Cast bullets in .303

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Cast bullets in .303

Post by Stoney » 21 Dec 2018, 6:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
gunnnie wrote:Have you considered paper patching those .311" cast projos? This would add the nneeded girth to help seal the projo in the rifling as well as possibly improving accuracy.

I've never done it myself but it isn't an unusual method when it comes to shooting cast pills.

Hadn't considered using TB in a 32-20! Very interesting. I'm using 2205 behind Redback 115gn coated cast FN pills. Out of my 1892 Winchester this combo works well, but your comment has picqued my interest.

I am planning on shooting cast in several of my 303's also, so will be keen to read more or your pathway to knowledge in this regard.

I have paper-patched other bullets, but I think you would want a smaller-diameter bullet to be able to patch it. I paper patched .243" jacketed bullets up to .270" for the Carcano with decent results.

I have a box of 400 gunnie, that's a lot of patching :lol: Just out of interest, what type of paper do you use blade? I like that old school big game hunter look of patched bullets.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 8:23 pm

Stoney wrote:I have a box of 400 gunnie, that's a lot of patching :lol: Just out of interest, what type of paper do you use blade? I like that old school big game hunter look of patched bullets.

I just used copy paper. It's a fiddly way to do it but it got me shooting the old girl while I was waiting for bullets that worked.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 21 Dec 2018, 9:03 pm

in2anity wrote:I honestly think the .313” 115gr 32-20 bb bullets over say 9-10gr AP70N might actually work... If you lik I could send you a handful to try

Would I need to add a filler to that load?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 22 Dec 2018, 1:34 pm

Stoney wrote:
in2anity wrote:I honestly think the .313” 115gr 32-20 bb bullets over say 9-10gr AP70N might actually work... If you lik I could send you a handful to try

A partial fill of AP70N is ok - it’s not as position sensitive as many rifle powders. I’ve never used filler
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 22 Dec 2018, 7:23 pm

in2anity wrote:
Stoney wrote:

A partial fill of AP70N is ok - it’s not as position sensitive as many rifle powders. I’ve never used filler

Ok, thanks for that in2anity. I will buy that powder if it is not a ton of hassels :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 22 Dec 2018, 8:55 pm

Stoney wrote:Ok, thanks for that in2anity. I will buy that powder if it is not a ton of hassels :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Start with TB I reckon - it should shoot pretty well with that (in theory) ;)
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition