A/B category target shooting vs H

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

A/B category target shooting vs H

Post by GojiraSteve » 11 Dec 2018, 8:56 pm

Hey all,
Currently getting re-licenced after an 11year break from shooting sports. Back in the day I had A, B and H class on my licence with hunting and target genuine reasons.
In this incarnation I've (so far) only resurrected A, B class with only hunting as a "justification".
I'm based in Sydney with St Mary's being the only range that's really convenient to attend.
Now in the first iteration of my shooting life I joined the SSAA and St Mary's pistol club and the H cat requirements of 6 or 8 formal competition shoots a year depending on what was in the safe proved really easy to meet. St Mary's open late due to being indoor. Active club calendar meaning I could show up basically whenever I was free and there'd be a shoot on. But the A/B stuff was a chore every single year. It seems like SSAA membership while conferring a genuine reason for A/B target isn't really supported in the same way as the pistol club was. No way to find out what was on at what range and often not posted more than a month in advance which made scheduling available weekends a PIA. And to be honest not anywhere near the same volume as the pistol club. Like if you wanted to shoot smallbore silhouette then it was three times a year on whatever weekend you could get a fortnights notice of etc.
Obviously I was always going to be stuck shooting "away" matches given St Mary's is only 50m. By contrast I look at the NRAA website and the have a calendar with something listed basically every weekend (albeit nationwide) while looking at the SSAA site and there's literally nothing there.
I guess what I'm saying is, I'm thinking about adding a T to my now A/B licence but am I better of dropping SSAA and just looking for a dedicated target club operating out of Malabar/Silverdale (or perhaps NRAA)?
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: A/B category target shooting vs H

Post by brett1868 » 11 Dec 2018, 9:47 pm

First up, welcome aboard and I'll do my best to shed some light. Why didn't you tick the "Target" box when applying for your license? It's free at time of application but $75 to add separately later on. SSAA St Mary's can and do offer attendances for both Target & Hunting so you're covered on that front. As for rifle competitions then depending on what interests you there's several clubs, some are NRA sanctioned other SSAA but you should be able to compete as a visitor. There's an excellent complex at Hill Top with a very active military rifle club if that appeals. If you'll be shooting at St Mary's on a regular basis then keep the SSAA membership purely to save on range fees, there's no rules saying you can't be a member of more then 1 organisation.
I shoot at St Mary's as do several others on here, I'm also an RSO with the Pistol Club.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 11 Dec 2018, 10:14 pm

I shoot at St Mary,s also I Get what your saying about rifle comps I just shoot pistol , take a few rifles along and get either a complementary target or hunting attendance at the same time so my attendances are well and truly covered.
When you handed in your form at the counter they should have explained all that too you??
Malabar/Silverdale both you can shoot at with ssaa and all attendances are added to your membership tally for the year.
as Brett said you save few $ on range fee and anything you buy at the shop 10% off if you buy a lot of ammo it adds up quick
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 11 Dec 2018, 10:55 pm

Cheers boys,
To clarify. This time around I've gone with hunting as the genuine reason backed by my r-licence (no mandatory attendances). My r-licence is supported by my Australian Bowhunters Association membership (its an AHO so I can still be r-licence accredited for firearms #loophole). I decided to leave target off my licence this time around since it turned out to be more of an inconvenience than a benefit last time (H cat excluded). The thing is I also compete in target archery requiring Archery Australia membership. So with that and ABA I'm in for about $300 in club subscriptions a year as it is. All of which limit the number of weekends I could devote to a new sport. So the way I'm thinking, if I'd be stuck just turning up to the range to knock out my required attendances like last time rather than having the ability to jump in every third (or fourth, or second depending on y'know, life) Saturday and actually being able to compete and be part of a community then it probably doesn't make sense to throw another $100 at another membership.
Truth be told I'll probably pick cat H back up some time in the future but I honestly thought I was missing something last time and that A/B target would be way more accessible than it seems to be.
(for the record I'm not just a "what's in it for me" guy. I'm more than happy to roll my sleeves up for working bees and fund raisers and what not).
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges