Waterproof gore-tex riding pants not waterpoof

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Waterproof gore-tex riding pants not waterpoof

Post by Lorgar » 13 Dec 2018, 12:42 pm

So, I have these riding pants...

https://www.dainese.com/row/en/-travelg ... 14052.html

It says on the Dainese site (and every reseller site) in no uncertain terms that the pants are waterproof.

I rode in the rain today for the first time in them. Mine are definitely not waterproof.

Not talking about a pinhole leak anywhere either. Taking them off after the ride my boxers and thighs are damp top to bottom. I look/felt like I just took of a pair of wet regular jeans after falling in a pool.

I was riding with a rain jacket that covered over the waistline, nothing getting in there. The waistline was dry. Ankles were ok too, but I was wearing calf-high boots.

I had all the pockets zipped, the flaps closed. Decent downpour, but only riding for about 20 minutes.

Is there some "common knowledge" thing I'm missing? Was I supposed to prep my pants with something first?

Is the water wicking in in some strange way I'm not noticing?

I'm lost how something 'waterproof' leaves my legs with so much water on them.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Waterproof gore-tex riding pants not waterpoof

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2018, 3:34 pm

I have no idea as I've never owned any Gore-tex.
But the very best thing I have ever worn in pouring rain without getting wet _at all_ is a Dririder one-piece rain suit with the neck-to-knee zip. Very useful at retaining body heat too when it's not raining. Cheap, very compact, and dead easy to get in and out of in full leathers.

I've been wearing a pair of TAS canvas boots the last couple years, virtually all the time except when we have mud when I switch to the Otways. They were nicely waterproof but as they've worn they've become less so. Walking in knee-high wet grass is a good test of waterproofing, and these have started letting in dampness. But they are so damned comfortable I'm thinking I'll just order another couple pairs even if they only last a year or two. One downside is that they have a very soft sole, giving excellent feel, but zero staking protection, so probably not the best choice for serious off-road work.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Dec 2018, 4:18 pm

You may need to get some seam tape or seam sealer. If it IS GoreTex, it's probably a seam issue.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 13 Dec 2018, 6:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:But the very best thing I have ever worn in pouring rain without getting wet _at all_ is a Dririder one-piece rain suit with the neck-to-knee zip. Very useful at retaining body heat too when it's not raining. Cheap, very compact, and dead easy to get in and out of in full leathers.

I have the rain jacket covering the top half of me. Thinking pants will me the next step if I can't solve this pants confusion.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 13 Dec 2018, 6:45 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:You may need to get some seam tape or seam sealer. If it IS GoreTex, it's probably a seam issue.

A couple of materials...

Duratex fabric
Mugello fabric
QuickDry fabric

Says the website.

In any case, regardless of the material they're pitched as "waterproof" and all the reviews say the same.

I was wet hip to knee, side to side wearing them.

A little seepage, a pinhole leak or two, I'd get any of that. A bit confused though, I have to say, with an apparent total lack of waterproofness from them. :unknown:

Any recommendations for a sealer? Tape's not going to be any good to do the entire pant... A spray? What else is there?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 13 Dec 2018, 6:50 pm

With good quality gortex jackets in New Zealand I got wet on the inside from a lot of sweating
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Dec 2018, 7:12 pm

G'day Lorgar,
Mate if it's that bad, you're right, it would be unlikely to be a seam.

You may have to go for a warranty replacement.

Firstly, no clothing is "waterproof", only water resistant to varying degrees.

For instance, I wear a bronze diver's watch that is guaranteed to 1200ft, not waterproof, it's water resistant to 1200ft.

It's a little legal semantics to get around nuisance claims.

You mentioned you were riding a bike. That in itself may be part of the problem.
Water resistance is a function of pressure.
A watch that may be able to be worn in the shower or for swimming might leak when falling off water skis.
A set of wet weather gear that might keep you dry in a tropical downpour might leak like a bastard at 110kph.

I'd be making noise with the supplier.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 13 Dec 2018, 7:56 pm

I heard you regarding semantics, but I'm not punishing them and complaining that a drop got through.

I rode for 25 minutes, no wind, no faster than 50km at any point, in med-heavy rain. I'm sure we'd both agree that isn't asking much from a product which states:

• ...with adverse weather...
  • External fabric with water-resistance treatment
  • Waterproof: Yes

That last one is pretty unambiguous.

As for "riding a bike" as the potential cause, they're motorbike riding pants, made by a company that exclusively makes motorcycle gear. Not sure that excuse would fly :lol:

A call to the supplier probably wouldn't go astray though I guess :thumbsup:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Dec 2018, 8:13 pm

In that case mate I would be looking to poke it as far up the supplier as physically possible.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 14 Dec 2018, 8:32 pm

Hi Lorgar, I am a motorcyclist as well. I have ridden in wet weather a whole lot more than I would have preferred. I would say it Doesn’t really matter what the cause of the leak is. The simple fact is your pants are not waterproof and need to be either repaired to your satisfaction or replaced. Take them back to the bike shop and inform them they need to sort the problem out with the distributor. I bought a DriRider jacket several years ago that leaked in the arms. There was a bit of to and fro, but they replaced the jacket. In fact they upgraded it to a better one as they mucked around a bit before fully accepting the jacket was a dud. I suspect the distributor would expect a failure rate so I wouldn’t be surprised if they swapped it out without any argument.

These days I wear leathers and just wear DriRider a waterproof jacket and pants. They work ok. If you really want to treat yourself you could get Tiger Angel in Melbourne to make a custom set of goretex pants for you.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lifesaride » 15 Dec 2018, 8:39 am

They may not have been properly proofed at the factory.

Silly question maybe, but you didn’t give them a wash with regular detergent before the first use did you? Soap destroys the waterproofing agent. They should only be washed with non soap based products, like nikwax.

It would definitely be worth contacting the store or manufacturer. It may be as simple as them sending out out a wash in treatment. There should be detailed care instructions on their website. Good luck.
Cheers
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 15 Dec 2018, 12:02 pm

After 22 years working in a vineyard,I can safely say....NOTHING is waterproof
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 16 Dec 2018, 1:51 pm

Lifesaride wrote:They may not have been properly proofed at the factory.

Silly question maybe, but you didn’t give them a wash with regular detergent before the first use did you? Soap destroys the waterproofing agent. They should only be washed with non soap based products, like nikwax.

Nope. Bought new, not washed before wearing.

Since posting, I found my way to this stuff... https://www.kathmandu.com.au/grangers-p ... repel.html

Not sure yet... I did an application as instructed, but went riding when the pants where 95% dry and as fate would have it, it rained while I was out.

Immediately wet again, not sure if I not letting it dry that last bit upsets the whole process or if it just didn't work at all. They are 100% dry now as per instructions, I will see what happens this week if it rains.

Failing that, heading to shop next weekend to get them checked out/sorted out.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by PCHammond » 21 Dec 2018, 11:07 am

Take the pants back for warranty.

Goretex has no sealant and they are pretty good about warranty. That being said, I have never had any problems with Goretex products. I have a 10yr old US Army surplus "outer" jacket that I bought cheap that I use all the time and it's still going strong. I even use it while fishing on saltwater and then chuck it in the washing machine when I get home.
PCHammond
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Dec 2018, 1:15 pm

:mrgreen: As a motorcyclist if 25+ years - there is no such thing as water proof...only various level of repellent.
Take them back, get a refund then go buy a 1 piece rain “over” suit - will give 20-30mins dry time in reasonable rain and a lot longer in misty crap.

Water gets in everywhere...if you have you’re visor up, you’ll feel a small “pool” develop around your neck...then it will run down your neck and into your peanut bag, where it will annoy the *** out of you and slowly grow and grow and get freezing - yay for bikes!! Great fun!! :friends:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Lorgar » 31 Dec 2018, 1:01 pm

PCHammond wrote:I even use it while fishing on saltwater and then chuck it in the washing machine when I get home.

And do you need to reapply the sealant again after running it through the machine each time?

Or just sporadically as it wears out?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 31 Dec 2018, 1:09 pm

TassieTiger wrote::mrgreen: As a motorcyclist if 25+ years - there is no such thing as water proof...only various level of repellent.
Take them back, get a refund then go buy a 1 piece rain “over” suit - will give 20-30mins dry time in reasonable rain and a lot longer in misty crap.

In the end I've decided I can't be bothered going through all the warranty crap.

The pants are exactly what I want padding/protection/material wise, which I couldn't find in another pant, and other than the water issue are great. CBF with reapplying the coating and all that too to be honest.

So... I already had a rain over jacket, I've since just picked up some matching pullover rain pants ($50 for the pants, was $30 for the bottle of sealant... Should have just got the pants to start, oh well).

Have had one dash around in the rain with the addition of the rain pants, only half as heavy as the original example, but still saturating. After 20 minutes I was still perfectly dry from neck to toe. Rain pants it is :thumbsup:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 31 Dec 2018, 3:38 pm

Having worked outdoors in all weather for all bar 7 years of my working life I've developed a theory that I'm testing...
Regardless of what you wear, if you go outside in the rain you're gunna get wet!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by PCHammond » 31 Dec 2018, 8:55 pm

Lorgar wrote:
PCHammond wrote:I even use it while fishing on saltwater and then chuck it in the washing machine when I get home.

And do you need to reapply the sealant again after running it through the machine each time?

Or just sporadically as it wears out?

I have never reapplied anything. Never had any problem
PCHammond
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 02 Jan 2019, 9:58 am

Noisydad wrote:Having worked outdoors in all weather for all bar 7 years of my working life I've developed a theory that I'm testing...
Regardless of what you wear, if you go outside in the rain you're gunna get wet!

Whaaat? Where do you come up with this nonsense?! :lol:

PCHammond,

Thanks for the info, something to keep in mind for future gear.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Feb 2019, 9:50 am

Hey Lorgar,,,,,, This might sound silly, but it works. (especially where you live)
In my younger days, and living down thataway where it rains incessantly and gets freezing cold, I got sick of getting wet and freezin my *** off

Solution > Wear a Wet Suit

As long as gloves and neck wraps cover the obvious entry points, you stay dry and warm. :thumbsup: (sometimes too warm, and then ya sweat) :thumbsdown:

But hey,,,,,,,,,,,,,, this ain't a perfect world :drinks:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel