priming problem with Hornady cases

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

priming problem with Hornady cases

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Dec 2018, 12:08 pm

Hey guys, first time reloading Hornady 308 cases (once fired) and I'm having trouble seating the primers. Seems to need a lot of force, a couple didn't seat properly and are sitting proud. I did a quick cross check using an ADI case and it was buttery smooth and fully seated, as I've always found the ADI cases to be.

Is this common? Is there a prep step I'm missing with Hornady?
Member-Deleted

Re: priming problem with Hornady cases

Post by JimTom » 23 Dec 2018, 12:28 pm

Have you checked that the primer pockets are all up to spec?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 12:41 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Hey guys, first time reloading Hornady 308 cases (once fired) and I'm having trouble seating the primers. Seems to need a lot of force, a couple didn't seat properly and are sitting proud. I did a quick cross check using an ADI case and it was buttery smooth and fully seated, as I've always found the ADI cases to be.

Is this common? Is there a prep step I'm missing with Hornady?

I haven't had any problems with Hornady brass, but I always uniform the primer pockets during brass prep.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 23 Dec 2018, 12:48 pm

Lyman have primer pocket reamers and uniforming tools mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 23 Dec 2018, 1:59 pm

I had problems with Hornady match 168Gn ammo cases when I reloaded them the first time.
They took quite a lot of effort to de-prime, and I still dont know if they had been slightly crimped.
At the time, someone suggested Hornady do crimp the primer pockets on certain product lines to ensure they feed through an AR rifle safely.
[Never verified this for certain]

I ended up running a primer-pocket uniforming tool through them all, and never had any problems with them afterwards.
Next reload, they seated just fine.
Something like this: http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/product ... large.html
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 23 Dec 2018, 2:43 pm

Rod that tool is for making all the primer pockets the same depth
you may have knocked the crimp off as you inserted it :unknown:

the tool you need is a primer pocket reamer
these ones are lyman but the are many different brands
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 23 Dec 2018, 2:45 pm

I’ve had this problem before also specifically with Hornsby brass - there’s a primer pocket tool you can get to basically open them up a fraction
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 23 Dec 2018, 2:59 pm

marksman wrote:Rod that tool is for making all the primer pockets the same depth

i bought the lyman primer cleaning tool with those in. i have only had to use these once on federal 222 brass that was crimped lightly and 308 federal that had the blue glue around the primer area . i quite like hornady products, but this isn't the first problem i've heard of with their brass. talking to stoney the other day and the pockets on his 303 hornady brass is a little loose :unknown: . i bite the bullet and get norma brass as cheap as i can find it. it's always been perfect straight out of the bag. i neck size it in case the neck is a little out of shape, but case length is uniform at min trim length and ready to go :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 3:06 pm

marksman wrote:Rod that tool is for making all the primer pockets the same depth

I just use a 10mm drill bit for crimped pockets.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 23 Dec 2018, 7:12 pm

I must admit that hornady cases are one I avoid because of past experiences and that there is way better brass
the tool I put the photo up of is around $20-$25 on ebay
I have heard guys who have said they use a blade screwdriver, I dont think I would use a drill bit but then I wouldn't use cases that had this problem
let us know how you go with it bangbang :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 23 Dec 2018, 7:16 pm

bigrich wrote:

i bought the lyman primer cleaning tool with those in. i have only had to use these once on federal 222 brass that was crimped lightly and 308 federal that had the blue glue around the primer area . i quite like hornady products, but this isn't the first problem i've heard of with their brass. talking to stoney the other day and the pockets on his 303 hornady brass is a little loose :unknown: . i bite the bullet and get norma brass as cheap as i can find it. it's always been perfect straight out of the bag. i neck size it in case the neck is a little out of shape, but case length is uniform at min trim length and ready to go :drinks: :thumbsup:

Hornady brass in 303B has caused me a lot of anxiety lately. Very hard to prime, two thumbs on the hand prime only to see the primer sitting very proud of the rim so I then have to have another go. Shooting development loads I was getting primers backing out and cratering on sub-sonic loads but not some much higher pressure loads. This is my post on the problem thinking that it was a headspace problem. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11026
But I sat down and had a good think about the culprit and realised the primer pockets are the problem. I had some S&B once fired brass so I tried that. Squeeze, Squeeze, Pop. Every one. Uniform seating of the primer. And guess what? No backing out of one primer at all.
.303 brass is certainly not the cheapest brass around, AND I bought up big knowing they will probably get dearer, ALSO, in military oversized chambers they don't last long at full tilt.
When I now get primer setback or cratering in my Hornady cases I just ignore it and look for other indicators . I guess Hornady is just becoming another price point manufacturer.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 24 Dec 2018, 6:45 am

Primer cup brass is quite thin and soft.
Whenever primers are difficult to start into the primer pocket it is because the initial entry into the primer pocket has insufficient radius. So only the slightest misalignment of the primer with the primer pocket causes difficult seating of the primer. Things get even worse if the the primer has a slight burr on the outer rim of the cup.
I have found that jiggling the case a little to allow the primer to line up sometimes helps.
The tools illustrated by others are useful.
There is also a primer pocket swage tool from RCBS that does an OK job on ex military brass. At a pinch you can just use a case mouth chamfering tool although with some brands you might need to grind off a bit of the tip.
The primer pocket uniforming tool on it's own won't solve this particular problem but it will allow correctly seating the primer by bottoming it correctly so that it takes the full force of the firing blow without loss of energy by further seating of the primer which will contribute to good consistent ignition.
When the primers are going into the pocket with difficulty chances are that they are being forced in unsymmetrically and there is a high probability that the primer pellet contained in the primer is being cracked or otherwise deranged in relation to the anvil which cannot assist good ignition.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition