Firing 190grain from a Tikka T3 Lite 300WSM

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Firing 190grain from a Tikka T3 Lite 300WSM

Post by lukeass » 10 Dec 2018, 8:28 am

Hi Guys,
just wondering if its going to be OK firing 190grain boat tails from a Tikka T3 Lite 300wsm? just worried about pressure. Have put one through it and it didn't seem to bad at all apart from a lot of soot on the neck right to the start of the shoulder. my first guess is that i am using too lighter loads and its not getting enough pressure to make a gas seal (btw i'm using medium loads @58grains of RL17 powder). The shells don't expand even as much as 180grain Federal factory loads (i'm reusing their cases) when i measure the head of the shells with a vernier. Also am i able to put 220grain loads in this gun or is that not recommended from this rifle?
appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.
cheers,
Luke
lukeass
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Firing 190grain from a Tikka T3 Lite 300WSM

Post by bladeracer » 10 Dec 2018, 10:26 am

lukeass wrote:Hi Guys,
just wondering if its going to be OK firing 190grain boat tails from a Tikka T3 Lite 300wsm? just worried about pressure. Have put one through it and it didn't seem to bad at all apart from a lot of soot on the neck right to the start of the shoulder. my first guess is that i am using too lighter loads and its not getting enough pressure to make a gas seal (btw i'm using medium loads @58grains of RL17 powder). The shells don't expand even as much as 180grain Federal factory loads (i'm reusing their cases) when i measure the head of the shells with a vernier. Also am i able to put 220grain loads in this gun or is that not recommended from this rifle?
appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.
cheers,
Luke

Heavier bullets are launched at lower velocity so the pressures are the same.
Whether you can run 220gn bullets will depend on your twist-rate and the bullet length.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 10 Dec 2018, 10:33 am

Mate the powder manufacturer publish load data to ensure safe pressures and use of their product with different projectiles. I don’t stray outside those published values.
As Bladeracer said, twist rate will dictate the stability of the projectile according to bullet length, not necessarily the weight.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by lukeass » 10 Dec 2018, 10:36 am

yes ok i figured that was probably the case. its a 1:10" twist out a 4 groove 24 1/8" barrel. The barrel its tested from is a 26" but same groove and twist rate. May try the 220s sometime. just have to make sure that its not gonna sit in the landings when chambering a projectile that long. Thanks for the feedback.
lukeass
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Dec 2018, 10:39 am

lukeass wrote:The shells don't expand even as much as 180grain Federal factory loads (i'm reusing their cases) when i measure the head of the shells with a vernier.

I missed this bit. If you have already fired the factory round the case will have blown out to fit the chamber. If you then reload it and shoot it again it's unlikely to stretch any further than it did the first time.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by lukeass » 10 Dec 2018, 10:39 am

JimTom wrote:Mate the powder manufacturer publish load data to ensure safe pressures and use of their product with different projectiles. I don’t stray outside those published values.
As Bladeracer said, twist rate will dictate the stability of the projectile according to bullet length, not necessarily the weight.

yes these are reloads in the Nosler reloading guide. just wanted to make sure my rifle would handle it but Bladeracer did confirm what i thought.
cheers.
lukeass
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by lukeass » 10 Dec 2018, 10:41 am

bladeracer wrote:
lukeass wrote:The shells don't expand even as much as 180grain Federal factory loads (i'm reusing their cases) when i measure the head of the shells with a vernier.

I missed this bit. If you have already fired the factory round the case will have blown out to fit the chamber. If you then reload it and shoot it again it's unlikely to stretch any further than it did the first time.

sweet thats what i wanted to know. thanks
lukeass
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Dec 2018, 10:43 am

lukeass wrote:yes ok i figured that was probably the case. its a 1:10" twist out a 4 groove 24 1/8" barrel. The barrel its tested from is a 26" but same groove and twist rate. May try the 220s sometime. just have to make sure that its not gonna sit in the landings when chambering a projectile that long. Thanks for the feedback.

Always worth experimenting, I have some 225gn ELDM's and 240gn HPBT bullets to try in my 1903-A3, but I have no idea if they'll stabilise.
Which 220gn bullet are you looking at trying? A blunt SP is more likely to stabilise than a pointed BT or VLD.

The bullet can jam into the rifling if you prefer it to, but you probably won't be able to extract it without a cleaning rod down the bore. It also is unlikely to fit your magazine at such a length.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by lukeass » 10 Dec 2018, 10:53 am

bladeracer wrote:
lukeass wrote:yes ok i figured that was probably the case. its a 1:10" twist out a 4 groove 24 1/8" barrel. The barrel its tested from is a 26" but same groove and twist rate. May try the 220s sometime. just have to make sure that its not gonna sit in the landings when chambering a projectile that long. Thanks for the feedback.

Always worth experimenting, I have some 225gn ELDM's and 240gn HPBT bullets to try in my 1903-A3, but I have no idea if they'll stabilise.
Which 220gn bullet are you looking at trying? A blunt SP is more likely to stabilise than a pointed BT or VLD.

The bullet can jam into the rifling if you prefer it to, but you probably won't be able to extract it without a cleaning rod down the bore. It also is unlikely to fit your magazine at such a length.

was thinking of using the Partition Semi-Spitzer 220. this is also blunt and not a boat tail but i was also thinking of the AccuBond lr 210grain which is boat tail but good for long range if it will stabilise. has a BC of 0.730 which is very reasonable and i still get 2707 fps out a medium load of RL17 powder which is not too bad at all.
lukeass
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by lukeass » 10 Dec 2018, 10:54 am

also as it is my 190grainers dont fit the mag- just. lol
lukeass
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Dec 2018, 11:08 am

lukeass wrote:was thinking of using the Partition Semi-Spitzer 220. this is also blunt and not a boat tail but i was also thinking of the AccuBond lr 210grain which is boat tail but good for long range if it will stabilise. has a BC of 0.730 which is very reasonable and i still get 2707 fps out a medium load of RL17 powder which is not too bad at all.

The Nosler 220gn Partition is 1.370" long.
The Accubond 210gn is 1.550" long.
If the 190gn you are using is the Custom Comp HPBT it's only 1.343" long.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/lengths/lengths.shtml#Nosler

The 220gn would likely work okay, the Accubond might not.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by lukeass » 10 Dec 2018, 11:27 am

bladeracer wrote:
lukeass wrote:was thinking of using the Partition Semi-Spitzer 220. this is also blunt and not a boat tail but i was also thinking of the AccuBond lr 210grain which is boat tail but good for long range if it will stabilise. has a BC of 0.730 which is very reasonable and i still get 2707 fps out a medium load of RL17 powder which is not too bad at all.

The Nosler 220gn Partition is 1.370" long.
The Accubond 210gn is 1.550" long.
If the 190gn you are using is the Custom Comp HPBT it's only 1.343" long.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/lengths/lengths.shtml#Nosler

The 220gn would likely work okay, the Accubond might not.

ok cool ill do some experimenting...worst comes to worst the accubond 210 grain wont stabilise. guess it comes down to trial and error
lukeass
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Dec 2018, 11:38 am

lukeass wrote:ok cool ill do some experimenting...worst comes to worst the accubond 210 grain wont stabilise. guess it comes down to trial and error

Projectile Warehouse do sample packs of most bullets if you just want to try them.
https://projectilewarehouse.com.au/collections/30/nosler
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by lukeass » 10 Dec 2018, 11:41 am

cheers thats awesome man!!
lukeass
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition