Can anyone confirm if there is a max legal number in Qld

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Can anyone confirm if there is a max legal number in Qld

Post by gunnnie » 21 Dec 2018, 5:51 pm

After reading through various posts over the past several months, it struck me that the topic of just how many can one own on a standard license, is akin to how long is a piece of string!

So, does anyone know, for example, is there a legislated max number on Cat A, B or H in QLD? How about the other states? Is there a stated number in the fine print or as set by the AGD.

Just one of those 'I wonder but can't find anything in print to quantify' questions.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Can anyone confirm if there is a max legal number in Qld

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 5:56 pm

gunnnie wrote:After reading through various posts over the past several months, it struck me that the topic of just how many can one own on a standard license, is akin to how long is a piece of string!

So, does anyone know, for example, is there a legislated max number on Cat A, B or H in QLD? How about the other states? Is there a stated number in the fine print or as set by the AGD.

Just one of those 'I wonder but can't find anything in print to quantify' questions.

I'm not aware of any limit on Cat A/B or H.
In Victoria they will hold your sixteenth CatB PtA and require a letter of explanation, although such is not written in the laws.
There are security restrictions based on the number of firearms you own though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 21 Dec 2018, 6:21 pm

Agree. Pretty much what I'm finding after reading through a raft of various posts/topics over the past couple of years.

From personal experience I've found that QLD WLB has a self imposed number of 5 of the same cartridge. Had this occur when I purchased my 5th SMLE. Had to provide a letter to justify & since then haven't had to provide any further justification for subsequent 303's.

I know of a few other Qlders who have quite a few 'toys' & they haven't had any major issues from the authorities. Guess it also helps with being rural as the local 'lads' are a bloody good bunch.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 21 Dec 2018, 7:02 pm

Not a legislated number :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 21 Dec 2018, 7:09 pm

I though in QLD it was over 20 longarms or 20 concealable you need to upgrade security to a vault/strong room, but no maximum if you can justify each one.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by gunnnie » 21 Dec 2018, 7:31 pm

Not quite. If more than 30 longarms you can store as per normal (under 30, in safes etc) OR locked rack/storeroom OR in a locked vault.

Though common sense would dictate that you increased the degree of security for peace of mind & to help maintain relations with the local 'lads'.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 21 Dec 2018, 7:52 pm

WLB have 'policy' relating to the number of firearms you may have, as mentioned by gunnnie, yoshie and Db above. I have my own policy, and that is "One more than I currently have in my safes at the moment." This policy serves me well, and is easy enough to remember.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 21 Dec 2018, 8:17 pm

Like your thinking & wholeheartedly endorse such a methodology.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 21 Dec 2018, 9:00 pm

Although there is no legislated set maximum number, a number that when you reach it, the AO says "Sorry, no more for you.", there is however a legislated number where you will have to upgrade your storage and security;
Part 21, Section 94 (3) (a), (b)
(3) However, the person must, when the weapon is not in the
person’s physical possession, store it in the same way that a
weapon to which part 20 applies must be stored under that
part, if at the premises where the weapon is, there are more
than—
(a) for category A, B, C or D weapons—a total of 30 of any
of those weapons; or
(b) 30 category H weapons.
Part 20 refers to Storage measures for collectors
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 9:26 pm

trekin wrote:Although there is no legislated set maximum number, a number that when you reach it, the AO says "Sorry, no more for you.", there is however a legislated number where you will have to upgrade your storage and security;
Part 21, Section 94 (3) (a), (b)
(3) However, the person must, when the weapon is not in the
person’s physical possession, store it in the same way that a
weapon to which part 20 applies must be stored under that
part, if at the premises where the weapon is, there are more
than—
(a) for category A, B, C or D weapons—a total of 30 of any
of those weapons; or
(b) 30 category H weapons.
Part 20 refers to Storage measures for collectors

30 is what my firearm induction taught me, personally , i subscribe to the belief the fewer the better as you are more proficiant with rifles you use more . JMHO :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 21 Dec 2018, 9:44 pm

I had a lengthy discussion with the WL gents when I was audited roughly 10 years ago.

30 was the upper limit; beyond that, and the safes(bolted to the building) I currently had in a locked wooden room werent going to be considered sufficient.

In exploring what WOULD be sufficient, it seemed that a shipping container on it's own, wasnt considered enough.

The thought was (and I havent explored this any further) a shipping container would need to have a door substantially improved for security/access, and the container itself would need to be permanently affixed to the ground.
The thought was likely steel posts concreted into the ground, and the Shipping Container then welded to the uprights.

I then pointed out the absurdity of this; our main shed packed with a collection of angle grinders, a plasma cutter, oxy set, and sitting nearby, a 15-ton 4WD loader & backhoe.
Even if I met all of the WL requirements, I could see how a determined soul could get inside the storage unit within minutes.
The WL gents indicated they didnt care; as long as the storage met the requirements, the fact it could all be bypassed was irrelevant.
I was surprised that electronic surveillance wasnt considered important; even at that stage.

Again; this was around 10 years back, it's on a remote(ish) rural property in outback QLD, and we were discussing the requirements for 30+ weapons.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 21 Dec 2018, 10:43 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:I was surprised that electronic surveillance wasnt considered important; even at that stage.
Again; this was around 10 years back, it's on a remote(ish) rural property in outback QLD, and we were discussing the requirements for 30+ weapons.

A further absurdity would be the need for "electronic surveillance", and more importantly, to whom it would signal/report. I'm damned sure that the police wouldn't be monitoring your alarm system, leaving the next available option as a "security" business. If they were aware that in the event of an alarm there was going to be the distinct possibility that firearms would be involved, do you think they would turn up? And how far away would they be, anyway?
Yep, it all seems so logical.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 22 Dec 2018, 6:41 am

Sorry; when I said 'electronic surveillance', I was more of the mind of having some form of record of who access the weapons.
Something along the lines of a wireless video camera with remote storage.

Not actual real-time monitoring, which I think is pointless and impractical once you are a few minutes out of a CBD.

I believe that insurance companies can change your premiums; based upon whether you have home/car security or not...
I would've thought that a LAFO who demonstrated they were recording every ingress/egress of the storage, would be recognized by Weapons Licensing.

Apparently not, but I dont think keeping electronic record of access to a storage facility is a bad thing.
[Again; talking about storage requirements for more than 30 weapons here.]
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2018, 12:54 pm

bigrich wrote:...personally , i subscribe to the belief the fewer the better as you are more proficiant with rifles you use more . JMHO :thumbsup:

That's why I decided I wanted all my hunting rifles in the same platform with the same scope.

But I also enjoy a _lot_ of variety :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ponkychonk » 22 Dec 2018, 2:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
gunnnie wrote:After reading through various posts over the past several months, it struck me that the topic of just how many can one own on a standard license, is akin to how long is a piece of string!

I'm not aware of any limit on Cat A/B or H.
In Victoria they will hold your sixteenth CatB PtA and require a letter of explanation, although such is not written in the laws.
There are security restrictions based on the number of firearms you own though.

I don't understand, here in WA we have to provide a thorough and complete justification for every single firearm we buy, regardless of whether we own 1 or 50 guns already. Is that not the case elsewhere?
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2018, 2:37 pm

ponkychonk wrote:I don't understand, here in WA we have to provide a thorough and complete justification for every single firearm we buy, regardless of whether we own 1 or 50 guns already. Is that not the case elsewhere?

Not here in Victoria. Just put Hunting/Target on the PtA.
CatA they don't care at all, we can own as many shotguns and rimfires as we can fit in the house.
I'm picking up another CatA early next year but I'm not expecting to have to give additional information on future CatB purchases.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2018, 2:46 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:I had a lengthy discussion with the WL gents when I was audited roughly 10 years ago.

30 was the upper limit; beyond that, and the safes(bolted to the building) I currently had in a locked wooden room werent going to be considered sufficient.

In exploring what WOULD be sufficient, it seemed that a shipping container on it's own, wasnt considered enough.

The thought was (and I havent explored this any further) a shipping container would need to have a door substantially improved for security/access, and the container itself would need to be permanently affixed to the ground.
The thought was likely steel posts concreted into the ground, and the Shipping Container then welded to the uprights.

I then pointed out the absurdity of this; our main shed packed with a collection of angle grinders, a plasma cutter, oxy set, and sitting nearby, a 15-ton 4WD loader & backhoe.
Even if I met all of the WL requirements, I could see how a determined soul could get inside the storage unit within minutes.
The WL gents indicated they didnt care; as long as the storage met the requirements, the fact it could all be bypassed was irrelevant.
I was surprised that electronic surveillance wasnt considered important; even at that stage.

My dealer used a pair of 10ft containers for his gun safes. When he closed shop I asked about buying one for a "secure room" but he did not believe it would qualify, despite being significantly modified for the job. It was only considered sufficient because it was inside a gun shop, with the much higher level of security that requires. If you put an ISO container inside your house behind locked doors I would think it would be considered sufficient to be considered a safe, after modifying the hinges and locking system.

There is a bloke here in Traralgon that does container modifications for various purposes and my dealer suggested I talk to him about whether it is actually possible to build a container that would comply as a secure room.

I have the same situation here, a flashing light and siren will not attract anybody's attention out here. We have a horny bull across the road that has been making more noise all night just lately :-)

DFO said the same to me, doesnt matter, we only have to tick the box that says you have a security system that complies with the Firearms Act. They do take note of any additional security precautions though - like the CCTV system. We do not require a monitored system here in Victoria.
Last edited by bladeracer on 22 Dec 2018, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2018, 2:54 pm

No1_49er wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote:I was surprised that electronic surveillance wasnt considered important; even at that stage.

A further absurdity would be the need for "electronic surveillance", and more importantly, to whom it would signal/report. I'm damned sure that the police wouldn't be monitoring your alarm system, leaving the next available option as a "security" business. If they were aware that in the event of an alarm there was going to be the distinct possibility that firearms would be involved, do you think they would turn up? And how far away would they be, anyway?

We have a potentially slight advantage if we decided to go monitored. We have a quarry just up the road that have a security vehicle visit several times during the night, and across the weekend. If we went with them it's possible they might be reasonably close if there was an incident. But, I can't see them hanging around for an hour or more to prevent the thieves from returning after security leaves the property. I also can't see an individual being able to do anything more threatening than standing and watching the thieves taking my stuff anyway. Thieves in OZ are well aware that we are not allowed to use force to prevent them stealing our stuff, we can only use force if they attack us physically. It might be useful to have a security guard on site though to assist the thieves so they don't injure themselves and sue me.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 22 Dec 2018, 7:04 pm

ponkychonk wrote:
I don't understand, here in WA we have to provide a thorough and complete justification for every single firearm we buy, regardless of whether we own 1 or 50 guns already. Is that not the case elsewhere?

No. In NSW you just put a PTA in and as long as you are currently licensed and compliant, it goes through. Though on the new online system it does require a "reason" with a drop down menu to choose..ie "additional firearm"

Talking about rifles however; there is no specific limit I know of (someone I know has 70) but with handguns after a certain number you will be queried on necessity for the discipline intended.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ponkychonk » 22 Dec 2018, 8:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:
ponkychonk wrote:I don't understand, here in WA we have to provide a thorough and complete justification for every single firearm we buy, regardless of whether we own 1 or 50 guns already. Is that not the case elsewhere?

Not here in Victoria. Just put Hunting/Target on the PtA.
CatA they don't care at all, we can own as many shotguns and rimfires as we can fit in the house.
I'm picking up another CatA early next year but I'm not expecting to have to give additional information on future CatB purchases.

Holy s**t I didn't realise how absolutely f***ed WA is
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by trekin » 23 Dec 2018, 4:33 am

bladeracer wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

We have a potentially slight advantage if we decided to go monitored. We have a quarry just up the road that have a security vehicle visit several times during the night, and across the weekend. If we went with them it's possible they might be reasonably close if there was an incident. But, I can't see them hanging around for an hour or more to prevent the thieves from returning after security leaves the property. I also can't see an individual being able to do anything more threatening than standing and watching the thieves taking my stuff anyway. Thieves in OZ are well aware that we are not allowed to use force to prevent them stealing our stuff, we can only use force if they attack us physically. It might be useful to have a security guard on site though to assist the thieves so they don't injure themselves and sue me.

Well you might have a slight advantage, IF, the security will actually attend an alarm event. Up here in QLD, they start ringing down the list of key holders first, until they get someone, tell you that there has been an alarm event, and then tell you that they can send a vehicle to do a drive by, if you want them to. But they won't enter until the key holder or police (which you have to ring) arrive. However, up here, our Common Law Right to use force (any force) to stop or remove persons we reasonably believe to be entering or in our homes with the intent to commit an indictable offence, is still recognised. As is the Common Law Right not to be sued for damages done to the perp, or his property, duing his commissioning of the crime.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 12:04 pm

ponkychonk wrote:Holy s**t I didn't realise how absolutely f***ed WA is

I did. I originally got my firearms licence in WA, then moved to South Australia. Unfortunately I moved back to WA. Firearms are ridiculously controlled in WA unless you're happy to do all your shooting at ranges, so I only shot IPSC pistols while I was there. Most of the hunters I knew in WA were hunting illegally with rifles owned via competition licencing. When I was working in the Kimberly, contractors coming up from Perth would join a club to get a licence and a rifle and bring it up for some hunting. Others would borrow unregistered rifles and shotguns from the unlicenced locals. This is a problem _caused_ by the ridiculous draconian laws.

Moving to Victoria is an eye opener from the moment you walk into the Police station to ask about a firearms licence - it's all just so much easier :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws