Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Dec 2018, 4:41 pm

Hi all,

Anyone used the Woodleigh Bullets 30 Caliber 130 Grain Weldcore Protected Point Soft Nose for deer sized game? Just thinking it might be a but much for fallow etc. Do they expand well? I know the South Africans are fans but they are usually big game hunting with them for much larger calibers.

Lgs has a good deal on them.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Dec 2018, 5:40 pm

I'm inclined to think 130gr for smaller deer like fallow down to say dogs is a better choice than say 180gr. (just developed a 130gr load for a 3006)

Having said that I was surprised to see a huge exit wound when I shot a fox with a Hornady lockcore 180gr a few months back. Sooo maybe we worry too much.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Dec 2018, 6:13 pm

This is true. I reckon we over think things. I too think 180gr is a little heavy for the smaller deer species. I figure the 130gr Woodleigh protected soft point will work well on fallow etc.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 11 Dec 2018, 6:20 pm

I have had pencilling from woodleighs on thin skinned game (goats) and think they may not expand but fallow are easy to put down so they will probably be ok
try them they are a very good projectile
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Dec 2018, 7:19 pm

For the price they are going for I think I'll grab some and give them a go. If they don't work out, I can save them for a rainy day.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Dec 2018, 8:07 pm

130gn Speer HP's.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 11 Dec 2018, 8:07 pm

I think they would work very well myself
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Dec 2018, 8:32 pm

Speer 130gr HP? Are you a fan?
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Dec 2018, 5:51 am

Cal-ApeR wrote:Speer 130gr HP? Are you a fan?

Yeah I use em on pigs to great effect, bang flop every time. :thumbsup: Fallow aren't solid animals (more like goats with long legs) :D so you really don't need a heavy solidly constructed pill to roll em. The ol 204 puts em on the ground no worries at all (head shots) so a 130gn proj will flatten em no worries. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 12 Dec 2018, 6:11 am

bigfellascott wrote:

Yeah I use em on pigs to great effect, bang flop every time. :thumbsup: Fallow aren't solid animals (more like goats with long legs) :D so you really don't need a heavy solidly constructed pill to roll em. The ol 204 puts em on the ground no worries at all (head shots) so a 130gn proj will flatten em no worries. :drinks:

I beg to differ. A mature fallow buck is a way different creature to any sort of goat. Still, 130gn HP's would be fine
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Dec 2018, 10:29 am

Cheers Gents. I'll grab myself some and see how I go. I've seen people take them with 100gr sp in their 243s so I guess a 130gr HP in 30cal should fit the bill. I'm always sceptical with HPs on larger animals. I have always feared hitting a large boar and not getting enough penetration. As such, always stuck with the Soft points.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Dec 2018, 12:14 pm

As a guide in Vic the minimum for Fallow was:
243. 80 grains
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Dec 2018, 6:51 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Cheers Gents. I'll grab myself some and see how I go. I've seen people take them with 100gr sp in their 243s so I guess a 130gr HP in 30cal should fit the bill. I'm always sceptical with HPs on larger animals. I have always feared hitting a large boar and not getting enough penetration. As such, always stuck with the Soft points.

They are only thin skinned lightly boned type animal mate, penetration won't be an issue and the HP's will anchor it fine if you shoot it in the right spot. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 12 Dec 2018, 7:43 pm

bigfellascott wrote:130gn Speer HP's.

this ^^^^^^^^ but be careful with shot placement ,, they blow the freak out of the insides of goats and on the rare times they go through they take the insides out with them :violin: :violin: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Dec 2018, 3:31 pm

tom604 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:130gn Speer HP's.

this ^^^^^^^^ but be careful with shot placement ,, they blow the freak out of the insides of goats and on the rare times they go through they take the insides out with them :violin: :violin: :thumbsup:

Yeah not sure I'd bother hunting goats deliberately with a 30cal, if I did I'd try for a head/neck shot to conserve as much edible meat as possible. I use to shoot em with a 22 as a kid, worked well if the shot placement was good (head) if it wasn't it would take a few extras to sort em out. In the end I got a 222 and that sorted em out fine (with decent shot placement) and it wasn't too hard on em meat damage wise. :drinks:

I think the problem with a lot of people is they use cannons and the wrong projectile choice to kill things with. They all seem to think bigger/heavier is better when in reality it's more about good shot placement more so than big cal/heavy projectile etc, yes there are times when they can come in handy but most things can be shot with smaller cals etc if one knows how to shoot right I find. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 13 Dec 2018, 4:26 pm

Totally agree but im not allowed to use my 223 (set calibers for critters) and the 308 is what i have,only take the legs :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2018, 5:16 pm

In reality 110gr should be plenty, it you rifle will shoot them OK.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 13 Dec 2018, 5:25 pm

When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 13 Dec 2018, 5:47 pm

yeah 110 gr would be fine,,i know a few guys that use them but i like the 130s :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 13 Dec 2018, 6:22 pm

Yeah I thought 130 was a nice weight for fallow. I agree I know they are light framed just wasn't sure on the HP construction. I picked up a box of Speer today so we will see. Also grabbed some 130gr Woodleigh sp. I'll see what groups best and go with it.

Im thinking I would be safer with regards to meat preservation by using the SP but we will see.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Dec 2018, 9:25 pm

tom604 wrote:Totally agree but im not allowed to use my 223 (set calibers for critters) and the 308 is what i have,only take the legs :thumbsup:

Really a 223 isn't good enough in SA? :crazy: Must be armour plated ones down there :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Dec 2018, 9:30 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Yeah I thought 130 was a nice weight for fallow. I agree I know they are light framed just wasn't sure on the HP construction. I picked up a box of Speer today so we will see. Also grabbed some 130gr Woodleigh sp. I'll see what groups best and go with it.

Im thinking I would be safer with regards to meat preservation by using the SP but we will see.

See how it all goes mate, trust me the SP type projies do plenty of damage, really depends on the wall thickness of the copper as to how rapidly they expand etc re penetration and damage can also very on what bone is hit on the way in as well, plenty of variables but still plenty of good meat with backstraps and rear wheels so don't get over worried about it all, I like shooting things in the base of the neck where it meets the shoulder, they just drop as a rule.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 14 Dec 2018, 12:12 am

bigfellascott wrote:
tom604 wrote:Totally agree but im not allowed to use my 223 (set calibers for critters) and the 308 is what i have,only take the legs :thumbsup:

Really a 223 isn't good enough in SA? :crazy: Must be armour plated ones down there :D

"not allowed" as in a cull situation ,,,everything is stronger in South Aus :allegedly: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 14 Dec 2018, 12:52 am

I have found them a bit soft on piggies at closer ranges as they expand rather quickly, as you would expect.
Put a bit of distance between you and the target and they are pretty good.
Fairly cheap at present also. Reckon I saw them advertised for $29/100 recently.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 4:42 am

tom604 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

"not allowed" as in a cull situation ,,,everything is stronger in South Aus :allegedly: :thumbsup:

What's their reasoning behind that? :?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 4:44 am

JimTom wrote:

I have found them a bit soft on piggies at closer ranges as they expand rather quickly, as you would expect.
Fairly cheap at present also. Reckon I saw them advertised for $29/100 recently.

Did they not ancher em? All the ones I've shot with it have just been instant bang flops using em. :unknown: I don't get many exits but the insides are just pulped like nothing else. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 14 Dec 2018, 4:53 am

From my experiences I wouldn't use a 223 either. Every one I've shot with a 223 has run off to die,one was hit multiple times in the chest ( granted,bad bullets ). None I've hit with a 308 have moved more than 10 paces and the one that went that far spent most of that time rolling downhill.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 14 Dec 2018, 6:36 am

bigfellascott wrote:
JimTom wrote:

Did they not ancher em? All the ones I've shot with it have just been instant bang flops using em. :unknown: I don't get many exits but the insides are just pulped like nothing else. :thumbsup:

I have never had one exit either mate, even at super close range. I have found them good at 100m or more. Like you said they do the job fine then.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 6:43 am

bigpete wrote:From my experiences I wouldn't use a 223 either. Every one I've shot with a 223 has run off to die,one was hit multiple times in the chest ( granted,bad bullets ). None I've hit with a 308 have moved more than 10 paces and the one that went that far spent most of that time rolling downhill.

What bullet were you using Pete? I've shot heaps of em with the 222 over the years with great success, mind you I like head shots or neck shots than chest shots (pretty much use that shot placement for everything I hunt) when the shots available. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 8:10 am

JimTom wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
JimTom wrote:

I have never had one exit either mate, even at super close range. I have found them good at 100m or more. Like you said they do the job fine then.

They go alright hey, bit like a hand grenade going off inside em. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey