Spot lighting

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Spot lighting

Post by HereSkip » 20 Nov 2018, 7:06 pm

Righto gent's as i sit here deliberating over on what door set up im going to run for solo shooting missions I've come to the choice of spotlight.

I know what you're all thinking, "just buy a spotty and be done with it"

Well problem is Its not who what or how much it's what would be best for 150-200 meters and not scare off roo's etc

Are roo's skittish with too much light or just go for a big led and blind the barstard before shooting? whats the general consensus ?

TLDR LED or HID what's better for spotlighting :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"To achieve greatness you first must dream it." - Me, just then
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Spot lighting

Post by zobster » 20 Nov 2018, 8:27 pm

Personally I prefer old style halogen with a red filter.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 20 Nov 2018, 8:41 pm

zobster wrote:Personally I prefer old style halogen with a red filter.

+1 I find the good ol halogen much better
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 20 Nov 2018, 9:17 pm

+1 and a green filter :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 20 Nov 2018, 10:56 pm

I dont knock many roos, but i do often play with them sometimes while out flicking a light around.

My experience tells me they are less spooked by halogen.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 21 Nov 2018, 8:15 pm

Stix wrote:I dont knock many roos, but i do often play with them sometimes while out flicking a light around.

My experience tells me they are less spooked by halogen.

I agree :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Nov 2018, 8:21 pm

I've used quite a few different set ups and if I use the HID I just keep the roos in the very edge of the light until ready to shoot em but I do agree that the Halogen is better suited to them and bunnies for that matter, they just seem to be less disturbed by them.

Another option that might suit is one of the Javalots and run it on a lower power setting once you find em and pretty sure their hunting kit comes with red and green reflectors to. It just depends on how you want to work it all as to what will suit you better.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by zobster » 21 Nov 2018, 8:31 pm

marksman wrote:

+1 and a green filter :thumbsup: :drinks:

dumb question, i know, but what does the green filter do?
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 21 Nov 2018, 8:42 pm

the filters are to try and not spook the game
I use a red and green filter on my o-light javalot as well as my roof mounted power beam
the power beam has a red and green filter from a lightforce spot light on it
my set up is so the animal is at the edge of the light like bigfella :drinks:

a blue filter is for following a blood trail apparently
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Nov 2018, 8:47 pm

marksman wrote:the filters are to try and not spook the game
I us
e a red and green filter on my o-light javalot as well as my roof mounted power beam
the power beam has a red and green filter from a lightforce spot light on it
my set up is so the animal is at the edge of the light like bigfella :drinks:

a blue filter is for following a blood trail apparently

I never knew this about the blue filter, nice one.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Nov 2018, 8:51 pm

Some even put a hole the size of say a 20c piece in their filters which still throws good light and not so bright either, I really should try this on my HID to see if it makes much diff or not, mind you my HID doesn't seem as white in colour like others. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 21 Nov 2018, 9:02 pm

when I was pro shooting I set up in a different way from most in that I would drive around with a handheld and I had the standard narva vehicle spotlights set up pointing at 15 degrees off centre as that was the best angle for me out the drivers seat with a door rest.When I picked a roo to shoot I would flick high beam on and the spotlights would come on.I had the spreader on the bottom and the long beam on top.If the roo moved I could just drive and keep it in the beams you can tell when they are going to put the brakes on and I would wait till they stopped and crouched and do them in one smooth action.Roof mounted spotlights you need 2 people as I found they keep flopping around when you have to move.When its time to hit the hwy you just turn the spotties back to normal.I always crossed the beams as well.2 things happened when I had a roof mount after some time your arm starts to hurt and if you forget when you get to about 80 kms\hr the wind gets it and slams the handle forward
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 21 Nov 2018, 9:40 pm

In the Gascoyne they are red roos and I could get within 50 metres as it is remote and they may see a few station vehicles culling down south they are shot at a fair bit and its hard to get closer than about 150 metres If its raining they will stand around and if its cold the same you should be O.K.in Tassie.Enjoy the learning curve
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 23 Nov 2018, 12:55 pm

I just hit them with a lot of light. But I’m real fast about getting the rifle into position for the shot. I don’t stuff around I use a quad with 180 degree rests. The rifle is safely cradled but real accessible I want the projectile on it’s way before they start to start thinking about turning away and hopping off
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 23 Nov 2018, 11:29 pm

a slow count to 3 is all you get on western greys down south.when i drive others they need to be ready and get it done or i knock of early and its all over.A quad would be super cool
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 24 Nov 2018, 1:00 am

I use a quartz halogen Lightforce SL240 Blitz. In some places the Roos won’t let you get close and in others they will stand for a while. I am down in the far south of WA. They don’t tear off particularly quickly when the light hits them.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 24 Nov 2018, 1:17 am

you get some big boys down there
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by brinny » 14 Dec 2018, 8:07 pm

Get a thermal scope and no more light troubles..... :thumbsup:
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2018, 8:35 pm

brinny wrote:Get a thermal scope and no more light troubles..... :thumbsup:

to true, I was working the other night with a pro who uses thermal even for driving around, we stopped at 50 :thumbsup:
it's what we could fit in the trailer :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 14 Dec 2018, 8:36 pm

Bludy hell...Brinny's back...!!!

Dont talk to me about spotlights...last i was out in the paddock mine went out while on a fox...then it went out on bunny...then a cat...didnt get either of the cat of fox...!!

Took it back & they cant find a fault...told me to try it again like im a dik..."bring it back if it does it again"...im not real happy...& they wont be happy, cos if it does it again i want money back...i told them the problem & where it is & if they cant be bothered pulling it apart to look, then i cant be bothered with their gear...!!

Are you funding thermal purchases Brinny...? Cos i really am a special case...for funding... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 14 Dec 2018, 9:32 pm

Stix wrote:Bludy hell...Brinny's back...!!!

Dont talk to me about spotlights...last i was out in the paddock mine went out while on a fox...then it went out on bunny...then a cat...didnt get either of the cat of fox...!!

Took it back & they cant find a fault...told me to try it again like im a dik..."bring it back if it does it again"...im not real happy...& they wont be happy, cos if it does it again i want money back...i told them the problem & where it is & if they cant be bothered pulling it apart to look, then i cant be bothered with their gear...!!

Are you funding thermal purchases Brinny...? Cos i really am a special case...for funding... :lol:

Generally a tad quiet this time of year mate....Dont start getting back into the critters until April after the roar....I reckon then youse will be getting sick of me :shock: :shock:
Im a retired gent now so will have a lot more time out in the field from here on in.....
Rebarreling a Sako 85 in 17 Rem and have another XQ50 Trail thermal to fit on it when i get the rifle back....that will compliment the Sako 85 204 i mainly use...It has an XQ 50 Trail on it also....
Once you use thermal there is no going back to a spotlight....downside is of course ...Price...Tends to really throw a spanner in the works....
Im running a couple of XQ50 Trails now and have an XQ50 Helion monocular to fit up on the Polaris roof wifiing down to a tablet, so getting all teched up for the year to come....I also run an XQ50 Quantum as a hand held monocular to scan with....
Funding one for you mate you ask.....Only to happy too....as long as you can get it past the ministry for finance, should be sweet....
She told me in no uncertain terms that there is only one of two reasons she would leave me.....one is if i get back into earthmoving...the other is if i buy another thermal :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: I think she is loosing her sense of humour with me of late.... :lol: :lol:
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 14 Dec 2018, 10:58 pm

brinny wrote:

Generally a tad quiet this time of year mate....Dont start getting back into the critters until April after the roar....I reckon then youse will be getting sick of me :shock: :shock:
Im a retired gent now so will have a lot more time out in the field from here on in.....
Rebarreling a Sako 85 in 17 Rem and have another XQ50 Trail thermal to fit on it when i get the rifle back....that will compliment the Sako 85 204 i mainly use...It has an XQ 50 Trail on it also....
Once you use thermal there is no going back to a spotlight....downside is of course ...Price...Tends to really throw a spanner in the works....
Im running a couple of XQ50 Trails now and have an XQ50 Helion monocular to fit up on the Polaris roof wifiing down to a tablet, so getting all teched up for the year to come....I also run an XQ50 Quantum as a hand held monocular to scan with....
Funding one for you mate you ask.....Only to happy too....as long as you can get it past the ministry for finance, should be sweet....
She told me in no uncertain terms that there is only one of two reasons she would leave me.....one is if i get back into earthmoving...the other is if i buy another thermal :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: I think she is loosing her sense of humour with me of late.... :lol: :lol:

Well maybe when we hit the paddock together its wise that i dont meet her then Brinny...or my good looks, strong athletic build, tradie tuffness & general sexy aura will give her another reason to leave you mate... :lol: :lol: :lol: :allegedly:

Another thought...what about adoption...?...then surely you'd have to buy the new kid a new thermal to go out with Dad...?... :unknown: :clap:

All seriousness though...not many reds kicking around my usual haunt this year--think the neighbours did another round or 2 of poisoning so not sure ill have a great winter... :thumbsdown:

On the other hand, i have another 3 properties i dont get to that should be promising for foxes so ill have to head down towards Antarctica next year i think.

That 17 sounds a ripper Brinny... :thumbsup:
Im loving the 204, but starting to get annoyed with the Tikka--not being able to top feed a live ejected round is beginning to wear thin... :roll:

A 17 would be good fun on the foxes i rekon...make sure to keep us posted with it--im keen to see & hear how it all performs. :thumbsup:
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 15 Dec 2018, 8:12 am

BRINNY. I have a pretty good night vision scope with after market ir illumination but I’m seriously thinking of a thermal scope in the near future. I have been looking at the Xq 38 and the xq 50. what makes you prefer the xq 50 ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 15 Dec 2018, 9:53 am

Blr243 wrote:BRINNY. I have a pretty good night vision scope with after market ir illumination but I’m seriously thinking of a thermal scope in the near future. I have been looking at the Xq 38 and the xq 50. what makes you prefer the xq 50 ?

Hi mate....My original thermal was the Apex series, the XD75....it was a great scope....but ended up with a pretty serious problem that Pulsar couldnt fix....so they offered me a new scope as a replacement...
The Apex series was replaced by the new Trail series, so an XQ50 Trail was offered as a replacement....which i took.....
Had heaps of updates on it, and once i worked all the settings out after being so used to the Apex, i was VERY impressed with it....so much so i bought a second one....
Im in unfamilliar territory with the XQ 38 as i have not had anything to do with them, although i should imagine that they have less pixels and a narrower field of view....
I have a mate that has the XP50 trail and they are some 2k dearer than the XQ50, and to be honest....you dont get that much more benefit out of the scope for the extra 2k....
The XQ50 trail does all that i need from a thermal scope and i highly recomend them....
I have taken foxes out to 400m with it, but dont recomend that as they are not the same to use as a normal day scope and at that distance pinpoint accuracy is near impossible to acheive....
I find that around the 200m is ideal for them...
A few different blokes on other forums have often asked me about thermals and if they are within close proximity of me they can come out and take a look for themselves and see exactly what its like in the environment they were made for....There is nothing like first hand experience before you hand over all that hard earned moola before you go down that path....
Hope that helps mate.....Cheers...
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 15 Dec 2018, 10:11 am

Stix wrote:
brinny wrote:

Well maybe when we hit the paddock together its wise that i dont meet her then Brinny...or my good looks, strong athletic build, tradie tuffness & general sexy aura will give her another reason to leave you mate... :lol: :lol: :lol: :allegedly:

Another thought...what about adoption...?...then surely you'd have to buy the new kid a new thermal to go out with Dad...?... :unknown: :clap:

All seriousness though...not many reds kicking around my usual haunt this year--think the neighbours did another round or 2 of poisoning so not sure ill have a great winter... :thumbsdown:

On the other hand, i have another 3 properties i dont get to that should be promising for foxes so ill have to head down towards Antarctica next year i think.

That 17 sounds a ripper Brinny... :thumbsup:
Im loving the 204, but starting to get annoyed with the Tikka--not being able to top feed a live ejected round is beginning to wear thin... :roll:

A 17 would be good fun on the foxes i rekon...make sure to keep us posted with it--im keen to see & hear how it all performs. :thumbsup:
:drinks:

Ha ha ha....I think im pretty safe as my wife is used to the old and experienced....not the young would be if they could bes.... :sarcasm:
As far as adoption goes...i have a 10 year old here that being an only child and enjoys mom and dads full 100% attention that would get his nose right out of joint if i bought another kid intpo the fold....so in the interests of keeping the peace at home...ill pass thanks mate.... :drinks:

I find this time of year it always seems that the critters are dwindling off....but wait a few months and they appear in droves.....im seeing nothing out the back as well at the moment...just the odd one.....

Ill keep working on you to get a Sako, then you dont have any of those feed problems :friends:
I have always been a huge 17 fan....not often i dont have one in the safe....so looking forward to getting it back and putting it through its paces ready for next year....
Certainly keep you posted.... :thumbsup:
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 15 Dec 2018, 1:44 pm

Very. Useful info. On the thermal. Thank u very much.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Cal-ApeR » 27 Dec 2018, 9:00 pm

A late entry. Halogen for me. I find what they are eating makes a difference. If they are in paddocks with livestock they tend to move quickly. Around crops, they are slower to move as they love the free feed. If they do flee, I find they often don't go too far. Just my observations.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control