Lithgow la101 22lr chambering issue

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Lithgow la101 22lr chambering issue

Post by Macvw72 » 04 Dec 2018, 7:38 am

Hi all. I recently bought my rifle. I knew they could be a little fussy on ammo, as in for accuracy, but I have an issue that I hadn't read about yet. First was Browning match ammo (it is crap quality, definitely not match or even standard quality). It would not fit into the chamber 1 in 3 rounds average. I had a few stuck cartridges that I had to pry out. Geco match worked fine but not accurate enough. Cci green tag worked fine but the jury is still out on the accuracy. Cci mini mags were the most accurate so far but out of a box of 100 18 refused to chamber, as they would not fit. Probably the same again fitted but felt extra tight. Now I know this has to be due inconsistency in the ammo manufacturing, but is it normal to have this tight tolerance in the chamber? Has anyone else had this problem?
Nothing has been mentioned in any of the reviews I have watched and read on the Lithgow.
Macvw72
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Lithgow la101 22lr chambering issue

Post by allan » 05 Dec 2018, 1:41 pm

While not true match chambers, the LA101 is machined to quite tight specs.

I have a couple - One fitted with a Maddco with a match chamber. Like Anschutz sporters, these rifles aren't fond of some "bulk" ammo - CCI SV & Stingers come to mind.

If you're prepared to spend a little extra, any of the SK, RWS or Eley offerings (both standard & HV) should work for you. SK Rifle Match shoots as well as anything in my OEM barrel.

Some may consider your "issue" a problem - I only see close spec. well finished chambers as a bonus.

Hope this helps,
Allan.
P.S. I'm assuming that your chamber and bore are clean - A bit of crud in the leade area will cause hard chambering of rounds.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 4:30 pm

Macvw72 wrote:Hi all. I recently bought my rifle. I knew they could be a little fussy on ammo, as in for accuracy, but I have an issue that I hadn't read about yet. First was Browning match ammo (it is crap quality, definitely not match or even standard quality). It would not fit into the chamber 1 in 3 rounds average. I had a few stuck cartridges that I had to pry out. Geco match worked fine but not accurate enough. Cci green tag worked fine but the jury is still out on the accuracy. Cci mini mags were the most accurate so far but out of a box of 100 18 refused to chamber, as they would not fit. Probably the same again fitted but felt extra tight. Now I know this has to be due inconsistency in the ammo manufacturing, but is it normal to have this tight tolerance in the chamber? Has anyone else had this problem?
Nothing has been mentioned in any of the reviews I have watched and read on the Lithgow.

If the ammunition does not fit into the chamber that would be a problem.
How far in does the cartridge go before getting stuck? If it's the last millimeter or so it might be a short chamber and the bullet is hitting the rifling - can you see rifling marks on a bullet after chambering the cartridge?

Have you inspected the chamber to ensure there is no debris or machining marks, or if the chamber is too short?
I'd be sending it back to Lithgow if it won't chamber ammo.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 05 Dec 2018, 6:45 pm

What’s the first two digits of the serial number?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Macvw72 » 05 Dec 2018, 7:28 pm

in2anity wrote:What’s the first two digits of the serial number?

Z09***
Macvw72
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 05 Dec 2018, 7:38 pm

Macvw72 wrote:

Z09***

Are there two digits left of the Z? They used to precede the Z with the year of manufacture... if not then they’ve changed the regime, which probably means it’s a fairly recent one (which is a good thing)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Macvw72 » 05 Dec 2018, 7:47 pm

I have cleaned chamber and barrel twice now just to be sure. I always clean after a shooting session.
When a bullet won't chamber it usually won't go past the bullet itself. Sometimes a little further and then gets stuck. I have always been able to push it out with a rod. When it is tight or will still chamber all the way in, fire and then eject.
Green tags and Geco so far chamber flawlessly. I can't afford to keep shooting green tags just for fun though. Plus I am trying to find a accurate and reliable hunting round as well.
Macvw72
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macvw72 » 05 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm

in2anity wrote:
Macvw72 wrote:

Z09***

Are there two digits left of the Z? They used to precede the Z with the year of manufacture... if not then they’ve changed the regime, which probably means it’s a fairly recent one (which is a good thing)

It has no numbers to the left of the Z. I was told it was a recent model. I bought it new 2 weeks ago.
Macvw72
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 05 Dec 2018, 8:05 pm

Macvw72 wrote:It has no numbers to the left of the Z. I was told it was a recent model. I bought it new 2 weeks ago.

Ok that’s good - if it were a (20)15 built one I’d say don’t waste your time and send it back under warranty - some of the early ones had weak extractors. I’ve had experience with a few different ones now - peeps use them (myself included) for RMS - and FWIW they seem to like CCI-SV, any SK or ELEY. And of course the pricier target ammo. Indeed they have tight tolerances.
Last edited by in2anity on 07 Dec 2018, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 07 Dec 2018, 8:09 am

I had feeding issues with the two aftermarket 10rd mags i bought but followed the fix on Ozzie reviews (reversing the spring under the plate) and that solved that problem- get a misfeed every 200 rnds with most ammo - a few more with CCI stingers (but have stopped using them). Thinking back ive had a couple of CCI Std's not chamber properly but only a couple and i put that down to a variation in the ammo (ive put over 3000 rnds of CCI std through it by now) . CCI Velocitor is the most accurate HV ammo ive tried so far and SK Match the most accurate of all- but CCI std and most things i put through it still shoot tiny little groups at 50M.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Macvw72 » 10 Dec 2018, 8:53 pm

PaddyT wrote:I had feeding issues with the two aftermarket 10rd mags i bought but followed the fix on Ozzie reviews (reversing the spring under the plate) and that solved that problem- get a misfeed every 200 rnds with most ammo - a few more with CCI stingers (but have stopped using them). Thinking back ive had a couple of CCI Std's not chamber properly but only a couple and i put that down to a variation in the ammo (ive put over 3000 rnds of CCI std through it by now) . CCI Velocitor is the most accurate HV ammo ive tried so far and SK Match the most accurate of all- but CCI std and most things i put through it still shoot tiny little groups at 50M.

I appreciate your insights. So when you had a problem with the clambering was it the diameter of the bullet not allowing it to go into the chamber?
Macvw72
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 11 Dec 2018, 7:40 am

Well no- with the last round out of the magazine it would come out at a funny angle and not feed - the nose of the round would pop up,
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles