Post by the collector » 16 Jan 2014, 9:45 pm

sig or desert eagle
the collector
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Your choice of pistol

Post by Keith » 18 Dec 2018, 9:42 am

I have shot & carried a variety of handguns over the years, but my favourites are muzzle-loading flintlock pistols. Partly I prefer them because of my interest in 18th century Living History, but also because they are harder to shoot; they take more skill to use & therefore are more of a challenge.
Keith.
1730 flintlock pistol National Maritime Museum London
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
Keith
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Dec 2018, 12:47 pm

Keith wrote:I have shot & carried a variety of handguns over the years, but my favourites are muzzle-loading flintlock pistols. Partly I prefer them because of my interest in 18th century Living History, but also because they are harder to shoot; they take more skill to use & therefore are more of a challenge.
Keith.
1730 flintlock pistol National Maritime Museum London

IPSC needs a flintlock class!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 18 Dec 2018, 1:54 pm

.327.jpg
.327.jpg (81.96 KiB) Viewed 6522 times
.22.jpg
.22.jpg (90.13 KiB) Viewed 6522 times
I also usually want what I can't have. In this instance it is because the ammo isn't available, but the firearms are (doh!). Ruger GP100 in .327 federal magnum (6" barrel, 7 rounds). I'll probably end up with GP100 in .22 (5.5" barrel, 10 rounds) and .357 (6" barrel, 6 rounds). Or something with a true 5.5 or 6" barrel (not including the chamber) auto in .57 x 28mm. Neither the ammo or the pistol exists for that one. FN has 5.5", but minus the chamber there isn't much barrel at all. I like the idea of flat shooting to 100m :)
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 18 Dec 2018, 2:53 pm

Urastus wrote:
.327.jpg
.22.jpg
I also usually want what I can't have. In this instance it is because the ammo isn't available, but the firearms are (doh!). Ruger GP100 in .327 federal magnum (6" barrel, 7 rounds). I'll probably end up with GP100 in .22 (5.5" barrel, 10 rounds) and .357 (6" barrel, 6 rounds). Or something with a true 5.5 or 6" barrel (not including the chamber) auto in .57 x 28mm. Neither the ammo or the pistol exists for that one. FN has 5.5", but minus the chamber there isn't much barrel at all. I like the idea of flat shooting to 100m :)

Ammo availability is never an excuse!
Buy what you want and make the ammo yourself.

Why do you want a specific barrel length?

Are you aware that pistol shooters regularly shoot metallic silhouettes at well over 100m, with cartridges that aren't known for flat shooting?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 18 Dec 2018, 4:50 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Ammo availability is never an excuse!
Buy what you want and make the ammo yourself.

Why do you want a specific barrel length?

Are you aware that pistol shooters regularly shoot metallic silhouettes at well over 100m, with cartridges that aren't known for flat shooting?

I wasn't aware of that for the .327; there really is nothing around though, so I'd have to reload straight away. Re other calibers and 100m - for sure there are lots of calibers that shoot that distance. For range shooting though I think there are better calibers. I believe the US drives the pistol / hand gun market; Australia wouldn't be 1% of their market. The US market is predominantly driven by self defense. Re barrel length: a compromise between wasted energy, sight radius, club legal, weight, accuracy.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 18 Dec 2018, 5:18 pm

Urastus wrote:I wasn't aware of that for the .327; there really is nothing around though, so I'd have to reload straight away. Re other calibers and 100m - for sure there are lots of calibers that shoot that distance. For range shooting though I think there are better calibers. I believe the US drives the pistol / hand gun market; Australia wouldn't be 1% of their market. The US market is predominantly driven by self defense. Re barrel length: a compromise between wasted energy, sight radius, club legal, weight, accuracy.

One of the members here has a lever rifle in .327 for Metallic Silhouette I think.

.327 Federal Mag is a .312" bullet, so anything designed for 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54R or .303 would fit it, but you'd likely have to use the lighter bullets to fit the cylinder length. Hornady do the .312" XTP in 60gn, 85gn and 100gn - I use the 100gn XTP in 7.62x54R and .303. Of course, you could also cast your own bullets to suit.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 18 Dec 2018, 8:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:
One of the members here has a lever rifle in .327 for Metallic Silhouette I think.

.327 Federal Mag is a .312" bullet, so anything designed for 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54R or .303 would fit it, but you'd likely have to use the lighter bullets to fit the cylinder length. Hornady do the .312" XTP in 60gn, 85gn and 100gn - I use the 100gn XTP in 7.62x54R and .303. Of course, you could also cast your own bullets to suit.

Just had a quick look at what ammo there is in the states. They seem to mostly make from 85 up, but 85 and 100 seems most common. That is good to know Blade - thanks for that. It does look like a good caliber.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 18 Dec 2018, 8:55 pm

Urastus wrote:Just had a quick look at what ammo there is in the states. They seem to mostly make from 85 up, but 85 and 100 seems most common. That is good to know Blade - thanks for that. It does look like a good caliber.

I've never even seen the cartridge but I think it has good potential.
One of those that work in a chamber adapter in Lee-Enfields and Mosins.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 18 Dec 2018, 9:12 pm

Ruger single 6 in .22LR/.22 MAG.The safari guide had one and we had a ball plinking at cans.I am considering getting into pistol shooting there are plenty of ranges local
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bremen » 18 Dec 2018, 10:04 pm

I like unusual firearms or interesting designs. I have a Grand Power K100, am currently looking for a used Desert Eagle. I'd probably get a Chiappa Rhino, FN57, a bunch of historical mil-sups(Tokarev etc).
Bremen
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SillyWetTas » 19 Dec 2018, 7:54 am

Urastus wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Just had a quick look at what ammo there is in the states. They seem to mostly make from 85 up, but 85 and 100 seems most common. That is good to know Blade - thanks for that. It does look like a good caliber.

I have a 327 in a TC contender with a 10 inch barrel i use for Silhouette.
Great cartridge
SillyWetTas
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2018, 11:08 am

Bremen wrote:I like unusual firearms or interesting designs. I have a Grand Power K100, am currently looking for a used Desert Eagle. I'd probably get a Chiappa Rhino, FN57, a bunch of historical mil-sups(Tokarev etc).

Don't waste your time or money on a FN57, little or no choice of factory ammo and the one I've got patterns like a 12ga.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Dec 2018, 11:43 am

Dream pistol I can't find, and would probably be skint the day one turned up, a GIGN issued MR73 in 4"
Attachments
GIGN MR73.jpg
GIGN MR73.jpg (596.54 KiB) Viewed 7029 times
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Dec 2018, 12:10 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Bremen wrote:I like unusual firearms or interesting designs. I have a Grand Power K100, am currently looking for a used Desert Eagle. I'd probably get a Chiappa Rhino, FN57, a bunch of historical mil-sups(Tokarev etc).

Don't waste your time or money on a FN57, little or no choice of factory ammo and the one I've got patterns like a 12ga.

Can't possibly agree with this having fired a fellow club members 5-7 this month. It is an amazingly accurate pistol, our club champion was putting 9/10 into a 20cent sized hole at 25m offhand. Even I got 8/10 into the 10 ring at 50m. Perhaps brett needs to have his looked at. hits the "fun factor" as well. Am also considering an APX, I seem to be able to shoot it better than the 92FS, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 19 Dec 2018, 5:24 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:
brett1868 wrote:

Can't possibly agree with this having fired a fellow club members 5-7 this month. It is an amazingly accurate pistol, our club champion was putting 9/10 into a 20cent sized hole at 25m offhand. Even I got 8/10 into the 10 ring at 50m. Perhaps brett needs to have his looked at. hits the "fun factor" as well. Am also considering an APX, I seem to be able to shoot it better than the 92FS, Cheers.

It's a pity that there aren't other manufacturers for this caliber. It should be a great range hand gun.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2018, 9:11 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:
brett1868 wrote:

By every report I read prior to purchasing the FN should be an absolute tack driver but mine sux ass and balls. The only choice available by way of factory ammo is the American Eagle 40gr FMJ which grouped 6" at 10m, even a mild reload using Hornady 40gr VMAX wasn't much better. I've had others try the pistol and they get the same result so that's me eliminated from the equation. I've given up on it for now as I've got other pistols to use but I'll come back to the FN in due course as it's got to be the gun. Warranty will be an interesting exercise as its now 18 months since purchase and I suspect it was a grey import from the A-Hole of the north so I'm pretty much screwed I think.
On a positive note I've got a 8 3/8" 500 S&W Magnum along with a 50AE due late January or early February :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 20 Dec 2018, 11:46 am

I'd have a 20g howdah pistol,or some form of 50 cal caplock single barrel pistol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 20 Dec 2018, 1:31 pm

bigpete wrote:I'd have a 20g howdah pistol,or some form of 50 cal caplock single barrel pistol

I've got a scout in the US trying to locate either the Thunder or Texan 50BMG pistol for me, not many were made but if one comes up on the market I'll do my best to snag it. Till then I have to console myself to punishing my wrist using the BFR 45-70 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DRXX8nU7iA
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 20 Dec 2018, 10:50 pm

CZ Combat because:lefty, it has all the good tweaks the standard 85 does not...and that very nice classic Browning type look, while still being a CZ. I've got a Mk1 secondhand Shadow on the way (almost unused for &750) but for all its undoubted awesomeness I'd rather the classic look than the full length dustcover. But Combats are utterly unobtainum, unfortunately.

And after 8 years of shooting an M&P, should be interesting lol

zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2018, 5:13 am

brett1868 wrote:
bigpete wrote:I'd have a 20g howdah pistol,or some form of 50 cal caplock single barrel pistol

I've got a scout in the US trying to locate either the Thunder or Texan 50BMG pistol for me, not many were made but if one comes up on the market I'll do my best to snag it. Till then I have to console myself to punishing my wrist using the BFR 45-70 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DRXX8nU7iA

That is so completely nothing like the ones I posted :D :D :D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Boo » 21 Dec 2018, 7:17 am

Hello, Mr Pedantic here, re a few posts back, just remember that a pistol is a pistol and a revolver is a revolver and never the two shall interchange. Happy Xmas :)
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 9:07 am

Boo wrote:Hello, Mr Pedantic here, re a few posts back, just remember that a pistol is a pistol and a revolver is a revolver and never the two shall interchange. Happy Xmas :)

Not true, although the US do tend to limit "pistol" to refer to semi-auto handguns, the rest of the world uses "pistol" and "handgun" interchangeably.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Dec 2018, 10:40 am

bladeracer wrote:
Boo wrote:Hello, Mr Pedantic here, re a few posts back, just remember that a pistol is a pistol and a revolver is a revolver and never the two shall interchange. Happy Xmas :)

Not true, although the US do tend to limit "pistol" to refer to semi-auto handguns, the rest of the world uses "pistol" and "handgun" interchangeably.

I concur with bladeracer, the original handguns were referred to as pistols from around 1450, and revolver is a contraction of the term "revolving pistol". The Webley MkVI is designated in British and Commonwealth armies as "Pistol, Revolver, Webley No1, MkVI". The limiting of "pistol" to semi-auto handguns is almost exclusively American, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 21 Dec 2018, 12:39 pm

This view depends on whether a person subscribes to the English or American definitions and given the ambiguity both could be correct. Technically according to 1 definition a pistol has the barrel integral to the ammunition in which a revolver / semi auto don't fit the definition. I'm of the personal view that all are hand guns and to add detail they created sub types. Pistol, Revolving Pistol, Semi Auto Pistol, Machine Pistol....at the end of the day it's all semantics and who gives a crap... :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Urastus » 28 Dec 2018, 10:37 am

Mark IV hunter.jpg
Mark IV hunter.jpg (28.21 KiB) Viewed 6142 times
Actually, for a .22 I may very well get a ruger mark iv stainless hunter with the wood grips. The grips look as though they can be used left or right, which is good, because I practice both
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by zhuk » 30 Dec 2018, 9:29 pm

If you want to get a Tokarev on a target licence, remember that it must be held by a dealer/gunsmith who can add the extra 5mm of barrel to make it target legal :roll: before you can take possession. Mine was seamlessly silver soldered by my club's gunsmith/armourer, and I was lucky to get the last 500 rounds of Winchester factory 7.62x25 left in Australia before they shipped the rest of the several 1000 rnds they had (covered in dust in their Geelong warehouse lol) to India...after they lied and told me I could buy as much as I wanted :P

You can reload with converted .223 cases, though I've never tried....so if not on a Collector's licence be aware you will likely never find ammo for it if you don't reload.

zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers