Lithgow LA-101 torque settings for the scope rails

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Lithgow LA-101 torque settings for the scope rails

Post by Urastus » 09 Dec 2018, 11:40 am

Hello. Just about to pull apart my new rifle to check bedding, torque settings, and ensure thread locker is used. I can't find the torque settings for the little sections of weaver scope rails on top of the action. Does anyone know what these could be or a safe general guesstimate? Any other things to look for while I have it apart?
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Lithgow LA-101 torque settings for the scope rails

Post by Urastus » 09 Dec 2018, 11:56 am

Actually, something rang a bell in my noggin. I've actually recorded some generic settings from a youtube video yonks ago; 40-50 inch pounds. This sounds quite a bit. Some further research - this must have been for rings to rail. Most rail to action torque look around the 15lb mark. Rings to rail 25-65 (depending on manufacturer). I'm going with 15lb for the rail; it's only a .22.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2018, 12:32 pm

Urastus wrote:Actually, something rang a bell in my noggin. I've actually recorded some generic settings from a youtube video yonks ago; 40-50 inch pounds. This sounds quite a bit. Some further research - this must have been for rings to rail. Most rail to action torque look around the 15lb mark. Rings to rail 25-65 (depending on manufacturer). I'm going with 15lb for the rail; it's only a .22.

I wouldn't use thread lock on a .22LR. If they've already been loktited you may screw up the screws removing them.
Have you got an inch-pound torque wrench?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 09 Dec 2018, 12:44 pm

Have a smallish torque wrench - for mtb. If there's old thread locker on bolts, I'll hit them with the dremel wire brush :)
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2018, 12:53 pm

Urastus wrote:Have a smallish torque wrench - for mtb. If there's old thread locker on bolts, I'll hit them with the dremel wire brush :)

How would you get a wire brush to them while they're still torqued up in their holes?
I mentioned it as it may be worth making sure you have some replacement screws in case you destroy them getting them out.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 09 Dec 2018, 1:03 pm

Oh, I see. You mean I might strip them while removing them the first time? I haven't had that happen before (all non firearm related), but would be surprised. Thread locker tends to go brittle. And there's different thread locker strengths dependent on thread size. It sounds like you may have experienced stripped threads while trying to remove small bolts?
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2018, 1:35 pm

Just leave it all alone and shoot it first then if you think something is wrong then perhaps pull it apart but honestly just shoot it first.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2018, 3:02 pm

Urastus wrote:Oh, I see. You mean I might strip them while removing them the first time? I haven't had that happen before (all non firearm related), but would be surprised. Thread locker tends to go brittle. And there's different thread locker strengths dependent on thread size. It sounds like you may have experienced stripped threads while trying to remove small bolts?

I have experienced trying to remove Loktited screws, yes :-)
Firearms, motorcycles and other places.
Some thread locking compounds require heat to break them down, sometimes people will use that stuff instead of the less-permanent products.

You won't strip the threads, you are more likely to strip the head of the fastener. Just be aware of the risk and have replacement screws handy in case you need them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 09 Dec 2018, 3:03 pm

I like your thinking. It's just after seeing how to set up a scope, I'd hate the rail to come loose down the road. I might just do the rail then.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2018, 3:34 pm

Just put a dab of nail polish on the screws if u are worried about them coming loose - old school and works well.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 09 Dec 2018, 3:54 pm

:thumbsup: Ah BigFellaScott, Great minds think alike! 8-)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2018, 4:03 pm

RoginaJack wrote::thumbsup: Ah BigFellaScott, Great minds think alike! 8-)

It's a simple but effective way to keep the screws from coming loose. Most of the newbies wouldn't be aware of that little trick I wouldn't think.

I think people way over think this torquing down of stuff, I'm not surprised with all the crap that's out there on the Net, In my day we never had anything like that to worry about cos it wasn't part of our thinking, it was just do em up tight and a dab of nail polish on the screws and jobs done, now we need all sorts of gadgets and setting and techniques to get the same job done :crazy:

IMHO people need to learn to think for themselves and stop relying on all this internet dribble about how to do this that and every other thing. It's a Fking screw for f*** sake do the bastard up and jobs done! :lol:

To the OP I'm not having a go at you mate, I just see this sort of thing over and over again and I just shake my head as to why people get so caught up worrying about all this crap.

Clean ya bore and go shoot it mate and don't let all this do this do that crap get in ya head. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2018, 5:01 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
RoginaJack wrote::thumbsup: Ah BigFellaScott, Great minds think alike! 8-)

It's a simple but effective way to keep the screws from coming loose. Most of the newbies wouldn't be aware of that little trick I wouldn't think.

I think people way over think this torquing down of stuff, I'm not surprised with all the crap that's out there on the Net, In my day we never had anything like that to worry about cos it wasn't part of our thinking, it was just do em up tight and a dab of nail polish on the screws and jobs done, now we need all sorts of gadgets and setting and techniques to get the same job done :crazy:

IMHO people need to learn to think for themselves and stop relying on all this internet dribble about how to do this that and every other thing. It's a Fking screw for f*** sake do the bastard up and jobs done! :lol:

To the OP I'm not having a go at you mate, I just see this sort of thing over and over again and I just shake my head as to why people get so caught up worrying about all this crap.

Clean ya bore and go shoot it mate and don't let all this do this do that crap get in ya head. :drinks:

My inch-pound torque wrench was well over $100 and all I use it for is action screws, I would never torque scope mounting screws, or suggest anybody else do it. But until you have a feel for what is correct it might be worth trying it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 09 Dec 2018, 6:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestions all. I have nail polish in my mtb kit to touch up chips and scratches - it's good stuff :) My torque wrench is good too; I just used it on a new aluminium head stem for my girlfriends mtb.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Urastus » 09 Dec 2018, 6:14 pm

bigfellascott wrote:It's a simple but effective way to keep the screws from coming loose. Most of the newbies wouldn't be aware of that little trick I wouldn't think.

Well, I lost faith in my LGS and actually cancelled the order, because after 2 months they had no idea of the order, despite my calls previously (and a $400 deposit, and purchasing a safe from them). So, I bought a scope at one place, mounts at another, a scope sighting in tool thing, a couple of levels, and started looking around for someone else to do business with. Then the one person at the LGS who is switched on phoned me, told me my order is there (and has been for a while) and ready. So I'm set up to do it all myself. I have a handle on it I think. The scope for me is probably the most important part - I want to set it up properly and have confidence in it :) And hopefully I'll learn something in the process and gain some insight rather than just use it and think it's all magic :) Oh, and I've since decided I'll do my business with that one person there.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by allan » 09 Dec 2018, 6:30 pm

If your LA101 is brand new (and no one has fiddled with it), there won't be any thread locker on those 4 base retaining screws. If you have an accurate inch pounds wrench, 15 inch pounds MAX(with no nail polish or thread locker) will hold them securely. I've had these bases on and off these rifles many times - Never seen them work loose and I set them at 1.5NM (roughly 13 inch pounds.)
The factory recommendation for the action screws is 1.5NM also and I've not seen any reason to vary that setting on mine - One bedded - One factory.
The trigger retaining screw is another animal altogether - Done up VERY tight and bogged with putty. If you decide to change out pull weight springs etc., be very careful with that one as others have come to grief trying to remove it.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Urastus » 09 Dec 2018, 6:59 pm

allan wrote:If your LA101 is brand new (and no one has fiddled with it), there won't be any thread locker on those 4 base retaining screws. If you have an accurate inch pounds wrench, 15 inch pounds MAX(with no nail polish or thread locker) will hold them securely. I've had these bases on and off these rifles many times - Never seen them work loose and I set them at 1.5NM (roughly 13 inch pounds.)
The factory recommendation for the action screws is 1.5NM also and I've not seen any reason to vary that setting on mine - One bedded - One factory.
The trigger retaining screw is another animal altogether - Done up VERY tight and bogged with putty. If you decide to change out pull weight springs etc., be very careful with that one as others have come to grief trying to remove it.

Awesome - thanks Allan. That confirms what I've found. I'd like to pull the barrel off - I slid some paper under the barrel and it was tighter in front of the action. I'd like to see what's going on there. I'm leaving the trigger; I reckon it'll make me focus on technique and I still want to use it hunting if I get the opportunity. Hopefully, once I set up the scope I want to leave it be.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Dec 2018, 2:41 pm

"A scope sighting in tool?" What's that? I just stick a target on the wall,. remove bolt, check firearm is unloaded and bore sight it. Lever actions, just sight in along the barrel, near enough on target for me.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Dec 2018, 3:34 pm

RoginaJack wrote:"A scope sighting in tool?" What's that? I just stick a target on the wall,. remove bolt, check firearm is unloaded and bore sight it. Lever actions, just sight in along the barrel, near enough on target for me.

More crap ya don't need apparently :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 10 Dec 2018, 3:53 pm

I have biggest problem trying to get the rifle level to ground and then the crosshairs level with the ground (aka scope level with gun)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Dec 2018, 3:59 pm

Ziad wrote:I have biggest problem trying to get the rifle level to ground and then the crosshairs level with the ground (aka scope level with gun)

Usually you can find square surfaces under the scope turret and on top of the receiver, anything with parallel sides can be put in the gap and twisted so both edges are flat against the scope and the action to level the scope. Or you can use a rule against the elevation turret and plumb it against the side of the receiver.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles