What types of powers do fishy inspectors have?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

What types of powers do fishy inspectors have?

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Dec 2018, 7:55 pm

So having a typical Xmas argument and wondering what ppl think ?

Recent amendments to fishing legislation now states the number allowed at home of certain species...
in case of say sharks (example only, not actual numbers) - your allowed to catch 2 fish per person, per boat but are only allowed to have 3 fish in the house.
So this means if a father/son go fishing and catch their quota, they have to dispose / give away a fish on the way home??

So, these fishery inspectors have apparent “police” like powers and can attend your home at any time with a warrant and enforce said warrant just as the police would...

This lead to a question - could a fisheries inspector demand to see inside your gun safe or personal safe or other locked cabinet - if they deemed that you might be hiding something aligned with their warrant / inspection powers ?
I am arguing no way - surely not, but the other side is saying that the fishy inspectors (or any person deemed a “peace maker”) can look anywhere they want, if their warrant Is worded in a manner that’s open to interpretation such ie “any locked or unlocked area Or container that may be used to hide quota or illegally obtained marine animals...” etc...

Thoughts??
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: What types of powers do fishy inspectors have?

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2018, 8:10 pm

TassieTiger wrote:So having a typical Xmas argument and wondering what ppl think ?

Recent amendments to fishing legislation now states the number allowed at home of certain species...
in case of say sharks (example only, not actual numbers) - your allowed to catch 2 fish per person, per boat but are only allowed to have 3 fish in the house.
So this means if a father/son go fishing and catch their quota, they have to dispose / give away a fish on the way home??

So, these fishery inspectors have apparent “police” like powers and can attend your home at any time with a warrant and enforce said warrant just as the police would...

This lead to a question - could a fisheries inspector demand to see inside your gun safe or personal safe or other locked cabinet - if they deemed that you might be hiding something aligned with their warrant / inspection powers ?
I am arguing no way - surely not, but the other side is saying that the fishy inspectors (or any person deemed a “peace maker”) can look anywhere they want, if their warrant Is worded in a manner that’s open to interpretation such ie “any locked or unlocked area Or container that may be used to hide quota or illegally obtained marine animals...” etc...

Thoughts??

If a LEO has a warrant to search the premises I would think they can search every nook and cranny, regardless of whether it's locked. They can't have access to your firearms perhaps, but they can still have you open the safe for a search. I figure this is why firearm warrants will often include "ammunition". If they have a warrant to search for an illegal handgun for example, there are small containers that would not be viable to conceal the item, but ammunition can be concealed just about anywhere.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 25 Dec 2018, 9:44 pm

You would probably find that a police constable would present you with the warrant with the fishy in as a come along.
They would still need to get a warrant from a magistrate and they would have to show just cause and stuff
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Dec 2018, 6:26 am

So I’m out camping with a few ppl, on the coast.
A fisheries inspector comes along and asks to look in the boat, in the esky and in the cooler. He finds a few cray fish and then wants to look in the locked fire arms rescepticle that I’ve bolted into my Ute - is he allowed ? No warrant, no LEO. He has cause - he is looking for under size fish, but is he legally allowed?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Rod_outbak » 26 Dec 2018, 8:58 am

Cant offer any ideas on Tassie fishos, but the QLD equivalent seem to believe they have the authority to search anywhere they like on your campsite.
[I've never verified this, as I dont really ever do any fishing on public land, so only usually encounter the fishos when they are in transit somewhere]

I do know people who've had their river-bank campsite thoroughly searched, and nowhere was off-limits for the search. I think the fisho's had found some reason for an infringement, and so that gives them cause to search everything.
I also know they work in pretty close with the police at times, and have performed joint operations many times in this area.

The local senior fisho in Longreach used to be a rather self-impressed gent; I remember him trying to pin people solely based on overheard conversations in pubs...
[Pretty sure even the cops believe they might need to find evidence to back the conversation up BEFORE prosecuting someone...]

He fronted me one day; he'd heard a conversation in a pub that someone had dropped red-claw(crayfish) into all of the Stock-Route watering facility dams, and did I know anything about it?
Red-Claw are non-native to this area, and can be invasive, so the fishos are pretty keen to stop people introducing them.
My answer:
1). I have NO idea; we dont go near the 2 watering facility dams on our section of stock route, and I've never seen anyone other than council staff at those dams. Perhaps inquire of the council maintenance staff??
2). I highly doubt the story could be true, as the dams would likely fail pretty quickly, as red-Claw do like to burrow, and the dams arent of a type that would cope for very long. AND; there dont seem to be any burrows in the watering facility dams (Bit of a requirement; do you think??).
3). As our boredrain went within 1km of one watering facility, and as Red-Claw are known to go walkabout when conditions are right, I'm thinking the complete lack of red-Claw in our boredrain(LOTS of Blue-Claw, though) might be ANOTHER sign that the story might be a tiny bit bulls**t??
4). I was shooting a lot in the area along the stock route at the time(here, kitty kitty kitty...), and I've not seen anyone in or around the dam(s).

...To this day, I get the impression that fisho was convinced I was the ring-leader of a secret Black-Market Red-Claw breeding operation.
I dont really miss him, but I feel sorry for the people who got him at his next posting....

TassieTiger:- My gut feeling is that IF you refuse the fisho in the scenario you describe, expect the police to pay you a visit in the very near future, with fisho in tow.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Dec 2018, 9:03 am

Interesting story rod - I like red craw.,.you sure you can’t hook me up? Lol

I need to find out where their powers are defined. I’ve searched on line but very vague.

They seem to think they are bloody God’s from my experience...

Cheers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Dec 2018, 11:36 am

TassieTiger wrote:So I’m out camping with a few ppl, on the coast.
A fisheries inspector comes along and asks to look in the boat, in the esky and in the cooler. He finds a few cray fish and then wants to look in the locked fire arms rescepticle that I’ve bolted into my Ute - is he allowed ? No warrant, no LEO. He has cause - he is looking for under size fish, but is he legally allowed?

Just open the bloody thing and stop being a dick about it, all he wants to do is check to see that nothings in there that shouldn't be and I assume you or your friends are doing the right thing so what's the prob? :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 26 Dec 2018, 11:55 am

:crazy: :crazy: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I know you are tassie but you put sharks in your gun safe????????
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by trekin » 26 Dec 2018, 12:19 pm

duncan61 wrote::crazy: :crazy: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I know you are tassie but you put sharks in your gun safe????????

Well, the fisho's obversely do.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Dec 2018, 12:37 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

Just open the bloody thing and stop being a dick about it, all he wants to do is check to see that nothings in there that shouldn't be and I assume you or your friends are doing the right thing so what's the prob? :unknown:

Okay - bit of background might help here.

Few weeks ago - several family members were camping and a fisheries drove into the camp and hit a tent. Just softly, but enough to get ppls backs up.
Some light words were exchanged - RE someone potentially being injured, kids running everywhere etc and the fishos bit back straight up - no apologies.

They inspected a number of crayfish and found that a young lady had not properly cut the v on the tail of one cray, it was off centre - and they fined her.
They then demanded to inspect every cray, anyone had touched, every esky, cooler - they went through everything throwing s**t around like you see on tv. You could see them smirking at each other as they went.

When confronted about their insane behaviour, in particular in front of the kids, they threatened to arrest and fine for obstruction.
As previous, 50 mins later - The only thing they found, was that a young lass had incorrectly clipped a cray tail wrong - despite her getting the other one right (allowed two)...
This was a power trip by the fishos. Nothing more.

Later after they had gone, some ppl were saying they have power in excess of LEO’s which I quizzed as I’m sure they do not do the training, legal, physical or otherwise - and the conversation went to - if crays had have been hidden in a safe, would they have power to demand to look inside...(this the Xmas argument referred to initially)

It’s not being wankerish - it’s hypothetical in one aspect AND I’d like to know where I can draw the line and say, no - Fark off and stop being idiots. (Other thread - I’ve advised I might offer inspecting officers coffee and invite them for a shoot) just to put into context some of my demeanour in these situations...these fisheries guys were completely over the top, they knew it - and knew we didn’t know enough to say otherwise...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 26 Dec 2018, 2:57 pm

You would have to check the legislation that states what powers they have. I would think if they're enforcing fishing laws they probably are consider to be LEO's.
I know Rangers here are empowered to check your firearms and licence on Public lands.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 26 Dec 2018, 8:43 pm

TassieTiger wrote:So having a typical Xmas argument and wondering what ppl think ?

Thoughts??

Wait what the fishing ammendments dictate how many fish you can have in your freezer? Wtf is this bullcrap?
All I can think of is how do you practically police the amount of fish someone has. I have fillets of god knows how many diffrerent fish from the last year in mine, go ahead and DNA test them I guess. One bronze whaler shark in my freezer is about 20kg of fillets.
Bigjobss

Post by Rod_outbak » 26 Dec 2018, 9:10 pm

TassieTiger,

I'd bet they have the right to search anything, if you are on public land at the time they inspect you.

On public land, they seem to believe that they can inspect anything in your possession.
I'd be hesitant to piss them off; better to openly video record their behavior, in case you need it.
Any public official SHOULD be polite and professional at all times; I would think.
Just make sure all of your crew also stay polite at all times, to not give them cause to escalate it.

From what I've seen here, fishos only ever pursue anyone onto private land when they have rock-solid info that there is something going on (people netting or geligniting waterholes etc), and there are usually police in attendance, in those events.
However, nearly all of their time seems to be checking on people fishing on public land/waterways.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Dec 2018, 10:15 pm

duncan61 wrote::crazy: :crazy: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I know you are tassie but you put sharks in your gun safe????????

No, Marlin :D
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Dec 2018, 12:04 am

Bigjobss wrote:

Thoughts??

Wait what the fishing ammendments dictate how many fish you can have in your freezer? Wtf is this bullcrap?
All I can think of is how do you practically police the amount of fish someone has. I have fillets of god knows how many diffrerent fish from the last year in mine, go ahead and DNA test them I guess. One bronze whaler shark in my freezer is about 20kg of fillets.

The new(ish) rules in tassie are pretty strict - and yes, apply to fish in your possession, at your house. Meaning - fisheries inspectors can knock on your door and apparently demand you open your (insert what ever here) to count / check possession limits.
The local rag is often used to nail the point home - headlines advising of insane fines and confiscations of boats, fishing equipment, vehicles, etc etc for excess crayfish, excess abalone, etc.
I’ve heard of huge fines for excess fish found in pensioners homes - which is a bit harsh as ppl will often help out older family and friends and stock their freezers over winter from various sources. (Even calamari now has a limit and their life cycle is 1 year!)
It’s all about managing resources and I agree to an extent with what they are trying to do.
But, power trippers who abuse their position really really grate against me...

Yes, in hindsight we should have had the iPhones on and recording their behaviour.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by duncan61 » 27 Dec 2018, 3:19 am

Like the Marlin comeback.Very witty.Authorities can be pushy.We have a season for Marron here that is strictly controlled.I was at a large dam just after open season and the late afternoon shade had darkened up the bank enough that a few had come on to the baits from the night before and I had 2 good size when fisheries popped out the bush.They were visibly annoyed when I had the licence and size gauge around my neck and was sober and compliant.Its a mind set.A local river would produce at midday and open day I went out and bagged up on 10 Marron I was chatting about it at the tennis club when one person declared were they all size.No lady I only keep the little ones.Same river different year I took a couple of river monsters to show my son where he worked and a staff member stated they will hang you if you get caught with them.It was open season.Why are the public so scared to live is this how they want us to be???.The crab season is about to be modified to open later as The size limit is hard to get early in the season but after Christmas all the blues are good size and full it just makes sense.Recfishwest do a good job of keeping the balance and I am proud to be a member.Shoot it catch it and eat it I do
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Dec 2018, 5:16 am

I tend to agree. I think as a society we are too scared, and only like to live inside a square box, and when told the box is becoming smaller, we go OK.

look at the speed kills madness, every time an accident happens cops come on tv and radio and spew that speed was the only reason, even though it was very easily a contributory factor including say tiredness. So much so that ppl will call you a killer for driving 5km over the limit on a empty highway on a clear day. Then look at the firearms situation, where registries can ban a gun on looks...ffs it should be the function, my black bolt action gun is no more lethal than anyone bolt action gun.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Dec 2018, 6:12 am

The speeding dribble is a personal hate...it’s not about safety in any way, shape or form.
As a motorcycle instructor I was also trained up by AAMI to teach young drivers (under 25) about stopping distances, sliding, collision avoidance, car control, etc - there were 3 trainers per 4 students.
We were paid a pittance but believed we were making a difference.
AAMI covered our wages and the govt paid the $100 a weekend for the venue.
The course ran for 2 years and AAMI reported the stats RE ppl having done the course - improvements were so huge, they offered a lifetime 25% insurance discount for attendees who completed said course.
But - government said venue was to expensive and cancelled their contribution...I could give many similar examples. Nope - the govt speeding rant is about revenue raising but using safety blurbs as to bewilder the “sheep”.

I challenge every single speeding fine I or my family get - not that we all get a shed load between us - but I’ve managed to get off 5/7 over the last 3 years..because I’m prepared to call them out.
They don’t really care, as long as 99.7% pay up, they will continue their with their revenue raising.
Tthis is one reason I’d like to better understand the powers fisheries have - it does seem that their search powers are endless...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Dec 2018, 9:46 am

7 speeding fines in 3 years Tas?
You inveterate scofflaw, you.

I'm not preaching the go slow doctrine, I often cruise above the 110, but if you want to go racing about the place Tas, at least get yourself a decent UHF 2-way so you can keep track of the wallopers. In town however, I never go over, no point attracting unwanted attention, plus my vehicle is rather distinctive.

I haven't been pinged in over 15yrs, probably jinxed myself now.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 27 Dec 2018, 11:01 am

TassieTiger wrote:The speeding dribble is a personal hate...it’s not about safety in any way, shape or form.
As a motorcycle instructor I was also trained up by AAMI to teach young drivers (under 25) about stopping distances, sliding, collision avoidance, car control, etc - there were 3 trainers per 4 students.
We were paid a pittance but believed we were making a difference.
AAMI covered our wages and the govt paid the $100 a weekend for the venue.
The course ran for 2 years and AAMI reported the stats RE ppl having done the course - improvements were so huge, they offered a lifetime 25% insurance discount for attendees who completed said course.
But - government said venue was to expensive and cancelled their contribution...I could give many similar examples. Nope - the govt speeding rant is about revenue raising but using safety blurbs as to bewilder the “sheep”.

I challenge every single speeding fine I or my family get - not that we all get a shed load between us - but I’ve managed to get off 5/7 over the last 3 years..because I’m prepared to call them out.
They don’t really care, as long as 99.7% pay up, they will continue their with their revenue raising.
Tthis is one reason I’d like to better understand the powers fisheries have - it does seem that their search powers are endless...

Speeding doesnt kill, it can be a factor but innatentive, inconsiderate and hesitant drivers who putt along in their own little bubbles cause chaos on the roads as they a moving hazard that piss people off and encourage road rage like behaviour. Wipe off 5 save lives my ass, why not add 5 over a 2 hour drive and spend less time on the road exposed to d**kheads on their phone.
Bigjobss

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Dec 2018, 12:18 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:7 speeding fines in 3 years Tas?
You inveterate scofflaw, you.

I'm not preaching the go slow doctrine, I often cruise above the 110, but if you want to go racing about the place Tas, at least get yourself a decent UHF 2-way so you can keep track of the wallopers. In town however, I never go over, no point attracting unwanted attention, plus my vehicle is rather distinctive.

I haven't been pinged in over 15yrs, probably jinxed myself now.

My speeding is now done at the track...its way to dangerous on the roads in more ways than one. The 7 speeding fines are spread across family members over a number of years and I offer to help out or at least quiz the buggers to a court appearance - my wife got pinged 62 in a 50 zone last month and I was done for 55 in a temp road works (150klms of midlands highway) nominated at 40 kmh...I’m not what you’d call a hoon lol...notvuntil I get to a closed circuit anyway. Tracks = Cheaper, safer and much more fun...

We are currently introducing guardian eye monitors in fleet vehicles at work. Thus far, they have proven pretty amazing - vibrating the seat hard when ever it detects a slowly closing eye or similar...I too believe fatigue (dui -?) is probably the biggest issue on our roads.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Dec 2018, 6:36 pm

It's alright Tas, I was just tugging on your todger. :lol:

:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 27 Dec 2018, 9:14 pm

may be you should just ring up and ask what the Inspectors roll is :
Inland Fisheries Service
Head Office
17 Back River Rd, New Norfolk, Tasmania 7140
PO Box 575, New Norfolk, Tasmania 7140
Phone (03) 6165 3808
1300 INFISH (1300 463 474)
Fax (03) 6173 0246
Email infish@ifs.tas.gov.au
Website www.ifs.tas.gov.au
Manager, Compliance and Operations 0438 338 530 inland fishing price is fing high 5 Season licence – One Adult 1 Rod $360.00
5 Season licence – One Adult 2 Rod $435.00
salt water fishing just saw that you need a licence and that its quiet costly Recreational Fishing Enquiries
Recreational Fisheries Section
1 Franklin Wharf
Hobart TAS 7001
Phone: 03 6165 3233, 1300 720 647
Email: fishing.enquiries@dpipwe.tas.gov.au Standard Licence:
$55.30 - first licence (base fee of $47.40 plus $7.90 for first licence). Each additional licence type - $7.90.​ up to 9 types of add on,s
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 28 Dec 2018, 8:30 am

Gday all
Here in qld all fishing related legislation is covered in the Fisheries Act 1994.
I assume other staes would have their own Act. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Dec 2018, 10:04 am

pomemax wrote:may be you should just ring up and ask what the Inspectors roll is :
Inland Fisheries Service
Head Office
17 Back River Rd, New Norfolk, Tasmania 7140
PO Box 575, New Norfolk, Tasmania 7140
Phone (03) 6165 3808
1300 INFISH (1300 463 474)
Fax (03) 6173 0246
Email infish@ifs.tas.gov.au
Website http://www.ifs.tas.gov.au
Manager, Compliance and Operations 0438 338 530 inland fishing price is fing high 5 Season licence – One Adult 1 Rod $360.00
5 Season licence – One Adult 2 Rod $435.00
salt water fishing just saw that you need a licence and that its quiet costly Recreational Fishing Enquiries
Recreational Fisheries Section
1 Franklin Wharf
Hobart TAS 7001
Phone: 03 6165 3233, 1300 720 647
Email: fishing.enquiries@dpipwe.tas.gov.au Standard Licence:
$55.30 - first licence (base fee of $47.40 plus $7.90 for first licence). Each additional licence type - $7.90.​ up to 9 types of add on,s

Yeah - you don’t need a salt water licence for a rod in Tas (yet)....you do need a licence for a net, cray pot, and similar for salt water. Inland fish (trout) is managed tightly and licences are required for everything.
Yes - will be contacting the fishy establishment seeking out the law so I know...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Dec 2018, 1:40 pm

Well either they are .....or they would like you to believe that they have.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation