Course is done, now for the fun part.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Course is done, now for the fun part.

Post by ClaytonT88 » 25 Nov 2018, 11:28 am

Hey guys,
Happily the wait is over and my course was yesterday. It was a well run thing and I learnt a lot of handy things from the two instructors who were really passionate about shooting and hunting which was really great.

Now for the fun part of going and getting a safe, bolting it in and then shopping for a rifle. Could be a slippery slope, good thing the tax return was decent this year.

If you're keen I'll keep you posted on how I progress and I'm all ears for any advice you've got for a shooter starting out.

I'm looking at getting a 6-8 gun safe as I can see myself ending up with a 22lr to start off with then a over under for some clay sessions, an air rifle to clean up the pigeons around work and a centre fire to help keep the feral cat and goat population down around the area.

Ive heard safes don't always fit the advertised number of firearms and it's best to ge a little bit bigger than you'll think you need.

Cheers!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Course is done, now for the fun part.

Post by JimTom » 25 Nov 2018, 11:52 am

Mate my advice is to buy a gun safe bigger than you think you will need.
For a start a six gun safe won’t hold six scoped rifles easily and you will probably end up buying more rifles than you plan to right now.
How do I know this you ask...;-)
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JakeN » 25 Nov 2018, 11:53 am

Well done!
Congrats

Safe capacity seems to be rated as how many single barrel shotguns no optics they can hold
Two thirds to half the stated number seems more accurate
JakeN
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 25 Nov 2018, 4:06 pm

Sort of like buying a two man tent
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 25 Nov 2018, 4:22 pm

If you can afford it get a 24 gun safe then think where you will add the next safe and so on dont ask how I know this
We all think 6 is heaps at first
a Clue to the safe is it does not say 6 rifle safe it says 6 GUN witch means 6 single barreled 410 shot guns
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by ClaytonT88 » 25 Nov 2018, 5:28 pm

Fair enough guys. Doesn't seem to be much price difference between 6, 8 or 12 so may as well just get a 12. Any recommendations on brands? Apparently theres a fella in Port Augusta (DR Kemp) that has a large range. Might have to give him a buzz during the week.
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by green_comet » 26 Nov 2018, 7:43 pm

I put a 2018 Spika S3 12 gun safe in my place a few months back, very happy with.
green_comet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Nov 2018, 10:53 am

Just be careful of some eBay safes - I have several safes now - because I’m a fool and didn’t know - but the little Fort Knox safe I have (eBay) wont close the door with a scoped rifle within - the door is 4 inches thick in some places and the depth of the entire safe is only 10 inches. Sure - I can put a scoped gun sideways but then it’s full!!!
It now holds the Shots exclusively.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by ClaytonT88 » 27 Nov 2018, 11:00 am

Yeah definitely looking at a 12 gun or thereabouts now. There's a fella in Port Augusta with a good selection so I'll pop up for a look over the next couple of weeks.
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by simpsonhey » 09 Dec 2018, 4:54 pm

Mate get a hmr17
simpsonhey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ClaytonT88 » 09 Dec 2018, 5:30 pm

The cost of ammo and strict cleaning regime has scared me off a 17HMR as a first rifle. I want something I can plink with and shoot rabbits and pigeons within 100m or so. When I'm a competent shooter I'll step up to something with a bit more punch. Ive shot a t3x hunter in 22-250 and that was a very nice rig so I'm thinking a t1x in a t3x hunter stock would be a great trainer.
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 09 Dec 2018, 6:30 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:The cost of ammo and strict cleaning regime has scared me off a 17HMR as a first rifle. I want something I can plink with and shoot rabbits and pigeons within 100m or so. When I'm a competent shooter I'll step up to something with a bit more punch. Ive shot a t3x hunter in 22-250 and that was a very nice rig so I'm thinking a t1x in a t3x hunter stock would be a great trainer.

from what you've posted, and my own personal experience , i would recommend a CZ 452 2E american in 22lr. very very accurate . for your goats and such with a bit of flexability, the great all-rounder 243 would be a great choice. i personally like 6.5x55 as a "mid level" caliber. take your time , and talk to a lot of folks about their experiences, before you rush out and buy anything. and don't hesitate to ask advice on this forum. lot of good knowledgable people on here :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ClaytonT88 » 09 Dec 2018, 6:38 pm

Thanks bigrich. I'll ask plenty of questions as they arise :D I'm lucky I work with a gunsmith who has been fettling bench rest rifles for the last 40 years who has given me some great tips. He thoroughly recommends a CZ 452 as well and there's a couple around 2nd hand that could be worth looking at.
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 09 Dec 2018, 8:37 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:Thanks bigrich. I'll ask plenty of questions as they arise :D I'm lucky I work with a gunsmith who has been fettling bench rest rifles for the last 40 years who has given me some great tips. He thoroughly recommends a CZ 452 as well and there's a couple around 2nd hand that could be worth looking at.

the american 4522E is a bit of a crossover, hybrid between the 455 . as a standard rifle they are a very good thing. i had a 4522E 'supermatch' bedded, 12 groove barrel,with all the bells and whistes, a 1960 krico , and a weihrauch hw66. the CZ american is the best off the lot. 6.5's can handle most australian game, unless your after sambar or live in the top end. i've found my model 70 winchester in 6.5x55 will just about shoot one hole at 100 with 120 noslers going at 2950 FPS with reloader 22. enough for goats and red deer . i have a 308 synthetic/stainless in 308 that's gunna be my all weather pig rifle. i've got a itch for a model 92 win in 44 mag but..... :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ClaytonT88 » 09 Dec 2018, 9:55 pm

Haha. Nice to hear about your experience with the 2e. I've heard theyre not as solid as the Brnos etc but I'll make a point to shoulder a few. I've had an offer of a range day with the gunsmith to sample a few of his and his friends rifles to see what I like so that might be the go and see what I like from that.
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 09 Dec 2018, 10:13 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:Haha. Nice to hear about your experience with the 2e. I've heard theyre not as solid as the Brnos etc but I'll make a point to shoulder a few. I've had an offer of a range day with the gunsmith to sample a few of his and his friends rifles to see what I like so that might be the go and see what I like from that.

Sounds like youre going to have a LOT of fun...!! :clap:

Who do you work with Clayton...? :unknown:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2018, 8:15 am

ClaytonT88 wrote:Haha. Nice to hear about your experience with the 2e. I've heard theyre not as solid as the Brnos etc but I'll make a point to shoulder a few. I've had an offer of a range day with the gunsmith to sample a few of his and his friends rifles to see what I like so that might be the go and see what I like from that.

that's a great way to work out where your going with choice. 260 rem or "6.5 man bun" are also good choices for a middle of the road caliber :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ClaytonT88 » 10 Dec 2018, 11:58 am

Pm sent Stix.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it but finding a spare day heading into silly season and a 3 week trip to Spain for a holiday is like pulling hens teeth at the moment.
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by ClaytonT88 » 27 Jan 2019, 3:24 pm

Hi all, well I finally got my paperwork to go in and pay for the licence and I'm back from Spain and settling back into work so now I guess the wait is on to get my photo licence and go put some money down, hopefully in the next fortnight I'll get out to a range and learn some bits and pieces from the bloke at work and see what I like.

I hope everyone had a great Xmas/New Year and got plenty of shots down range!
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles