End of year review

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

End of year review

Post by Noisydad » 31 Dec 2018, 5:08 pm

Tis the the end of the year and time for the annual reflection and review so tell us how your shooting year went...

I somehow ended up not hunting again - dunno where the weeks are going!

Competition shooting was somewhat better and more enjoyable though, having managed 45 podium finishes for the year (1 up on last year) as well as two club championships for .577/.58 with my Zoli built 1863 Remington and 200 yd BPCR with my 147 yo, Husqvarna rolling block .50-70.

Two more antique shootin irons came home. One of em a freebie. Another loading press (5 now lol) and yet another crazy expensive set of dies (.577-450) with a matching expensive bullet mold were added to the collection.

I shot at The North East Muzzle Loaders spring rendezvous in glorious weather. Had a crack at the SSAA N.S.W. BPCR Silhouette Championships. I fired 130 shots from 200-500 m with my Sharps .40-65 which was 3.5 kg of lead for the weekend. It was held at Rankin Springs in a howling, gale force wind and managed 2 podium places. Gamerancher if you can do something about that hurricane this year it'd be much appreciated!

4 kg of smokefull was burnt for the year, I sent 12 kg of lead down range but picked up 140 kg of scrap range lead to make into new wrecking balls and torpedoes. Dont think I fired a single shot of that silly smokeless stuff for whole year!
May the new year be as much fun! :D
Last edited by Noisydad on 31 Dec 2018, 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Re: End of year review

Post by bigpete » 31 Dec 2018, 5:24 pm

You need to get hunting....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 31 Dec 2018, 5:48 pm

From a shooting perspective, 2018 was a good 'un. I started the year with buying my first centerfire rifle, a Howa 223 and a 3 gun safe, followed by a 22LR, a 308 (another Howa) and was given a 177 air rifle (and second safe from my dear old dad). Got into reloading with a Lee press and dies.

Went to the range 41 times, and hunting 3 times. Bought myself a used 4wd dual cab with the aim of getting out & hunting more, range shooting less.

My New Years resolution is to encourage as many of my friends and family to come out with me some time to the range and try it, with the aim that at least 2 of them will get their licences and join our shooting fraternity. Populate or Perish is the slogan for 2019.

Learned heaps from you all on this forum about all things shooting.

Wishing all of you all the best for a fantastic 2019.
Member-Deleted

Post by JimTom » 31 Dec 2018, 6:56 pm

Well not a bad year at all really.
Introduced a 6.5CM to the safe, had 3 x 10 day trips away chasing swine, plenty of trips to the range working up new loads for various calibres.
Managed to get a few good deals on projectiles and brass too.
Look forward to working on some .308 reduced loads for a bit of fun in the New Year using AR2206H and Trailboss.
Happy New Year to everyone.
:drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 31 Dec 2018, 7:07 pm

well, i bought , traded and swapped about six rifles this year, got away for about four hunting trips and got a lot of good goat meat and some wabbits for the freezer. got my 222 bedded and rebarreled and shootin' well . :D works steady and life's good . thanks for all the help, advice and opinions from all you characters on this forum. hope your years bin good and next years a whole lot better . best wishes for you and your family , and stay safe one and all. cheers from bigrich

:D :D :D :D :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Dec 2018, 7:39 pm

Not much for me. Only managed a few foxes and as many rabbits. But it all changes in about a year.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 31 Dec 2018, 9:37 pm

I added 8 firearms to the collection
Loaded in excess of 100,000 rounds
Deposited >80kg of copper, lead and aluminium into various backstops and pests
Added 2 National titles to the tally
My son became a full member of the Pistol club
Taught the boy how to handle a multitude of rifles and pistols
Trolled numerous FB Anti Gun groups
Got banned from numerous FB Anti Gun groups
Survived "Plinkfest 2018" with my Heterosexuality intact
Witnessed a human taking a dump through a Thermal Weapon sight from 150m...That's actually friggen hilarious :lol:
All in all a good year I guess :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 01 Jan 2019, 2:32 am

A very transitional year for me. On the competition front I failed big time. I had planned to shoot at least one Swiss match, some IDPA and some Steel Challenge. Didn't do any of it for various reasons. One of which I got very busy with work, which on one hand was good for the money and second, we had El Nino kick in and it rained and rained. The main range I compete at ended up with the ranges washed out for 3 months and by the time they got it semi squared away, November turned very cold with a big snowstorm.

Also didn't use my own range as much for the same reasons, weather and lots of work. But this December ended up having two shooting days with friends over and despite the cold, just got the fire pit up at the range fired up with a big bonfire to stay warm.

Reloading got disrupted due to construction on the barn to double it's size. Learned a lot of lessons there, but it was a 15 month ordeal with a few more days of interior work to go this week. The upside with that is I have a big space for reloading and gun stuff with multiple workbenches and shelves.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 01 Jan 2019, 7:10 am

brett1868 wrote:I added 8 firearms to the collection
Loaded in excess of 100,000 rounds
Deposited >80kg of copper, lead and aluminium into various backstops and pests
Added 2 National titles to the tally
My son became a full member of the Pistol club
Taught the boy how to handle a multitude of rifles and pistols
Trolled numerous FB Anti Gun groups
Got banned from numerous FB Anti Gun groups
Survived "Plinkfest 2018" with my Heterosexuality intact
Witnessed a human taking a dump through a Thermal Weapon sight from 150m...That's actually friggen hilarious :lol:
All in all a good year I guess :)

that sounds like a good year :lol: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 Jan 2019, 7:37 am

I see most had a good year. Mine was good. Got my first gun a rim fire...then my first centerfire. And decided to sell my first rimfire (the gun i shot the least). Got into reloading and decent amount of range time.

Hopefully 2019 is as good if not better an 18.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Lifesaride » 01 Jan 2019, 8:12 am

Not to bad a year for me, trapped the first of many wild dogs. Caught up with the crackhead neighbours dogs, they won’t be killing anymore cattle. Couple of reds for the freezer and 7am yesterday morning looked up and had a 90kg boar looking at me 25-30m off the front patio, and managed to drop him before he made it over the ridge.
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jan 2019, 9:00 am

Well done jimtom. You just spent 1/12 of the year in the scrub chasing pigs. While most of us were at work chasing the almighty stupid dollar Keep up the great work
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Jan 2019, 10:38 am

2019 will be, for the first few months, about shedding part of 2018.

I ate way too much home made bacon and washed it down, like a true hillbilly, with way too much moonshine, now there is way too much of me, I started a couple of weeks ago so there is 5kg less for a head start, only 15 more to go.

I finally found the combination my Howa likes best and it now shoots 1 hole groups at 100, and accounted for 312 wascally waaabbits, nowhere near my best year's total of 641, but better than nothing.

Wasted days and days following tracks and looking at pig sh!t without a single pig to show for the efforts.

Saw one solitary fox, just too dark to see the reticle, illuminating battery flat, bugger trotted off with a freshly popped rabbit.
"We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when, but I know we'll meet again some sunny day".
Or some darkling evening when my illumination's working.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 01 Jan 2019, 11:43 am

2018 plenty of range practice, a couple of hunts with 1 bunny to show for it, but have started to pick up more knowledge . Safe getting fuller with 22lr, 223 and 6.5CM as occupiers, have a series of hunts planned for the year (have started rearanging the rest of my life so i am no longer tied to a small business 7 days a week) but the rest of summer is for chasing big silver things with beaks that live in the deep blue, off for a fish tommorrow!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 01 Jan 2019, 5:23 pm

Blr243 wrote:Well done jimtom. You just spent 1/12 of the year in the scrub chasing pigs. While most of us were at work chasing the almighty stupid dollar Keep up the great work

Thanks mate. Never looked at it like that. I guess working a touring roster affords ample time off to get out in the scrub busting oinkers.
Hopefully I get a few more trips this year.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 02 Jan 2019, 4:43 pm

I had a pretty good year hunting, bagged out both days duck opening however I didnt go again for the rest of year.
Shot my first fallow along with 5 sambar for about 10 trips stalking effort so very happy with that return and put away a couple hares, dogs and cat.

2019 I want to concentrate more on mature stags, saw a couple this year I couldnt get shot at. Have a couple spotlighting properties lined up for deer so the freezer will be full and my recreational hunting should be a little more selective.

Fallow again in NSW, reds in SA, more duck hunting time and hopeing to get a crack at the tassie fallow ballot too.

If only I didnt have to work :D :drinks:
Bigjobss

Return to Off topic - General conversation