2 shot semi auto Cat B centrefire

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: 2 shot semi auto Cat B centrefire

Post by Ecobogan » 07 Dec 2018, 8:41 am

Thanks mate that's a very good point. The vast bulk of the shooting I do is rabbits, foxes and hares with a 10 shot CZ453
Not even a week ago a hare came into the yard, this is a six acre yard. I took aim and shot it...the hare was moving slightly and I missed a kill shot. It was knocked down, got up sat there stunned for a second then took off. Damn! I took off after it and it stopped at the fence, this time a lot further away. I managed to get in a second shot and it was dead.
It occurred to me that a 2 shot semi auto having a near instant follow up shot would probably have put it down in the first instance.
I then got to thinking... could that be a thing?
A friend down the road who's an avid deer hunter agrees. Yes we could all be a better shot and I practice pretty much everyday hitting the head of a batten screw at 50m with 6-7/10 hits and want to keep getting better.
Truth is we don't always get it right and an instant follow up shot may just prevent a wounded animal escaping.
It was just an idea which is why I put it to you guys....maybe the double barrel rifle or others are the way to go
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 07 Dec 2018, 9:54 am

my favourite thing when we had self loaders was to have a mate back to back with me on the top of a good warren with a bucket of shells and ferrets chasing the rabbits out at 100mph :lol: :lol: :drinks: better fun than shooting clays :thumbsup:
it was great fun and you really thinned out the rabbits for the farmers, we used to take 500 or so shells and usually go home with empty's
it was well and truly worth reloading a shotgun shell then
those were the days :thumbsup: :drinks:

it would be good to get them back for hunting, even in 2 shot as a start, a push for more capacity later on would be expected
you have to remember that in vic the shooting clubs were the ones who told us to except that loosing the self loading shotguns was inevitable
there was no fight to stop the gun laws changing, the clubs were trying to stop any effect on them and what they did,
field and game were just one of the clubs happy with 2 shot under and overs so did not care if the self loaders were taken
I think now it would be a bit different as they are not scurrying around trying to protect there little patch or I should hope so
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Dec 2018, 11:30 am

Yeah; I still dont see that there is a use for a 2-shot centrefire semi.

The scenario you describe would be just as quickly dealt with using a pump-action or lever-action Cat B rifle.
A nice little BLR in 22-250, or maybe a Savage 99 in .243, would do the job nicely.

To be honest, the times I've used a semi rifle(and I've used quite a few of what are now deemed Cat D), I've found the easy availability of follow-up shots has lowered my expectations on my shooting skills.
Maybe thats just me, but having another shot available with just a squeeze of the trigger, has reduced the pressure to get the shot right in the first place.
I work a that much harder with every shot, when I know I've got to cycle the bolt before I'll be able to send another round down-range.

Myself; I dont really have a problem with Cat D weapons being heavily restricted; most people dont need the rapid-fire capability.
[And I would be able to justify being eligible to possess a CatD if I wanted one]
It's not like a semi-auto centre-fire rifle is useful on the range for target work, and it's not like it's ideal for shooting clays or ducks.
Even in the event of needing quick follow-up shots, I just dont see that a pump-action or lever gun dont give you very similar results.

I've seen people who run helicopter hire businesses, who will come and hunt down dingoes and/or mobs of feral pigs for us.
They dont bother with owning a Cat D; it's less paperwork and hassle to use a Pump-action rifle like a 7615.
When DQC shot the many, MANY thousands of pigs down in the channel country a few years back, while they had ample justification to use Cat D rifles, they chose Ruger scout(.308) rifles for the work.

So, I keep coming back to the fact that I cant see a niche where a 2-shot semi-auto centrefire rifle fills a need.

I appreciate the thought experiment, and desire to 'think outside the box', but it's kinda in the same light of how if/when I get the cash to replace my elderly Landcruiser 100 series, the ideal replacement WONT be a Lambhorghini LM002...
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 07 Dec 2018, 12:42 pm

Lamborghini do make a SUV.... just saying
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Dec 2018, 2:13 pm

Yeah, I see that.
Still cant say that it's be the smartest choice for me....

But part of me STILL says it'd be awesome to own a car with that logo on the bonnet...
[Even thought about stealing the emblem off a tractor at one stage....]
Lamboghini Urus - Twin-turbo V8 punching out 478kw, 21" rims and a top speed of 300kph...
Whats not to like??
Kinda looks like a REALLY beefed-up Prado....
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GojiraSteve » 07 Dec 2018, 3:21 pm

Rod_outbak wrote: dont really have a problem with Cat D weapons being heavily restricted; most people dont need the rapid-fire capability.
[And I would be able to justify being eligible to possess a CatD if I wanted one]
It's not like a semi-auto centre-fire rifle is useful on the range for target work,

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I do disagree with you on the above Rod. There are a number of practical shooting disciplines for which semi autos are useful if not required (3-gun being probably the most popular).
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2018, 3:31 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote: dont really have a problem with Cat D weapons being heavily restricted; most people dont need the rapid-fire capability.
It's not like a semi-auto centre-fire rifle is useful on the range for target work,

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I do disagree with you on the above Rod. There are a number of practical shooting disciplines for which semi autos are useful if not required (3-gun being probably the most popular).

I disagree further in that I can't see any reason to restrict them from people that want nothing more than to enjoy owning and shooting them, just like we used to.

The question of 3-Gun always makes me wonder something.
If every gun shop and range in Australia had a petition on the counter, would we have more than 100,000 shooters signing up to demand access to Cat C/D for sporting use?
Something like: Semi-auto centrefire rifles with ten-round mag restrictions held under the same requirements as handguns, only allowed to be used at approved ranges. I personally have zero interest in 3-Gun but I would certainly sign such a petition so others can enjoy it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 07 Dec 2018, 3:44 pm

i'm not trying to rain on your parade or put ya down ecobogan, but why are you thinking of this type of action ? me personally i think 22 lr semi auto's should be available to those who want them. i'm also of the belief that you make the first shot count. i know it's not a perfect world, sometimes you do get a bad shot, and need a quick follow up. maybe i'm a fudd, but unless your on the land culling large numbers, or a professional , their isn't a real need for semi auto's . except to say it's fun. pre port arthur a mate of mine had a m1 carbine and sks and it was fun having a blast. a well trained enfeild shooter or a slick old lever gun could probably place accurate shots just as quickly anyway JMHO :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2018, 3:55 pm

bigrich wrote:i'm not trying to rain on your parade or put ya down ecobogan, but why are you thinking of this type of action ? me personally i think 22 lr semi auto's should be available to those who want them. i'm also of the belief that you make the first shot count. i know it's not a perfect world, sometimes you do get a bad shot, and need a quick follow up. maybe i'm a fudd, but unless your on the land culling large numbers, or a professional , their isn't a real need for semi auto's . except to say it's fun. pre port arthur a mate of mine had a m1 carbine and sks and it was fun having a blast. a well trained enfeild shooter or a slick old lever gun could probably place accurate shots just as quickly anyway JMHO :drinks: :thumbsup:

It's nothing to do with whether you need a second shot, it's about having the ability to take an immediate follow-up shot if it's required.
Semi-auto is the most humane way to hunt for that reason.
If somebody finds they actually hunt differently because they have a semi-auto that's their personal problem, it does not automatically apply to everybody else.
And it should never be about "need". We need air, we need water, and we need an occasional feed. Everything else is just stuff we want.
There is nothing wrong with somebody simply wanting to own and use a semi-auto if they wish to.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 07 Dec 2018, 4:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:i'm not trying to rain on your parade or put ya down ecobogan, but why are you thinking of this type of action ? me personally i think 22 lr semi auto's should be available to those who want them. i'm also of the belief that you make the first shot count. i know it's not a perfect world, sometimes you do get a bad shot, and need a quick follow up. maybe i'm a fudd, but unless your on the land culling large numbers, or a professional , their isn't a real need for semi auto's . except to say it's fun. pre port arthur a mate of mine had a m1 carbine and sks and it was fun having a blast. a well trained enfeild shooter or a slick old lever gun could probably place accurate shots just as quickly anyway JMHO :drinks: :thumbsup:

It's nothing to do with whether you need a second shot, it's about having the ability to take an immediate follow-up shot if it's required.
Semi-auto is the most humane way to hunt for that reason.
If somebody finds they actually hunt differently because they have a semi-auto that's their personal problem, it does not automatically apply to everybody else.
And it should never be about "need". We need air, we need water, and we need an occasional feed. Everything else is just stuff we want.
There is nothing wrong with somebody simply wanting to own and use a semi-auto if they wish to.

hey blade, just trying to get my head around it i suppose. need and want are two different things yeh. i just rationalise it differently i guess. that;s not to say i wouldn't mind a browning BLR :D :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2018, 6:32 pm

bigrich wrote: hey blade, just trying to get my head around it i suppose. need and want are two different things yeh. i just rationalise it differently i guess. that;s not to say i wouldn't mind a browning BLR :D :thumbsup:

I am touchy on the "need" clause after having to write to firearms explaining why their definitions of "need" are focused purely on the end result of the bullet, and totally ignore the simple pleasure of the shooting of the firearm :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 07 Dec 2018, 6:41 pm

yeah, the law is a bit easier in QLD with regard to need mate :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing