Cleaning solvents

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Cleaning solvents

Post by Zappa » 22 Dec 2018, 6:57 pm

I collect my oil, coolant and take it to the SCA bins or to the refuse centre for recycling. I'll do the same for the patches. Regardless of quantity and the amount of residual lead, copper and carbon, It's just the right thing to do.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2018, 7:36 pm

Zappa wrote:I collect my oil, coolant and take it to the SCA bins or to the refuse centre for recycling. I'll do the same for the patches. Regardless of quantity and the amount of residual lead, copper and carbon, It's just the right thing to do.

I save my oil and coolant and such and drop it in at the local tip where they collect it for recycling. I don't think anywhere collects oily rags for recycling.

We are currently clearing out a couple decades of old oils that Rose's dad has been saving. The tip won't take large amounts so we drop off eight litres every week, even though they know we're doing it that's the only way they let us :-) Still a few hundred litres to get through.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't as much residual lead in the empty ammo boxes as there would be on your patches. Consider that a 40gn lead bullet can be recovered at the target still weighing 40gn. Deduct any lead that is destroyed during it's flight, it's not likely there's much being left in the bore. When you clean a .22LR bore you are cleaning out lube, not lead. If you are getting leading in a .22LR there is a problem somewhere. Likewise for jacketed bullets, you'd probably have no more than a couple grains of copper left in the bore after several hundred rounds, in a really bad barrel. As for powder residue, the vast majority is spat out the muzzle behind the bullet...into the environment.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Dec 2018, 8:09 pm

Zappa wrote: I'll do the same for the patches. Regardless of quantity and the amount of residual lead, copper and carbon, It's just the right thing to do.

:crazy:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Dec 2018, 4:01 pm

You should use a bore guide to protect you barrel, even when using a plastic coated rod. Remove all the copper fouling, no such thing as a barrel shooting better with some copper seasoning. I use boretec cu but Sweets or Ballistol copper remover work well to.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Dec 2018, 4:07 pm

I also like to cut my own patches from scrap material. I can adjust the size of the patch to suit the bore size. I see guys bashing overly tight patches down their barrel when using pre cut patches. If I find my first patch too loose I cut the next one a bit bigger until I get it right.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Zappa » 28 Dec 2018, 4:25 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I also like to cut my own patches from scrap material. I can adjust the size of the patch to suit the bore size.

Hmmm. Wouldn't that be a function of patch thickness rather than size ? Bunching up the bigger patch on the jag head to adjust for bore size seems counterproductive. What am I missing?
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Dec 2018, 4:37 pm

You need to try a pea sized patch on you jag, runs through the bore with no resistance, stick a handkerchief sized patch and it gets stuck. Somewhere in between is the perfect sized patch. The bunching around the sides of the jag causes the friction.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Zappa » 28 Dec 2018, 4:44 pm

Lol. I understand the physics behind that.
However the most optimum cleaning methodology in the bore , would be to have the patch contact the whole area across the jag head which translates to the most contact area in the bore when you push the rod through.

Bunching up the patch creating mini pleats across the circumference of the jag seems less than optimal .
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Dec 2018, 5:11 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I also like to cut my own patches from scrap material. I can adjust the size of the patch to suit the bore size. I see guys bashing overly tight patches down their barrel when using pre cut patches. If I find my first patch too loose I cut the next one a bit bigger until I get it right.

I use pre-cut patches as well as cutting my own from "two-by-four" to suit specific jobs.
But I double- or triple-fold the patches rather than just cut bigger ones.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Dec 2018, 5:16 pm

Zappa wrote:Lol. I understand the physics behind that.
However the most optimum cleaning methodology in the bore , would be to have the patch contact the whole area across the jag head which translates to the most contact area in the bore when you push the rod through.

Bunching up the patch creating mini pleats across the circumference of the jag seems less than optimal .

I doubt it actually makes a difference, the contact area of the bore is governed by the bore diameter. The front part of the patch is doing the work, the rest is just along for the ride really. If you get too much friction with a single patch thickness there's a chance of punching the jag through the material, that's why I prefer to fold a smaller patch.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 28 Dec 2018, 6:16 pm

My line of work in engineering has me questioning designs for various tools.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20110107646

Summary of invention where it describes the fins and gaps of the patented jag.
Interesting read.
Next time you start cutting into your bonds, try covering the jag as.much as possible without bunching. Done right, you'll get a better cleaning experience without very.little friction increase. Works for me :thumbsup:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 28 Dec 2018, 10:55 pm

Yes look up and use the Parker Hale style jag a much better proposition when it comes to cleaning.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by JimTom » 29 Dec 2018, 8:05 am

sungazer wrote:Yes look up and use the Parker Hale style jag a much better proposition when it comes to cleaning.

My old bloke used the Parker Hale system for cleaning and swears by it. It does take a bit longer to wrap the jag compared to a patch on a normal jag. I reckon it would do a better job, nevertheless I haven’t had any prob with the normal jags, and barrel always seem to be clean.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Dec 2018, 3:01 pm

sungazer wrote:Yes look up and use the Parker Hale style jag a much better proposition when it comes to cleaning.

This is my preferred method with a jag. If I need to use a brush I also wrap it with a patch so it carries the crud out.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment