Cleaning solvents

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Cleaning solvents

Post by Zappa » 21 Dec 2018, 11:09 am

Im reading here, most ppl have a dislike for sweets 7.62 due to its harshness and odor .

What are the absolute minimum products i need for cleaning a .22LR and a .223 ?

Im thinking

1) a can of G96 gun treatment
2) One piece rod. Swivel optional?
3) Brass brush head
4) Nylon brush head
5) Jags to suit
6) Pack of wads.
7) White spirits or Shellite.
8) Cotton Flannelette rags.

With respect to solvents, whats a good all round solvent not as potent as Sweets, used for mild lead and copper fouling ???
I also watched a few youtubes about cleaning. Particularly around copper and lead removal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYINxnvaxuc

This gentleman comes across as highly knowledgeable and frankly knows his stuff. Provides a balanced argument wrt to solvents and leaving the copper plating ( caused by the projectiles) in the barrel . Akin to 'conditioning or seasoning' it makes sense to me.

The only challenge i can foresee is how clean is clean. And how much copper "fouling" should I be removing. ?

I remember my grand-pops would swear about seasoning his cast iron pans, and his favorite smoke pipe. I attempted to clean it for him once and he cut loose on me. " other than a quick pipe chute clean, i never touch the pipe pod, cause it'll take me ages to season it. " :wtf:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Cleaning solvents

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 11:29 am

with regards to 22lr, shoot only lead projectiles and nylon brush and patch with no solvent after shooting, i don't have a problem with sweets myself , i just don't scrub too much . lots of different opinions on this subject. i will be following this to see if i cant learn something new :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Dec 2018, 11:40 am

I've been using Windex, let it sit for 10 min, dry patch, Gunslick Ultra-Klenz, 10 min, dry patch until I get clean passes.

I only clean like this after 100 or more, usually boresnake every couple is all.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 1:44 pm

Zappa wrote:Im reading here, most ppl have a dislike for sweets 7.62 due to its harshness and odor .

What are the absolute minimum products i need for cleaning a .22LR and a .223 ?

Im thinking

1) a can of G96 gun treatment
2) One piece rod. Swivel optional?
3) Brass brush head
4) Nylon brush head
5) Jags to suit
6) Pack of wads.
7) White spirits or Shellite.
8) Cotton Flannelette rags.

With respect to solvents, whats a good all round solvent not as potent as Sweets, used for mild lead and copper fouling ???
I also watched a few youtubes about cleaning. Particularly around copper and lead removal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYINxnvaxuc

This gentleman comes across as highly knowledgeable and frankly knows his stuff. Provides a balanced argument wrt to solvents and leaving the copper plating ( caused by the projectiles) in the barrel . Akin to 'conditioning or seasoning' it makes sense to me.

The only challenge i can foresee is how clean is clean. And how much copper "fouling" should I be removing. ?

I remember my grand-pops would swear about seasoning his cast iron pans, and his favorite smoke pipe. I attempted to clean it for him once and he cut loose on me. " other than a quick pipe chute clean, i never touch the pipe pod, cause it'll take me ages to season it. " :wtf:

A one-piece rod, preferably coated or carbon fibre.
I've been using Outers Nitro Solvent Gun Cleaner. for cleaning (any solvent designed to break down combustion residue, copper and lead would be fine). Gun Grease for waterproofing, and some bulk gun oil I bought online for lubricant.
Jags and patching material.
What do you mean by a "pack of wads"?
I use old cotton T-shirt for wiping.

I clean all my bores only when they start showing reduced accuracy.
I rarely use brushes, but if I do need to do some scrubbing I use nylon brushes - particularly for cleaning the chamber.
I prefer to let the solvent do the scrubbing and just patch out the residue.

I thoroughly soak the bore with solvent, then patch it out until the patches come out clean.

Between bore cleans I clean the rest of the rifle. Spray with solvent to break down the crud then wipe it out (a set of dental picks are mint for getting into tight places), then oil my hand or finger and wipe the metal surfaces. I strip the bolt to get all the crud out of the firing pin and extractor. Oil it, and grease the bolt and cam lugs (and the sear surface in the receiver). Then I oil my hand and wipe oil over the entire rifle - metal, wood and plastic. I generally don't disassemble the trigger group unless it's filthy. I just wipe any crud away then a light coat of oil. The steel that's hidden under the wood I like to wipe with grease for waterproofing.

Although I do own two different bore guides, I have a varied collection of rifles, most of which won't allow a bore guide so I don't bother with them at all now. If you're going to clean the bore all the time though I would recommend using a bore guide. I do have a muzzle guide for the muzzle loader though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 21 Dec 2018, 4:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:What do you mean by a "pack of wads"?

Next you're going to tell me calibre specific wads do not exist. :allegedly:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 4:57 pm

as far as oil goes, i like balistol. it's good for metal , doesn't eat wood ( bin told G96 does apparently ) , spruces up leather, and can be used as a antiseptic. developed for the german military around world war one. uncle herman says, " it's gud , ja ?" :lol:

:drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 6:05 pm

Zappa wrote:
bladeracer wrote:What do you mean by a "pack of wads"?

Next you're going to tell me calibre specific wads do not exist. :allegedly:

Why would I?
I know what wads are generally, I just don't see what you would use them for during cleaning.
Last edited by bladeracer on 21 Dec 2018, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2018, 6:06 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 6:07 pm

bigrich wrote:as far as oil goes, i like balistol. it's good for metal , doesn't eat wood ( bin told G96 does apparently ) , spruces up leather, and can be used as a antiseptic. developed for the german military around world war one. uncle herman says, " it's gud , ja ?" :lol:

I have some but it has been quite difficult to find here. Making me wonder if there isn't something equally good but more-readily available. If Ballistol was the optimum product I would've expected that they'd have sorted an Ozzie distributor before now.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 6:10 pm

Oldbloke wrote:https://www.ssaa.org.au/stories/hints-tips-how-to-clean-a-firearm.html

From the link, "I base my cleaning routines on the way I clean my benchrest target rifles...".
I don't shoot Benchrest and I doubt very many shooters need to go to that level of OCD in their cleaning technique.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 6:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:as far as oil goes, i like balistol. it's good for metal , doesn't eat wood ( bin told G96 does apparently ) , spruces up leather, and can be used as a antiseptic. developed for the german military around world war one. uncle herman says, " it's gud , ja ?" :lol:

I have some but it has been quite difficult to find here. Making me wonder if there isn't something equally good but more-readily available. If Ballistol was the optimum product I would've expected that they'd have sorted an Ozzie distributor before now.

business connections and politics dictate what we do or don't get from overseas ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Zappa » 21 Dec 2018, 7:21 pm

I refer to the patches as wads. I know I'm not using the correct terminology. Regardless I think they're ok to use and cheap enough if you dont have cotton rags lying round . Ymmv
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 8:28 pm

bigrich wrote:business connections and politics dictate what we do or don't get from overseas ;)

Agreed, but if it were that good somebody would've sorted a supply by now.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 8:31 pm

Zappa wrote:I refer to the patches as wads. I know I'm not using the correct terminology. Regardless I think they're ok to use and cheap enough if you dont have cotton rags lying round . Ymmv

Okay, it should've clicked when I noticed you didn't list patching material :-)
I use pre-cut patches and rolled "two-by-four" patch material depending on the size of the hole I'm cleaning.
I also wrap the nylon brush with a patch so it drags the crud out with it.

It's not inconceivable that somebody might use wads for cleaning, but it'd be pretty unusual.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 Dec 2018, 8:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:https://www.ssaa.org.au/stories/hints-tips-how-to-clean-a-firearm.html

From the link, "I base my cleaning routines on the way I clean my benchrest target rifles...".
I don't shoot Benchrest and I doubt very many shooters need to go to that level of OCD in their cleaning technique.

blade I dont see a difference in cleaning a bore :unknown:
do you think you get a different clean if its not a benchrest rifle :unknown:

you put cleaning solvent in, give it time to work and patch it out, when the bore is clean oil and put it away :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 21 Dec 2018, 9:07 pm

Hoppes #9 for me mate. Then either penetrene, CLP, or G96.
I don’t use any solvent in 22LR. Shouldn’t be a need to.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 9:12 pm

after numerous testing on 22 lr, lead slugs only and don't clean out with solvent . works for me :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 21 Dec 2018, 10:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Iv'e never had any problem obtaining Ballistol produts from BRT in Brisbane.
https://brtshooterssupply.com.au/produc ... 500ml.html

Ballistol also make an excellent bore cleaning solvent, available from, BRT of course.
https://brtshooterssupply.com.au/produc ... il-65.html

Does that help?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Zappa » 21 Dec 2018, 11:37 pm

JimTom wrote:Hoppes #9 for me mate. Then either penetrene, CLP, or G96.

spray or liquid? Id imagine the liquid lasts longer whereas the spray is easier to apply. :geek:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Dec 2018, 4:52 am

No1_49er wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Iv'e never had any problem obtaining Ballistol produts from BRT in Brisbane.
https://brtshooterssupply.com.au/produc ... 500ml.html

Ballistol also make an excellent bore cleaning solvent, available from, BRT of course.
https://brtshooterssupply.com.au/produc ... il-65.html

Does that help?

i've never had a problem getting balistol from the GS i go to around brisbane. rebel gun works do a lot of online sales. ballistol is not petroleum based, which is why it doesn't eat wood and is good for a lot of other uses . hope this helps :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 22 Dec 2018, 6:03 am

Zappa wrote:
JimTom wrote:Hoppes #9 for me mate. Then either penetrene, CLP, or G96.

spray or liquid? Id imagine the liquid lasts longer whereas the spray is easier to apply. :geek:

G96 in a can, Penetrene, and CLP out of a bottle mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Zappa » 22 Dec 2018, 11:30 am

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bondall-400 ... l_p6100450

apparently uncle bunnies can get it in for you. I think im sold.

I trust Zerman stuff. Them crazy Zermans...
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2018, 1:00 pm

bigrich wrote:after numerous testing on 22 lr, lead slugs only and don't clean out with solvent . works for me :drinks: :thumbsup:

I keep seeing this reference to only shooting lead bullets in the .22LR - what other materials are .22LR bullets made from?
The only one that comes to mind is the CCI Copper-22 polymer bullet, everything else I've ever seen is lead.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 22 Dec 2018, 1:35 pm

Lead as opposed to copper coated lead such as Power Points, perhaps.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2018, 2:58 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Lead as opposed to copper coated lead such as Power Points, perhaps.

I've seen copper-wash bullets, but that's a far stretch from copper-plating or jacketed, it's basically copper-coloured lube.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 22 Dec 2018, 3:37 pm

Check EDS red on yt
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 22 Dec 2018, 4:14 pm

myself I do not have a problem with using sweets 7.62, we have had discussions on this forum about it's use
I use wipe out patch out and accelerator for rimfire and centrefire rifle
these are photo's of patches from what I thought was a very clean bore after using wipeout patchout in a cenrefire but it is by far the best thing I have ever used for carbon removal, it is good for taking out copper but I use bore tech eliminator for copper if there is any after I use the patchout :drinks: it works
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 22 Dec 2018, 4:14 pm

pomemax wrote:Check EDS red on yt

interesting concoction. i use the acetone \ atf formula for penetrating oil around the garage but Mr Ed takes it a few steps further.

With my economy of scale, im better off buying the lube in a can rather than stockpiling all these chems. If I shot 1500 rnds per week, I can see that might be feasible.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 22 Dec 2018, 4:50 pm

how do you guys dispose of your patches ? They cant really be recycled without undergoing further chemical treatment.
Simply chucking them in the bin in general waste would not be the smartest thing to do either.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2018, 6:23 pm

Zappa wrote:how do you guys dispose of your patches ? They cant really be recycled without undergoing further chemical treatment.
Simply chucking them in the bin in general waste would not be the smartest thing to do either.

In the bin. The solvents evaporate by the time it gets to the bin so it's just a bit of dirty rag.
How many litres of gun oil do you go through? When I clean a rifle I use plenty of solvent and oil, but neither would equate to more than a few drops. When I'm building an engine my clothing would have more oil on it than my bore patches would.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment