Forgive my ignorance but,,,,,

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Forgive my ignorance but,,,,,

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Dec 2018, 6:47 pm

Can some-one please give me some info on Range Finders, eg: the difference between Laser and Digital ?

And, advantages or disadvantages of either.

Thanks in advance.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Forgive my ignorance but,,,,,

Post by Wombat » 28 Dec 2018, 7:27 pm

I think anything available to us that does useful (for shooting) distances is going to be Laser. Digital just means using microprocessors in this application.
Powerful Radar and Lidar are restricted in Australia ( I believe - no source) and ultrasonic currently doesn't have the reach.
My elcheapo anaconda rangefinder is surprisingly accurate.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Dec 2018, 7:42 pm

Thanks Wombat, I've had nothing to do with these things, and a friend asked me.
I said I'd try and get an answer here for him.
Cheers :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Chappo » 28 Dec 2018, 9:25 pm

Anyone ever bought the cheap ebay rangefinders that they advertise for hunting / golf?
Are they a waste of money?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 28 Dec 2018, 9:27 pm

i just use a cheap laser one but still good to 300,,, can get a reading out to 450 but its a rarity that i can hold it still enough for that,,, :unknown:

pros cheap
cons not very good for long range

:thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 28 Dec 2018, 9:39 pm

Digital is a wank word designed to impress the punters that the unit contains some high tech electronicky...All laser range finders use a digital processor to do the math and display the results. They increase in price as the working range increases due to having to use better quality optics / more powerful lasers. That doesn't mean you need to spend big bucks to find a quality unit, a low cost unit can measure the range of a deer out to 300-400 yds. where as the expensive version will range it out past 1800yds. Much will depend on the type of terrain you'll be using it in as some of the budget models are fussy about trees, bushes and the like.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Dec 2018, 10:17 pm

Chappo wrote:Anyone ever bought the cheap ebay rangefinders that they advertise for hunting / golf?

I bought a cheap eBay range finder, it works as well as a friends Leupold but is twice the size. It has been durable and fairly accurate for the last four years.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Dec 2018, 11:30 pm

I bought a 1000yard eBay special for 120 and it matches a friends bushnell to within a yard - but it only measures to 6-700 yards in very good conditions. You can range a tree at 400yards no probs but after that you need some reflectivity in your target with mine.
It also records speed - very handy when out...it’s rechargeable, switches between various modes easily, switches off automatically, it’s half decent lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Dec 2018, 9:34 am

Thanks heaps fellas,
When Brett mentioned the longer distances that some of em work, it made me realize that I'd failed to say that my mate only needs one for bow hunting.
I guess 1600 meters would be just a tad excessive for his needs. :lol:

All good info,,, thanks
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 29 Dec 2018, 10:19 am

Get a cheap one that is targeted towards golfers. It would be perfect for bow hunting.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 29 Dec 2018, 6:00 pm

Chappo wrote:Anyone ever bought the cheap ebay rangefinders that they advertise for hunting / golf?

My mate had one that worked well until we ran over it on trip. Did all the things it needed to do.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics