Vehicle storage

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Vehicle storage

Post by Bent Arrow » 28 Dec 2018, 1:08 pm

At the range the other day I saw a guy had a small safe bolted into the bed of his ute for temporary storage whilst travelling and camping etc. Seems on the face of it like a good idea, but on hot days it must get pretty hot inside the safe. Has anyone here done this, and have any evidence based thoughts on if it would be seriously detrimental to a rifle/shotgun/scope?

Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Vehicle storage

Post by pomemax » 28 Dec 2018, 2:02 pm

see a lot of guys using the tool draw under the bed of a 1 toner often wonder if you could reinforce that RE: stronger lock and stuff.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Dec 2018, 5:15 pm

G'day Bent Arrow,
Your firearm is a pretty tough thing, and whatever temp it reaches inside a box is very unlikely to have a detrimental effect. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 28 Dec 2018, 5:44 pm

Heat cycling may cause problems with condensation and waterproofing may not be up to scratch, other than that its the same as using a toolbox on a tray. I suspect many of us have been using toolboxes for transport for years- I know I have.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Dec 2018, 12:21 pm

pomemax wrote:see a lot of guys using the tool draw under the bed of a 1 toner often wonder if you could reinforce that RE: stronger lock and stuff.

Anything is possible, depending on how many $$$ you throw at the project.

I did have ideas of building an insulated/dustproof/waterproof sliding full tray length drawer underneath that would have equaled gun safe regulations.
Apart from the fact that a whole vehicle can still be stolen,, it was a good idea.

Alas, too many other projects saw this idea shelved. :roll:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment