Hmr17 slugs

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Hmr17 slugs

Post by simpsonhey » 02 Dec 2018, 12:43 pm

Hi all just purchased my first riffle a ruger american blue hmr17. Iwill be shooting bunnies and maybe a fox or 2. Ok so i have watched 102 videos on these guns and have seen lots off awsome results. Which ammo is the best allrounder that wont missfire like the whinchester s**t iv seen. Cheers legends
simpsonhey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Hmr17 slugs

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 03 Dec 2018, 9:17 pm

I have found the A17 by cci to be the most consistent and less prone think ive had 2 total split necks out of perhaps 1000 rounds. Cci tnt is another that pops to mind is another great round that also performs well. And you will have no dramas with foxes,cats,bunnies given that with practice you should be able to hit a 20c piece within 150m. Its all about placement
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 03 Dec 2018, 9:20 pm

Misfire like the winchester ? Hmmmm,that's a first for me....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 03 Dec 2018, 10:22 pm

All that was available in Bunbury when I had a lever Ruger in .17 HMR was Hornady 17gn pills and I never had a problem or miss fire ever.The 20 cent piece at 150 is right if you have the scope and eyesight mine came with a 8 x 40 fixed which was perfect for me total cost $770 brand new in the box
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Dec 2018, 12:12 am

simpsonhey wrote:Hi all just purchased my first riffle a ruger american blue hmr17. Iwill be shooting bunnies and maybe a fox or 2. Ok so i have watched 102 videos on these guns and have seen lots off awsome results. Which ammo is the best allrounder that wont missfire like the whinchester s**t iv seen. Cheers legends

Slugs are for shotguns.
The only way to discover which ammo shoots best in your specific rifle is to try everything you can find.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 04 Dec 2018, 6:42 am

bladeracer wrote:
simpsonhey wrote:Hi all just purchased my first riffle a ruger american blue hmr17. Iwill be shooting bunnies and maybe a fox or 2. Ok so i have watched 102 videos on these guns and have seen lots off awsome results. Which ammo is the best allrounder that wont missfire like the whinchester s**t iv seen. Cheers legends

Slugs are for shotguns.

And air rifles!! :D :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 04 Dec 2018, 7:59 am

I've put about 90 rounds through the CZ455 .17HMR so far.
All of them are the CCI 17Gn Vmax
Ran the barrel in with about the first 20 shots. LOTS of cleaning between shots...

Sighted her in to around 50 meters initially(factory trigger is a bit rough for much better than that for me), and found it to be producing very small groups at that range.
Puffballed about 25 feral birds and one ginger rabbit in the following week; mostly around 50 -60 meters.
Put a Lowey trigger kit in; removed the majority of the trigger creep, and installed a slightly softer spring.
Trigger feels good enough for 100 metres, and so sighted it in for 100.
Now, I seem to be freaking useless in shooting anything closer than 100; missed 2 rabbits, and 4 feral birds so far; all about 40 metres.
When I take the time and use a rest to sight the rifle on a target, the hole appears exactly where I intended, so it's operator error.
[Getting used to the change in trigger and the holdovers for the closer targets; I expect.]

I have got a new DIP adjustable sear to install at some stage, and I've now moved to an Area419 Picatinny rail, as well. I have been somewhat delayed setting the scope up on the new setup (my spare Leupold alloy Picatinny rings stripped when torquing the ring screws....sigh), so I should see the new rings in a few days.
In the mean-time, I have the Pulsar NV scope on it. Crap optics compared to the Vortex, but hopefully good enough to pokk a few ferals that are invading the garden most nights... I really only need a max of ~40 metres to pokk the sods.

In all of this, the CCI Vmax rounds have been accurate, but quite dirty(looks to be powder residue). A neighbour is currently running CCI stingers in his .22LR, and mentions the same.
An elderly cousin has owned a .17HMR for some years, and he says the small caliber makes them wander(groups widen out) if you dont clean them frequently. I havent really seen that issue, but I wouldnt be surprised if these CCI rounds mightnt cause that.
[I'd stress that I havent yet noticed that issue myself, and I'd have run maybe 60 rounds through it between cleanings. HOWEVER, I've also missed quite a few of my recent hunting shots, but I'm currently putting that down to the village idiot behind the trigger..]

I havent tried the Winchester or the Hornady .17HMR ammo; the CZ came with a factory grouping report for the barrel, and they state they were using CCI ammo for the test, so I started out with that. So far; no reason to change.
My experience; every rifle will likely be different.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 04 Dec 2018, 8:23 am

I used to use the Winchester because it was cheap. I would get 5 or 6 neck splits or more per 50. The Hornady was 17gr Vmax was better. I've only had one neck split that I saw and that ammo was a few years old.

I recently bought some Winchester with the 20gr jacketed hollow point. Doesn't shoot quite as well as the Hornady. But was $18.50 per 50. The brass seems to better.

But even at $18.50 per 50. I can reload the 223 cheaper. So I don't bother much with the 17 HMR. I usually pull a bore snake through ever 50 rounds or so. The clean barrel would also take a few shots to settle down.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Dec 2018, 9:55 am

Well I've never had a 17HMR, but I did have it's steroid abusing big brother the 17WSM.
The only people who made ammo for it then, and perhaps even now, were Winchester and they were 100% reliable, not to mention eye gogglingly hard hitting, never had an issue.
Doesn't really answer your question simpsohey, just saying.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Biggus63 » 04 Dec 2018, 11:06 am

If you're really just going for bunnies the 17 grain CCI V-Max work very well indeed. If you're seriously going after foxes I'd use the 20 grain CCI Game Point. The 20 grain round is 175 fps slower than the 17 grain one so you'll have to either re zero the weapon or compensate. For myself I use the 20 grain round since I get more shots at foxes than bunnies.
Biggus63
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by simpsonhey » 04 Dec 2018, 6:07 pm

Cheers all i really havent herd anything good about whinchester rimfire bullets. And have watched a lot cci and hornady seem too be the go ill just try them all. Im sorryfor insulting people by calling ammunition slugs but really its all good. Thanks all
simpsonhey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 04 Dec 2018, 6:38 pm

I finished sighting in the NV scope this arvo. It's only 4x with a ho-hum image, so I only bothered with a target at 50 metres. However, I was able to put all of the 5 rounds into about a 20 cent piece, which I didnt think too bad for the crappy optics on the NV scope.

After I'd painted an index line on the NV scope, I found I did have a set of 30mm rings that were high enough to mount the Vortex scope, so removed the NV scope, and mounted the Vortex and sighted it in for 50 meters as well. From the last 5 rounds, I'd guess they all landed in a 10-cent piece at 50 meters.
With a bit more time & practice, I'd be surprised if I couldnt go close to that at 100 meters, but not much point for what I'm doing with it at present, and there are some more changes to be made which will require more sighting-in, so I'll leave it with what I've got for now.
These were all CCI V-Max 17gn cartridges; I'm really happy with how they perform. I'll try the Hornadys some time in the near future to see what they are like, but these CCI are working well.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Dec 2018, 6:53 pm

simpsonhey wrote:Cheers all i really havent herd anything good about whinchester rimfire bullets. And have watched a lot cci and hornady seem too be the go ill just try them all. Im sorryfor insulting people by calling ammunition slugs but really its all good. Thanks all

Nobody was insulted :-)
Any day you learn something is a good day.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 05 Dec 2018, 12:43 am

Gaz,The .17WSM is pushing boundaries on rimfire but must of been good fun.I have to wonder if it will catch on as a regular chambering.I was shown the .17 HMR and my first reaction was I must have this.I cant share on a public forum what the second owner did as I have to detune half my stories
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 05 Dec 2018, 12:59 pm

G'day Duncan,

Yes mate, for a rimfire, it's astounding. I have long wished I'd been able to keep it but economics and space meant that to get the .223 I "needed", I had to trade one out.

The ammo price is what's holding it back I think, it's certainly not the performance. I was paying 62c each, I'm reloading the .223 for much less.

My rifle was a Bmag with the target barrel and Boyd's thumbhole, very accurate even with me waving it around.

Webp.net-resizeimage (18).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (18).jpg (377.76 KiB) Viewed 3676 times

This was a hit just under the left ear at 85m.

Webp.net-resizeimage (1.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1.jpg (556.66 KiB) Viewed 3676 times

And below shows just why it did the above to Tony Rabbott.
I accidentally clipped the W-Strap of a ramp at the shearing shed from 60m, right at the top where the 3mm steel is folded double.

Webp.net-resizeimage (.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (.jpg (325.51 KiB) Viewed 3676 times

Webp.net-resizeimage (16).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (16).jpg (231.7 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Crankycant » 09 Dec 2018, 8:08 am

I've tried all the 17hmr ammunition available to me in my marlin xt, the winchestester performed terrible split necks,galore shooting all over the paper and issue to feed properly it may have been that batch but I never bought another box to check as it just annoyed me enough to turn me off, as for others my preferred ammo preference in my rifle is
Hornady vmax 17g
Remingtons b tip 17g (expensive)
Hornady 20g hp
Cci a17
Winchester b-tip 17g
but as said above you may have a very different experience yourself just go try them, my mates love the winchester and I despise them.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by simpsonhey » 09 Dec 2018, 4:49 pm

Thanks all
simpsonhey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales