Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by bigpete » 14 Dec 2018, 10:02 am

50gn sierra soft points,the bad one was that s**t wolf ammo. I'll stick to using a bigger calibre.... :thumbsup:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 11:58 am

bigpete wrote:50gn sierra soft points,the bad one was that s**t wolf ammo. I'll stick to using a bigger calibre.... :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure mine were SP's and 50gn weight as well and more than likely Sierra or Nosler Solid Base, I reckoned the Nosler Solid Base were better, you heard a very distinctive difference between them both when they hit home. :D and things just dropped on the spot with them as a rule.

If it were me I'd be giving the Sierra Super Roos a run on the goats, they are 55gn and they really do kill very well. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 14 Dec 2018, 1:17 pm

No thanks,I'll leave varmint calibres to varmints
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 14 Dec 2018, 3:35 pm

I shot a couple fallow with 150g corelokts out of a 300wm and they had excellent expansion with suprisingly little meat damage, one was neck the other was texas heart.

Should note I use "premium" projectiles on sambar but figured with that much grunt I could get away with a "cheapie" and I learnt two things:
1) great peformance and accuracy for intended purpose
2) would never used them on sambar, they would probably just explode and even in a heavier weight I dont see them giving great penetration
Bigjobss

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 4:56 pm

Bigjobss wrote:I shot a couple fallow with 150g corelokts out of a 300wm and they had excellent expansion with suprisingly little meat damage, one was neck the other was texas heart.

Should note I use "premium" projectiles on sambar but figured with that much grunt I could get away with a "cheapie" and I learnt two things:
1) great peformance and accuracy for intended purpose
2) would never used them on sambar, they would probably just explode and even in a heavier weight I dont see them giving great penetration

Did they exit?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 14 Dec 2018, 5:30 pm

Partially, neck shot I recovered most minus some of the jacket which blew out the back with a small exit hole and the heart shot it clipped the rib on the way out and left some of the jacket behind.
Below is the neck shot projectile, front on shot so base of neck/top of shoulder, both deer and projectile were absolutely pancacked. Shot was at around 150m. Would not trust this on a big a animal through the shoulder.
20181214_182842.jpg
20181214_182842.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 3570 times
Bigjobss

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 6:59 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Partially, neck shot I recovered most minus some of the jacket which blew out the back with a small exit hole and the heart shot it clipped the rib on the way out and left some of the jacket behind.
Below is the neck shot projectile, front on shot so base of neck/top of shoulder, both deer and projectile were absolutely pancacked. Shot was at around 150m. Would not trust this on a big a animal through the shoulder.
20181214_182842.jpg

Noice, yeah I would find something with a bit more copper in the base for the more solidly boned stuff :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Dec 2018, 10:24 am

Hornady Interlock.jpg
Hornady Interlock.jpg (231.69 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 15 Dec 2018, 1:01 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
tom604 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
tom604 wrote:Totally agree but im not allowed to use my 223 (set calibers for critters) and the 308 is what i have,only take the legs :thumbsup:

Really a 223 isn't good enough in SA? :crazy: Must be armour plated ones down there :D

"not allowed" as in a cull situation ,,,everything is stronger in South Aus :allegedly: :thumbsup:

What's their reasoning behind that? :?

they like overkill?? :unknown: it could be that when your hitting a mob of goats a larger cal will anchor a goat if its not a killing shot,,243 using 100 gr projies is the min :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 15 Dec 2018, 1:03 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:Partially, neck shot I recovered most minus some of the jacket which blew out the back with a small exit hole and the heart shot it clipped the rib on the way out and left some of the jacket behind.
20181214_182842.jpg

Noice, yeah I would find something with a bit more copper in the base for the more solidly boned stuff :drinks:

Barnes TTSX have served that purpose alright for me so far, great penetration and I have never recovered a projectile but they do provide excellent wound channels. I often visit the debate of whether I prefer the energy to stay in the animal or lose some but create an exit hole and blood trail. At the moment I have settled on exit hole because the 300wm brings much more energy than is needed so a little loss cant hurt and I havent lost an animal with the TTSX (yet).

Only issue I had was a dog at 15m where I needed a second shot, which suprised the crap out of me, I reckon it was too close and too light of animal and the projectile went straight through with no expansion.
Bigjobss

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Dec 2018, 1:16 pm

tom604 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
tom604 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
tom604 wrote:Totally agree but im not allowed to use my 223 (set calibers for critters) and the 308 is what i have,only take the legs :thumbsup:

Really a 223 isn't good enough in SA? :crazy: Must be armour plated ones down there :D

"not allowed" as in a cull situation ,,,everything is stronger in South Aus :allegedly: :thumbsup:

What's their reasoning behind that? :?

they like overkill?? :unknown: it could be that when your hitting a mob of goats a larger cal will anchor a goat if its not a killing shot,,243 using 100 gr projies is the min :thumbsup:

Yeah I would say that's the reason, bombing a mob of goats isn't conducive to well placed shots so something that can reach the vitals from rear on would no doubt be more conducive to a better outcome as a rule. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Dec 2018, 1:17 pm

Bigjobss wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
20181214_182842.jpg

Barnes TTSX have served that purpose alright for me so far, great penetration and I have never recovered a projectile but they do provide excellent wound channels. I often visit the debate of whether I prefer the energy to stay in the animal or lose some but create an exit hole and blood trail. At the moment I have settled on exit hole because the 300wm brings much more energy than is needed so a little loss cant hurt and I havent lost an animal with the TTSX (yet).

Only issue I had was a dog at 15m where I needed a second shot, which suprised the crap out of me, I reckon it was too close and too light of animal and the projectile went straight through with no expansion.

Yeah plenty of over penetration going on at a dog at 15m :lol: it would have hardly had time to expand so not surprising you had to give it another one. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Dec 2018, 7:16 pm

I hit a fox with a 55 grain Vmax from a 22/250 at about 20 metres and it was devastating. No chance of that passing through but nothing left worth skinning.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cal-ApeR » 22 Dec 2018, 1:23 pm

Funny that. Seen a mate literally hit a fox at about 150m with 150gr sst. Bugger went down and got back up slowly. Hit him again. Went down, got back up.... Very slowly. Third shot finished him. No expansion going on there, good example of why there are differently constructed projectiles.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2018, 4:39 am

Cal-ApeR wrote:Funny that. Seen a mate literally hit a fox at about 150m with 150gr sst. Bugger went down and got back up slowly. Hit him again. Went down, got back up.... Very slowly. Third shot finished him. No expansion going on there, good example of why there are differently constructed projectiles.

Yep it's all about matching the hatch so to speak, choose the appropriate projectile type/construction etc to what it is you are wanting to kill, pretty simple really.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey