The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The introduce yourself thread (combined)

Post by bumpy76 » 24 Nov 2018, 12:29 pm

G'day all, Rob here.

Found this place a little while ago and have had a bit of browse, not a lot of posting stuff.

My family and I have recently moved to the NSW Riverina area, and don't know anyone, or what type of shooting is around, apart from the SSAA range, and seeing the odd fox darting across the road.

Brand new, fresh out of the packet shooter, as green as they come. I don't really know a great deal about rifles etc, but i'm working on it, so forgive me, if I ask A LOT of new question, but that i think is the best thing about forums, lots of info, and helpful people.

I've got my licence application to apply for my firearm licence, still need to do my safe handling course, as well as join up with the SSAA.

Once that is all done, the hard part of getting myself a rifle. I know it'll be a .22LR, i'm hoping to get either a Lithgow LA101, or have also been looking at Ruger American standard. It'll probably be a used gun, as the budget won't stretch for a new one.
Just want to get out there..... patiently waiting........
bumpy76
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Nov 2018, 1:03 pm

G'day Rob, welcome aboard.

No such thing as a silly question mate, just doing silly things because you didn't ask.

Loved my LA 101, still kicking myself for selling it, never used the Ruger.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Ecobogan » 05 Dec 2018, 8:09 pm

Hello fellow shooters,
I shoot pretty much everyday and have been perusing this site for a while now so thought I'd join! I live on 93 acres in central Vic and love the bush....which, in a literal sense, makes me an environmentalist.
I'm very Interested in the technical side of shooting and firearms themselves, love hunting and am keen to tap into the walking encyclopaedias that share this forum.
Trained as a blacksmith, nowadays I'm more metal fabricator and love a good hot rod, fast bikes and o/s travel. Gun laws and where they're heading are of much interest to me...and everyone else!!! and would like to get involved with that in some form.
Thanks and talk soon Richard
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by DJCoopes » 06 Dec 2018, 7:03 pm

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself
I am interested in firearms design and function, as well as the political controversy and legal issues that come with it.
I don't currently own a gun, but would love to.
You guys have already been a great help in my journey, providing well-written and factual responses to my queries.

As a side note, does anyone know why there is no minors/juniors license in WA?

Thanks,
DJCoopes
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 06 Dec 2018, 7:16 pm

Because it's WA, DJ.

An absolute goatgroper of place.

Firearms wise, that is.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by 1Fatman » 06 Dec 2018, 7:34 pm

DJCoopes wrote:

Thanks,
DJCoopes

Hi DJ,

In WA you have to be 18 to hold a firearms license but unlike other states there is no age limit or permit required on supervised use of a firearm which is basically all that the junior/minor permit allows you to do.

Taken from the WA police FAQ page.

Under Section 10 of the Firearms Act the minimum age for the issue of a licence
or permit in Western Australia is 18. However, there are no age restrictions on
the use of a firearm, other than a handgun, while under the direct supervision of
the licensed owner of the firearm.

And a minors permit in NSW;

What does a Minor's Permit authorise?
This permit authorises the minor to possess and use firearms under the personal supervision of a firearms licence
holder for the purpose of receiving instruction in the safe use of firearms or competing in shooting events.
This permit does not authorise the acquisition of firearms.

So as you can see there is no benefit but it does save you $75 in W.A
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Dec 2018, 8:06 pm

Welcome all you newcomers hope you enjoy yourselves on here :thumbsup:
And yes there is a lot of info on here and one thing you will learn there's not only one way to do something
some blokes have cracker ways of doing certain things
Cheers :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Bremen » 16 Dec 2018, 11:19 am

Hi all

Shooter Adelaide. I use to post on the other major forum but it seems its paid now and not very active? I cant figure out the user interface. I have done a bit of culling and mainly pistol shooting now as a property to use is very difficult to find. I would like to do some trophy hunting at some stage but time is never on ones side as a student.
Bremen
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by DJCoopes » 17 Dec 2018, 8:24 pm

1Fatman wrote:
DJCoopes wrote:

Thanks,
DJCoopes

Hi DJ,

In WA you have to be 18 to hold a firearms license but unlike other states there is no age limit or permit required on supervised use of a firearm which is basically all that the junior/minor permit allows you to do.

Taken from the WA police FAQ page.

Under Section 10 of the Firearms Act the minimum age for the issue of a licence
or permit in Western Australia is 18. However, there are no age restrictions on
the use of a firearm, other than a handgun, while under the direct supervision of
the licensed owner of the firearm.

And a minors permit in NSW;

What does a Minor's Permit authorise?
This permit authorises the minor to possess and use firearms under the personal supervision of a firearms licence
holder for the purpose of receiving instruction in the safe use of firearms or competing in shooting events.
This permit does not authorise the acquisition of firearms.

So as you can see there is no benefit but it does save you $75 in W.A

"authorises the minor to possess"
i think that is the key discrepancy between them
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 23 Dec 2018, 10:01 pm

Gday folks
Twice a year hunter, have had my finger on the trigger for roughly 4 years. I shoot the odd clay target.
Hunting is the means I use to get out amongst it with a few mates with the bonus of some meat for the table.
Cheers!
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sherlock » 23 Dec 2018, 10:55 pm

Hi have got back into shooting game, 3years ago.After a very long break.Hopefully can contribute in some way.Cheers
Sherlock
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Arcwolf » 03 Jan 2019, 3:12 pm

Just got my Cat A & B lic. after being rejected roughly 7 years ago looking forward to buying my 1st Rifle thinking Tikka T3x in .233 for general targets and small to medium game as I would like to hunt and process my own meats an provide others with meat also, Unsure what glass to get to pair with said rifle but wont cheap out on it.

Got my eyes set on a Hy Skor R Series 12 Gun Safe because I plan on having roughly 6-8 firearms in total including some Cat H ones.

In Future would like to get into feral pest managment and maybe obtain a Cat D lic.

Only been a member for a few days but have been reading post religously and learnt so much already! previous questions I had wanted to ask answered just by searching, So I would like to thank you all for posts, comments questions and answers!
The Wild Card
Arcwolf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 Jan 2019, 11:17 am

G’day Mate.
Hope you get as much out of this forum as I have.
Pretty good bunch in general and only to willing to help out.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Arcwolf » 05 Jan 2019, 11:24 pm

JimTom wrote:G’day Mate.
Hope you get as much out of this forum as I have.
Pretty good bunch in general and only to willing to help out.

Already have i learnt a wealth of knowledge
The Wild Card
Arcwolf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 06 Jan 2019, 7:36 am

:welcome: aboard all the newcomers..don't be shy !! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Zeju » 16 Jan 2019, 7:56 am

How’s it going?

Just been in the process of getting set up and now waiting for my license (since 13-12-2018) so hopefully I’ll be up and running in a month or two more.

This community is awesome and far more active than any others I’ve seen so I’m probably going to spend a lot of time here. Cheers!
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Austwave » 03 Feb 2019, 11:01 am

Hi Guys,
New to the sport, well its been a long time anyways.
In Sydney so never really had the opportunity or time. Came for 2 years nearly 30 years ago.
Spent most of my time fishing.
From down the far south coast NSW originally Eden way and still have family down that way.
Cousins get out for a deer hunt regularly(mainly fallow) and I am keen to get into it with them.
Got my licence application in awaiting approval and will get my R once its sorted.
Have been looking at what rifle to start with and am keen on the Tikka Super Lite in a 223 with a Leupold 3.5-10 X 40
And liked the look of the Lithgow LA102 in 308.
Look forward to learning from the wisdom of the group
Thanks for having me
Regards
Craig
Austwave
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Steve-0 » 03 Feb 2019, 1:19 pm

Hello all.
Just a quick g'day n how ya goin.
I reside in south west-ish Victoria. Always loved guns, and finally pulled my finder out late last year and got my license. Went out and bought one of these super accurate and affordable Howa .223 I hear everyone raving about. So far have only shot at paper, but it's been unreal fun so far.
Definitely have a lot to learn, and hopefully I'll pick up some knowledge on the forum here.
Look forward to having a yarn or three in the future.
Cheers
Stephen
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aussieloader » 04 Feb 2019, 11:56 am

Hi guys,
Just a few lines to introduce myself to others on the forum. I am over 50 and have had longarms as well as used/owned handguns in the past. I work in the Security industry in Darwin. I have hunted the usual pigs, donkeys, the occassional feral camel in central Australia, roos, rabbits and foxes in Vic where I originally came from 24 years ago. Now I have an urge to try reloading and have bought a Lee 50th Anniversary Loader and all the extras. I intend to reload for my Weatherby Vanguard .308. Even though I do not have experience in reloading I am familiar with operation of firearms, understand the dangers of cartridge pressures etc. But I am sure I will have questions regarding many aspects of setting up the press etc so I am hoping some of the knowledgeable people on this site can help me. Keep your powder dry, well chat soon.
Paul
Aussieloader
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Arctic » 18 Feb 2019, 9:05 pm

Hi All,
My name is Mark,and live South of Adelaide.
My aim (no pun intended) is to eventually join the farmer assist program run by the S.S.A.A.
I currently have zero firearms but have just put a deposit on a .223 rifle to start the ball rolling.
I am keen to visit a range to get the 'eye in' but have to wait for the approved (or not) PTA.
Seems like a good crew here,and I've learnt quite a bit just by 'lurking' for a while.
Man of few words and all that,
Cheers,Mark.
Arctic
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bottlebolt » 21 Feb 2019, 9:57 am

Hi All

Really enjoying reading the information available in this forum, it's a great resource.
I've been around the sport since I was a young tacker but only just getting back into it again recently after drifting away for a while.

Trav from Kyneton.
bottlebolt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by CrackThump » 22 Feb 2019, 2:09 pm

Humble beginings to what looks like being a VERY expensive hobby..

Just waiting on my PTA's to come back and its ON .. hehehe i wont have to keep borrowing rifles
Attachments
20190222_150233.jpg
20190222_150233.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 10190 times
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 22 Feb 2019, 6:16 pm

Nice safe mate. Have fun filling it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2019, 7:01 pm

As dear or cheap as you want.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2019, 7:50 pm

Howdy to all new guys... :drinks:

Arctic wrote:Hi All,
My name is Mark,and live South of Adelaide.
My aim (no pun intended) is to eventually join the farmer assist program run by the S.S.A.A.
I currently have zero firearms but have just put a deposit on a .223 rifle to start the ball rolling.
I am keen to visit a range to get the 'eye in' but have to wait for the approved (or not) PTA.
Seems like a good crew here,and I've learnt quite a bit just by 'lurking' for a while.
Man of few words and all that,
Cheers,Mark.

Arctic...if you want to go to a range to shoot before you get your rifle(s), send me a PM...
Im pretty busy at the moment with trying to organise my life around a (hopefully) very busy & cracker of a fox season...but if timetables allow, im happy to meet you & take a few rifles out to the range & let you have a crack... :thumbsup:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Arctic » 26 Feb 2019, 8:49 am

G'day Stix,first up thank you for your generous offer.
I am currently trying to send a PM but am a bit rusty around forums so it may take a while...
Cheers,Mark.
Arctic
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Kel » 02 Mar 2019, 9:46 am

Hi All,

Now that I've semi retired and living on acerage, I've gone through the hoops to get back into shooting. (A/B/H) Original I obtained my license as a teenager in WA and gave it up when my RAAF flying/deployments got in the way of regular pistol club attendances in SA (Service Pistol). Now I'm in NSW (Southern Tablelands) and disappointed to see the extent of gun restrictions in place in NSW. Joined the Shooters Farmers and Fishers party today too.

My A & B and Probationary pistol licenses have been issued and now I'm waiting on the A & B PTAs to come though.

I look forwards to reading the forum and getting back up to speed on recreational shooting.

Kelly Anne
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 02 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

Gda kel +all the recent members :drinks:
Good to have ya's on board!!! :welcome: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Mar 2019, 12:52 pm

G'day new people and all others
Welcome to the forum
Member-Deleted

Post by GQshayne » 04 Mar 2019, 3:41 pm

Howdy. A while back I was googling info on wild dogs and up comes a link to this forum. "Look at that" I thought, an Aussie forum. Since then I have read a number of topics on here, and found a lot of useful information. And on occasion I considered that I could have contributed to a topic being discussed, or asked a question myself. But to do that you have to be a member eh?? So here I am.

I got my first rifle, a .177 cal spring air rifle when I was about 8 years old, in the late 1970's. I still have it. It came with a spare spring, which I still have, and has never been fitted. Maybe one day. Then I graduated to the good old .22lr, a model 94 Winchester in 30/30 when I was 14, and then a Tikka LSA55 Deluxe in .243 just before my 16th birthday. I still own it too. Currently they share the gun safe with an Anschutz 1415 .22LR, and an FN Browning BLR in .243.

I am not much into range shooting at all, even when sighting in a rifle I prefer to do it on private property somewhere if I can. My use for my rifles is hunting, with my favourite quarry being the old feral pig. When occasion permits a fox or a dog too maybe.

Cheers,
Shayne
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation