Cronograph

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Cronograph

Post by Stoney » 24 Dec 2018, 8:16 am

G'day Fellas, Santa want's to bring me a new crono for xmas :lol: :lol: :lol: Which one would you recommend him to bring me? :D :D :D
( If this subject has been covered before please point me in the right direction.) Cheers.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Cronograph

Post by tom604 » 24 Dec 2018, 8:39 am

magnetospeed,about $360? or the radar one (cant remember the name.labdar?) $thousand ish, or a shade one,heaps of brands, $200 ish

pros... magnetospeed you can set it up without a cease fire ,small,portable cons...affects point of impact,so no shooting groups,,some say it doesn't,but on my rifle it does
pros...radar, i think you can get readings at different ranges? not sure,don't know much about them,no change in poi cons.....thousand ish dollaryroos,need a cease fire
pros... shade, cheap,they work,no change in poi,been around for years cons..you can shoot them, cloudy day can mess them up a bit,need a cease fire

been a few threads about crony's but this is my take on them,,,,i have the magnetospeed,good bit of kit,would be better if it didn't change the poi :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Stoney » 24 Dec 2018, 8:55 am

tom604 wrote:magnetospeed,about $360? or the radar one (cant remember the name.labdar?) $thousand ish, or a shade one,heaps of brands, $200 ish

pros... magnetospeed you can set it up without a cease fire ,small,portable cons...affects point of impact,so no shooting groups,,some say it doesn't,but on my rifle it does
pros...radar, i think you can get readings at different ranges? not sure,don't know much about them,no change in poi cons.....thousand ish dollaryroos,need a cease fire
pros... shade, cheap,they work,no change in poi,been around for years cons..you can shoot them, cloudy day can mess them up a bit,need a cease fire

been a few threads about crony's but this is my take on them,,,,i have the magnetospeed,good bit of kit,would be better if it didn't change the poi :thumbsup:

Thanks tom604 :D The magnetospeed is reliable in it's readings?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 24 Dec 2018, 10:37 am

Im not sure about my magneto...
I get low readings for every rifle i have-not sure if its my mild-moderate loads yet.. i havnt been able to check it against a proven chrono...

On my rifles however, it doesnt change POI-well not to a notable distance for hunting anyway...but it does alter group size on atleast one rifle.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TheDude » 24 Dec 2018, 11:15 am

Depending on budget the LabRadar is also great. Not mounting anything to the rifle and sits on the bench next to you so easier to set up if you shoot at a range.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2018, 11:20 am

Stoney wrote:G'day Fellas, Santa want's to bring me a new crono for xmas :lol: :lol: :lol: Which one would you recommend him to bring me? :D :D :D
( If this subject has been covered before please point me in the right direction.) Cheers.

I use a Competition electronics ProChrono Digital. I bought the link unit for it as well but have never played with that.
My old one lived out in the paddock under a plastic crate and eventually died. But as it did everything I wanted from a chrono I replaced it with the same model.
I can at least say that both give me similar measurements, so they're either accurate, or similarly inaccurate, which works as well :-)

I shoot loads from 250fps to 4400fps through it. I don't use the shades so I tilt the sensors toward the sun to get the best consistency.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 24 Dec 2018, 1:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stoney wrote:G'day Fellas, Santa want's to bring me a new crono for xmas :lol: :lol: :lol: Which one would you recommend him to bring me? :D :D :D

I use a Competition electronics ProChrono Digital. I bought the link unit for it as well but have never played with that.
My old one lived out in the paddock under a plastic crate and eventually died. But as it did everything I wanted from a chrono I replaced it with the same model.
I can at least say that both give me similar measurements, so they're either accurate, or similarly inaccurate, which works as well :-)

I shoot loads from 250fps to 4400fps through it. I don't use the shades so I tilt the sensors toward the sun to get the best consistency.

I use the same and do recommend them :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 24 Dec 2018, 3:50 pm

Labradar has been great.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Dec 2018, 4:05 pm

Labradar has a couple of cons apart from the cost. It chews batteries at a phenomenal rate. You have to use an external power source connected by a USB cable. It can pick up the shooter on the bench next to you, if you change the settings it sometimes will not pick up your rounds. It cannot read velocities over 4000 fps. Apart from that they are very good.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 24 Dec 2018, 4:46 pm

So far the score is magnetospeed 1.5/2
LabRadar 2.5/3
ProChrono Digital 2/2
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 24 Dec 2018, 6:50 pm

I should say that it was the price that got me with the prochrony, I think I paid around $180 with the lap top accessories that I've never used :lol:
if you were wanting the best it would be something else, I dont use it for reloading just for ballistics
it has not let me down and IMO has been worth every penny :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by trekin » 25 Dec 2018, 4:56 am

The CED-M2 is a pretty robust unit for the price.
https://www.cedhk.com/ced-m2-chronograph
Pro's:
The CED M2 Shooting Chronograph has been the OFFICIAL CHRONOGRAPH for USPSA & IPSC Championships for the past 20 years,
Price,
A range of accessories,
Full range of replacement parts should you lend it to someone not inclined to look after your gear as you yourself would,
Data collection and storage computer not down range to be damaged should the above happen,
Data can be downloaded straight to ballistic programme on your desktop/laptop. Comes with a basic programme, but a much better one can be had from RSI,
Voice Chip technology – Results can be heard as well as seen
Good customer support.
Cons:
Price, some people think that because of the cheap price that unit won't work as well,
Set up takes a bit longer,
USB connection to your computer only (not wireless),
Can be a bit savage on batteries if using cheap ones.

"The results achieved by ALL brands of Chronographs depend heavily on isolating variables which can and do effect performance. These variables include lighting, muzzle blast, location / environment of use, and weather / temperature among many others. It is important to become familiar with the effects that each of these variables might have on the results obtained and how to control them properly."
I have been using a CED-M2 for the last 10 years or so, and yes there have been a fair share of faults and errors, but on analyis of the problem it has been found to be one on the variable mentioned above and not any fault of the unit itself.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2018, 12:50 pm

trekin wrote:The CED-M2 is a pretty robust unit for the price.

Looks pretty good.
From the website it's E250 or A$405 delivered, or A$420 via Ebay.
It's significantly more expensive than some others but I'm not sure it offers anything they don't.

Personally I don't bother with any of the number crunching. I just need something that will consistently measure my velocity, nothing more than that. If it retains the string for me to go back through it that's a neat feature, but I generally note the velocity down when I shoot anyway. Sometimes I even write the velocity on the cases as I fire them. If I want to bother working out the average, ES, or ED, I can do those myself when I've finished. I particularly like the easy "set up" of the ProChrono, just sling it over my shoulder when I walk up the paddock, screw it to the tripod (which stays out in the paddock), or lay it on the ground if I'm prone, switch it on, start shooting. Dead easy. I don't use the screens and there's no bag or box to mess with.

I think I paid $180 for my first ProChrono, and $225 for the new one. Even that is a lot of money, in my opinion, for a device you are deliberately setting up in front of a high-velocity rifle :-)

I would ideally like to just have the sensors in the firing line and have the electronics separated on a two-meter cable. I think my old one has only died in the display as it just throws up random segments, I might have a play with it. I did have a problem with it once, until I discovered a spider had built her home in one of the sensor slots :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 26 Dec 2018, 5:56 am

bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:The CED-M2 is a pretty robust unit for the price.

Looks pretty good.
From the website it's E250 or A$405 delivered, or A$420 via Ebay.
It's significantly more expensive than some others but I'm not sure it offers anything they don't.

Personally I don't bother with any of the number crunching. I just need something that will consistently measure my velocity, nothing more than that. If it retains the string for me to go back through it that's a neat feature, but I generally note the velocity down when I shoot anyway. Sometimes I even write the velocity on the cases as I fire them. If I want to bother working out the average, ES, or ED, I can do those myself when I've finished. I particularly like the easy "set up" of the ProChrono, just sling it over my shoulder when I walk up the paddock, screw it to the tripod (which stays out in the paddock), or lay it on the ground if I'm prone, switch it on, start shooting. Dead easy. I don't use the screens and there's no bag or box to mess with.

I think I paid $180 for my first ProChrono, and $225 for the new one. Even that is a lot of money, in my opinion, for a device you are deliberately setting up in front of a high-velocity rifle :-)

I would ideally like to just have the sensors in the firing line and have the electronics separated on a two-meter cable. I think my old one has only died in the display as it just throws up random segments, I might have a play with it. I did have a problem with it once, until I discovered a spider had built her home in one of the sensor slots :-)

OK, I admit I haven't kept up with price increases over the years. I only paid about $200 AU for mine, was part of a hardware/software package that meassures velocity, chamber pressure and recoil pressure. Back then, $200 for a chrony with these features was considered in the too good to true category. A quick look at AU LGS's shows average price of around $300, give or take, still not a bad price considering. As to the features, you don't have to use them, and do the mental arithmetics youself, but some prefer to just push a butom and have it done almost instantly, horses for courses I suppose.
Anyway, Stoney asked for recomendations for chronos, and after ten years, thereabouts, of use with this unit I would, like you have done with your chrono of choice, recommend Stoney look at the CED M2.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 26 Dec 2018, 6:33 am

Magnetospeed.

Love mine.

Once upon a time i found a review of popular chronographs, and the magnetospeed ranked quite high.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 26 Dec 2018, 6:56 am

I run a base model Alpha chrono. It works, reliable, and it just puts out the numbers. If you want all bells and whistles, buy it. There is no "best". I mainly pull mine out if I want to do some low velocity work with a new projectile I have built. Even then it is an after thought as I want the projectile to hit my target and the speed is mostly irrelevant. Book specs will be close if you are working out of a book. I thought a chrony would be a great advantage but it really is a want and not a need. It can lead you to some load chasing, trying to get better results, consistency, etc,etc....but at the end of the day if what you have as a load works the velocity is a nice to know. Would I buy one again. NO. Another toy that does little work for my hunting/ culling needs. I do not shoot paper and a sub MOA is fine. All the tech guys may get a bit bent out of shape with this line of thinking but I say get out into the paddock and shoot. A well placed shot means dead, regardless of speed.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Dec 2018, 7:09 am

I have a magnetospeed sporter bought this year, paid 250 for it from a LGS. At that price it was a no brainer.

Easy to setup, doesn't take much space and while the screen may not be as good as the bigger brother it is good enough. Does ES, SD, Avg, max, min.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 27 Dec 2018, 11:10 am

Thanks for the advice fellas, very appreciated. I will have to have a good think about intended use. I'm thinking that renting one from the range when I need it might be the smart thing to do.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Dec 2018, 8:57 pm

Stoney wrote:Thanks for the advice fellas, very appreciated. I will have to have a good think about intended use. I'm thinking that renting one from the range when I need it might be the smart thing to do.

you could even ask someone who has one at the range if they would put a few shots threw there's for you :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 27 Dec 2018, 9:24 pm

marksman wrote:
Stoney wrote:Thanks for the advice fellas, very appreciated. I will have to have a good think about intended use. I'm thinking that renting one from the range when I need it might be the smart thing to do.

you could even ask someone who has one at the range if they would put a few shots threw there's for you :thumbsup:

I generally don't like to bother anyone mate. Although I have met some bloody fantastic people at the range.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 27 Dec 2018, 9:39 pm

Bills Shed wrote:I run a base model Alpha chrono. It works, reliable, and it just puts out the numbers. If you want all bells and whistles, buy it. There is no "best". I mainly pull mine out if I want to do some low velocity work with a new projectile I have built. Even then it is an after thought as I want the projectile to hit my target and the speed is mostly irrelevant. Book specs will be close if you are working out of a book. I thought a chrony would be a great advantage but it really is a want and not a need. It can lead you to some load chasing, trying to get better results, consistency, etc,etc....but at the end of the day if what you have as a load works the velocity is a nice to know. Would I buy one again. NO. Another toy that does little work for my hunting/ culling needs. I do not shoot paper and a sub MOA is fine. All the tech guys may get a bit bent out of shape with this line of thinking but I say get out into the paddock and shoot. A well placed shot means dead, regardless of speed.

Bill

Absolutely Bill. My 303 loads are grouping fantastically so now I am curious about what speed they are doing. I have already decided that the best grouping load is now my standard load, and to be honest I really couldn't care if it runs at 1800fps.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 28 Dec 2018, 6:59 am

Stoney wrote:
Bills Shed wrote:I run a base model Alpha chrono. It works, reliable, and it just puts out the numbers. If you want all bells and whistles, buy it. There is no "best". I mainly pull mine out if I want to do some low velocity work with a new projectile I have built. Even then it is an after thought as I want the projectile to hit my target and the speed is mostly irrelevant. Book specs will be close if you are working out of a book. I thought a chrony would be a great advantage but it really is a want and not a need. It can lead you to some load chasing, trying to get better results, consistency, etc,etc....but at the end of the day if what you have as a load works the velocity is a nice to know. Would I buy one again. NO. Another toy that does little work for my hunting/ culling needs. I do not shoot paper and a sub MOA is fine. All the tech guys may get a bit bent out of shape with this line of thinking but I say get out into the paddock and shoot. A well placed shot means dead, regardless of speed.

Bill

Absolutely Bill. My 303 loads are grouping fantastically so now I am curious about what speed they are doing. I have already decided that the best grouping load is now my standard load, and to be honest I really couldn't care if it runs at 1800fps.

WHere are you located? If you are in the CQ/coalfields areas you could borrow my old chronotech.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 28 Dec 2018, 11:52 am

trekin wrote:
Stoney wrote:

Bill

WHere are you located? If you are in the CQ/coalfields areas you could borrow my old chronotech.

Very kind of you trekin, alas I am in Brisbane. But thanks for the offer.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sako308 » 01 Jan 2019, 12:05 pm

I retired my CED M2 with a Magnetospeed as its a hell of a lot quicker and easier to setup, accurate velocities and isn't affected by range users, environmental/light conditions, calibers, etc etc. It just works.

It can alter harmonics, but some barrels/calibres are more affected than others, but is a moot point if just confirming velocities. hasn't worried me in the slightest. There are also a number of companies in the US manufacturing adjustable extensions/arms for attaching the bayonet clear of the barrel if needed.

Hit the guys up at Huntsman Aus in Townsville if you want any more info on the MagnetoSpeed gear.

https://huntsmanfirearms.com.au/catalog ... ospeed_54/
Sako308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics