.223 and 22-250 Bunnies.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

.223 and 22-250 Bunnies.

Post by Elmer » 23 Dec 2018, 3:51 pm

Here is a couple of vids using the .223 and 22-250, on the same set of Warrens, a big feral cat had moved in and decimated the kitten population , fortunately the .223 took care of him, unfortunately I didnt get it on film and he had just enough energy to crawl down one of the burrows....he was shot at 355yds.
cheers.
https://youtu.be/rF3rRJ5gtt4 https://youtu.be/Ypdl8x-MfWg
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: .223 and 22-250 Bunnies.

Post by Daddybang » 23 Dec 2018, 6:34 pm

Just a little bit of Mirage there Elmer. .she's also still a dry dusty old time by the looks of it. ..always enjoy "watching ya shoot" :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Growler » 23 Dec 2018, 6:38 pm

Saw these on you tube today. How much do your rounds drift from 24kph cross wind over that distance mate?
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by marksman » 23 Dec 2018, 7:01 pm

very impressive shooting Elmer :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 23 Dec 2018, 8:59 pm

Daddybang wrote:Just a little bit of Mirage there Elmer. .she's also still a dry dusty old time by the looks of it. ..always enjoy "watching ya shoot" :thumbsup: :drinks:

The mirage is always present during summer turning them into fuzzy blobs...You got that right mate, we did have half an inch about a week ago, a good two or three more would be a God send, glad you enjoy the vids.
cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 23 Dec 2018, 9:14 pm

Growler wrote:Saw these on you tube today. How much do your rounds drift from 24kph cross wind over that distance mate?

Hi mate, the 22-250 drifted about 16inches ( 40cms) at 410yds.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 23 Dec 2018, 9:14 pm

christ almighty, the sound of the wind howling on the vid says it all . you must've practiced alot .
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 23 Dec 2018, 9:15 pm

marksman wrote:very impressive shooting Elmer :thumbsup: :drinks:

Cheers marksman.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 24 Dec 2018, 12:43 pm

bigrich wrote:christ almighty, the sound of the wind howling on the vid says it all . you must've practiced alot .

It was mate, but I'm used to the wind , I find it easier to shoot in the wind than a day with a gentle breeze.
I'm out there most weekends , the farmers I know are good blokes and said I can go on their land anytime whenever and wherever I like. :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Dec 2018, 11:33 am

Elmer wrote:Here is a couple of vids using the .223 and 22-250, on the same set of Warrens, a big feral cat had moved in and decimated the kitten population , fortunately the .223 took care of him, unfortunately I didnt get it on film and he had just enough energy to crawl down one of the burrows....he was shot at 355yds.
cheers.

Wow! Very impressive.
I find it very difficult to judge wind as it seems to always be gusting and changing velocity, just as im about to pull the trigger...but you sir? - hats off!!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Elmer » 27 Dec 2018, 7:07 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Elmer wrote:Here is a couple of vids using the .223 and 22-250, on the same set of Warrens, a big feral cat had moved in and decimated the kitten population , fortunately the .223 took care of him, unfortunately I didnt get it on film and he had just enough energy to crawl down one of the burrows....he was shot at 355yds.
cheers.

Wow! Very impressive.
I find it very difficult to judge wind as it seems to always be gusting and changing velocity, just as im about to pull the trigger...but you sir? - hats off!!

Thanks Tassie,
Do you have an Anemometer? What I do is when I do a,wind reading and adjust the scope for the wind speed , I will wait by keeping an eye on the anemometer snd then when it's close enough to the initial reading I will fire the shot.
cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Uber_petey » 28 Dec 2018, 7:25 am

Awesome vids mate. What optics are you using?
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 28 Dec 2018, 10:50 am

Uber_petey wrote:Awesome vids mate. What optics are you using?

Thanks mate......Leupold VIII 6 5-20X 50 LR Target 30mm tube ,side parallax adj Varmint reticle.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Uber_petey » 29 Dec 2018, 2:34 pm

Elmer wrote:

Thanks mate......Leupold VIII 6 5-20X 50 LR Target 30mm tube ,side parallax adj Varmint reticle.

Nice. I love the idea of setting up a few hundred yards away and sniping off rabbits and or foxes. I have bought a Howa varmint barrel .223 and am struggling with a scope choice. It's my first rifle so I have no other scopes to compare etc blokes I know use nightforce shv which is outta my $$ range. The meopta meopro 6-18x50 is a possibility. What power do you find yourself using most of the time?
With that 6-20x power, what's the closest range you'd take shots with?
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Dec 2018, 4:32 pm

Elmer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
cheers.

Wow! Very impressive.

Thanks Tassie,
Do you have an Anemometer? What I do is when I do a,wind reading and adjust the scope for the wind speed , I will wait by keeping an eye on the anemometer snd then when it's close enough to the initial reading I will fire the shot.
cheers.

I have borrowed a meter previously but where I shoot it’s quite heavily timbered, then open, then timbered and so on so it is unpredictable...But even if I had a meter that worked adequately, consistent wind and a 1000 experience points - I doubt I’d come close to reading the wind like you have done here - it sounds Gail force!!!!
I recall reading some sniper books over the last couple of years and all of those top end shooters comment re the wind being the hardest factor to allow for, bar nothing else, so again - hats off to you sir.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Harrynsw » 29 Dec 2018, 9:45 pm

Wow! Pretty freaking amazing!
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 30 Dec 2018, 6:26 pm

Uber_petey wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Nice. I love the idea of setting up a few hundred yards away and sniping off rabbits and or foxes. I have bought a Howa varmint barrel .223 and am struggling with a scope choice. It's my first rifle so I have no other scopes to compare etc blokes I know use nightforce shv which is outta my $$ range. The meopta meopro 6-18x50 is a possibility. What power do you find yourself using most of the time?

I reckon a 6-18x is a good choice, I once had a meopta on a 308 and found the optics crystal clear.
It would be a great choice for your Howa...Nightforce are excellent but are very pricey, and belong on rifles like sako TRGs and HS precision.
I dont reckon you need anymore power than 18x for a .223, on my .223 I have a Leupold 4-12x and use it almost exclusively on 12x.
For the 22-250 I have the scope on 16x out to 500 then on 20 past that.
Have you checked out Leupold?, all my rifles have them and they have never given any problems, with a lifetime warranty and a service center in Queensland your pretty much covered.
The optics are excellent and for bunny sniping, the turret adjustments are precise and reliable.
The closest I have shot bunnies with the 250 is 275yds and with the .223 100yds.
Cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 30 Dec 2018, 6:39 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Elmer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
cheers.

Wow! Very impressive.

Thanks Tassie,
cheers.

I have borrowed a meter previously but where I shoot it’s quite heavily timbered, then open, then timbered and so on so it is unpredictable...But even if I had a meter that worked adequately, consistent wind and a 1000 experience points - I doubt I’d come close to reading the wind like you have done here - it sounds Gail force!!!!
I recall reading some sniper books over the last couple of years and all of those top end shooters comment re the wind being the hardest factor to allow for, bar nothing else, so again - hats off to you sir.

Thanks again mate, the hardest shots for me are when the wind is blowing straight towards or away from you which changes direction from left to right ,right to left only subtly but enough to throw the bullet off course, especially past 300.
atb.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by xDom » 28 Jan 2019, 12:55 pm

cheers.

Impressive. I'm looking forward to doing some long range bunny shooting with my .223 on my next trip to the farm.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 28 Jan 2019, 11:19 pm

mint work there. May I ask how you film the shots?
Im keen to do a bit of this up the farm
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Jan 2019, 8:56 am

Uber_petey wrote:
Elmer wrote:

G'day Petey,
I have a Hawke 10-50×60 on my Howa .223 and it will focus razor sharp from 10m.
Hawke make a lot of air rifle scopes and their focal range is the best I've seen.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control