If you buy them from ebay, be sure to check the seller is actually in Australia, as below.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Howard-Leig ... SwdvNbWHR7

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2

I've got a pair of impact pro's. Fantastic level of protection but bulky. Just keep in mind that if your wearing a hat or glasses you will lose a bit of protection with muffs.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 29 Nov 2018, 4:42 pm

Hi guys, when I was young un, i had used no bearing protection when firing shotguns, and shooting some old mil spec rifles, might even be Lee Enfield vintage.... tbh don't remember having any issues.

But this year I mistakenly didn't have my ear muffs and the ear was ringing after 1 shot. When shooting the 22lr I use either 22db foam inserts, or the Howard leigh. When shooting the rpr i am currently using the Howard leigh with the foam.... but it's not as good as my std ear muff (32 or 36db). If I was going to do it again I would have gotten the bigger Howard leigh as they are higher db rating. Find the amplification to be very good, on full vol i can definately hear stuff from further away that my ears alone won't have heard.

There are a few other brands of electronic ones that are good too
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 29 Nov 2018, 4:49 pm

bigpete wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote:what are you hunting that you're close enough to locate them by sound and get a quick shot off, but that hasn't already seen, smelled or heard you first and bolted? s

Really ?

Haha thats what I was thinking, a twig cracking at 50m on a still day can be enough to make the difference, I owe a couple deer this year to being able to hear them.
Bigjobss

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Nov 2018, 6:03 pm

so yeah I guess that's answered my question even though you were just taking the piss ... you're talking about deer in thick country. Both are thin on the ground in my neck of the woods. Everything I've ever shot i either saw and approached, saw (or heard) and called in to me, or shot in ambush. never once been alerted by a twig snapping though.. my hearing must really be stuffed
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 29 Nov 2018, 9:57 pm

To me sight is what usually alerts me to the presence of game but once I heard a pig snoring so I zoomed in on that. On two occasions I smelt them so I followed the smell I have also located them by listening to them squabbling amongst them selves. Once I heard the sound of grass being chewed. It sounded just like a cow munching on grass. So in thick stuff I got out the binos and sure enough there were pigs in front of me grazing Another time I heard a sow gently grunting so I slowly crept fwd and found a sow 99 per cent covered in grass feeding her piglets. Some suckers under the grass feeding others were milling about in the open She was just gently grunting as she released her milk to her young. I dragged her out of her bed by the back legs and she went mental. She was huge and so strong she dragged me nearly ten metres with just the power of her front legs. Her suckers ended up in my camp oven Years of bow hunting taught me to depend focus and use every one of my sense s
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Nov 2018, 10:25 pm

bigpete wrote:

Really ?

I dont see how that reply answers his question.. :unknown:
.he may not have the experience of others so an answer would be more useful than to reply with a question that may make someone feel stupid...!?? :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 29 Nov 2018, 10:46 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:so yeah I guess that's answered my question even though you were just taking the piss ... you're talking about deer in thick country. Both are thin on the ground in my neck of the woods. Everything I've ever shot i either saw and approached, saw (or heard) and called in to me, or shot in ambush. never once been alerted by a twig snapping though.. my hearing must really be stuffed

Ive never hunted deer so cant speak from experience on them, but ive been alerted to goats from their smell once, & on several occasions by their bleeting at a distance all well before seeing them... that can be exciting in hilly country with lots of valleys because you dont know if they are 1 km away or 5 metres right below you under the rock you're standing on... :? :

Also shot several from the sound of them in bushes from them reacting to seeing or hearing me first while walking through heavier scrub areas, & if they had not made noise when they moved i would never have known they were only a few metres from me... :thumbsup:

Also, i grew up with a shotgun in my arm chasing bunnies...& when bunnies are numerous enough to be out in numbers during daylight you will hear them take off from the shadows of mallee of from within ling grass & have the shotgun pointed in their direction long before seeing them.

I can only imagine as others have mentioned that hunting/stalking deer would be somewhat similar and probably more exciting to a point.

Cant wait to experience that myself...!!! :clap:

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Nov 2018, 11:05 pm

cheers Stix. Maybe a better question would have been where are you hunting that you're close enough to locate them by sound and get a quick shot off, but that hasn't already seen, smelled or heard you first and bolted.
this DPI photo is illustrative of the sort of country i shoot in. Not a lot of anything able to be taken at 50m meters
Attachments
Jundah.jpg
Jundah.jpg (113.09 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Bruiser64 » 29 Nov 2018, 11:39 pm

I use earmold ear plugs that I originally used motorcycling. My hearing is ok because l have been in the habit of wearing hearing protection for a long time. Once your hearing is damaged it’s not coming back. I have just purchased today from Blackwoods a pair of the Peltor Protac 3 electronic ear muffs for $89 on special. They get good reviews, so l thought I would give them a crack. They are a Class 5 earmuff with a noise reduction rating of 26 dB. I mainly go spotlighting on farms, so stalking in scrub isn’t generally part of the equation. If I was doing that I would spend the extra on the earmolds with the cens insert as my hearing is worth the money.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 29 Nov 2018, 11:46 pm

Yea you wont hear much first there...but ive stalked mobs of goats in that type of open country...wind in my favour but we got within 10 metres of them & they still didnt know we were there until 3 were on the ground. :thumbsup:

Country like this is where ive heard &/or smelt goats before seeing them & got shots off to sucessfully down them from 10 metres to 100m, & sometimes out to 300 all going well when their bleeting kids give them away.

I dont get to do it very often which is a shame cos its a hoot load of fun & also feels good to crank out a physical day of hiking with a pack full of meat for stews roasts & curries. :D
Attachments
2018-11-30 00.02.06.jpg
2018-11-30 00.02.06.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 6667 times
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Nov 2018, 3:49 am

I recall the ole grampa taking me ferreting - you’d listen like a thief for where the rabbits were thumping under ground just before the would blast into a net or into the open where if you were fast enough with the shotty-you scored.

The bigger roo where I hunt, you won’t see them first. You’ll hear them take 5-10 jumps away from you and they’ll stop...if you can then find them in thick trees, you can commence a stalk.

Deer are just cheeky buggers in heavy terrain and they know it - don’t think I’ve ever seen one before hearing one either a cheeky bleet to put you on your toes or antlers being rubbed against a tree the very first sign your within - game on zone lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 30 Nov 2018, 6:19 am

Gday bruiser64
Mate let us know how the peltors go ive been thinking about a set as well. Brought a pair of the peltor kids(just muffs not electronic) for the girl spawn and dont mind saying if shes not around t I'll throw them on (yeah a little small on my ears) and they're brilliant.
:thumbsup: :drinks:

1543522626139-1190962878.jpg
1543522626139-1190962878.jpg (757.79 KiB) Viewed 6659 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 30 Nov 2018, 8:58 am

Daddybang wrote:Gday bruiser64
Mate let us know how the peltors go ive been thinking about a set as well. Brought a pair of the peltor kids(just muffs not electronic) for the girl spawn and dont mind saying if shes not around t I'll throw them on (yeah a little small on my ears) and they're brilliant.
:thumbsup: :drinks:

1543522626139-1190962878.jpg

No problems. I probably won’t get out shooting for another week or so, but I am going to be using them in my workshop this weekend. So I will put up a post to review them.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 30 Nov 2018, 10:42 am

Member-Deleted wrote:so yeah I guess that's answered my question even though you were just taking the piss ... you're talking about deer in thick country. Both are thin on the ground in my neck of the woods. Everything I've ever shot i either saw and approached, saw (or heard) and called in to me, or shot in ambush. never once been alerted by a twig snapping though.. my hearing must really be stuffed

Sorry mate no offence intended, I thought Pete was being a little cheeky and added to it.
Electronic earmuffs help me hear those twigs snap, bushes rustle etc. Sambar are big bodied animals and as sneaky as they are they cannot be silent, on a dead calm day you can hear all sorts of things once the bush settles around you. Once the wind gets up though the only way to hear them is if you spook one and it honks or takes off, no trouble hearing that.
Bigjobss

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey