Police Inspection - 155kg safe not bolted

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Police Inspection - 155kg safe not bolted

Post by wooosaah » 23 Nov 2018, 8:32 am

I have just moved address and got a call from the police that they want to do an inspection. I have been renting since having my guns so I got a 155kg Spika safe so I don't have to bolt it down. (This is VIC)
I have read on forums that people say they sometimes try and shake or move the safe to see if its secure. Obviously without being bolted down you could push the thing over if you tried, any issue with this for the police? By the law I'm compliant with the weight just wondering on others experience?

The safe is in a hallway cupboard, would it be helpful at all to cover it with a sheet or something to make it more "hidden"?
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Police Inspection - 155kg safe not bolted

Post by tom604 » 23 Nov 2018, 8:47 am

you could push it over but unless your superman you will have a hard time moving it :lol: the cops only push on safes to see if they are bolted to the floor and as you have said your's doesn't need to be :thumbsup: save your sheet as well :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Nov 2018, 2:13 pm

wooosaah wrote:I have just moved address and got a call from the police that they want to do an inspection. I have been renting since having my guns so I got a 155kg Spika safe so I don't have to bolt it down. (This is VIC)
I have read on forums that people say they sometimes try and shake or move the safe to see if its secure. Obviously without being bolted down you could push the thing over if you tried, any issue with this for the police? By the law I'm compliant with the weight just wondering on others experience?

The safe is in a hallway cupboard, would it be helpful at all to cover it with a sheet or something to make it more "hidden"?

It might be handy if you are able to get hold of the written specifications of the safe, re the weight, you could show it to them up front, it may save any confusion or creative interpretation by them.
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Nov 2018, 6:13 pm

tom604 wrote:you could push it over but unless your superman you will have a hard time moving it :lol: the cops only push on safes to see if they are bolted to the floor and as you have said your's doesn't need to be :thumbsup: save your sheet as well :thumbsup:

Golf balls work well from what I hear to move em :D all ya gotta do is think and if ya smart enough you will find a way (ie a trolley will work well and no doubt was used to move the thing in the first place :D :drinks:

If it was me I'd bolt the thing down to at least give the crims a bit of a challenge :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 26 Nov 2018, 8:51 pm

golf balls :lol: :lol: thinking outside the box on that one, moved mine with a trolley but she was still a big job, mind you i was being careful, not trying to steal it :unknown: :thumbsup:

golf balls,,,,,love it :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Nov 2018, 10:56 pm

I agree with bigfella mate leave nothing to chance you may end up with two nasty pieces of work doing the check
so cross the T's and dot the I's end of drama :thumbsup:
I just used a couple of short wood screws 1''long x1/4'' thick :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Nov 2018, 5:37 am

tom604 wrote:golf balls :lol: :lol: thinking outside the box on that one, moved mine with a trolley but she was still a big job, mind you i was being careful, not trying to steal it :unknown: :thumbsup:

Yep you’d be amazed what the bastards will use to get the job done.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 27 Nov 2018, 6:23 am

bigfellascott wrote:
tom604 wrote:golf balls :lol: :lol: thinking outside the box on that one, moved mine with a trolley but she was still a big job, mind you i was being careful, not trying to steal it :unknown: :thumbsup:

Yep you’d be amazed what the bastards will use to get the job done.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Give the laziest person the hardest job and they will find the easiest way to get it done!!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wooosaah » 27 Nov 2018, 7:54 am

They came last night, was all good.

He shook the safe a little and I said it was 155kg and he was happy.
Then they checked the serial numbers, without even clearing the firearms. There was 2 officers and while trying to read the serial number he pointed my 357 revolver straight at his partner.
Didn't check or ask where I keep the ammo or the keys.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Nov 2018, 10:08 am

wooosaah wrote:They came last night, was all good.

Then they checked the serial numbers, without even clearing the firearms. There was 2 officers and while trying to read the serial number he pointed my 357 revolver straight at his partner.

re checking where you keep the keys, I would hope no officer would ask this question, for one it has nothing to do with them as there is no lawful requirement for this, and two I would be suspicious of anyone wanting to know where you keep keys, regardless of their position.
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Nov 2018, 11:02 am

Member-Deleted wrote:

re checking where you keep the keys, I would hope no officer would ask this question, for one it has nothing to do with them as there is no lawful requirement for this, and two I would be suspicious of anyone wanting to know where you keep keys, regardless of their position.

They can ask but they won't be told where just that they are safe :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Nov 2018, 11:04 am

The officer that last did my inspection asked what my purpose was for having firearms, I replied to control vermin and hunt etc, she said you'd be surprised how many answer for protection, in which case she takes their firearms!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wooosaah » 27 Nov 2018, 11:22 am

Member-Deleted wrote:

I thought maybe they'd ask if the keys were in the same room as the safe or something like that.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Growler » 27 Nov 2018, 4:41 pm

If they asked me where i keep the keys I'd first "Bwahahahahahaha, then loaded question there old cock"
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bullzeye » 01 Dec 2018, 4:19 pm

Keep the brochure of the safe & specs handy for when the police come and inspect. I’d recommend sticking them to the inside of the safe so you can ‘prove’ this safe meets the regulations.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Dec 2018, 9:59 pm

bullzeye wrote:Keep the brochure of the safe & specs handy for when the police come and inspect. I’d recommend sticking them to the inside of the safe so you can ‘prove’ this safe meets the regulations.

This^^^^^^ :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by DJCoopes » 04 Dec 2018, 12:11 pm

bigfellascott wrote:The officer that last did my inspection asked what my purpose was for having firearms, I replied to control vermin and hunt etc, she said you'd be surprised how many answer for protection, in which case she takes their firearms!

Protection from vermin? or did she just assume protection from other people?
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Dec 2018, 12:59 pm

DJCoopes wrote:
Protection from vermin? or did she just assume protection from other people?

Getting harder to tell the difference these days.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 04 Dec 2018, 2:49 pm

If it were me I’d bolt it even if I didn’t have to.
Especially after you’ve just shared this information on a public forum.
You’d be surprised how much info someone with nothing better to do can gather from the net by reading your old posts and doing some googling.
I don’t mean to be critical but sometimes the less people know the better.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Time2shoot » 04 Dec 2018, 6:50 pm

bigfellascott wrote:The officer that last did my inspection asked what my purpose was for having firearms, I replied to control vermin and hunt etc, she said you'd be surprised how many answer for protection, in which case she takes their firearms!

You should have said "for shooting pigs"
Savage MkII .22lr (soon to be replaced with A22 pro varmint)
Lithgow LA 102 .223
Weatherby Vanguard .308
Time2shoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Victorian gun laws