Knife Sharpener

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Knife Sharpener

Post by Stix » 11 Dec 2018, 11:05 am

Attention all blade smiths & savvy Ebay/internet purchasers...

Forgive potential silly questions from a naive internet consumer... :oops:

I desperately need a good knife sharpener & was going to buy one of these...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lansky-Delu ... rk:10:pf:0

As was a suggestion from marksman this thread...Ive had a brief look at sharpeners & i like what i see with this one compared to others.
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=8840

But having a scoot around on Ebay, there seems to be a heap of cheap knock-offs...such as this...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Model-F ... 0005.m1851

And this...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2018-Model- ... 0005.m1851

which lead me to 2 questions i hope you blade smiths out there can answer/reassure me of...

!)...are these knock-off's worth the money--yes i know they are obviously knock-off's, but sometimes these things are a worthwhile bargain...so does anyone have experience with these cheaper knife sharpeners...? :unknown:

2)...How do i know that by paying full price for what "appears to be" the legit item, i still wont get ripped by all these unscrupulous low life scum heads out there...? :unknown:

Can anyone point a naive internet buyer in the right direction please...? :unknown: :? ...i really need a good sharpener & want it for Christmas Callop & Festive Foxes. :clap:

Thanks heaps in advance... :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Knife Sharpener

Post by Gaznazdiak » 11 Dec 2018, 12:10 pm

You get what you pay for in this area Stix.

I have the Lansky, love it! The knockoffs have cheap, soft stones from, your friend and mine, the Communist dictatorship of China.

I've had my Lanski for years and there is no apparent wear on the stones yet, whereas the cheap stones I got with an Edge Pro knockoff had visible wear after the first use.

I use the Sharpie marker to colour where I'm sharpening before I start. A light brush with the stone will tell you if you need to adjust your angle setting.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg (345.57 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 11 Dec 2018, 12:13 pm

I have a Lansky set that I bought many years ago - way before the internet shopping was even thought of. Never faulted it.
If you use your search engine to look up XTELARY, the brand name of your other 2 items, you will see that they are into EVERYTHING.
Over to you, but my pick would be Lansky.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by PCHammond » 11 Dec 2018, 12:17 pm

I have a Lansky, and I have an Edge Pro knockoff.

I haven't used the Lansky in yeaaaaars. Buy some Congress stones for the Edge Pro knockoff and you will be laughing.
PCHammond
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 11 Dec 2018, 12:25 pm

Thanks for that pointer PCH :thumbsup:

The one thing the Lansky lacks is the ability to properly hold double edged knives to get a consistent angle, something the EP clone does well.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 11 Dec 2018, 12:36 pm

I have one of your third choice. It works great! Doesn’t come with set up instructions though but there are videos on YT that explain it nicely.
I recommend putting a layer of electrical tape on the clamping deck so blades clamped on stay put.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 11 Dec 2018, 1:11 pm

Noisydad wrote:I have one of your third choice. It works great! Doesn’t come with set up instructions though but there are videos on YT that explain it nicely.
I recommend putting a layer of electrical tape on the clamping deck so blades clamped on stay put.

:thumbsup:
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Dec 2018, 1:26 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 11 Dec 2018, 2:13 pm

this ^^^^^^^^^^ quick and easy, you can do all your knives in the time it takes the lansky to do one. i have both :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 11 Dec 2018, 2:13 pm

oops double post
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Urastus » 11 Dec 2018, 7:26 pm

I don't like the blade holder on the lansky. There is no way to hold the blade centred. Also, as you get close to finishing off, you really want to do light single swipes on either side - with the lansky you have to flip the whole thing upside down and go the opposite direction to what you were (heel of the blade to the point). And :) if the blade is a reasonable length (not that long) you have to sharpen the knife in sections. I bought one of these: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... er-reg-/77 It does 25 and 20 degree angles (I use 20). One more point: other than spyderco brand, most knives come with funny angles; I think they've been sharpened freehand on a belt. Might be really sharp, but odd angles. This is a real problem when you go to sharpen that knife. Even 440 stainless takes a lot of time and effort to reangle. If you've got a few knives I'd recommend this: https://www.worksharptools.com/original ... pener.html I have one coming and it's only to correct wrong angles. I've had a few knives with one angle one side and a different angle the other. I also get asked by friends and relatives to fix/sharpen their knives; that's part of my community service :) Someone mentioned using black marker on the edge to show what's going on when you try to sharpen - awesome idea. I also have a 20x magnifying glass with light to inspect the edge. Kitchen knives I do freehand on a carbide stone just till they shave just to keep my hand in on knives I'm not particularly attached to. You really want a nice fine steel too; I use one on the kitchen knives because they get a hard time. I usually just use the finest stone on the spyderco to lightly touch up my other knives. I have an old belt for stropping after sharpening the kitchen knives. For my knives I bought something like this (but cheap from ebay) https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO0905 ... ch-Surface and this https://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D2902- ... B0000DD35C. You put the green stuff on the soft leather of the paddle strop, before stropping :)
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Urastus » 18 Dec 2018, 4:44 pm

I can't emphasize the 20x magnifying glass. Every knife I've had has had odd angles. I've even managed to get them razor sharp but haven't realised it has only been on one edge. I don't believe you could see this without a magnifying glass.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by PCHammond » 21 Dec 2018, 10:58 am

Just run a marker down each edge. If you have the wrong angle or if the knife edge is at a weird angle, you will see it.

I find that blue permanent marker works best for me
PCHammond
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 21 Dec 2018, 9:17 pm

The Japanese run a single sided sharpened knife for a reason.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 9:23 pm

lansky works for me . i bought a sharpener from my local GS and did all my knives , even my home kitchen ones got a great edge from a lansky :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Urastus » 23 Dec 2018, 10:47 am

Stoney wrote:The Japanese run a single sided sharpened knife for a reason.
I've done that with filleting knives and it can work - sharpen left side for a right hander. But not very user friendly in the end. You need the right shape knife too. Most knives are wedge shaped to some degree, so that would exaggerate the pulling to one side.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Stoney » 23 Dec 2018, 7:28 pm

Urastus wrote:
Stoney wrote:The Japanese run a single sided sharpened knife for a reason.
I've done that with filleting knives and it can work - sharpen left side for a right hander. But not very user friendly in the end. You need the right shape knife too. Most knives are wedge shaped to some degree, so that would exaggerate the pulling to one side.

Yes, Urastus they do pull to one side but actually give a more precise cut if you investigate the angle of the sharpened blade.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 24 Dec 2018, 1:45 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: sharpened the kitchen knives today and the missus just cut her finger :lol: :lol: and she was the one that wanted them sharpened :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by marksman » 24 Dec 2018, 7:44 pm

I have a lansky diamond, I find it very good, I've had the lansky stone knife sharpener since a kid and it was ok

but for serious knife sharpening this is what I would recommend

when you need to sharpen knives quickly this is the go, it uses sharpening stones and is similar to the lansky how it works just bigger but I made some diamond plates from a bit of timber and cheap diamond coated sharpening plates from ebay, as you can see in the photo
when I am butchering I dont want to have to stuff about sharpening knives and this works a treat
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 24 Dec 2018, 8:14 pm

Ok...so what is that marksman...?

I got a cheap edge pro knock-off delivered the other day...its a bit how ya goin...maybe good stones will hekp it, & will need a bit of practice to hold the knife steady...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 24 Dec 2018, 10:23 pm

I will try and find the info tomorrow for it Stix, from memory it is a ezesharpener or something like that, the store I bought it from has moved

never mind here it is
mysliceoflife.com.au/product/ezesharp-knifeblade-sharpener/

ezesharp.com.au
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 25 Dec 2018, 9:27 pm

I have the Edge Pro knock off from eBay. It does work quite well. But I don't really use it that much. I usually just use my diamond coated sharpening rod in a more out in field situation.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation