Try to find a cartridge

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Try to find a cartridge

Post by Harrynsw » 22 Dec 2018, 5:03 pm

Hey folks, first time poster...
Try to find out where in Sydney I can get Hornady GMX in 223 or something similar with good penetration in a factory load .
Cheers.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Try to find a cartridge

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 3:14 pm

Harrynsw wrote:Hey folks, first time poster...
Try to find out where in Sydney I can get Hornady GMX in 223 or something similar with go penetration.
Cheers.

Bullets or cartridges?
I would just order them from your dealer or online rather than drive around a city looking for somebody that has some.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 23 Dec 2018, 5:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:Hey folks, first time poster...
Try to find out where in Sydney I can get Hornady GMX in 223 or something similar with go penetration.
Cheers.

Bullets or cartridges?
I would just order them from your dealer or online rather than drive around a city looking for somebody that has some.

Thanks blade racer, I was after some thing ready to shoot, havnt advanced to reloading yet. Did not think to order them in :roll:
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Dec 2018, 8:18 pm

Why do you want GMX? Is this Superformace ammo? What are you using them on that needs this type of performance. Is Hornady TAP suitable for what you are doing?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 23 Dec 2018, 9:37 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Why do you want GMX? Is this Superformace ammo? What are you using them on that needs this type of performance. Is Hornady TAP suitable for what you are doing?

My 223 is scoped in with 60 grain tap, which my rifle like and does well on everything up to goats, have not shot a pig with it but from what I know about the round the projectile isn't much of a penetrator. (If I'm wrong please tell me otherwise and yes I know 223 is not a pig round).
So I plan to use something that retains its mass, or most of it and penetrates, depending on what my rifle likes (I can hear the missus screaming already about how much money iv spent trying to find the right ammo) and have my scope marked where both loads are set.
Last edited by Harrynsw on 23 Dec 2018, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 23 Dec 2018, 9:38 pm

This is at 50m
Attachments
aviary-image-1545550015027.jpeg
aviary-image-1545550015027.jpeg (399.3 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 23 Dec 2018, 11:59 pm

I saw a target very much like that at ST Marys on Saturday arvo
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Dec 2018, 5:37 am

pomemax wrote:I saw a target very much like that at ST Marys on Saturday arvo

Hahaha Yes that was me, were you the bloke who was a couple of cubicles to my left?
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 24 Dec 2018, 6:39 am

Gday Harry :welcome: aboard :drinks:
The .223 is actually a capable pig round within its limits especially when you can shoot like the target above :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Dec 2018, 7:23 am

Daddybang wrote:Gday Harry :welcome: aboard :drinks:
The .223 is actually a capable pig round within its limits especially when you can shoot like the target above :thumbsup: :drinks:

Thanks for the welcome Daddybang
I have no doubt of the 223 capabilities, just the round I'm scoped in with (60 grain polymer tip Hornady TAP)
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Col » 24 Dec 2018, 10:57 am

FWIW use the TAP, the pig wont know the difference and if need be put a quick 2nd one into him. Shot placement is key and with targets like above you will have no worries.

Col.
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Dec 2018, 2:15 pm

Col wrote:FWIW use the TAP, the pig wont know the difference and if need be put a quick 2nd one into him. Shot placement is key and with targets like above you will have no worries.

Col.

Thanks Col
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Dec 2018, 3:19 pm

Col wrote:FWIW use the TAP, the pig wont know the difference and if need be put a quick 2nd one into him. Shot placement is key and with targets like above you will have no worries.

Col.

I agree, close in shots into the brain should be effective. The GMX is a no lead round for California shooters, it makes them very long and you have to spin them fast.

Try ADI ammo which uses 69 grain Sierra Match Kings if you want an accurate round that shoots well in most 1:8 barrels. The SMK is such a stout projectile that it is almost guaranteed to pencil through everything.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Dec 2018, 3:25 pm

SCJ429 wrote:

Col.

I agree, close in shots into the brain should be effective. The GMX is a no lead round for California shooters, it makes them very long and you have to spin them fast.

Try ADI ammo which uses 69 grain Sierra Match Kings if you want an accurate round that shoots well in most 1:8 barrels. The SMK is such a stout projectile that it is almost guaranteed to pencil through everything.

I have 1:10 twist on my rifle. She didn't like the 64 grain super x
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 24 Dec 2018, 5:16 pm

SCJ429 wrote:

Col.

SCJ429 I use the 69 grain Sierra Match Kings in my stainless laminate Tikka T3 and I just can't justify reloading. They group in one small cloverleaf at 100. :thumbsup:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics