308 greif. Help/opinions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

308 greif. Help/opinions

Post by Harrynsw » 22 Dec 2018, 5:38 pm

Hi folks
My Browning A bolt dosnt like 150 grain rounds. Have owned the gun for 3 years. Was putting 150 grain corelokts thru it to begin with 4 moa groups @100m. Shortly after switched to 130 grain federal speer which gave me 1 moa groups @ 100m but these round do alot of damage being a hollow point, after 2 and a half years iv tried to go back to a SP that being the Hornady whitetail 150 grain, was only at the 50m range but 1.5 inch groups @50m....
And thoughs/info appreciated
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 308 greif. Help/opinions

Post by marksman » 23 Dec 2018, 2:27 pm

make sure the rifle is clean and try the corelokts again :drinks:
I'm sure you will find the rifle will shoot what it shot before :thumbsup:

just because it shot with one type of 150gr projectile does not mean it will shoot all 150 grainers
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 23 Dec 2018, 2:48 pm

hey harrynsw , i bought a second hand sako a7, and it hated hornady 150sst's did not want to group under 1 1/2 -2" at 100. i tried everything. i thought i'd been dudded got to talking to a fella in a GS who had the same problem with a different brand of rifle, and changed to 165 gn with good results. i did some research and decided speer 165 btsp were the one for me. good expansion for a heavy projectile. so they say. still got to field test that. but it makes one hole at 100 now , shoots better than most people can believe . a factory round that worked well and confirmed the bullet weight theory were the "aussie outback" 308 165 gn sp's these shot around 1" at 100. it might be worth buying a box of these to test the theory . my sako has a 1-11.something twist . twist rate seems to be why my rifle doesn't like 150's. it shot federal 130 gn hp factory ammo ok but hope this helps :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 23 Dec 2018, 4:46 pm

marksman wrote:make sure the rifle is clean and try the corelokts again :drinks:
I'm sure you will find the rifle will shoot what it shot before :thumbsup:

just because it shot with one type of 150gr projectile does not mean it will shoot all 150 grainers

Thanks marksman
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 23 Dec 2018, 5:01 pm

bigrich wrote:hey harrynsw , i bought a second hand sako a7, and it hated hornady 150sst's did not want to group under 1 1/2 -2" at 100. i tried everything. i thought i'd been dudded got to talking to a fella in a GS who had the same problem with a different brand of rifle, and changed to 165 gn with good results. i did some research and decided speer 165 btsp were the one for me. good expansion for a heavy projectile. so they say. still got to field test that. but it makes one hole at 100 now , shoots better than most people can believe . a factory round that worked well and confirmed the bullet weight theory were the "aussie outback" 308 165 gn sp's these shot around 1" at 100. it might be worth buying a box of these to test the theory . my sako has a 1-11.something twist . twist rate seems to be why my rifle doesn't like 150's. it shot federal 130 gn hp factory ammo ok but hope this helps :drinks: :thumbsup:

Thanks bigrich, you confirmed my thoughts, trying a heavier projectile was my next move.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 23 Dec 2018, 6:39 pm

bigrich wrote:hey harrynsw , i bought a second hand sako a7, and it hated hornady 150sst's did not want to group under 1 1/2 -2" at 100. i tried everything. i thought i'd been dudded got to talking to a fella in a GS who had the same problem with a different brand of rifle, and changed to 165 gn with good results. i did some research and decided speer 165 btsp were the one for me. good expansion for a heavy projectile. so they say. still got to field test that. but it makes one hole at 100 now , shoots better than most people can believe . a factory round that worked well and confirmed the bullet weight theory were the "aussie outback" 308 165 gn sp's these shot around 1" at 100. it might be worth buying a box of these to test the theory . my sako has a 1-11.something twist . twist rate seems to be why my rifle doesn't like 150's. it shot federal 130 gn hp factory ammo ok but hope this helps :drinks: :thumbsup:

and you know bigrich I tried 4 different brands of 165gr projectile in my brno 308 and it would not shoot them but when I tried 150's the groups shrunk to acceptable groups under 1/2 moa, I'm about to try out 130's in it for my daughter to use :drinks:
goes to show the rifle will tell you what it likes being fed :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 23 Dec 2018, 8:01 pm

when i first got back into this game people were telling me 22lr rifles can be finicky , well , turns out centrefires can be worse ! :D suppose, if it was easy it wouldn't be any fun ! :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 23 Dec 2018, 8:05 pm

bigrich wrote:when i first got back into this game people were telling me 22lr rifles can be finicky , well , turns out centrefires can be worse ! :D suppose, if it was easy it wouldn't be any fun ! :drinks: :thumbsup:

So true.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 23 Dec 2018, 8:57 pm

Mate it’s a bit of trial and error if you’re using factory ammo. I reload and my .308 only likes certain projectiles. A bit tricky if you’re restricted to factory anno.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 23 Dec 2018, 9:24 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate it’s a bit of trial and error if you’re using factory ammo. I reload and my .308 only likes certain projectiles. A bit tricky if you’re restricted to factory anno.

Yep factory ammo. New to the technical side of things.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 23 Dec 2018, 9:30 pm

try the 165 gn aussie outbacks if you can get them harry
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Dec 2018, 9:38 pm

Does it still shoot 130 grain Speers well? But they do too much damage to the game you shoot? So you want to shoot a heavier bullet that has a thicker jacket? If it were me and I was happy with Speer 130s I would go for head or spine shots at close range.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 23 Dec 2018, 9:51 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Does it still shoot 130 grain Speers well? But they do too much damage to the game you shoot? So you want to shoot a heavier bullet that has a thicker jacket? If it were me and I was happy with Speer 130s I would go for head or spine shots at close range.

+1 :thumbsup: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 23 Dec 2018, 10:05 pm

bigrich wrote:try the 165 gn aussie outbacks if you can get them harry

Yep I can get those. Will try them.
Thanks
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 23 Dec 2018, 10:07 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Does it still shoot 130 grain Speers well? But they do too much damage to the game you shoot? So you want to shoot a heavier bullet that has a thicker jacket? If it were me and I was happy with Speer 130s I would go for head or spine shots at close range.

Forgive me, but don't I need to use a minimum of 150 grain for hunting larger deer in state forests?
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 24 Dec 2018, 8:51 pm

Harrynsw wrote:

Forgive me, but don't I need to use a minimum of 150 grain for hunting larger deer in state forests?

Min 130 gr .270 cal
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 24 Dec 2018, 8:54 pm

The issue you are having with factory 150’s is jump distance from the lands.
In 308 accuracy is best at around 30 thousands off the lands.
165 hit around 45 from factory 150 believe it or not can be 100 or more.
This jump kills accuracy.

I have bullet pulled factory 150 and re seated them to 30 thou. Group 1/2”.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Dec 2018, 8:59 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:The issue you are having with factory 150’s is jump distance from the lands.

Nice little tip mate, thanks for sharing. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Dec 2018, 9:11 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:The issue you are having with factory 150’s is jump distance from the lands.

Thanks southwest varminter
Feeling positive about trying 165 grain projectiles.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Dec 2018, 9:45 pm

It is optimal to jam a bullet but there are reasons not to do this such as, the round will not fit in the magizene, you cannot reach the lands or you don't have enough of the bullet supported by the neck. I would not jam a hunting bullet because it may stay stuck in the lands when you eject an unfired round.

If you are going up to 165 why not 180 or 200?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Dec 2018, 9:47 pm

SCJ429 wrote:It is optimal to jam a bullet but there are reasons not to do this such as, the round will not fit in the magizene, you cannot reach the lands or you don't have enough of the bullet supported by the neck. I would not jam a hunting bullet because it may stay stuck in the lands when you eject an unfired round.

If you are going up to 165 why not 180 or 200?

Well I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking...
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Dec 2018, 11:17 pm

To get a Browning to shoot one inch groups is quite an achievement. If the 130 work then I would continue to use them.

If you want to try a heavier pill, by all means give them a try. The better Sectional Density will definitely be helpful in a hunting situation. If I was trying a 180 I would do a ladder test with 2208 until I could not fit anymore powder into the case (without heavily compressing the powder). You will find a load very close to the max powder load. Worry about the Coal after you have the powder charge sorted.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 25 Dec 2018, 5:56 am

SCJ429 wrote:To get a Browning to shoot one inch groups is quite an achievement. If the 130 work then I would continue to use them.

If you want to try a heavier pill, by all means give them a try. The better Sectional Density will definitely be helpful in a hunting situation. If I was trying a 180 I would do a ladder test with 2208 until I could not fit anymore powder into the case (without heavily compressing the powder). You will find a load very close to the max powder load. Worry about the Coal after you have the powder charge sorted.

Hi mate, I'm only using factory loads, long way to go before a start reloading.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Dec 2018, 9:00 pm

Sorry Harry, then none of that applies.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 25 Dec 2018, 10:46 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Sorry Harry, then none of that applies.

Thanks anyhow à
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Dec 2018, 9:56 am

If you wanted to try a 165 then ADI Australian Outback makes loaded rounds using 165 grain Sierra Game Kings. These projectiles work well on larger game and shoot very well. Might be worth trying in your Browning.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 26 Dec 2018, 3:00 pm

SCJ429 wrote:If you wanted to try a 165 then ADI Australian Outback makes loaded rounds using 165 grain Sierra Game Kings. These projectiles work well on larger game and shoot very well. Might be worth trying in your Browning.

Will definitely be the next ammo I try thru the rifle.
Cheers
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 26 Dec 2018, 3:03 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:If you wanted to try a 165 then ADI Australian Outback makes loaded rounds using 165 grain Sierra Game Kings. These projectiles work well on larger game and shoot very well. Might be worth trying in your Browning.

Cheers

they shoot very well in my rifle :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 26 Dec 2018, 3:55 pm

bigrich wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

Cheers

they shoot very well in my rifle :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

If these don't do any good in this 1:12 barrel, probably no point in trying the 180 grain??
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles