For want of a conversation - hunters remorse?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: For want of a conversation - hunters remorse?

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 4:06 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Screw the spiders. I’ll burn the house down trying to get a huntsmen and then move house if I don’t find the crisp body.

You'd have trouble living with me then, we love our spiders and snakes :-)
When we were moving the cattle to the other block a friendly huntsman popped out of the visor in the 'Cruiser :-)
Attachments
20181118_203112b.jpg
20181118_203112b.jpg (182.17 KiB) Viewed 4518 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Dec 2018, 4:48 pm

There’s my reason for owning multiple 12g’....in case I miss....several bloody times like.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bent Arrow » 05 Dec 2018, 5:26 pm

PaddyT wrote:All good points , fishing is a "blood sport" if its C&R or otherwise but a lot of species have excellent survival rates if done properly and the survival rate of a dead fish on deck is exactly zero-so - will still release a lot of certain fish- will kill quite a lot too, I mainly use lures and techniques that avoid guthooking fish but as you say some of the released fish will die, would still rather get out for a fish than sit on a fricken beach and stare at the waves!

Survival rates are dependent on a whole lot of stuff, some of which is, and some of which isn't within your control. I have no qualms about brain spiking a fish and slipping it into an ice sluury if I'm going to eat it.

Depending on the species and depth of water, a lightly hooked fish that is quickly and carefully released has a reasonable chance of survival, so releasing undersized fish is legitimate and ethical. Deliberately setting out to catch and release is totally legal, but it doesn't align with my ethical/moral compass any more.

People often justify catch and release fishing by saying that they are doing the fishery a favour by not taking those fish out of the population. Honestly, they'd do the fishery a bigger favour by not drawing on it all. It's kind of (sort of) like people that claim their primary motivation for hunting is to control feral animals, but are very selective about what they shoot, get the s**ts on when government agencies want to implement intensive cull programs that might knock the local population down, or pissed off when farmers realise those pesky goats are actually worth something and start rounding them up and stopping/limiting hunters from shooting what has now become livestock to many farmers. People just need to be realistic about the ramifications of their actions, be upfront and accountable, and not use hypocritical arguments to defend their choices.

If you get a big buzz out of catching fish your not going to eat, why not target some of the introduced freshwater species that are over abundant and pull hard?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by marksman » 05 Dec 2018, 8:19 pm

I have to say that after my first child was born I shot a hare that was pregers, the fetuses resembled a human baby to me and it put me off quite a bit
it also made me wanting more accuracy for head shots or shots that are bang flop
when culling roo's I have to put down the young in the pouch if there is any and I dont like doing that at all either :thumbsdown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by trekin » 06 Dec 2018, 4:04 am

TassieTiger wrote:I mentioned this previously- it’s completely hypocritical of me, the way I treat fishing vs hunting. I’ll try and catch my limit without any care in the world and I’ll throw the fish in a bucket..squid, whiting, flathead, what ever to die and won’t care (although I’m thinking different after this thread)..I have a freezer - so most fish will be eaten eventually - no second thought at all....BUT...Then I’ll be lining up a wallaby and think right - are you sure of the shot, are you prepared to dress the animal, and the possibility of having to dispatch a young Joey, etc ...it’s internal bulls**t and makes no sense. It gets worse...
If I catch a field mouse in the house - it’s dead...no question. If I see one scurrying in the field out of the way of the ride on - I’ll go around it. It’s insane.
I mean i could take it a step further - why should spiders have any less right to live than a fish or a deer? ... okay...too far, I know. Screw the spiders. I’ll burn the house down trying to get a huntsmen and then move house if I don’t find the crisp body.

Cause
stralia.jpg
stralia.jpg (24.11 KiB) Viewed 4471 times

:o :lol: :drinks:
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 06 Dec 2018, 10:34 am

Bent Arrow wrote:
PaddyT wrote:All good points , fishing is a "blood sport" if its C&R or otherwise but a lot of species have excellent survival rates if done properly and the survival rate of a dead fish on deck is exactly zero-so - will still release a lot of certain fish- will kill quite a lot too, I mainly use lures and techniques that avoid guthooking fish but as you say some of the released fish will die, would still rather get out for a fish than sit on a fricken beach and stare at the waves!

Survival rates are dependent on a whole lot of stuff, some of which is, and some of which isn't within your control. I have no qualms about brain spiking a fish and slipping it into an ice sluury if I'm going to eat it.

Depending on the species and depth of water, a lightly hooked fish that is quickly and carefully released has a reasonable chance of survival, so releasing undersized fish is legitimate and ethical. Deliberately setting out to catch and release is totally legal, but it doesn't align with my ethical/moral compass any more.

People often justify catch and release fishing by saying that they are doing the fishery a favour by not taking those fish out of the population. Honestly, they'd do the fishery a bigger favour by not drawing on it all. It's kind of (sort of) like people that claim their primary motivation for hunting is to control feral animals, but are very selective about what they shoot, get the s**ts on when government agencies want to implement intensive cull programs that might knock the local population down, or pissed off when farmers realise those pesky goats are actually worth something and start rounding them up and stopping/limiting hunters from shooting what has now become livestock to many farmers. People just need to be realistic about the ramifications of their actions, be upfront and accountable, and not use hypocritical arguments to defend their choices.

If you get a big buzz out of catching fish your not going to eat, why not target some of the introduced freshwater species that are over abundant and pull hard?

Carp? couldnt be bothered- sure a lot of the demersal species have poor survival rates especially if they have had barotrauma, and as for bothering a fish to submission on very light line, thats not really my go. Most pelagics release pretty well or can be revived to the point of a successful release, as i said a sure way to kill a fish is drop it on the deck and cut its throat, if it goes back it has a chance to survive. If i am fishing demersals in deeper water (which generally bores me to tears) then i stop fishing when i have enough for a feed. I dont see any scientific evidence that fish feel pain in the same way higher order animals do so i certainly dont see my actions as hypocritical- the PETA campaigns showing dogs with hooks in there mouths are pure hysterical BS as far as i am concerned, and fishing still remains a more "acceptable action" in our current society than hunting so I can only imagine that the downfall of fishing as a recreational activity would be long preceded by the downfall of hunting. I make a legislated choice to release all fish i catch that are outside size/bag limits and I make a personal choice to release fish that I think would be better off left in the water eg marlin, large breeding females(flathead etc) AND to your final point I accept the ramifications of my actions without having to justify it to anyone!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 06 Dec 2018, 10:42 am

We had the youngest niece(18) here last week; giving us a hand.

After getting her to do some de-festering of a store-room, it comes to light she's a bit squirrelly about spiders. She doesnt mind feeding them all into the big-arse vacuum cleaner, but if one of the poor little Daddy Long-Legs tries to make a run for it in her direction, she abandons ship!

So, another couple of hours later(while she was out assisting the overseer clean out a cattle grid), I note she seems to be attracting the damn things(See attached)!!

Of course; being of the younger generation, she's soooo quick to accuse her poor, tottery old uncle with the gimpy leg, of being responsible for this plague of arachnids.....
Sigh....

As if I would do such a thing!

I so badly wanted to dig up a Tarantula, and glue his back four legs to one thong, but leave the front legs to wave around....too far??
Is giving a relative a heart attack considered bad Juju??
Attachments
20181130_100458 (2).JPG
20181130_100458 (2).JPG (733.52 KiB) Viewed 4735 times
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Dec 2018, 11:28 am

You know, reading through posts, ya like to think that you get a sense of someone and what their about...and I was - pastense - starting to think you were a bit alright, but Fark me...nope. That’s just wrong. So many levels.

I’ll never forget, when I was about 11 I was in an old shooting shack with my much beloved grampa. This place wasn’t good...very run down and grampa didnt mind a Few beers. I was in my sleeping bag scared crap less to go to sleep because a huntsmen was walking down the wall toward the bottom end of my sleeping bag.
My ole Dar, decided the shotty was closer to him than a boot...and a big hole appeared when spider once was...of course later that evening o woke up to a rat that had used the hole to get access to my bag - but hey...least the spider was gone.
Love him, miss my Dar greatly...taught me to fish, shoot, etc all the stuff that school didn’t (wouldn’t)...an absolute legend.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 06 Dec 2018, 2:55 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:We had the youngest niece(18) here last week; giving us a hand.

After getting her to do some de-festering of a store-room, it comes to light she's a bit squirrelly about spiders. She doesnt mind feeding them all into the big-arse vacuum cleaner, but if one of the poor little Daddy Long-Legs tries to make a run for it in her direction, she abandons ship!

So, another couple of hours later(while she was out assisting the overseer clean out a cattle grid), I note she seems to be attracting the damn things(See attached)!!

Of course; being of the younger generation, she's soooo quick to accuse her poor, tottery old uncle with the gimpy leg, of being responsible for this plague of arachnids.....
Sigh....

As if I would do such a thing!

I so badly wanted to dig up a Tarantula, and glue his back four legs to one thong, but leave the front legs to wave around....too far??
Is giving a relative a heart attack considered bad Juju??

My daughter hates spiders...so I sent her a photo of a huntsman on my tongue and said I was on my back working under a rude log seat at the Guide camp when it dropped into my mouth :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Crankycant » 09 Dec 2018, 10:37 am

This is a very interesting post I might add as I think we are all on common ground and enjoy chase. I know young blokes love to kill but they must be taught at a young age whilst they still have malleable minds that zero waste thrill of the chase and an emphatic kill are of utmost importance. I know I have taught my 5 youngings the right way, not sure they all grasp it yet as there young but older two have already have a very good understanding that a living being in regards to animals must be sacrificed to preserve the life of humans. Too many kids are so detached from food I have nieces and nephews that live in the city and they are under the impression that the supermarkets grow meat out the back of the shop and they are teens and majority of there friends also agree :cry: Tas I really hope you can work out what is going on without laying down the gun and calling it a day on hunting as I'm sure from what Ive read in your post you really enjoy it.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Dec 2018, 1:59 pm

I have zero remorse for spiders. ZERO!
They need to die. I need to not see them around.
I will hunt and fish until my remaining days tell me I can’t, but I think the learnings that life bring are worth discussing. The next time I line up a baby deer or a small wallaby I might just take a few secs to understand my needs vs my wants - because real world things happen on the switch of that trigger...not only in the target animals world but whether you believe it or not - in our minds world as well.

And BR, I’m a joker by trade, I get the spider thing and would expect nothing less when the day comes that I meet some of you. I’ll justjave to make sure I have two pairs shoes.,,.as I will shoot and kill the first pair if I see some fake spider legs moving out of one :-)
Take care.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 09 Dec 2018, 4:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2018, 4:59 pm

TassieTiger wrote:And BR, I’m a joker by trade, I get the spider thing and would expect nothing less when the day comes that I meet some of you. I’ll justjave to make sure I have two pairs shoes.,,.as I will shoot and kill the first pair if I see some fake spider legs moving out of one :-)
Take care.

I battle with vertigo, and I'm a roof carpenter :-)
I don't understand how these things work, but I do understand the crippling fear that comes with them...and the giggles that come from abusing the knowledge :-)
I went up the tower in Canberra a few years ago, I had to crawl out to the edge to look down...and promptly wished I hadn't!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Dec 2018, 5:05 pm

Well in that case you’d get a laugh out this...who says China doesn’t have a sense of humour lol
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5nJX3sbbM
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Rod_outbak » 09 Dec 2018, 6:21 pm

Niece Evie is returning for a few days tomorrow....Apparently didnt scare her off the first time around!

On Saturday, I was in town, and mentioned to her sister(20) that I needed to find another spider to scare Evie.
Sister thought that was a GREAT idea...

After rummaging the toy dept, we find this big-arse redback spider, which is battery powered and runs around on what look to be toothbrush bristles under the body! Damn thing is as creepy as heel, and is even hairy to pick up.
I turned it on, and it even creeped me out; seeing it run around the floor at speed. The lesgs twitch like they are alive, and it would give even a spider lover a few nightmares.

Perfect...

First thought was to leave it in the grog cupboard, (see pic) as Evie has developed a taste for a nice whiskey at the end of the day, and seems to actually be able to appreciate the taste of decent whiskey.
An 18-year-old with an appreciation for taste and quality in alcohol!
Who'da thunk of THAT??

However, I'm now thinking of leaving it on top of the big vacuum cleaner, as she was planning on continuing the epic de-fester of the house for me, between some jobs out in the paddock...

Either way; kinda think I should have a de-fib unit handy...

Nahhhh; She's young. She'll recover...

No; havent glued any Tarantulas to any thongs; they are in hibernation until it rains, so they are safe for now...
Did you know that Tarantulas have bifold mittens on the end of their feet, so they can grasp things?
And they have claws on the very end of their feet to dig with?
And they can dig burrows down over a metre?
Amazing animals; some of them would love to visit the island state one day...

What a freaking kind and caring uncle I am...
Attachments
20181209_130114 (2).JPG
20181209_130114 (2).JPG (357.02 KiB) Viewed 4406 times
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2018, 6:24 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Well in that case you’d get a laugh out this...who says China doesn’t have a sense of humour lol
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5nJX3sbbM

Yeah, much appreciated :-)
I think I'll have to keep some huntsmans in my pocket just in case we bump into each other sometime ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Dec 2018, 7:30 pm

Dear Minister, it has to come to my attention that several mainland ppl are attempting to smuggle into Tasmania certain species of animals that contravene the laws of humanity...it is my suggestion, that the artillery cannons based at Burnie. Penguin and Ulverstone be manned and ready for action - with Devonport fireblasters also On the ready in case the c%*+| s can swim....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Rod_outbak » 09 Dec 2018, 8:05 pm

Wuuss...
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Dec 2018, 8:24 pm

christ rod , you post another pic of good whiskey and i'm comin' up for a visit . :lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey