surveillance cameras

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

surveillance cameras

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 24 Dec 2018, 6:30 am

I'm looking at getting a surveillance camera/system for the house and sheds.

How many of you gents use surveillance?
Anyone got a brand they recommend?

I'm actually thinking of using a 3g trail cam, so I can throw the sim card in when I'm away and receive photos to the phone
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: surveillance cameras

Post by straightshooter » 24 Dec 2018, 6:52 am

Every now and then Aldi do a home surveillance system with 4 or more outdoor cameras that is also web enabled. The last one I saw was for under $200.
When they next come up I will be buying a couple.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Dec 2018, 9:29 am

Goto whirlpool forum. There are lots of threads there. I amm also investigating this ants from my looking at it, the result depends on the quality of equipment. Aka a $200 system will be ok in day light but not at night or when dark. Also do you want to be able to see their faces and number plates clearly or just good enough to read the numbers. Lastly do you want cameras that can move with motion detection. Lots of question... millions of answers
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Dec 2018, 9:54 am

Little Acorn
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 24 Dec 2018, 9:56 am

Ziad wrote:Goto whirlpool forum. There are lots of threads there. I amm also investigating this ants from my looking at it, the result depends on the quality of equipment. Aka a $200 system will be ok in day light but not at night or when dark. Also do you want to be able to see their faces and number plates clearly or just good enough to read the numbers. Lastly do you want cameras that can move with motion detection. Lots of question... millions of answers

Yeah I'm wanting a camera that will give me a photo clear enough to read a number plate. My house and sheds are against a gully and you can only drive up to them from the driveway, so my thinking is I'd like to have a camera set up that'll get a picture/video of any vehicle that comes up to the house & sheds
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Col » 24 Dec 2018, 10:54 am

Kelsey

We have been using the Reconyx brand cameras which have been good especially for the numberplate issue. Although we didn't have the ability to send to a phone (no coverage when we bought the cameras). One issue to note is hiding the camera so they cannot see the camera or it's silhouette and the need to get them to slow down a bit. A big pot hole or gate helps then you can get their faces or number plate.
Another thing is not to place the camera at eye height as they can often see them. Put it up high because people tend not to look up or down low for that matter.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions PM me.

Cheers

Col
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Dec 2018, 4:19 pm

I installed a relatively cheap eBay ZMODO at home - 12 cams. Works fantastically. So much so that I’ve now installed 6 additional systems for family and friends.
They have everything you need without having high end stuff you don’t.
Simple stuff = POE is brilliant(saves additional power points), day/night auto switching, at least a TB hard drive, remote access for live viewing and playback as well as emailed alarms...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation