Variance in lengths of OAL when DIE is same

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Variance in lengths of OAL when DIE is same

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Dec 2018, 5:57 pm

How come, I can set my die up for a COAL of say 79.00mm and then without changing a single thing, on the die or on the press or anything - I can get 78.70 to say 79.10 to 78.60 to 79.00 ? This is with the cases exactly the same lenght - each one measured with verniers and cut to length.
Even with brand new Lapua brass - which is quite remarkable, I end up with different oals.
Is this difference in the ogive of the projectile ?

I have noticed that my Hornady press, has a slight bit of movement in the collet and in the press itself it seems to be a tiny amount of movement and I know we are talking very small numbers but when trying to get the COAL exactly perfect, its frustrating to chase numbers back and forth...

Cheers. Tas.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Variance in lengths of OAL when DIE is same

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 6:00 pm

TassieTiger wrote:How come, I can set my die up for a COAL of say 79.00mm and then without changing a single thing, on the die or on the press or anything - I can get 78.70 to say 79.10 to 78.60 to 79.00 ? This is with the cases exactly the same lenght - each one measured with verniers and cut to length.
Even with brand new Lapua brass - which is quite remarkable, I end up with different oals.

I have noticed that my Hornady press, has a slight bit of movement in the collet and in the press itself it seems to be a tiny amount of movement and I know we are talking very small numbers but when trying to get the COAL exactly perfect, its frustrating to chase numbers back and forth...

Cheers. Tas.

If you are measuring to the point of the bullet this is totally normal.
The seating die knows nothing about the point of the bullet, it grips the bullet somewhere down the ogive depending on the die and bullet design.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Dec 2018, 7:02 pm

In that respect coal means very little then?
Where do people measure too to ensure 100% consistency?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Dec 2018, 7:14 pm

Get a bullet measure...or be happy
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Dec 2018, 7:23 pm

COAL is only the measurement from base to tip. It is relevant if the ammo is to in fit a magazine, in which case (NPI) you might want to make it 0.030" or 3/4 mm shorter to guarantee an easy fit. If target shooting, you forget about magazine fire and load bullets according to where the ogive is located. Just reading about that process was enough to put me off for life. Good luck whatever way you decide to go go.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 21 Dec 2018, 7:57 pm

Swaged projectiles are not necessarily precise and the distance from Meplat to Ogive to Base with vary more then you may realise. The way I deal with this is to spend BS amounts of time preparing projectiles by pointing then trimming the Meplat for a uniform Ogive to Meplat then I sort and batch by measuring the base to Ogive before then sub batching by weight. When it comes to loading I use an Ogive gauge and micrometer seating die, seat long - measure then adjust and reseat before backing the die off and starting again.
Last edited by brett1868 on 21 Dec 2018, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 21 Dec 2018, 8:03 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:COAL is only the measurement from base to tip. It is relevant if the ammo is to in fit a magazine, in which case (NPI) you might want to make it 0.030" or 3/4 mm shorter to guarantee an easy fit. If target shooting, you forget about magazine fire and load bullets according to where the ogive is located. Just reading about that process was enough to put me off for life. Good luck whatever way you decide to go go.

this is the right information :thumbsup:

you need to measure from the ogive for consistency
it is also necessary to measure projectiles before seating from the base to the ogive, you may see big differences with some brands

if you cant be bothered with that either jump big or jam
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Dec 2018, 8:08 pm

The easy cheap way is to get some Hornady bullet comparators and bolt it to you verniers. As Brett said earlier, you would need to batch your projectiles prior to loading if you are wanting to keep the COAL consistant. If you don't want to do this then buy Bergers which are unbelievably consistant. Or Lapua Secnars.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 8:26 pm

TassieTiger wrote:In that respect coal means very little then?
Where do people measure too to ensure 100% consistency?

It means it'll feed in your magazine.
If you are trying to get a consistent bullet jump, then you need to take your measurement at the point where the bullet meets the rifling, usually around 8-thou under groove diameter.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2018, 8:41 pm

SCJ429 wrote:The easy cheap way is to get some Hornady bullet comparators and bolt it to you verniers. As Brett said earlier, you would need to batch your projectiles prior to loading if you are wanting to keep the COAL consistant. If you don't want to do this then buy Bergers which are unbelievably consistant. Or Lapua Secnars.

OR

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10863
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Dec 2018, 8:42 pm

I was loading some 260’s and had everything set perfect - 71.95mm plus or minus maybe .1 mm.
I then ran my box of projectiles empty so I opened up another box of exactly the same 120gn Nosler ballistic hunting and first couple measured 71.60 and then a couple at 72.00mm....

Some comparators are on their way.
Thanks.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Dec 2018, 8:56 pm

brett1868 wrote:Swaged projectiles are not necessarily precise and the distance from Meplat to Ogive to Base with vary more then you may realise. The way I deal with this is to spend BS amounts of time preparing projectiles by pointing then trimming the Meplat for a uniform Ogive to Meplat then I sort and batch by measuring the base to Meplat before then sub batching my weight. When it comes to loading I use an Ogive gauge and micrometer seating die, seat long - measure then adjust and reseat before backing the die off and starting again.

Please help stop me from catching this disease... lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 9:20 pm

strange tas. i have a preferance for nosler projectiles these days and i don't get a lot of variance in COAL . i have a hornady press too. i like hornady products, always well made and no fuss, but i think nosler projectiles are where it's at for me. nosler 50 bt's for my 222, nosler 120 bt's for my 6.5x55 , superb accuracy. my 308 however loves 165 speer spbt . cheap too :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 21 Dec 2018, 9:42 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Swaged projectiles are not necessarily precise and the distance from Meplat to Ogive to Base with vary more then you may realise. The way I deal with this is to spend BS amounts of time preparing projectiles by pointing then trimming the Meplat for a uniform Ogive to Meplat then I sort and batch by measuring the base to Meplat before then sub batching my weight. When it comes to loading I use an Ogive gauge and micrometer seating die, seat long - measure then adjust and reseat before backing the die off and starting again.

Please help stop me from catching this disease... lol

Easily cured by using precision CNC machined solid copper or brass projectiles. The only projectiles I bother to prep are the 350gr SMK's I run in the Cheytac cause every little bit matters at 1600m :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 22 Dec 2018, 7:38 am

TassieTiger wrote:Please help stop me from catching this disease... lol

Nah mate...too late...you're gone...!!!

You were standing too close to the tracks when the shooters OCD train passed by & jagged your shirt & hooked you up... :clap:

Your denial is just due to your head hitting a few sleepers while being dragged along before we saved you & pulled you aboard the carriage... :lol:

Go & open a dedicated shooting fund trust account...you're gonna need it...!!! :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard... :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 22 Dec 2018, 8:31 am

Stix wrote:

You were standing too close to the tracks when the shooters OCD train passed by & jagged your shirt & hooked you up... :clap:

Your denial is just due to your head hitting a few sleepers while being dragged along before we saved you & pulled you aboard the carriage... :lol:

Go & open a dedicated shooting fund trust account...you're gonna need it...!!! :thumbsup:

no doubt about it stix, your a card :D :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Dec 2018, 9:26 am

I send condolences to your family they knew a good maybe even a little rich fella.... but now they only see a broke fella. Atleast you might be happy
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Dec 2018, 3:09 pm

bigrich wrote:
Stix wrote:

no doubt about it stix, your a card :D :drinks: :thumbsup:

Gees...ive been called plenty of things starting with the letter 'see' ( :lol: ) "C"...

Bet a card..??....well thats a new one...!!

Ill pretend its a good thing... :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 22 Dec 2018, 3:37 pm

'no doubt about it stix, your a card '(NEED DEALING with )
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 25 Dec 2018, 7:01 am

TassieTiger wrote:How come, I can set my die up for a COAL of say 79.00mm and then without changing a single thing, on the die or on the press or anything - I can get 78.70 to say 79.10 to 78.60 to 79.00 ? This is with the cases exactly the same lenght - each one measured with verniers and cut to length.

Cheers. Tas.

As others have pointed out there is some variation in ogive position even in high quality projectiles.
You need to have a reliable method of establishing oal when the projectile's ogive starts into the lands.
Method 1 is to size the neck of an empty case just enough so that the projectile can be seated long and it is firmly held but not so tight that it can't be moved. Chamber the test case and force the bolt closed. Then remove the case. Measure oal.
Now this is the most important step. Use that same particular projectile to set up your seating die for your desired projectile throat relationship.
Method 2 is quicker and simpler. Use a Stoney Point Chamber All gauge for establishing your maximum oal. Hornady now make a copy at a reasonable price. Measure your resulting oal.
And again the most important step is to use that exact same projectile to set up your seating die.
From there on you can ignore the minor variations in COAL particularly so if your seating stem makes contact with your projectile's ogive near to it's maximum diameter and not near the tip.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2018, 8:56 am

pomemax wrote:'no doubt about it stix, your a card '(NEED DEALING with )

it's a old saying from gambling/card playing . it's a reference to there's a joker card in every deck of cards :lol: :lol: :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: merry x-mas :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Dec 2018, 9:56 am

straightshooter wrote:

Cheers. Tas.

As others have pointed out there is some variation in ogive position even in high quality projectiles.
You need to have a reliable method of establishing oal when the projectile's ogive starts into the lands.
Method 1 is to size the neck of an empty case just enough so that the projectile can be seated long and it is firmly held but not so tight that it can't be moved. Chamber the test case and force the bolt closed. Then remove the case. Measure oal.
Now this is the most important step. Use that same particular projectile to set up your seating die for your desired projectile throat relationship.
Method 2 is quicker and simpler. Use a Stoney Point Chamber All gauge for establishing your maximum oal. Hornady now make a copy at a reasonable price. Measure your resulting oal.
And again the most important step is to use that exact same projectile to set up your seating die.
From there on you can ignore the minor variations in COAL particularly so if your seating stem makes contact with your projectile's ogive near to it's maximum diameter and not near the tip.

Even when I set up my max / demo cartridge- I’d place it into my press to set up die and I’d screw die down to touch nose and it would creep projectile in .5mm or similar as when I’m tightening the screw, I can’t feel it until it’s touching and this touch on a loose case...hmmm...so another method needs to be found for me...which is why I’ve bought the hornady comparator. Hopefully, I don’t end up weighing individual parts, turning necks, triple measuring everything, etc like Brett...because my family WILL divorce me.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2018, 1:04 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Even when I set up my max / demo cartridge- I’d place it into my press to set up die and I’d screw die down to touch nose and it would creep projectile in .5mm or similar as when I’m tightening the screw, I can’t feel it until it’s touching and this touch on a loose case...hmmm...so another method needs to be found for me...which is why I’ve bought the hornady comparator. Hopefully, I don’t end up weighing individual parts, turning necks, triple measuring everything, etc like Brett...because my family WILL divorce me.

You could tap a thread in the flash hole and thread in a screw to prevent the bullet from moving back into the case. Or drill out the primer pocket and fill the case with epoxy behind the bullet.

Personally I just set up the seating die every time by seating a bullet, measuring OAL, adjusting to suit. I use lots of different bullets so I'm always adjusting the dies. On the Lee dies, the thread pitch is 1.5mm, so a full turn is .059", I round it to 60-thou. A quarter-turn is 15-thou and so on. If your measurement is 2.531" and you're chasing 2.475", you need 56-thou, or almost one full turn.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2018, 1:10 pm

straightshooter wrote:Method 1 is to size the neck of an empty case just enough so that the projectile can be seated long and it is firmly held but not so tight that it can't be moved. Chamber the test case and force the bolt closed. Then remove the case. Measure oal.

The problem with this method comes when you're seating close to the lands. Measuring overall length to the point of the bullet can leave enough difference at the ogive (where it meets the rifling) to have some bullets jammed, and others well off the lands.

Unless your seating stem touches the bullet along the ogive at the bore diameter (at .300" on a .308" bullet) you will have to make fine adjustments to every round anyway using an ogive comparator. If you're seating more than about 20-thou off the lands I doubt it matters outside of serious competition.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 25 Dec 2018, 3:49 pm

if your seating stem is pushing the bullet from the tip it needs to be drilled out so that it only connects at the ogive to give a true reading
maybe this is the problem :unknown:
but you measure the loaded round from the ogive to the base for a true measurement, this is what you use the comparator for
if they wont fit your mag because some are longer than others seat them shorter so they will but at the same oal from base to ogive
when you measure max oal you do it with your firing pin removed and with a fired in that chamber case
it's up to you if you dont or you do but if not you are just playing around
Bretts advise is good advise for solving your problem :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Dec 2018, 4:44 pm

"when you measure max oal you do it with your firing pin removed and with a fired in"

Why? How would the firing pin interfere if it's cocked?
No safety reason, it's an empty case.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Dec 2018, 5:28 pm

marksman wrote:if your seating stem is pushing the bullet from the tip it needs to be drilled out so that it only connects at the ogive to give a true reading
maybe this is the problem :unknown:

Bretts advise is good advise for solving your problem :thumbsup: :drinks:

How could you tell where the seating die is touching on a projectile? Smoke it with carbon or ?
I assumed it would be grasping it on the ogive but where would be a guess...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 25 Dec 2018, 5:55 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"when you measure max oal you do it with your firing pin removed and with a fired in"

Why? How would the firing pin interfere if it's cocked?
No safety reason, it's an empty case.

Oldbloke who said there was a safety issue :unknown:
you do it this way so you do not have any interference and can see when the bolt just closes without any interference from the firing pin spring
so make a dummy round longer than will fit your chamber, then reduce the oal bit by bit till the bolt just closes, there is your perfect max oal
does not work properly without using a case fired in the chamber of the rifle, you will not see the same results without taking the firing pin out of the bolt
this way the bolt handle falls on its own weight, simples

to check if your seating stem is right for your projectile shape take it out and try a projectile in it if it does not touch at the ogive it is hitting the point :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2018, 7:54 pm

marksman wrote:to check if your seating stem is right for your projectile shape take it out and try a projectile in it if it does not touch at the ogive it is hitting the point :drinks:

Mine touch at different points along the ogive depending on the shape of the bullet. None of my dies seat on the point of the bullet, or at point where the ogive meets the rifling. It's generally about halfway between the two points.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 25 Dec 2018, 9:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:
marksman wrote:to check if your seating stem is right for your projectile shape take it out and try a projectile in it if it does not touch at the ogive it is hitting the point :drinks:

Mine touch at different points along the ogive depending on the shape of the bullet. None of my dies seat on the point of the bullet, or at point where the ogive meets the rifling. It's generally about halfway between the two points.

what I meant blade is that if your projectile swims around the ogive and you can see it is bottoming out on the tip of the projectile you will have problems in oal differences but the simple fix is to drill out the inside of the seater stem so the tip will not bottom out and the seater sits on the ogive or wherever on the bullet so the seater does not push the bullet from the tip causing irregularities in length. it is also a very good idea to polish the inside of the seater stem

if this is a problem you can always buy a vld seater stem but this is really all that is needed :drinks: make the hole in the seater stem deeper :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition