new to pistols - first gun advice

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

new to pistols - first gun advice

Post by ThumbNT » 17 Dec 2018, 3:46 pm

hey fellas. I already have my Cat B but im thinking of joining the local pistol club and going through the long long long process of getting my own pistol.

Whats the go with handguns, do we get the same cruddy turkish imports like we do our lever shotties? Do we have a decent selection of firearms to choose from?

only hand gun i have fired is a 22Lr (browning buckmark) and it was absolutely awesome, super fun to shoot.

so far im thinking to start with either 380 acp or 22lr because the missus will want to plink with it also, and should she get into i can simply get a new 9mm or 45 for myself.

got about $1500 to spend, not brand loyal, not fussed on weight/size or recoil (within reason)
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: new to pistols - first gun advice

Post by brett1868 » 17 Dec 2018, 4:19 pm

If you're restricted to only 1 pistol in the beginning then the Ruger Mk.4 22LR is difficult to beat for price, precision and reliability. The Buckmark is a decent pistol but the take down and cleaning is far more troublesome compared to the Ruger. Avoid any 1911 style 22 pistols as I've yet toe see a good one out of the box. For centrefire the only choice would be the CZ Shadow 2 Blue which is an absolute tack driver. Also, depending the club you join you should have a look at what others are using and get their advice. Pistol shooters are generally a friendly bunch and love talking about their kit, you might end up with several offers to try their guns. Ensure that the missus doesn't handle or have access to the pistol if unlicensed for it as that'll lose your license in a heartbeat if discovered.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ThumbNT » 17 Dec 2018, 4:51 pm

brett1868 wrote:If you're restricted to only 1 pistol in the beginning then the Ruger Mk.4 22LR is difficult to beat for price, precision and reliability. The Buckmark is a decent pistol but the take down and cleaning is far more troublesome compared to the Ruger. Avoid any 1911 style 22 pistols as I've yet toe see a good one out of the box. For centrefire the only choice would be the CZ Shadow 2 Blue which is an absolute tack driver. Also, depending the club you join you should have a look at what others are using and get their advice. Pistol shooters are generally a friendly bunch and love talking about their kit, you might end up with several offers to try their guns. Ensure that the missus doesn't handle or have access to the pistol if unlicensed for it as that'll lose your license in a heartbeat if discovered.

Christ that CZ is a stunner. Very very nice looking.
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 17 Dec 2018, 5:38 pm

ThumbNT wrote:
brett1868 wrote:If you're restricted to only 1 pistol in the beginning then the Ruger Mk.4 22LR is difficult to beat for price, precision and reliability. The Buckmark is a decent pistol but the take down and cleaning is far more troublesome compared to the Ruger. Avoid any 1911 style 22 pistols as I've yet toe see a good one out of the box. For centrefire the only choice would be the CZ Shadow 2 Blue which is an absolute tack driver. Also, depending the club you join you should have a look at what others are using and get their advice. Pistol shooters are generally a friendly bunch and love talking about their kit, you might end up with several offers to try their guns. Ensure that the missus doesn't handle or have access to the pistol if unlicensed for it as that'll lose your license in a heartbeat if discovered.

Christ that CZ is a stunner. Very very nice looking.

Yep and they shoot just as good or better then they look.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 17 Dec 2018, 5:44 pm

Once you get into it you'll work out what discipline you want to shoot and you'll see and most likely get to shoot what they're using. Don't rush into buying anything too early. 22 semi autos are hard to beat as they can be used for most disciplines also 38/357 revolvers are quite versitile. 9mm semi autos are pretty much only good for IPSC. Metallic Silouette sees single action revolvers and single shots even bolt actions 22s cut down in pistols. The process is going to take ages so, try as many matches as you can and shoot as many pistols as you can. You might even take up air pistol.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Chinballs » 18 Dec 2018, 3:53 am

ThumbNT wrote:so far im thinking to start with either 380 acp or 22lr because the missus will want to plink with it also, and should she get into i can simply get a new 9mm or 45 for myself.

got about $1500 to spend, not brand loyal, not fussed on weight/size or recoil (within reason)

Forget the .380acp straight away. Most guns in .380 are pocket pistols which you can't have due to the minimum barrel length requirements we have here (120mm semi-auto/100mm revolver). I can't even think of any legally complaint .380s off the top of my head let alone any which are actually being imported for sale

I also wouldn't recommend a .45ACP either. You will require an extra endorsement on your license and can only shoot it in one or two matches. I own a 1911 in .45ACP and love it but it is an added pain to do the required shoots as I have to travel an hour each way to a club which can shoot metallic silhouette. The match itself is terrible to shoot with a 1911 as well.

As far as semi auto .22s go I recommend a Ruger. Mark III, IV, 22/45. It doesn't matter, they're all good. A Browning Buckmark is good as well. If you buy second hand you can get a great gun for a great price as well. If you want a revolver grab a S&W 617 or a Ruger SP101. The S&W is prettier but the Rugers are cheaper. Both will outlast you.

Centerfire choices are pretty varied. I always recommend new shooters to try as many guns as possible before buying. We have had too many members to count who want something based on TV/movies/gaming and once they get it and shoot it they hate it. Yes, Beretta 92FS, I'm looking at you. If you stick with one of the big brands you will have no troble with parts, customisation or service. Stick with Ruger, S&W, Glock, CZ etc and you won't go wrong.

If I was in your shoes I would buy a Ruger MIV or Browning Buckmark for a .22 and a Glock 17A. If I was in to revolvers I would buy a S&W 617 for .22 and a Ruger GP100 for centerfire.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Boo » 18 Dec 2018, 7:19 am

Ruger Mk IV is a good 22 choice and there is a lot of aftermarket support for them, the Buckmark not so much. There is also the 1911 style Ruger 22/45 in 22 if you prefer a straighter grip angle.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 18 Dec 2018, 9:47 pm

Well ThumbNT since you've already fired a Browning Buckmark, and liked it, I'd suggest that to be the go to gun. I bought my Buckmark the first year that Browning introduced them and I've never had a lick of problems with it. My cleaning regiment is simple just a brush through the bore when I think about every few years, followed by a clean patch. I've never stripped her down but has used an aerosol gun cleaner followed with a careful application of oil. Ruger's semiautos are good guns, I have three of them, I have only broken one of them down for a cleaning and I ended up giving a gunsmith $20 to put it back together for me, that's when I learned about aerosol gun cleaning sprays. I have a Colt/Walther 22-1911 "rail gun" that took a few hundred rounds to break in, it field strips just like its center fire counter part. I've a pair of Stoeger Luger 22s, don't know if they were ever sold down under and a Smith & Wesson 422 self loader. Those cover the self loading pistols, when it comes to revolvers I'll always sing the praise of Ruger's Single Sixes. If you have the money Smith & Wesson's Model 17 can not be beat.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by duncan61 » 19 Dec 2018, 12:43 am

Barry and sons have heaps of pistols new and second hand check the website.I have written to WA gun club who are based at Whiteman park about joining and they seem to do lots of different disciplines
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by ThumbNT » 19 Dec 2018, 11:36 am

having a quick look around at some shops and website and i found something that looks about right for me.

Beretta APX 9mm. price is right, quick google search suggests its a reputable brand and more importantly its available. Ill keep having a look around that price range and look at some online video reviews.
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by doc » 19 Dec 2018, 12:36 pm

Some very good advise.

I'll add my recommendation for the Ruger Mk.4 22LR. It's a workhorse, and will keep on going - and for the money - very versatile. Plus having a .22 as your first pistol means cheap shooting to start with, not having to worry about reloaders and reloading ammunition, etc until you decide what discipline(s) you enjoy the most and want to shoot. My recommendation to anyone starting out is normally to go this way. Does most disciplines, and when you get more guns it'll be the gun you have no problems letting other people shoot.

S&W .686 is a great revolver (and competent gunsmiths can turn it into a slick machine). I didn't think I"d be into revolvers myself - but I really enjoy them. It's a good all rounder, and being a 357 if you load .38's into it - it gives you some 'buffer' when reloading if you're new to that as well.. (Aka - if you make a mistake and load more into the case than you should the gun will have a much greater chance of handling the overloaded round). You'll want it worked on though by a good gunsmith. Out of the factory they're very heavy - but after a good gunsmith's been at them, they are beaut to use.

As for an auto - CZ Shaddow 2 has my vote there as well - I don' t need to expand - it's all mentioned above.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by vmaxaust » 19 Dec 2018, 8:03 pm

[quote="ThumbNT"]hey fellas. I already have my Cat B but im thinking of joining the local pistol club and going through the long long long process of getting my own pistol.

As noted before...CZ Shadow 2...excellent
If you like revolvers...Ruger GP100 38/357 (nothing to modify whatsoever) deadly accurate in 38 Special and wonderful to shoot.
Ruger Mark IV Hunter, Target etc. All need Volquartsen accurising kit to maximise results.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2018, 10:02 pm

The Beretta APX is a nice little 9mm, I bought one for my son along with the small grip. The boy is a lefty so the APX was a great choice because it's fully left friendly. I've shot it several times and quite like it, the price is on par with a Glock so it won't break the bank. I forgot to mention earlier that the Beretta 87 22LR target is another very nice rimfire pistol. It's a capable and accurate pistol out of the box with the right ammunition, it is rather light and has a similar look and feel to that of a 1911.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 19 Dec 2018, 10:27 pm

That is the one i got at the shot show Beretta 87 22LR target fitted a red dot to it . You going on Saturday Brett I will bring it along and the Baby eagle 9mm should be there bout 11-12.
Best advice about Pistols is get hold and see how it fits in your hand you will know when you get the right feel .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2018, 11:06 pm

pomemax wrote:That is the one i got at the shot show Beretta 87 22LR target fitted a red dot to it . You going on Saturday Brett I will bring it along and the Baby eagle 9mm should be there bout 11-12.
Best advice about Pistols is get hold and see how it fits in your hand you will know when you get the right feel .

Have you got my number? Give me a call tomorrow and I'll tell you a funny story, its so stupidly funny that Wylie is still wandering around scratching his head mumbling wtf :lol:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 22 Dec 2018, 8:06 am

:shock: :? :wtf: :crazy:
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ThumbNT » 27 Dec 2018, 11:11 am

so i went down to the local gun shop.

going to join a club first, have a plink with whats on offer and save some money up and see how i feel in 6 months time.

i got some great advice from a chap at the Belmont (WA) gun shop, so that was helpful :)
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by 1Fatman » 27 Dec 2018, 11:46 am

Go see Barry and Son, they have a good range to look at and support a lot of clubs.
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Gun nut. » 30 Dec 2018, 2:45 pm

As previously said by other members I would go for a S&W 617 for a great little rimfire revolver. Or for Centefire, a ruger GP100 or a S&W 686 with at least a 6" barrel. I have all three of these and love em all to shoot. My 686 has a 8 3/8" barrel which is my favourite metal silhouette gun.
CZ 527 .223 varmit
Tikka T3 .308
K98 .308
Norinco JW-25A .22
Brno no.2 .22

Coonan .357 semi-auto
Ruger GP100 .357
S&W 617-1 .22
S&W 686-3 8 3/8
Colt rail gun 1911 .22
Gun nut.
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by NAHMINT II » 20 Jan 2019, 5:15 pm

the Canadian ''liberal''govt. is trying to pass a bill in the next 2 weeks to ban hand guns and semi auto long guns.......just like was done back in the day in OZ !!!
of course,this will put an end to ''gun violence'' ya right....... guess they forget most Canadians live within an hours drive to the united states......

back to your question.......its hard to beat a decent .357 magnum revolver...it allows you to shoot .38 special ''wadcutters'' a very accurate lead target round.....
I am partial to single and double action revolvers.......I reload for everything except shotties and don't like chasing brass thrown around by semi autos............
try out as many handguns as you can at your local range and see what you like.
cheers NAHMINT II
NAHMINT II
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Macross » 20 Jan 2019, 8:30 pm

Im also new to pistol shooting and have been lucky enough to have access to a CZ Shadow 2 as a club gun at our range. I have my heart set on one and will be saving pennies during my 6 month probation for one. If you get a chance to try one out, make sure you do it... so worth it and im sure you will be impressed.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 20 Jan 2019, 9:57 pm

2B7F3380-7BA8-47DC-9E6D-C5AE1261953E.jpeg
2B7F3380-7BA8-47DC-9E6D-C5AE1261953E.jpeg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ThumbNT » 25 Jan 2019, 11:46 am

Update.

Have followed up with my local club about coming down for a shoot. The word on the street is a the CZ shadow 2, everyone is talking about or is using one.

Im going to have some play money after i resign from my current role (leave payout) so i might pickup either a akkar churchill U/O, Marlin 38/357 or pay upfront for my membership, pistol SSAA membership and all that stuff.

I still have my heart set on the Beretta Apex. i do like it.
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by zhuk » 25 Jan 2019, 12:33 pm

PBA have told me no new S2s are coming in until June/July, so if you want one there are a few going on abusedguns etc
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers