Possible Causes Of Horizontal Stringing

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Possible Causes Of Horizontal Stringing

Post by bigrich » 01 Dec 2018, 7:15 am

I’ve taken a couple of shots at goat up to about 230 yards across bonnets and door frames . Luckily, I’ve been successful every attempt. I’ve always held the forend tight, and used a open pinky finger to brace myself to whatever I’m using for a rest. Works for me. Huffing and puffing after ya bin struggling up a ridge to get a good shot braced position against a tree I still need to practice on :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 01 Dec 2018, 7:54 am

Hi

Just wondering how you got on with your dry firing?

FWIW I abandoned the bipod on my Rifles. I just couldn't shoot consistent groups shooting prone with them. I also found that by having it on, it got in my head when hunting and i was always looking for somewhere to lay down and shoot off the bipod rather than stand and shoot off hand or kneel, or use a tree or fence post or something else. Basically it became a bad habit. I almost always carry a small backpack with water and a FAK etc, so if I want an improvised rest I use that.

When shooting groups for sighting in, I use a bag similar to what Stix posted.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Dec 2018, 10:22 am

G'day Strikey, thanks for that info mate, I'll have a look today :thumbsup:

G'day Bent, the dry firing, after watching a couple of vids on ewe tube, seems to have helped. Two more rabbits last night at 190m, but I was prone so maybe, maybe not.

I have shakes and wobbles from a brain injury so I only ever shoot the shotty off-hand.
Also with the chassis, bipod and nearly a kilo of scope the Howa is a touch over 6.5kg(not the 7.5 I mistakenly claimed in another post) so a little unwieldy.
If I shoot prone I can isolate the shake rattle and roll from the equation fairly well.

The last time I got cocky and tried off-hand I blew the back end off a rabbit and the poor little bugger dragged himself underground before I could administer a coup de gras. Not going to risk that again.

The reason I shoot from the bonnet is that the part of the farm I live on is a fairly large block (+3000 acres) and the topography is fairly mixed but mostly hilly so I drive to each warren and lurk 150-200m off. That also allows me my creature comforts, cuppa, book, music etc.
Over the other side where my landlord lives is another few thousand acres of mostly flat, but he and his son take care of the ferals there.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Dec 2018, 12:25 pm

Thanks again Strikey, one set of new springs on the way from Gunbloke, $22, free post.
:thumbsup: :drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Dec 2018, 3:33 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Thanks again Strikey, one set of new springs on the way from Gunbloke, $22, free post.

You could of got them of Glen Coughlan (Ebay Trigger Guy) for the cost of postage! :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 01 Dec 2018, 3:38 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:Thanks again Strikey, one set of new springs on the way from Gunbloke, $22, free post.

You could of got them of Glen Coughlan (Ebay Trigger Guy) for the cost of postage! :unknown:

Have you got a link bigfella...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Dec 2018, 3:45 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

There you go!
Murphy strikes again.
Never mind Scott, done now. Even $22 is better than try to piss about bodging it myself.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Dec 2018, 3:45 pm

Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Just look up Glen Coughlan on FB, send him a message and see how ya go :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Dec 2018, 4:06 pm

I don't have faceplant myself, but here's a link from his website.

https://www.facebook.com/The-EBAY-Trigg ... page_panel
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 01 Dec 2018, 4:12 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Just look up Glen Coughlan on FB, send him a message and see how ya go :thumbsup:

Gaznazdiak wrote:I don't have faceplant myself, but here's a link from his website.

Yea...i dont have bookface either...when ever i try to look at something on there it wants me to sign up first...Fuk that--i dont need another password... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Dec 2018, 4:31 pm

Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Gaznazdiak wrote:I don't have faceplant myself, but here's a link from his website.

Yea...i dont have bookface either...when ever i try to look at something on there it wants me to sign up first...Fuk that--i dont need another password... :lol:

Or Mark Suckad!ck stalking you either.
My sister uses it to rehome lost, abandoned or elderly animals and while that is all fine and dandy, they still intrude like house flys whenever you are online.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Dec 2018, 5:08 pm

Wonder how many ppl on this forum don’t have wankbook and whether it’s related to hobby/age/sex....I’m another who won’t sign up.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 01 Dec 2018, 5:08 pm

:lol:

Ok managed to have a read of his blurb without getting booted off for a change...

It does sat rather well down the page to "Please do not ask for springs for the triggers I work via mail order." (thats copied & pasted from the site)...

So would anyone reading this happen to know if that means one cannot buy Tikka Springs from him...?

(just thought id ask here before i annoy him with a call down the track... :D )
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Dec 2018, 3:47 pm

Well, after following various pointers from members (1.5lb trigger and practice), swapping the bipod for a bag, and a lot of dry fire practice, stringing solved.

Now if I can get my poop in a group as far as breathing and heartbeat isolation, maybe I can get all 3 in the one hole and save on target patches.

My thanks for the shared wisdom :thumbsup: :drinks:
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (.jpg (344.88 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Dec 2018, 8:38 pm

I bought my springs from YoDave triggers in Canada. Might be easier that stuffing around on Bookface. I don't have an account with that site either.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Dec 2018, 8:44 pm

Gunbloke is the go to guy for Howa, I'm well chuffed, six rabbits tonight aren't so much impressed.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Dec 2018, 9:30 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Gunbloke is the go to guy for Howa, I'm well chuffed, six rabbits tonight aren't so much impressed.

Is that Glen Coughlan (ebay trigger guy) or someone else?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Dec 2018, 10:19 pm

Russel Brunker on the payment details
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Dec 2018, 6:57 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Russel Brunker on the payment details

Thanks mate, I went and had a look and realised they were 2 different people :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition