22 Hornet

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Dec 2018, 9:16 pm

That Ruger #3 sounds cool, perhaps I need something like that. Does it use a Ruger extractor or did you have an extractor made to suit?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 23 Dec 2018, 9:50 pm

Ruger produced the No3 as a standard listing, in 22 Hornet. Think the No3's were made up until the mid to late 80's. Saw one at the last gunshow in Penrith & it was going for $1200. Didn't think it was worth anywhere near worth that much.

Had considered buying one as I'm a fan of the Ruger single shots. But the No3 is pretty plain compared to it's big brother the No1. So a No1 in 25-06 was bought instead.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 24 Dec 2018, 4:44 am

gunnnie wrote:Ruger produced the No3 as a standard listing, in 22 Hornet. Think the No3's were made up until the mid to late 80's. Saw one at the last gunshow in Penrith & it was going for $1200. Didn't think it was worth anywhere near worth that much.

Had considered buying one as I'm a fan of the Ruger single shots. But the No3 is pretty plain compared to it's big brother the No1. So a No1 in 25-06 was bought instead.

You are spot on, gunnie, Ruger did offer the #3 as a standard listing. I got mine because I have one, a #3, in 45/70 and wanted and wanted the other end of the spectrum. Neither are scoped which might be one reason the Ruger doesn't group as tight as the Sako. They share the same profile with the hornet being noticably heavier, and the 45/70 a bit stouter in recoil.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Dec 2018, 10:58 pm

I did not know they made one as a factory chambering, I will have to keep an eye out. Can never have too many #1s.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 25 Dec 2018, 4:14 pm

I have two 22hornets and the 17H as well. I do run a 223 as well but the hornet family are a lot more fun and cheap to reload. They did what I need them to do with no fuss.

Not much not to like

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Maxjon » 16 Mar 2020, 9:57 pm

What about the 221 FB??
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by northdude » 19 Apr 2020, 5:55 pm

bit late ive got 2 hornets 1 is a nef handi rifle heavy barrel and the other is a krico over here its legal to shoot stuff you guys arent allowed to i shoot possums when they are on the ground magpies and goats its a good caliber and one of my favourites
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics