The Hunt for "The Aussie Rifle"

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

The Hunt for "The Aussie Rifle"

Post by DJCoopes » 06 Dec 2018, 6:55 pm

What are your guys thoughts on the most australian rifle / most popular rifle in australia / most iconic aussie rifle?
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: The Hunt for "The Aussie Rifle"

Post by bigpete » 06 Dec 2018, 7:17 pm

Sporterised lee Enfield
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 06 Dec 2018, 7:17 pm

bigpete wrote:Sporterised lee Enfield

:thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 06 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm

Most popular...being over time...?

I would have thought would be one of the .22's...the iconic aussie bunny smasher...

Brno...
Lithgow...
Sportco...
Ruger 10/22...

When i was growing up, every third house had one in the wardrobe or behind the parents bedroom door...!!

(Really not that long ago...!!)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 06 Dec 2018, 8:02 pm

don't mind those jokers,,sporterised lee enfield :lol: :lol: Lithgow is "the only" Aussie rifle ,made here to exacting standards :allegedly: and we might as well get straight into caliber :twisted: .243 is the Aussiest of all Aussie rifle caliber's :clap: :clap: ,,called the "Pope" as it has sent more animals to Heaven than any other caliber :drinks: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Chappo » 06 Dec 2018, 8:42 pm

Lithgow certainly is a staple when it comes to Aussie firearms. The slazenger marketed 22’s were in every farmers broom closet back in the day. They put food on the table, busted bunnies during the plagues and thousands of kids learnt the basics with one.
Sporterised lee Enfields were just as popular too given they were plentiful post war and easily modified to suit a civilian market.
Lithgow saw this and modified their own to 22hornet and 410ga also marketed by slazenger.
Many offshore brands have found a place here too like Brno, Winchester and Ruger and some have become as Aussie as the Japanese built lancruiser but I think my vote would have to go to the Lithgow .22’s as the caliber itself has also been a must have for pretty much everyone.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Dec 2018, 11:53 pm

If sheer weight of numbers seen at the range on any given weekend is any guide, then the answer might be they're made in Japan - they're called Howas
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Dec 2018, 11:55 pm

tom604 wrote: Lithgow is "the only" Aussie rifle ,made here to exacting standards

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 07 Dec 2018, 6:57 am

When I first started shootin about 33 years ago at 16, the standard rifle everyone had a version of, was a sporterised Lee Enfield. Due to availability and cost, the amount of 303 wildcat chamberings would’ve rivaled what 308’s are today . The 222 rimmed martini was another thing unique to Australia. Lithgow 22’s were Australian, but everyone wanted a Brno, about then, people really started embracing and building Mauser customs, the Swede 6.5’s shot rings around lots of stuff, but there wasn’t a lot of ammo around and it wasn’t cheap. 222’s and 243’s were the caliber to have as I remember. Lever 94 Winchester had been a constant thing if you could get one. That’s when I was young, there’s so much choice in rifles now it’s mind boggling. Powder and projectiles as well. THE Aussie rifle I think at this point in time is the Tikka. I still love Winchester model 70’s but :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Dec 2018, 5:11 pm

anyone remember the sportco semi auto 22lr ? the one that had a vent on the left side of the action and would give a painful powder burn if ya hand was in the wrong spot :D :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation