Safe audit WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Safe audit WA

Post by duncan61 » 18 Dec 2018, 9:15 pm

I received a call from firearms today to do a safe audit.Its going down 10am Friday morning I will post and report on how it went :D :D
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Re: audit

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2018, 9:52 pm

duncan61 wrote:I received a call from firearms today to do a safe audit.Its going down 10am Friday morning I will post and report on how it went :D :D

Double check everything, including empty cases and if the missus isn't licensed make sure she has no idea where the keys to the safe are located. Good luck and remember to clench those butt cheeks :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 19 Dec 2018, 10:28 pm

I only have my 3 gun safe and 3 rifles at this address everything else is at an industrial workshop I dont have access too.Could be interesting
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by PaddyT » 20 Dec 2018, 7:21 am

Just had my first inspection by NSW police yesterday, officers were very polite (one a bit more standoffish than the other), they waited for me to get home(they were ten minutes early), checked serial numbers, counted the bolts holding the safe in place, only issue i had was there is one more rifle in the safe than my wife knew about but she was outside hanging the washing on the line! So all good with the police and all good with the minister of war!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bazooker » 20 Dec 2018, 8:55 am

I always make a point of showing them the empty spare magazines as well.

Good Luck.

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 20 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm

PaddyT wrote:Just had my first inspection by NSW police yesterday, officers were very polite (one a bit more standoffish than the other), they waited for me to get home(they were ten minutes early), checked serial numbers, counted the bolts holding the safe in place, only issue i had was there is one more rifle in the safe than my wife knew about but she was outside hanging the washing on the line! So all good with the police and all good with the minister of war!

The old good cop bad cop routine still works, lucky for you the bad cop was hanging the washing :lol:

When I had my first check I had an unexperienced lady and a much older bloke, as I handed my firearms over from the safe for them to check the numbers I did the normal thing of opening the action to show them it was unloaded, after the second rifle the bloke said "you dont need to keep doing that", I politely ignored him.
Bigjobss

Post by PaddyT » 21 Dec 2018, 6:35 am

Funny you say that, i showed them all 3 as being clear (bolts out anyway)and the grumpy one rolled his eyes on the third rifle, I always thought safety comes first!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 21 Dec 2018, 9:13 am

can we really blame them though. beat cops (especially aussies ones) deal with a lot of different stuff. firearms related stuff might be < 10% of all the time they spend on duty. They should send someone out from the FAR to do inspections who actually knows which end goes bang.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Dec 2018, 9:43 am

You mean less than 1% lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 21 Dec 2018, 9:44 am

Yeah we can blame them , they do have the power to issue a breach and then take away our firearms, so hell yeah they should be attentive and follow procedure- infact they should have a std operating procedure then its no mystery to an owner as to what they will be checking!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 21 Dec 2018, 9:53 am

PaddyT wrote:Yeah we can blame them , they do have the power to issue a breach and then take away our firearms, so hell yeah they should be attentive and follow procedure- infact they should have a std operating procedure then its no mystery to an owner as to what they will be checking!

Most cops don't care about guns. Heck they can't even use their sidearm effectively. As much as we'd love them to have an understanding of the pillars of gun safety and not rolling their eyes when we clear each gun in front of them, those wishes aren't realistic i think.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 21 Dec 2018, 10:33 am

Yeah , you are right but i still reckon they should have a SOP to follow, save them and us a lot of confusion
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 21 Dec 2018, 10:41 am

PaddyT wrote:Yeah , you are right but i still reckon they should have a SOP to follow, save them and us a lot of confusion

Compleatly agree. If the po-po can't be bothered sending knowledgeable officers about firearms to conduct an audit, at least give them a f***ing paper cheat sheet for what to do.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by doc » 21 Dec 2018, 11:35 am

duncan61 wrote:I only have my 3 gun safe and 3 rifles at this address everything else is at an industrial workshop I dont have access too.Could be interesting

I'd say you'll be fine. They may want to make an arrangement for another time to check - but most likely not as most cops understand that this is just as much as a waste of time as what we do. It takes them away from doing real policing, and it's done primarily as a publicity stunt to keep certain political activists happy in appearing as though they're contributing to the reduction of gun crime. They've just got to tick a box that they've done a visit.

You know... the same political activists who keep on insisting that the majority of gun crime is done either by licenced firearm owners, or guns stolen from licensed firearm owners - even though the stats show this to be only 3%.

Still, let us know how you go.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by duncan61 » 21 Dec 2018, 12:11 pm

It went well My safe was not compliant but they have given me a week to replace it and I have already found a replacement I forgot we modified the hinge system on my old one.There is no issue with me having the rest of my stuff stored at a seperate address.they were polite and knowledgeable and they monitor this site like hawks to see what we are all up too.Lesson learned
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Dec 2018, 12:30 pm

Ohhh crap
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Dec 2018, 1:01 pm

duncan61 wrote:........... and they monitor this site like hawks to see what we are all up too.Lesson learned

How did that subject enter the process?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 21 Dec 2018, 1:28 pm

duncan61 wrote: and they monitor this site like hawks to see what we are all up too.Lesson learned

Pretty much proves the point that registration is nothing more than to control the law abiding. Just a pity there wasn't a forum site/webpages just for the criminally inclined that they could monitor with the same amount of enthusiasm.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Dec 2018, 2:20 pm

trekin wrote:Just a pity there wasn't a forum site/webpages just for the criminally inclined that they could monitor with the same amount of enthusiasm.

The dark web Trekkin, is just that sort of place.

My question was how this specific site, and the alleged close monitoring, came up in a safe storage inspection.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 21 Dec 2018, 4:16 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
trekin wrote:Just a pity there wasn't a forum site/webpages just for the criminally inclined that they could monitor with the same amount of enthusiasm.

The dark web Trekkin, is just that sort of place.

My question was how this specific site, and the alleged close monitoring, came up in a safe storage inspection.

"I know nothing" (in the best Sgt Schulze voice, while speaking to the lampshade) of this dark web you speak of :allegedly: I could think of a few ways this topic may have come up, but this would only be speculation on my behalf. Would be much better hearing from the goose's mouth (mixed metaphor, no disrepect for the OP).
Edit to add, I know the police (State and Federal, pro and anti) are openly active in monitoring most of the FB/ MeWe sites I'm a member of.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 21 Dec 2018, 5:55 pm

gunsafe.jpg
gunsafe.jpg (153.63 KiB) Viewed 5579 times
I worked with my son today and guess what I learned.They monitor everything and have the I P address and know what room you were in when you posted.I wont be posting pictures of dead animals unless they are all cleaned up and looking happy.On the fishing site I use we are asked to clean up the fish so the photos are not gory.DB was right if I keep my head in the sand my bottom will be bitten.I have the new safe already which will be put at the workshop and I am getting another one Sunday to replace my old one at the house.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 5:58 pm

duncan61 wrote:
gunsafe.jpg
I worked with my son today and guess what I learned.They monitor everything and have the I P address and know what room you were in when you posted.I wont be posting pictures of dead animals unless they are all cleaned up and looking happy.On the fishing site I use we are asked to clean up the fish so the photos are not gory.DB was right if I keep my head in the sand my bottom will be bitten.I have the new safe already which will be put at the workshop and I am getting another one Sunday to replace my old one at the house.

Always assume anything you say online can be used against you.
An external hinge?
Has that been inspected and passed as okay before?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 21 Dec 2018, 6:00 pm

I will answer your question Gaz the senior constable looked at me intensely when we were done and stated we monitor all websites be careful what you post.It was the other policeman that was chatting about shooting and forums he is on a few.I never mentioned Enough gun not that it would matter anything public can be followed
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 6:04 pm

duncan61 wrote:...anything public can be followed

Even "private" forums can be followed.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 21 Dec 2018, 6:08 pm

No Blade I had forgotten my mate had done it.Its all good,we will tech screw it to the trailer when we go south and store firearms in it like we used to so we can eat at the roadhouse without someone having to be at the car.The internal hinges are still there but modified so it opens.I am getting a good newer safe Sunday to replace it and the other one will be offered to my deceased mates son complete with a co user form and his dads rifles.I will keep the keys till it is all sorted then he will be responsible for his fathers gear.It is all on my licence at the moment,The police were efficient and fair I am pleased to report and understood the situation and have given me time to sort it
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Dec 2018, 6:15 pm

Fair enough mate, I don't doubt it, just wondered.
:thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 21 Dec 2018, 6:31 pm

I got one laugh the senior kept referring to them as weapons so I called him on it as they are firearms so today they are firearms tomorrow they will be weapons again
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Dec 2018, 9:55 am

I'd just keep in mind police are people just like us trying to make a living, families etc. Most are very good a few not so good. Policeing is known to be very stressful at times. They are just doing their job. It's the politicians that make the law.

Do your best to abide by the (confusing) rules, be polite and it should be OK.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Dec 2018, 10:49 am

I tell you what I for one wouldn't like to have their job the abuse they receive at times from people is stupid its of no wonder some get cranky but yes 'the cranky one should do it more professional rather than take it out on the good people
The two we have locally are good blokes but mind you do everything right they can be your friend but they do have a job to do
As far as monitoring the sites and forums well it is open for all to see there's no confidentiality act signed when joining these forums
If you were of the type of person that likes to flaunt the laws then you would be mad to brag on this forum or any other and if it was to the point of affecting others on the forum then I doubt you would be welcome on that site because you would bring unwanted notoriety to that site
The biggest thing I see with audits on guns and safes is the interpretation of the law by different officers some times little things can be interpreted
differently depending on mood at the time I would like the GLB to put out an A4 paper to list the requirements expected on auditing days
so people can make that their every day requirement and it would be hard to become complacent because of having to chase info on the net and
rely on second hand info I know the laws are there but a list that could be sat on the safe door to jog the memory every time you enter the safe
Just a thought :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by trekin » 23 Dec 2018, 11:18 am

Such a list would still be dependant of someones interuptation of the laws. Best thing I find, is to copy the appropriate Section from the Act, each States' Acts are avialable from their State Govt websites for download, and if questioned about something at an inspection, hand the copy to the officer and politely ask where you have contravined said Section.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Western Australia gun laws