International relocation

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

International relocation

Post by Coyotezapper » 04 Dec 2018, 10:38 am

Ok, the boss lady has decided that she wants to move back to Australia. Currently we are in the U.S and I’m wanting to get a head start on how I get my guns into Australia. I know that the AR’s, AK’s, pistols and semiautomatic shotguns will have to be sold here. Will I need to apply for a firearms license from here or do I do the application when we get there?
I haven’t done ANY leg work about this topic yet, so calibers are going to be an issue too I imagine.
Coyotezapper
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: International relocation

Post by zhuk » 05 Dec 2018, 6:07 am

So you'll be moving back to QLD? If so the laws aren't quite as stupid as NSW, WA etc. But I'd imagine that you'd have to be resident with a local address before applying. Importation will be costly and lengthy through a registered importer...going through Customs longarms will be held and subject to passing the 'drop test' before being released to the dealer (and so I believe firearms are required to have a red dot marking the safety before entering the country; an importer of milsurps told me once). So that would have to be arranged before shipping.

As for calibres, for general target shooting (unless handgun metallic silhouette), nothing over .38 for handguns you will be fine. Longarms, depends on the State really. WA are having issues with large calibre rifles atm and NSW has no ranges which will accommodate .50 cal. You will have to be a member of a pistol club for 6 months before being allowed to acquire (ONE) handgun anyway so I don't know how that would work out re importation, unless a dealer would be prepared to hold onto them that long.

If QLD, here's where to start at least https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... licensing/
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 05 Dec 2018, 9:39 am

Some other stuff here: - https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-export ... s/firearms
Lots of links within.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 05 Dec 2018, 11:02 am

How many guns are you talking about and what types of bolt, leavers and pumps are ok pistols will be tricky till you have all you paper work and safe storage sorted
if its 1 or 2 guns you might try InternationalVisitorsPermit
then just decide to stay
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by wooosaah » 05 Dec 2018, 1:19 pm

Depending on what you have it might be easier/cheaper to sell everything and buy again when your here permanently if your already selling the banned stuff
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 05 Dec 2018, 2:02 pm

You’ll need to do a safety course before you submit your application so won’t be able to commence that before you move back.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 3:02 pm

Coyotezapper wrote:Ok, the boss lady has decided that she wants to move back to Australia. Currently we are in the U.S and I’m wanting to get a head start on how I get my guns into Australia. I know that the AR’s, AK’s, pistols and semiautomatic shotguns will have to be sold here. Will I need to apply for a firearms license from here or do I do the application when we get there?
I haven’t done ANY leg work about this topic yet, so calibers are going to be an issue too I imagine.

Unless you have some really nice firearms you want to hang onto I would think it'd be easier, quicker and cheaper to sell them there and buy new ones here.

The laws may be different if you're importing firearms you already own, but I looked at importing rifles from the US this year - it adds about $2000 to the cost of the firearm. If you already own them you can probably side-step some of the fees, but it's still likely to be expensive.

As already stated, I think you will need to be resident in the state before you can make the application.

Caliber isn't a major problem, I think anything up to .50BMG is still legal here. The actions, and potentially the "appearance" are likely a bigger problem. Anything qualifying as CatA/B is very easy - bolts, levers, pump rifles (not shotguns) and some assisted-release "semi-auto clones". Even semi-auto rimfires are CatC, so basically you need to be earning your living shooting animals.

Handguns are hampered by the very long probationary period - generally around nine-months - but once you have CatH it's easy. We still have ten-round semi-auto limits, and barrel length minumums (120mm?), and some competitions, like IPSC, are restricted to .357". If you're shooting Metallic Silhouette or Cowboy Action you can own up to .45-caliber. And of course, handguns can _only_ be used on approved handgun ranges, nowhere else.

Also, Qld is private property hunting only, so you will need somewhere to use them unless you're happy to only shoot on approved ranges. I'd expect a lot of Qlder's travel down to NSW to hunt public lands on an R-Licence, so you may want to consider that. NSW laws are ludicrous, so many firearms that are legal in Qld or Victoria cannot be transported through NSW.
Last edited by bladeracer on 05 Dec 2018, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 05 Dec 2018, 3:25 pm

Not saying ya have one but good luck getting a 50 bmg approved in qld (not banned but ya just can't have'em). As others have said sell what ya have and start from scratch. I have not seen you say ypur coming to qld but in all honesty its not easy and I think it was brett1861 around here who was told bring a lap, cheytac or bmg into qld and you'll end up having a holiday qt the Greystone hotel.
:thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Coyotezapper » 05 Dec 2018, 3:49 pm

Well s**t!! I read on another post somewhere that if it looks “scary” or looks “military” I’m going to have a rough time getting them approved. The bolt guns are all chassis guns ranging from .17 fireball up to .408 cheytac.
I’m struggling to understand the “scary” element, I mean a Halloween mask looks scary, as for the “military” look, I have no clue wtf that is all about. Military weapons range in visual appearances so that lost me right out of the gate.
What about all of my reloading gear? Dies, presses, trimmers etc. I have quite a lot of money tied up in that, surely that can’t be regulated out the ass.
Coyotezapper
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 05 Dec 2018, 3:56 pm

Coyotezapper wrote:Well s**t!! I read on another post somewhere that if it looks “scary” or looks “military” I’m going to have a rough time getting them approved. The bolt guns are all chassis guns ranging from .17 fireball up to .408 cheytac.
I’m struggling to understand the “scary” element, I mean a Halloween mask looks scary, as for the “military” look, I have no clue wtf that is all about. Military weapons range in visual appearances so that lost me right out of the gate.
What about all of my reloading gear? Dies, presses, trimmers etc. I have quite a lot of money tied up in that, surely that can’t be regulated out the ass.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mate I'm still not sure where ya planning on going but contact the weapon license branch in the state ya looking ti move to (I hope its not WA :lol: ) and see what they say. Be prepared for a nasty shock. :shock: :crazy: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Coyotezapper » 05 Dec 2018, 4:00 pm

What’s the deal with wa?
Coyotezapper
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 4:10 pm

Coyotezapper wrote:Well s**t!! I read on another post somewhere that if it looks “scary” or looks “military” I’m going to have a rough time getting them approved. The bolt guns are all chassis guns ranging from .17 fireball up to .408 cheytac.

In Vic the chassis are fine, even with folding stocks.
Reloading gear is not regulated at all, components are.
WA considers brass and bullets to be ammunition and requires a licence to possess them (for the specific cartridge) and secure storage. Other states only restrict powder and primers. To bring any components into Oz you will require import permits.
Attachments
20181015_155012bb.jpg
20181015_155012bb.jpg (333.33 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 4:13 pm

Coyotezapper wrote:What’s the deal with wa?

WA hates firearms, pretty simple really.
Private property hunting/shooting again.
They have military appearance laws, and have recently started clamping down on "very powerful firearms", their description, despite having no law backing them in this.
WA does not recognise other states' registration, to visit WA you need temporary permits to register your firearms while you are there.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 4:16 pm

Daddybang wrote:I have not seen you say ypur coming to qld...

Good point DB, I was just going off the "Queensland" in his profile.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 05 Dec 2018, 4:16 pm

bladeracer wrote:

In Vic the chassis are fine, even with folding stocks.
Reloading gear is not regulated at all, components are.
WA considers brass and bullets to be ammunition and requires a licence to possess them (for the specific cartridge) and secure storage. Other states only restrict powder and primers. To bring any components into Oz you will require import permits.

What Blade said and WA is retarded!!!!
seriously though mate contact the weapons license mob in whichever state ya thinking about moving to and get your facts from them as they police it and some of the absolute bs we put up with you won't believe if we tried to tell ya!!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 05 Dec 2018, 4:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:I have not seen you say ypur coming to qld...

Good point DB, I was just going off the "Queensland" in his profile.

No worries BR I didn't read his profile so probably was a little premature. Anyway ya gave the op good advice! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 4:24 pm

Oh, if you're used to using brass catchers in the US, they're illegal in NSW :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Coyotezapper » 05 Dec 2018, 4:26 pm

Holy s**t balls!! Talk about extremes!! What a load of nonsense.
I have an ar in my truck, I carry a 9mil or 45 on me and I can buy ammo at Walmart or at a hardware store for crying out loud.
But I need a permit to buy primers and then store them in a safe?.......wow
Coyotezapper
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Coyotezapper » 05 Dec 2018, 4:29 pm

Yeah, Queensland is where she wants to go to.
Coyotezapper
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 05 Dec 2018, 4:31 pm

bladeracer wrote:Oh, if you're used to using brass catchers in the US, they're illegal in NSW :-)

Thid poor bugger is probably sitting in his gun room crying his eyes out right now!!!
Sorry coyote but yeah our firearms laws are really f@#ked compared to what you're probably used to. Any chance you can convince the missus to stay put???
:lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 4:40 pm

Coyotezapper wrote:Holy s**t balls!! Talk about extremes!! What a load of nonsense.
I have an ar in my truck, I carry a 9mil or 45 on me and I can buy ammo at Walmart or at a hardware store for crying out loud.
But I need a permit to buy primers and then store them in a safe?.......wow

Yep, imagine California...except we can still own guns here :-)

You have to have legitimate reason to have a firearm or ammunition in your vehicle, en-route to or from the gunshop, range, hunting, etc. Each state has their own laws for securing your firearms and ammo in a vehicle. In Victoria, the firearm just needs to be unloaded and concealed from view, with ammo locked in a box separately.

Although the Police insist we keep ammunition and components secured, ammunition, powders and primers are covered by Worksafe, so Police have no authority to inspect your ammunition storage. But they can, and will, charge you if they find unsecured ammunition in your home or vehicle, or on your person (in WA that includes empty brass and bullets).

Queensland is the only state I know of that gives Worksafe authority to enter private residences to inspect ammunition storage, but I believe they would only do so if they've had a complaint.

So, unless somebody makes a complaint to the authorities that "He's got bbbbbbullets in his house!", it's very unlikely your ammo storage would ever be a problem.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Coyotezapper » 05 Dec 2018, 4:41 pm

Can I upload a video here? Not to get off topic, but to show y’all what it’s like at a local store.
Coyotezapper
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 05 Dec 2018, 4:44 pm

No you can't because we'd hate ya if ya did !!!!
:friends: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 4:45 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Oh, if you're used to using brass catchers in the US, they're illegal in NSW :-)

Thid poor bugger is probably sitting in his gun room crying his eyes out right now!!!
Sorry coyote but yeah our firearms laws are really f@#ked compared to what you're probably used to. Any chance you can convince the missus to stay put???
:lol: :drinks:

Should we tell him about our self-defence laws :-)

Our laws allow us to use any reasonable means to defend ourselves, even a firearm, if the circumstances permit you to retrieve one from the safe, and find the ammo, all while in immediate fear for your life. But if you do use a legally-owned firearm, even an unloaded firearm, it will be a breach of your licence conditions to use it for a purpose outside of those listed on your licence - sport/hunting/collecting/etc - so you will be charged regardless.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 4:47 pm

Coyotezapper wrote:Can I upload a video here? Not to get off topic, but to show y’all what it’s like at a local store.

I think you can be assured that we all regularly drool over the situation you have over there :-)
But Youtube links are fine.

This situation is quite recent, pre-'96 we didn't have any of this crap.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 12 Dec 2018, 8:44 am

That's still 22 years of concerted govt demonisation, ably assisted by a rabidly anti media.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Queensland gun laws