I Lapped My New Rings and.................

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

I Lapped My New Rings and.................

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Nov 2018, 5:13 pm

It didn't turn out so good. I had a set of low rings on previously, which lapped-in beautifully but no matter what I do, it looks like the dovetails in front and behind the loading port point in different directions.
The ring-mounts have been swapped end for end, moved closer together (they were at the farthest ends of the dovetail grooves) and rotated 180 degrees. The original location has been resumed now but on the agenda is a 180 degree rotation of only one ring-mount. If that doesn't work I will do a 180 to the upper ring halves. Maybe I will swap the ring halves. I know they were not mixed up because they were labelled before lapping began and I don't want to start tearing my hair out because there isn't much left :(
The question remains, "Why did the original ring-mounts lap perfectly or why did I spend $90 on new mounts for this to happen? :crazy: You blokes are my only hope. I can hear the Green Cart trundling up our street Right Now :shock:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: I Lapped My New Rings and.................

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Nov 2018, 5:31 pm

How bad is the misalignment? Some rings have some windage adjustment or can you shim the bases for some vertical adjustment. Are they on a Sako or some other proprietary mounting system?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 30 Nov 2018, 6:22 pm

Pics please.

What makes you think what you're seeing isn't the effect of correcting poorly machined rings? $90 isn't exactly expensive for rings, in fact that's about the bottom of the barrel quality wise.

clamp rings loosely of the lapping rod, clamp rings on rifle, remove top caps, apply a small amount of a fine lapping compound to rod and test to see where it's taking material off. When 70-80% of the surface is cleaned up you're done.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Nov 2018, 7:22 pm

SCJ429
These are Lynx ring mounts being installed on a CZ455. There is no adjustment. The misalignment would put a bend in the scope tube. You can feel it easily.
Chronos
I just hada look at the BRT site and the prices are staggering. The previous rings which lapped beautifully, were nothing like those prices :?
I will look into the approach in your second para thanks mate :) :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 30 Nov 2018, 8:33 pm

I don’t understand. You are never going to correct a misalignment that big, or cause one by lapping, unless you lap with a grinder. It can’t be a bad lapping job, just s**t rings.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 30 Nov 2018, 8:48 pm

Chronos wrote:$90 isn't exactly expensive for rings, in fact that's about the bottom of the barrel quality wise.

$90 is definitely mid quality price range in my experience... around the $30 mark is your bottom end and should be avoided.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Dec 2018, 5:29 pm

2018-12-01 14.49.18.jpg
2018-12-01 14.49.18.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 3243 times

Alignment is out and would bend the scope IMO. Don't like it much anyway especially after the previous mounts were so good.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Dec 2018, 6:34 pm

Chronos wrote:Pics please.

What makes you think what you're seeing isn't the effect of correcting poorly machined rings? $90 isn't exactly expensive for rings, in fact that's about the bottom of the barrel quality wise.

clamp rings loosely of the lapping rod, clamp rings on rifle, remove top caps, apply a small amount of a fine lapping compound to rod and test to see where it's taking material off. When 70-80% of the surface is cleaned up you're done.

Chronos

I don't buy expensive mounts, just leupies, or DNZ as a rule, can't be bothered spending a fortune just to hold a bit of aluminium and glass on a rifle, none have ever failed not even my cheap arse ones on the 22 Brno that have been there for ever in a day and never ever given any issues ever, never had to touch them or touch the Tasco sitting in em, getting onto nearly 30+yrs old now and still getting the job done. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Dec 2018, 7:29 pm

2018-12-01 15.17.22.jpg
2018-12-01 15.17.22.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 3222 times

You can see 0.010" brass shims under the rear ring-mount . The idea is to lift the rear rod into alignment with the front.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Dec 2018, 7:40 pm

2018-12-01 15.46.15.jpg
2018-12-01 15.46.15.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 3216 times

With 0.010" shims. Close but Not. Quite :twisted:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by marksman » 01 Dec 2018, 8:05 pm

hmmm
if its a height problem you would bed the ring bases but put a bar through the both rings (lapping bar) to keep them in alignment
the rings need to be in the exact place they will be living before bedding or lapping, in line with the bore
I also only lap the bottom halves of the rings so you have a tightness from the tops when they are fitted
its how I do it :drinks: hope it works out for you
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Dec 2018, 8:07 pm

2018-12-01 15.46.28.jpg
2018-12-01 15.46.28.jpg (936.38 KiB) Viewed 3210 times

With 0.003" shims under each side of the rear ring mount. Just. Right :D :D Who needs a $100 ring lapping kit :wtf:

My hearty thanks to Chronos :clap: :clap: :clap: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
Would you believe that the hardest part of this whole thing has been picture posting again? I thought I had it licked but eg decided not to tell me this time that my pics were oversize But we Got There :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 02 Dec 2018, 6:54 am

bigfellascott wrote:

Chronos

I don't buy expensive mounts, just leupies, or DNZ as a rule, can't be bothered spending a fortune just to hold a bit of aluminium and glass on a rifle, none have ever failed not even my cheap arse ones on the 22 Brno that have been there for ever in a day and never ever given any issues ever, never had to touch them or touch the Tasco sitting in em, getting onto nearly 30+yrs old now and still getting the job done. :D

I wouldn't call Leupold or DNZ cheap rings, That's about all i use but both are near double the price of the Lynx stuff. I've also used Sports Match a bit and never had much of an issue. I did lap the ones on my Anschutz action and found a small diagonal alignment issue which was removed in about 10 mins of lapping that took barely more than a thickness of paint off...which then left a white oxide mark on the scope tube anyway :lol:

Ironically some of the more expensive rings are near flawless to mount. Sako Optilocks use self aligning delrin inserts to protect the tube and make lapping a thing of the past, lucky given the alignment issues that happen due to the poor maching on the dovetail of some Sako's

YoungBuck wrote:
Chronos wrote:$90 isn't exactly expensive for rings, in fact that's about the bottom of the barrel quality wise.

$90 is definitely mid quality price range in my experience... around the $30 mark is your bottom end and should be avoided.

Disagree mate, there's a reason not many shops sell the Lynx stuff and it's not just because the guy that runs the place is impossible to deal with :lol:

The fact that two rings sold as a pair had such a large variation in height should serve as a lesson IMHO

Glad you got it sorted anyway Wm, the right tools can id some pretty disappointing
manufacturing flaws

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Dec 2018, 8:35 am

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Chronos

I wouldn't call Leupold or DNZ cheap rings, That's about all i use but both are near double the price of the Lynx stuff. I've also used Sports Match a bit and never had much of an issue. I did lap the ones on my Anschutz action and found a small diagonal alignment issue which was removed in about 10 mins of lapping that took barely more than a thickness of paint off...which then left a white oxide mark on the scope tube anyway :lol:

Ironically some of the more expensive rings are near flawless to mount. Sako Optilocks use self aligning delrin inserts to protect the tube and make lapping a thing of the past, lucky given the alignment issues that happen due to the poor maching on the dovetail of some Sako's

YoungBuck wrote:

Disagree mate, there's a reason not many shops sell the Lynx stuff and it's not just because the guy that runs the place is impossible to deal with :lol:

The fact that two rings sold as a pair had such a large variation in height should serve as a lesson IMHO

Glad you got it sorted anyway Wm, the right tools can id some pretty disappointing
manufacturing flaws

Chronos

$90 isn't exactly expensive for rings, in fact that's about the bottom of the barrel quality wise.

:unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Scopes, sights and optics