something feels a little off

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

something feels a little off

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Dec 2018, 10:24 am

Fellas, anyone else notice we've had a lot of questions & posts lately asking about things like capacity limits and whether it is possible to modify things (not scopes/rings/ triggers etc but modifications that might take you into a different category) and storage and licensing questions that seem, how shall I put this, unusually specific and a little too pointed?

If it's just me and you think my tin foil hat is a little too tight :crazy: , let me know, but my spidey senses are tingling right now and I think we need to be a little more judicious in how we answer some questions... not everyone reading or posting on this forum is a friend to the LAFO

I'm just going to leave this here...
and a reminder from them to think about what we post here:
He and Peters also began lurking around internet chat rooms used by shooters. "We'd use pseudonyms and write things like, 'Hey fellas, I actually don't think a little regulation is a bad idea,' " Chapman says. "We'd then see how people responded, and that would help us shape our arguments in future."
Member-Deleted

Re: something feels a little off

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2018, 3:10 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Fellas, anyone else notice we've had a lot of questions & posts lately asking about things like capacity limits and whether it is possible to modify things (not scopes/rings/ triggers etc but modifications that might take you into a different category) and storage and licensing questions that seem, how shall I put this, unusually specific and a little too pointed?

If it's just me and you think my tin foil hat is a little too tight :crazy: , let me know, but my spidey senses are tingling right now and I think we need to be a little more judicious in how we answer some questions... not everyone reading or posting on this forum is a friend to the LAFO

I'm just going to leave this here...
and a reminder from them to think about what we post here:
He and Peters also began lurking around internet chat rooms used by shooters. "We'd use pseudonyms and write things like, 'Hey fellas, I actually don't think a little regulation is a bad idea,' " Chapman says. "We'd then see how people responded, and that would help us shape our arguments in future."

If Police are now investigating us based on theoretical things we say instead of actually tracking down criminals and preventing crimes, then we are well past the point of ever returning to having a useful Police force. When it becomes criminal to imagine and discuss theories we might as well just change the country's name to North Korea. People that are law-abiding should not have to fear their own Police force, regardless of what they say or think.

A LEO actually responded to a thread here some time ago to straighten out a legal discussion, so there is no doubt we are monitored.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 07 Dec 2018, 3:28 pm

it wouldn't at all suprise me fellas. i mean, being firearm owners/ hunters/rural lifestyle enthusiasts ( how's that for a made up politically correct term :lol: ). the powers that be might be concerned that we are spending too much time enjoying ourselves online instead of building our fall out shelters , attending neo-nazi rallies and/or klan meetings. we should be grateful for their monitoring of our state of mind and well being . :sarcasm:

DISCLAIMER- i have a dry sense of humor and do not participate in any of the above listed activities. i was being sarcastic .

i do hope the cops/feds are onto radicals or nut jobs, cause all it would take is another port arthur and our rights to own firearms would be under serious threat. on the other side of the coin my father was a senior constable in brisbane in the early 1970's, and what he claims went on defies belief. so, who's policing the police ? :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Dec 2018, 7:45 pm

Question:-
If you attend a clan rally, does your sheet HAVE to be white??
I'm having a bit of trouble keeping the laundry side of things going well...

Looking at how bad I am at separating colours (just chuck em all in!), I could likely go either a pink or a pale blue sheet?
Would that still be okay??
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Dec 2018, 8:15 pm

I'm of the belief that all forums to do with the shooting sport is being checked from time to time
I think it's a case of user beware if your worried
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 07 Dec 2018, 8:18 pm

Either one would fit right in Rod.
Saw something on tv about them and some character called the Grand Goat Squeezer or some such, had a shiny purple satin one :thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Dec 2018, 8:34 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Question:-

Looking at how bad I am at separating colours (just chuck em all in!), I could likely go either a pink or a pale blue sheet?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup: and that's Klan rally rod. a Clan rally is a bunch of drunken scotsmen :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Dec 2018, 10:08 pm

Oh....right!

Clan rally .... Bring whiskey.
Klan rally .... Bring sheet....

Got it!
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 07 Dec 2018, 10:22 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Question:-

you have to soak in nappy san first , then wash in cold power (save the planet,wash in cold water)
pink is only for special meetings , keys in a bowl type of meetings :lol: :lol:

oh sorry you meant "clan" meeting,,grab a bottle of whiskey and they won't care what your dressed in :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Dec 2018, 10:27 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Oh....right!

Got it!

Clam rally - bring worsteshire
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by knowsnothin » 07 Dec 2018, 10:35 pm

i thought it was off.
nothing wrong with a little low level paranoia...
its healthy
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 07 Dec 2018, 11:00 pm

I think we would have to be naive to think we were not looked at from time to time .
as for colored Klan sheet it proves you male rod I believe in fully integrated washing too
So how many clansmen do you think go to Klan meetings
Do I think we have had some unfriendly,s of late probably
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by booomr » 07 Dec 2018, 11:04 pm

I always thought the klan was big on separating washing.

They always talk about being anti colours.
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
Dickinson T1000 12g Synthetic 28"
Bergara B14 Ridge .308 in McMillan TACA3
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 08 Dec 2018, 6:34 am

Member-Deleted and others

You would have to have rocks in your head to think that this and many other forums go unmonitored. If not in real time then occasionally.
Remember that anything you put out on the internet lives forever.
If particular words or phrases are detected by robotic monitors then closer manual scrutiny will follow.
The monitoring is nowhere near the heavy handed style of some other countries but the outcomes can be much the same.
A perhaps not so good analogy is like the difference between rape and seduction. Two different processes but they result in much the same outcome.
Particularly at risk are remote country people who are used to far less public scrutiny and thus enjoy the freedom to do things that may be frowned on in more populous places.
Above all, beware of the "judas goat" posters.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 08 Dec 2018, 6:35 am

[quote="booomr"]I always thought the klan was big on separating washing.

They always talk about being anti colours.[/quote

:lol: who would have thought there would be so many funny take the piss out of the Klan jokes :lol: “ the grand goat squeezer” gaz ? Are you sure you haven’t confused things with the kiwi Klan ? :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Archie » 08 Dec 2018, 8:44 am

Even if not actually monitored, there’s more than one cop out there who’s also into hunting and shooting. It would be no surprise if some forum members happened to be police, and it would be a bit worrying if someone said something really stupid online and they didn’t do anything at all.

I was wondering if the person the other day who was asking, in effect, “am I going to have trouble getting a licence because I have a legal history involving domestic violence” was a sh*t stirrer but eventually decided they were just looking for information. Even if they didn’t like the answers they got (“yes you will have trouble you moron and so you should”) for the most part.

One of the reasons people come to this forum to ask questions is a lot of the various factsheets can be unclear on details. And most people don’t have experience interpreting legislation or regulations. So when you want specific answers it’s a logical place to ask detailed questions. And I think for the most part people try and give sensible answers. There’s a lot of space between explaining how to comply with a rule you might not like, which happens all the time, and encouraging people to break it - which I haven’t seen.

But yeah if someone is asking something that really they shouldn’t be, then just telling them to talk to the FAR to clarify the rules, is the safe bet I think.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2018, 1:23 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote:Oh....right!

Got it!

Clam rally - bring worsteshire

I'd bring a Rubber, ya should have a good chance of getting laid by one of them clams with that many in attendance :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Macross » 08 Dec 2018, 4:26 pm

Given the wait times for approvals in Qld at the moment, it would seem that there must be an influx of people either returning or starting out new to shooting. Ive been away from the sport since the Howard Govt. purchased my rifles off me some decades ago. Things have changed a lot since then and its somewhat overwhelming when dipping your toe back in the water again with all the regs etc.

I think people can feel more comfortable asking seemingly 'silly' questions somewhere like a forum, rather than look like a dill at the LGS or gun club. Ive got a few dozen silly questions queued up for the pistol threads in the next few months.... :)
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 Dec 2018, 5:16 pm

G'day Macross.

Mate, I'm not a pistol shooter so I can't offer anything along that line.

But you're in the right place to ask virtually any question, on virtually any subject, and as long as you accept or reject the answers with the respect in which the advice is offered, there really isn't a silly question.

I've learned an incredible amount, right here, by asking questions I thought might sound silly.
:thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 08 Dec 2018, 9:57 pm

a silly question ya shouldn't ask on here is "should i buy another gun ?" :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Dec 2018, 2:47 pm

Macross wrote:Given the wait times for approvals in Qld at the moment, it would seem that there must be an influx of people either returning or starting out new to shooting. Ive been away from the sport since the Howard Govt. purchased my rifles off me some decades ago. Things have changed a lot since then and its somewhat overwhelming when dipping your toe back in the water again with all the regs etc.

I think people can feel more comfortable asking seemingly 'silly' questions somewhere like a forum, rather than look like a dill at the LGS or gun club. Ive got a few dozen silly questions queued up for the pistol threads in the next few months.... :)

As a relatively newbie - relative meaning a returning shooter - you simply don’t know what you don’t know...and questions that you think, wtf they must be kidding - are dead set legit to the person asking a Q.
Eg - someone in another thread said that they’d stay away from a 260 Calibre over a 6.5 cm because 260’s were hard to obtain...had it been a question, I would have answered but because it was a statement it was annoying...I’d rather ask the question if I don’t know the answer, for sure, than assume something that turned out to be wrong.

I think also - because of long wait times - a bit of psychology creeps in to the fold. Eg I’ve put my pta in, Ive selected my Calibre, I’ve thought about ammo and reloading for my preferredrifle...now what? Sit and wait like an over excited snake with no where to go? Bulldust - I’m hitting the forums...to try and dampen down my sleepless nights until I can handle my own firearm.

It needs to be also said - as an avid motorcyclist who has now moved away from mainstream, I used to visit various bike and biker type forums.
We would often arrange a run from A to B to C and ask certain others to tag along.
The thing that got me was that one of the moderators told us that they had been approached by the feds to open certain ppls PERSONAL Messages!! I don’t know if this is even possible but I I see govt is now moving to make decryption of messages legal for them - if they feel the need....Big Brother ain’t going no where peeps.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by booomr » 09 Dec 2018, 7:55 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
It needs to be also said - as an avid motorcyclist who has now moved away from mainstream, I used to visit various bike and biker type forums.
We would often arrange a run from A to B to C and ask certain others to tag along.
The thing that got me was that one of the moderators told us that they had been approached by the feds to open certain ppls PERSONAL Messages!! I don’t know if this is even possible but I I see govt is now moving to make decryption of messages legal for them - if they feel the need....Big Brother ain’t going no where peeps.

As someone who has run forums on other subjects, I can confirm this is possible. Because the data for the message is stored on the forum itself (if the particular forum has pm logging available) then it actually isn't considered personal. It's considered to be online data. Personally, I think it might be a bit of a grey area that the law needs to catch up with. Though I think, technically, the request is meant to go to the site host.
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
Dickinson T1000 12g Synthetic 28"
Bergara B14 Ridge .308 in McMillan TACA3
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Dec 2018, 9:02 pm

^That’s really concerning - imagine if you used a throw away line, in the heat of the moment, a stupid comment via a PM - thinking that a pm is a safe option rather than broadcasting your feelings on an open forum.
And although a number of holes in the cheese might neeed to line up...3 weeks/months later your in court, in front of a jury trying to explain yourself...scary stuff.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Rod_outbak » 10 Dec 2018, 10:23 am

It's safe to assume that everything you write on the net, is likely accessible by people other than your intended recipients...

It's been that way since the internet first became public-access (in the early 1990's??).
And yes; I can appreciate that a PM would be considered to be 'private', but the fact that the message is being stored on someone else's computer network without any binding relationship to you, means that this was going to happen at SOME stage.
With these new data-encryption access laws that have just been passed, it's only going to get more so.

It's why social media continues to freak me out; people pour their lives into it, and then their personal details start leaking out all over the place!

You MIGHT have some better chance at keeping data private if you are paying for a service that guarantees a level of data privacy (like cloud accounting services), but even they arent totally private, and are obligated to hand data over to the feds if they get a tap on the shoulder.
[And besides; NOT a lot of people send many PM's through their cloud accounting access!]
We all gave up a LOT of our privacy, when we embraced the internet, and privacy laws are over 2 decades behind the technology.
With the continuing hysteria about terrorism, I reckon we will lose even more privacy in the next few years.

Over 10 years ago, there were multiple court cases around the world, where company employees discovered that ANY emails they sent from their work email account were deemed to be company property.
The company provided the equipment, the server, the software and the internet access for the emails to be sent, and so the emails were deemed to be company property. It really didnt go well for employees who had been [privately] slagging off at the boss.
[Not saying I 100% agree with this, but I'm using it as an example of how nothing we write on the net has been truly private for a long time..]

So, my thought is to always consider/assume that everything you write, is going to be read by people who arent sympathetic towards your point of view.; regardless of how private you think the conversation is.

Secondly, I remember a story about a village idiot(Nicknamed Kerro) who used to frequent the Lyceum Hotel in Longreach, and was waxing lyrical one night about all the fish he'd illegally netted in a creek somewhere. He gets a tap on the shoulder from the local DPI Fisheries inspector(a rather overzealous sort), who tells this idiot he's nicked.
Kerro tells this guy to piss off.
Fisho says "Do you KNOW who I am?? I'm the local fisheries inspector!"
Kerro replies with "Well, do you KNOW who I am?? I'm the biggest liar in Longreach!"
At this point, Mr Fisho comes to the horrid realisation that he's got NO evidence at all on the crimes this guy has SAID he'd committed, and Fisho had to walk away.

If you think an offhand comment in a PM is going to be enough evidence alone for anyone to put you in front of a judge, then you must have some interesting friends!

My 2 cents...
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Dec 2018, 10:32 am

Rod_outbak wrote:It's safe to assume that everything you write on the net, is likely accessible by people other than your intended recipients...

You get people whining on Facebook that other people are "stealing" their videos and photos, even on "private" forums and groups :-)
If you put _anything_ online that _anybody_ else can see, then it can, and likely will be copied, even from the cached copy after you delete it. Even direct email can be accessed by others.

If you don't want to share something with the world, don't share it online!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 10 Dec 2018, 1:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote:It's safe to assume that everything you write on the net, is likely accessible by people other than your intended recipients...

Spot on fellas ! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2018, 6:18 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Spot on fellas ! :thumbsup: :drinks:

welcome to the brave new world of big brother fellas ;) :sarcasm: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 13 Dec 2018, 4:57 am

Is it just me, or does the state forest post question seem a little odd ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 13 Dec 2018, 6:04 am

Its not just you.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Dec 2018, 7:09 am

Lol I thought that too. But notice the fb ppl of today as that question a lot. Eg

Please show us pictures of your rig for 4wd inf.

I just bought a gun xyz, show me your pictures
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws