Primer pocket reamers and uniformers

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Primer pocket reamers and uniformers

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 07 Dec 2018, 10:02 am

Whats the difference between a primer pocket reamer and a primer pocket uniformer?

What do you blokes think of this set?
Attachments
20181207_093618.png
20181207_093618.png (428.06 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Primer pocket reamers and uniformers

Post by ob1 » 07 Dec 2018, 10:25 am

A reamer removes any crimp around the primer pocket, but does not change the depth of the primer pocket. Easier primer seating.

A uniformer changes the depth of the primer pocket, but does not remove any crimp. Uniform primer depth, if that is a problem.

If you have a lot of brass to remove crimp, put the reamer into a cordless drill for quicker processing. A small or large primer reamer in a removable handle is probably all that you need. Available on ebay.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 07 Dec 2018, 10:25 am

the reamer takes out the crimp and the uniformer uniforms the depth
I still have and use an older wooden handle uniformer made by lyman although I did buy the K&M primer pocket uniformer
but I usually grab the lyman, it works as good as the K&M but much cheaper
IMHO its a good kit, good on you for wanting to get the most out of your reloads :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks:

in the kit I also like the vld inside neck chamfer tool
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2018, 2:55 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Whats the difference between a primer pocket reamer and a primer pocket uniformer?

I have used two types of pocket reamer/uniformers before I got the one I have now.
I use them in the drill press and uniform my pockets in all my brass before I start loading it.

Although the first ones worked just fine, I managed to shear the spindle on one or maybe two of them.

The current one is made out of hex bar stock by a machinist in the US and I LOVE it.
20181207_155021b.jpg
20181207_155021b.jpg (135.17 KiB) Viewed 3423 times

For removing crimp I use a 10mm drill bit in the drill press, and then cut the pocket to depth.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Dec 2018, 4:47 pm

I use the K&M uniformer to clean out the ash from the primer. I set the depth so that it does not take out any brass shavings.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2018, 6:51 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I use the K&M uniformer to clean out the ash from the primer. I set the depth so that it does not take out any brass shavings.

I don't clean the pockets when loading them, I just cut the pockets on all my brass to consistent depth, deburr the flash hole, and don't touch them again.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2018, 7:11 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Whats the difference between a primer pocket reamer and a primer pocket uniformer?

FMD (that's f*** me drunk) way over the top, I'm pretty sure I paid $20 or $30 for my "uniformer and pocket cleaner in the same brand, :unknown:

Way over the top price wise to clean and "uniform" primer pockets. :wtf:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Dec 2018, 7:57 pm

bladeracer wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:I use the K&M uniformer to clean out the ash from the primer. I set the depth so that it does not take out any brass shavings.

I don't clean the pockets when loading them, I just cut the pockets on all my brass to consistent depth, deburr the flash hole, and don't touch them again.

The carbon can build up and prevent consistant primer seating, that said as long as your primers are not sitting proud and you are getting the results you want why bother. For me I couldnt sleep at night if I don't do it. :shock:
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition